Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

I hope you like the way I handled their first meeting after so many years... If I had stayed very true to the characters, it wouldn't have come to this, because they would have been in contact somehow (even if just from Jarod's side), but it was more fun like this.


She had no idea where to look for him, though it shouldn’t be too hard now that he was a free man. The only problem was that she had said the same thing so many years ago, when she started to look for him the first time and that had turned into a four year hunt that didn’t end successful.
Sadly Sydney didn’t have phone time until the next day; he would probably know where to find Jarod. She decided on an operator.
“ABC Operator, what can I do for you?”
“Jarod, I guess he goes by Jarod Charles now, could you connect me?”
“We have no one by that name.”
“What about Jarod Green?”
The woman on the other line was typing something.
“Not either, sorry.”
“Any Jarod’s added to the list in the last 10 years over 40?”
“We’ve got one Jarod Parker here.”
Miss Parker smiled to herself. That was so much like Jarod, only he would name himself after her to tease her.
“That should be him, can you connect me?” she asked nicely.
“Of course, just a second.”
She waited patiently for the beeping sound.
“Jarod speaking.”
“Hey Stranger, it’s Parker. Long time no hear!”
“Parker, what a surprise, I haven’t talked to you…”
“Since you visited me in prison.”
“Yeah, that’s about right, what have you been up to?”
“Don’t tell me you don’t already know.” She said jokingly, knowing him well.
“To be honest, no. I’m over that stuff, I think it’s best to talk to the people to know what’s up with them.” He answered honestly. He sounded honest and that confused Parker a lot.
“I’m surprised! Though I have to agree, that’s the right way. Who made you that way?”
“Better yet what! It was freedom and knowledge.”
“Well, then we both found each other uninteresting recently.” She teased.
“I guess so Parker, I think we needed a break, but I’m happy you called now. It’s been too long.”
“Jarod, can we meet? I’ve got some stuff I want to talk to you about and it gives us a chance to catch up.”
“Sure, but where do you live?”
“Well, I moved to Fairview. Sydney is coming here as well when he gets out. I arranged a flat in my apartment building for him. I’ll text you the address later. When do you have time?”
“Oh, I thought I could just appear like in the good old days…” Jarod said, faking disappointment.
“No chance. Elias would know and have the police in the house faster as you can say ‘Joke’.”
“Is Elias your man?” Jarod asked interested.
“You really haven’t checked up on me. Wow, I thought that was just one of your games again.” Jane chuckled into the phone. “Elias in Parker Junior, my half-brother. I adopted him as soon as I could. I’m his last suitable, living relative. He is a pre-teen now and is way too interested in James Bond and guns if you ask me, but I see to it, that he gets out enough. He plays Basketball, has good grades in school and a lot of friends. That’s what’s important.”
“I see we have a lot to catch up on.”
“Back at you. I know nothing about you anymore. Might have something to do with the lack of red notebooks lying around these days.”
“Let’s talk tonight, is that alright with you?”
“Yeah, I’ll be home. Come around 8?”
“Sure.”
They finished their conversation and afterwards she sent him a text with the details. Eight was good, because Faith would be in bed by then and Elias wouldn’t come home until 9 from his friend’s house. She wanted to ease him in.
-
It was a few minutes past 8 and Jane was jittery. She had cooked a nice dinner, had put out a nice wine and dressed up a bit, but not too much. It was (only) Jarod, but in reality she wanted to make a good impression. She would not use foul language like she used to or call him names or badmouth anyone. She wanted him to be proud of her. When she realized one thing during her time in prison and afterwards, it was that Jarod really only wanted the best for her. He wanted her to leave the Centre and be free of them. He really wanted her to be happy and live the life he couldn’t.
It was already ten past eight and Jarod still wasn’t there. It really was not like him to be late, but then finally the doorbell rang and she buzzed him into the building. She heard his steps on the other side of the door and her breath caught in her thought, when he stopped and lightly knocked. This was it. She would see him again after about seven years.
She opened the door fully and there he was. Jarod as he was; a bit scruffy, well dressed and with a dark smirk on his lips. He stepped in and took off his jacket, which Jane took from him and hung it on a hanger by the door.
“Miss Parker, you look great.”
“Thank you Jarod, as do you.” She gestured him to come in. “Would you like something to drink?”
He didn’t answer immediately. “Jarod? Wine, Coke, Water?”
“Sorry, a Coke would be great, thanks. It’s just weird seeing you after so long. We spent so many years playing cat and mouse that I have to actively suppress my need to run.” He said and sat down on the couch, while Miss Parker handed him his drink. She drank water.
“I have to suppress the need to catch.” She answered, but winked at him.
“Why water? Where is your usual?”
“I don’t have hard liquor in the house anymore, I have no need to and I don’t drink without company. So, where do you live? Around here?” she asked out of interest.
“Just 20 minutes from here, but I had difficulties finding a parking space.”
