Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This is growing faster than I expected so there have been regular updates, but I still dont know where its going yet.  Hope you enjoy the ride!

So please be patient as I hatch my first big story, I don't know how long this will take.

Enjoy :)  - all feedback appreciated!

Now with the promised smut :)



Its eight months since the momentous events had happened on Carthis.  Jarod has not been seen or heard from during this time, and even the Centre had given up waiting after 6 months.  Broots and Sydney were assigned back to other projects and Miss Parker got shunted sideways.  After a period of resentment, she found she didn't mind so much, the new regime had nothing to offer her now she had no powerbase, and it was a lot easier to get by if she kept her nose clean and flew under the radar.

In occasional moments of weakness she would replay the last conversation she had with Jarod.  Her signficant change in circumstances had bought some new realisations to her worldview.  Jarod had been right, but she couldn't hear it then.  She missed the late night calls, the banter and snark, the occasional insights......his voice.

Parker walked into her office, a tray of sushi in one hand and a water bottle in the other.  Deep in pondering whether should she start with the salmon or the teriyaki chicken first, she got halfway across the room before realising there was something.  There was a parcel on her desk, too big to be documents or anything Centre related.  And she had no outstanding online orders, and certainly never got personal items delivered to work.  It was unexpected........

Putting her now forgotten lunch down, she approached the parcel cautiously, checking the address.  Yes it was addressed to her, a computer generated courier label no handwriting to give it away.  Getting a knife out of the drawer she carefully slices through the tape securing the top shut and delicately prises the lid open too many memories of boobytrapped mystery parcels to break a perfectly good habit now.  Inside is a beautifully carved wooden box, stained a lovely redbrown tint.  It looks like a small chest and has a metal key sticking out of a lock in the front.

There is small note stuck to the top with her name on it her heart is beginning to pound as she recognises the handwriting Still moving gently no obvious tripwires she snags the paper and unfolds it

Sorry, been busy.  This has something for the team in the chest.  Hidden in the lid is something for you and only you.  Destroy this note.    J.

Broots and Sydney push through her office door together, stopping in front of her desk, puzzled at the sight of her halfway through a tray of sushi, tapping on her laptop keyboard.  She hadn't told them why she had called them into her office, but they could make an educated guess.  Parker waves a hand idly at the small beautifully carved wooden chest sitting to one side of her desk and quirks an eyebrow at both men "Well?"

Broots and Sydney exchange a loaded glance, Broots heads to the chest, and Sydney to lean on the wall on the other side of the desk giving him clear view of Parker and the chest Broots dons latex gloves, and looking at Miss Parker for permission picks up the chest in a light grip and examines the outside carefully.  She snorts a laugh at his exaggerated care "I unpacked it out without any explosions, silly string  or cockroach glue.  I think its clean"

Popping another piece of sushi in her mouth, she chews while watching Broots work.  Sydney quietly asks "Is there a note?" Washing the sushi down with a slug at the waterbottle, Parker shakes her head "I assume everything is inside"  Cocking her head to a far corner "I kept the box for forensics.  The label was computer generated, and not obviously from Jarod"  Watching Broots place the chest down, exam complete "Until we open it, its just a guess"  She shares a sad smile with them both "I knew you would both want to be here if it was"

They weren't even certain he was still alive.  It was entirely possible Lyle had eliminated him and not bothered to advise them.  They were all very far out of the loop these days.  Mostly, they were all a lot happier that way.

Sydney queries "Have you told Lyle?"  the other names are unspoken but they all knew who else he didn't say. A short shake of her head as she rises from the chair "No why would I trouble him with this, we have no evidence either way"  Turning the box with the keyhole to face her, she grips the key, preparing to turn, looks up at both of them "Yet"

They all hold their breath as the key turns and with a small click the lid opens slightly.  They step to the sides  and Broots uses a ruler to lift the lid slowly.  Inside are several newspaper clippings and a folded slip of paper all held with a paper clip.  With a hiss of impatience Parker reaches in, removing the note and handing the clippings to Broots.  She unfolds it and reads it silently.  Frowning she hands it to Sydney who reads it out loud.

This is Pandora's Box.   All the bad things were let out into the world, but hope remained within. J.

