Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

BLUE COVE
04/25/1999

Tommy was angry and desperate. He had decided to follow Jarod's advice, once again. He'd spoken with Parker the morning before, he'd told her about Portland and his intention to leave. Portland was already waiting for them, and he needed to go soon.

The realtor had been very nice, seeing that he had known Thomas for most of his life. He still had to sign the papers, but he was the new owner of the house, by now.

Parker's reaction had been exactly the one he had been expecting of her. She'd gotten scared. She was terrified, and Thomas knew. The idea of leaving her job and family was unacceptable to her; and yet, he couldn't understand her behavior. Parker was almost panicking.

So, when he'd she had showed up to his place to "talk", he'd figured out her intent at once: She had come to break up with him.

Their quarrel had been fast and final, Parker had left him no choice. She had put on her Ice Queen façade – a nickname he had once heard Jarod use to define Miss Parker's usual self – and she had excluded him from her life.

Thomas hadn't slept at all, that night. He wanted to call Jarod, but he hadn't found him. So, he had opted to do what Jarod would have suggested. He had decided to settle things once and for all, so he had gone straight to The Centre, waiting for Parker to show up.

She had been upset to see him there, she hadn't expected to have to face him again. But she had also looked a bit – worried?

They'd fought, again. Tommy wanted her to understand how much he cared for her, that she was following her father's will, not her own.

If Jarod had taught him something, it was that she still behaved like her father wished her to, not like she wanted to.

Jarod's words had been crystal clear about that taboo subject.

"We had kind of a huge fight a few years ago. I wanted her to confront her father, she didn't, and since then we – we don't talk anymore."

Then she had screamed in exasperation, criticizing his life and the fact he didn't have commitments at all.

'This is a commitment. Can't you see that?'

The echo of his own words was still resounding in his mind. How could Parker believe that she had obligations towards a family that didn't even understand her?

She had spoken about relationships, and he had been so close in revealing his friendship with Jarod, because he seemed to be the only person who really cared for Parker's happiness.

And she didn't even know!

She couldn't imagine that the just-a-boy-she-used-to-know-when-she-was-a-kid was the puppeteer behind this relationship, the one who had lit the torch between them.

And Jarod also wanted Parker to leave, he approved of Tommy's idea of going as far as possible from that damned place.

Parker had said she had a life, but Tommy wasn't sure anymore that she was ready to share it with him. He had begged her not to make him leave without her, but he didn't know if she would finally accept her feelings.

He could only hope.


He continuously tried to call her, but she didn't answer the phone. He also left her a few messages, but she hadn't called him back, yet. He was abandoning all hope.

Suddenly his phone rang, it took him just a second to answer.

"Parker?"

"No, it's Jarod. Hey, you sound worried, buddy. Did I miss something?"

Thomas sighed. He was glad to finally hear from his friend, but he'd been hoping it was Parker speaking.

"Well, I – I think it's over, Jarod. Parker gave me the boot."

"What do you mean? She gave you a pair of boots as present?"

Thomas chuckled, not sure if Jarod was serious or just teasing him.

"I told her about Portland, Jarod. I think she won't come."

Jarod couldn't believe his ears. He was sure that Thomas would be able to melt Miss Parker's heart, but now he was realizing he had been too hasty. He had to help him. He didn't know what to do, he hadn't been speaking with Miss Parker for days, he was trying to let her go. It was very hard to talk with her and pretend not to be Tommy's friend, not to admit he'd been the one to introduce Thomas into her life.

Not to tell her what he truly felt about her.

"What am I going to do, Jarod? I've been to that place too, The Centre, but it seems like I've pissed her off even more."

"You showed up to The Centre?" Jarod inquired him urgently, worried for his friend's safety.

"Yes, and you sound as preoccupied as she was when she saw me there. What the hell happens in that place, Jarod? Will you tell me?"

Jarod sympathized with Miss Parker's worries. Thomas was a thorn in her father's side, he shouldn't have gone to the Centre. But it was too late, now. Jarod would take care of this later, should it be necessary.

"Where is she now?" Jarod asked him, voluntarily ignoring his last question.

"I think she's at home. Home. Such a meaningless word to me, now."

"Why?"

Jarod was curious. He'd always dreamed to have a home, to be reunited with his family. How could Tommy deny the importance of having one?

"Because since my parents died, I've felt at home just once: since I met Parker."

Jarod was speechless, threatening tears at the corner of his eyes. This was too much, for him.

"I didn't know anything about love, before meeting Parker. The first time I've experienced that feeling it was when I looked into her eyes. It felt like – like I had found my place in the world again."

Jarod sighed, "Did you ever tell her that?"

Now it was Tommy's turn to sigh, "No. But I did tell her that I love her. And she's never said it back to me."

"Miss Parker's words are never as important as her actions. I'm sure she loves you, too."

"I wish you were right."

"Hold on, buddy. Give her a chance."

"I'll be waiting forever, man. I love her too damn much."

Jarod's face turned into a sad smile. He hung up and decided to dial another number.

He had to help them both. And if Miss Parker needed a little boost, he was the only one who could give it to her.


Miss Parker's phone rang many times. Jarod was afraid she would not answer. He was proven wrong when Miss Parker picked up the receiver and spoke.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to hurt you, Tommy."