“I should have warned you, it’s hell without a private parking space around here. I have two, but without the right license plate, you wouldn’t have been able to park there anyway.”
“Why two? Isn’t Elias too young to drive?”
“He is, but not his older sister Chloe. She is 21 and I bought her a car for her eighteenth birthday. ”
“But…”
He was interrupted by a beeping noise that came from a little white walkie talkie.
“Just a sec.” Parker was about to leave the room, when Faith stood in the doorway.
“What’s up Honey, can’t sleep?” Jane asked her daughter, picked her up and placed her on her hip.
“Nightlighty is off Mommy.” She said and wanted to add something, when she spotted Jarod, who looked at her with an awe struck face. “Who is that?” she whispered Jane in the ear.
“That’s Jarod; he is an old friend, go and say hello.” Miss Parker answered and put Faith down, who walked over to Jarod and stretched out her little hand.
“Hello, I am Faith and I am three.” She said and held up three fingers. Jarod was pulled out of his shock of seeing Miss Parker in a motherly role.
“Nice to meet you Faith, I am Jarod. You have a beautiful name.”
“Thank you, I am named after auntie Faith who is with the angels. She was mom’s good friend. Do you know her?” little Faith asked Jarod.
“Yes I knew her as well.”
“Come on pumpkin, time for bed. I’ll be right back Jarod; you can wait at the table if you like.” And Jane ushered Faith back into her room. She turned the nightlight back on, wrapped her daughter back into her blanket and gave her a big kiss.
“Night mommy.”
“Good night honey, sleep tight don’t let the bed bugs bite!”
She smiled at her and walked out of the room, but left the door slightly ajar. “Call me if something is wrong ok?”
“Ok mommy.”
Jane walked back into the living room, anxious to see his reaction, but found Jarod sitting at her table, as she had offered.
When a reaction wasn’t forthcoming, she decided to get the food first.
“I’ll be right back with the food.”
She returned with two plates of steak with salad and potatoes.
“I don’t know what you like, but I thought I couldn’t do anything wrong with a steak, since you are a man.”
“Not all men are into steak, but you’re in luck, I happen to love them.” He smiled and took one of the plates out of her hands. As she had sat down, Jane decided to start talking.
“So before I tell you why I need your help, please tell me about your life.” She asked and put her napkin onto her lab.
“I’m currently going through my second divorce; I guess I have to get the hang of long term relationships first. Both times I was so certain, that I had met the woman of my life. How stupid is that?”
“Not stupid at all. The people you spent most of your life with are either sitting in jail now, are dead or you haven’t spoken to them in years. I have the same problem, only that I have to blame myself.”
“Maybe you are right. I just have to give it time. And please Miss Parker, don’t blame yourself, you were just a kid yourself.”
“But I grew up and did nothing to change anything.” Miss Parker swirled the water in her glass absentmindedly.
“And you paid for it with years of your life. The way I see it you are making up for it by raising three sweet kids. How did that come to be anyway? I know about your brother, but what about Chloe and Faith?”
“Ah, I wondered when you’d ask.” She smiled and put her fork down. “After I was discharged on god behavior -” Jarod snorted.
“You, good behavior?” he asked and grinned some more. She threw daggers at him with her eyes.
“I’m a red file as well - if you can remember. I can behave myself if I have to. And I haven’t used one swear word or threat since you came tonight, have I?”
He stopped laughing. “No you haven’t, please continue.”
“Well, I got married after jail to a nice guy who reminded me a lot of Thomas, but of course he wasn’t, the marriage was designed for disaster. Well, we adopted Chloe when she was sixteen. She had just come out of her third foster home and she needed some stability.”
“How did you meet?”
“She stole my purse, the rest is history. She is great at everything she does; she just needed the right background to get started. Elias was already with me as you know, had stayed with the system while I was locked up and Faith is biological. I’m just sad she has to grow up without her dad living in the same house. It’s hard on her and Elias. Do you have any kids Jarod? I would imagine you have a full house.”
He smiled and finished of his steak before he answered. He cleaned his mouth with a sip of coke and turned to her again.
“I have a son in Faith’s age. My Ex and I named him Charles. Sadly he lives with her, but I have him as often as possible. So are you going to tell me what this is all about?” he asked.
She finished her food as well and signaled him to follow her. She rummaged in her handbag, before she pulled out a few pictures. She showed him the first one; it was of her and Tom Scavo having coffee. “This is Tom, the man I am currently dating. Divorced, half a dozen kids - clean.” She showed him the next one of Tom and Lyle/Mike. “And you already know the other guy. They used to live a couple of houses away from one another until Tom and his wife separated.”
Jarod stared at the picture and slowly took it from Miss Parker. “It can’t be! I searched for him myself for ages! I was sure he must have died or left the country. Tell me where he lives and I will turn him in personally.” He nearly screamed and looked up into Parkers eyes.





Chapter End Notes:

Please review ;)