Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

BLUE COVE
04/15/1999

Tommy and Parker were lying in her bed. He hadn't told her about the house he had bought in Portland, yet. It was too difficult. He didn't know where to start. The only thing he knew was that he loved her and didn't want to lose her.

That afternoon, they had talked about death. She had been so scared when he had told her he would leave her all his shirts, should he die. Then he had promised her not to go anywhere, but he was still thinking about the house that was waiting for him in Oregon.
No. Not only for him. For them.

And now, they were talking about her mother. Parker explained she was her whole life.

While looking at Catherine's picture, Tommy felt sad because he didn't have any photos of his family. So, he told Parker the truth about his own tragedy.

"My folks died when I was twenty. You know, I was so angry I just walked away. I don't have any photos of them. I wish now that I did."

"It's just a picture. It does make me feel connected to her, like she's protecting me."

"Yeah."

At that moment, he remembered Jarod's words about his mother and brother's pictures.
"It's just a bunch of pictures, but I don't know, they make me feel like – like they're still with me. Like Kyle's never gone, like my mother's watching over me."

Parker and Jarod were so similar, even if they had never realized.

Thomas was happy because Parker loved him, or at least she seemed to. But deep inside his heart, he knew that she felt something for Jarod. There was a very strong connection between them, and it was a pity that they couldn't see it, too.

"I'm sorry, baby."

It was the first time that Parker called him baby.

It felt so good.


While she was sleeping, Thomas stood up to call Jarod. He had to talk with him, and he really hoped to find him awake.

"Yeah?"

"Hope I didn't wake you."

"I don't sleep much at all, you know."

Jarod was happy to hear from his friend, "I heard you bought the house, I'm glad. Did you tell her?"

Thomas sighed, "Not yet."

"What are you waiting for?"

"A few moments ago, we talked about her mother's picture. The one she keeps on her bedside table."

"The one with Catherine's smiling and holding a baby Miss Parker. That's her favorite."

Thomas didn't really want to find out how Jarod could possibly know that detail.

"Yes. She told me the very same things you said about your family's photos. That she feels like Catherine's protecting her."

Jarod smiled. He knew the feeling. And he knew her. Better than anyone else.

"You two are so connected, Jarod. Sometimes, when she talks, it's like I'm listening to you, not to her. You think the same; you feel the same about so many things. It's like you were two…pieces of the same puzzle."

Jarod smiled for the analogy. He liked it.

"We grew up together, we had the same…background –"

"You had each other. I'm so thankful that she had you. She's the most amazing woman I've ever met."

"I know. And she deserves the truth. So, tell her about Portland. And hope she won't shoot at you."

"What do you mean?"

But Jarod had already hung up. He couldn't talk more because he felt lonely and desperate. And yet, he knew he was doing the right thing. He was letting her go, and she was in very good hands. Thomas's hands.