Parker sinks back into her chair, laughing bitterly "Eight goddam months we hear nothing, not a whisper" wondering the whole time if he was alive, safe "And the first thing ratboy does is send us a puzzle"  She closes her eyes and says half to herself "I need a drink"

Pushing her chair away from the desk, she walks round to face Broots, grabbing Sydney's arm on the way.  "You two research the newspaper clippings"  She picks up the box, idly weighing it one hand "I'm not convinced this box has given up all its secrets"  Oh so close to the truth  "Its a pretty thing, and distinctive.  Might even be an antique"  Putting the box down and resting a hand on its lid, she shoes the two men away with the other one "Off you go boys, do clever things with our puzzle pieces"  Whispering to herself as they leave the office looks like we are back in the game.

Parker had long since got Broots to tweak the security in her office, she had a handy black spot that the cameras couldn't see, and nifty black box thingy that would mask sounds, it would ensure only a hiss was recorded.  Safe enough for judicious use.  Now seemed like a good time.

Leaving the box where it was for the moment, she put aside the remains of her lunch and carried on with her usual schedule.  She couldn't leave it too long, Lyle would find out and likely claim the box, so taking the box and a knife, she retreated to the dark corner and carefully examined the lid. Jarod had told her there was a compartment but not how to find it. Running sensitive finger tips over the surface, probing for movement, cracks she found nothing.  With mounting frustration she stares at the box, wondering what the key to opening it is Of course, too bloody obvious!

She test the key, back and forward, it turns the lock.  It doesnt push in or pull out or anything fancy, it comes loose in her hand and lies there, glinting innocently. Thoughtful she turns the box over, inspecting again concious she has been in the blackspot too long already With an ahhh of delight she spots the keyhole in the base of the unit, not concealed but not obvious either, she inserts the key and turns.  The curved part of the lid lifts up and in the recess is a cellphone and another handwritten note.  Removing these, she closes and locks the unit, slips the phone into her bra, and returns to her desk.   With unsteady breath she unfolds the note and slips it into a folder.
 
She kills some time making unecessary calls, spends some time on her computer, before gathering her files together, and opening the top one.  She pretends to read the first couple of pages, flicking through several more, spreading them out on her desk. Under her hand is the note

This is Pandora's Box.   All the bad things were let out into the world, but hope remained within.

Parker the bad things are already out in the world, you and I both know this.  We both fight against them in our own way. I have always held on to hope. 

When we last spoke I tried to offer you some, but you weren't ready.

For when you are.  When you reach your turning point and you want to talk.

Call me on the burn phone.  #1 on speed dial will get me, anytime.

To prove hope exists I sent the clippings for the team. Only you will understand their other message.  I hope.

Jarod.


Shuddering, near tears and angry because she doesnt understand why chasing the note down with the last piece of salmon sushi, she doesn't look up as  Lyle burst through her doors, demanding angrily "Where the hell  is it Parker?  Why was I not informed immediately!"  Swallowing her last mouthful, and taking a healthy swig on the water bottle, Parker tilts her head at her deadliest enemy, and smiles her most poisonous smile "Informed about what?" Flicking a hand at the reports in front of her "You needed to know about our waste heat emissions?"

Lyle leans forward, both hands on her desk, aiming for menacing and missing "You received a parcel from Jarod.  I should have been informed immediately"  She shrugs one shoulder in dismissal "A parcel with a computer generated address label was put on my desk"  pointing to the wooden chest "That was inside it" no need to mention the newspaper clippings or any of the notes "Thats it.  No taunting notes.  No puzzle pieces.  No questions or demands"  Her gaze challenging "No evidence Jarod was involved with this at all"

With calculated insolence, she picks up the folder in front of her, leaning back in her chair, she opens it and begins to read can feel Lyle seething from here  She looks up, sees he is still there and sighs in dramatic fashion "Fine, take the chest.  Its delivery box is in the corner"

She waits til he snatches up both, and is about to exit before singing out "Mind you brother dearest, it was addressed to me, and I find myself fond of the little thing already"  One twisted smile "I would like it returned in the same condition it is in now"  A calculated risk but she hoped it had given up all its secrets and was clean. If he trashed it now, it would only be out of spite.  She judged he was not quite that petty or frustrated.  Yet.