For a moment, Jarod felt like he was dying. She had never addressed him in such a soft and lovely way. Thomas was a lucky man, indeed.

"No. it's me."

Jarod could imagine Miss Parker's disappointment at the realization that he was the one speaking.

He knew she meant what she just said. She didn't want to hurt Thomas, but she was making him suffer, and not only Thomas. Herself, too.

"Jarod. You got another clever message for me?"

"I only wanted you to know that Thomas was selling. From the sound of your voice, you've already discussed it."

Jarod wanted desperately to tell her the truth. He wanted to shout that he knew because Thomas had told him a few moments ago. That he knew because he was his friend. He was her friend. But he couldn't.

"Yeah. He's moving to Oregon. He wants me to go with him."

She sounded softened, in a certain way. So, Jarod dared even more.

"So go."

Miss Parker made a half laugh, "You'd like that, wouldn't you? It's too late anyway."

Jarod now was fully aware that she did care for Thomas. That she truly wanted things to be different. She was looking for a turning point, but she was too afraid to see it, even if it was right in front of her face.

"You picked a fight with him, didn't you?"

Both Jarod and Miss Parker remained silent for a few seconds. He wanted her to understand that he knew too much, and probably Miss Parker figured out that this was too weird even for a pretender like Jarod. How could he know that she had a discussion with Thomas?

"This isn't what you want, Miss Parker!"

Miss Parker thought that Jarod sounded just like Thomas when he had told her that she didn't mean what she said, that it was her father talking, not her.

"Why does everybody suddenly know what I want?"

Jarod was scared because he did know what she wanted. He had known for years, decades. He knew her so well that he had sent her the only man who could help her change her life.

"Your mother always knew. She was trying to leave the Centre the day that she was killed. She wanted to take you as far away from there as possible."

He had done his magic. Whenever he mentioned Catherine, Miss Parker lowered the walls she had built years before. He knew that she was listening.

"That's what Thomas wants. It's no coincidence."

Miss Parker hung up. Jarod was very worried for her, but he didn't have time. He was in the middle of a pretend, and he needed to stay focused, even if it was very difficult to let everything go.

He could only hope that his message had reached its destination: Miss Parker's heart.


Tommy couldn't believe his eyes when he saw Parker entering his bedroom.

Had she finally surrendered to her feelings?

It felt like heaven. She was there, with him. Ready to finally open herself to a "stranger".

"There are things about me, things that you need to know before you make me a part of your life."

She hadn't even let him answer. He could only listen to her.

"You were right. It wasn't me talking. I haven't been me for a long time, not since...I think you made me realize that...there are places in me Tommy, dark places."

At that moment, Tommy remembered one of his conversations with Jarod.

"Because you must know her on you own. There will be dark places inside her. Very dark places. And you must be ready to accept them if you want this to work."

"You are afraid that I would reject her, should I find out she's too – weird?"

"Not weird. Tortured."

And so, he had said the only things she'd been needing to hear from him.

"And you're afraid that if I see them, that I'll reject you? Parker, if something is not right, we'll deal with it, together. I'm a fixit man, remember?"

"I guess that makes me your new project."

"And this one I'll never sell."


When Parker finally fell asleep, Thomas called Jarod.

He could tell he was driving because of all the background noise. He was also listening to the radio.

"This is Jarod."

"Hey, man! Where are you going?"

"Thomas! Your voice sounds more relieved. Does it mean that – ?"

"Yes, it does. Parker came back tonight. She's ready to leave with me. And she wants to talk with her father, too."

Jarod sighed in relief. He was so glad to hear that news. And he was even happier because he knew that, in a certain way, it was all to his credit.

"I'm very happy for you, buddy. I'm sure you're going to make her happy."

"Jarod."

"What?" he asked, his voice almost a soft moan.

"I know you've got something to do with that. She changed her mind, and I don't know how. But thank you."

"I've nothing to do with that, Tommy. But I must warn you about her father. It's not going to be easy for him to let her go. He's, uhm, very protective."

"She told me. I hope it'll all work out."

"It will."

"You know, Jarod. She told me almost the same things you said about her. She confessed she's got dark memories in her past. Dark places she keeps hidden inside. She made me think about you."

"I told you, I used to know her well." Jarod tried to minimize his bond with Miss Parker.

"It's not just that. It's like if. Ugh, never mind."

"What?" Jarod asked, with curiosity.

"I don't know. She was afraid I would reject her, should I see those places. Jarod, you were right about her. You were right about everything. And I'm never going to thank you enough for what you did for me. For us."

Jarod smiled. He cared for Thomas and Miss Parker. He truly wanted them to be happy. Maybe, by going so far from The Centre, they would find their happily ever after.

"I told you, you had to be strong, to win her heart. You did it. That's all that counts."

"I'm so afraid you will disappear now, Jarod. I don't want to lose you."

The pretender smiled to himself, "I'm not leaving, buddy. Not yet. I'll be in touch."

"I hope so. You're the best friend I've ever had, Jarod."

Jarod opened his eyes wide.

"Same here, Tommy."

He hung up and smiled sadly.

'Same here'.