Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Barney and Aunt Bee Are Concerned
Chapter 6


“Andy, do you know what your son’s been doing?” Barney shrilled the moment they got inside the door of the jailhouse. “Well, do ya? He’s been sitting out there on that bench talking to two strangers! These strangers! How many times has he been told not to talk to strangers?”
“Wa’al, not too many times, Barn. Most strangers around here are nice folks.”
“Well, I don’t like it. You never know what might happen to a young boy these days.”
“On the bench in front of the courthouse? Now, don’t you worry, Barney. Opie’s a smart boy.”
“Yeah, well,” Barney grumbled, “how smart is it to try to teach two grown men how to play hide-and-seek?”
“Hide-and-seek?”
“It was more of a mutual analysis of the art and philosophy of the game,” Sydney interjected.
“Only you,” Miss Parker said from her cell, “would have a conversation with a child on the street about the philosophy of a game.”
“Thank you, Miss Parker.”
“That was not a compliment. Where have you two been?”
“Investigating,” Broots answered as they went up to her cell door. “All kinds of people have told us things about what Jarod’s been doing in town. Nothing really important, but—”
I’ll decide what’s important. Tell me.”
As they told her, Barney leaned over Andy in his chair and muttered out of the side of his mouth, “You know, I don’t like having them here, Andy.”
“Don’t worry, Barn. Jarod had it all planned out.”
“Yeah, but he didn’t plan on getting—”
“Now, Barn. I don’t want you worrying. Jarod wouldn’t want you worrying. Why don’t you do that filing you were talking about earlier?”
“Fine. But I’m going to keep a close eye on them two. Especially the shorter one. He’s shifty. But you can tell he’s got intelligence. The shorter ones are usually the smart ones of the bunch. He wasn’t the one grilling Opie about hide-and-seek. Oh, no. He was turning him inside and out with those shifty eyes of his, trying to learn all his secrets. I tell ya, Andy—”
“Barney,” Andy laughed, “would you do the filing and let me do my paperwork?”
Barney did the filing, but he stood in a position that allowed him to sneak furtive glances at the three strangers in deep conversation. It was a very awkward position.
“Syd,” Broots said quietly, “why do you suppose the deputy keeps staring at us?”
“I imagine he has never seen someone dress like Miss Parker before.”
“Or maybe he’s never seen a psychiatrist before,” Miss Parker suggested, “and he can’t decide whether or not he wants to run away.”
The door opened, and Aunt Bee came in with another basket. “Time for supper, boys! And Miss Parker. Barney, weren’t you and Thelma Lou going to go somewhere tonight?”
“Oh, no, Aunt Bee. That got changed. Uh—we were—uh, both busy. Look, at all this filing I have to do!”
“Oh, Barney, that can wait, can’t it?”
“No, it can’t, Aunt Bee! A sheriff’s deputy is an officer of the law, and if he doesn’t do his filing, the due process of law breaks down! Responsibility, Aunt Bee, is the by-word of the officer of the law. Thelma Lou knows I can’t let our relationship get in the way of the due process of the law!”
“I suppose so, Barney.” Aunt Bee’s mouth was twitching. “It’s a good thing I brought extra beef stew, then. Andy, are you coming home for supper?”
“No, Aunt Bee. I got paperwork to do. Due process of the law, you know.” His eyes gleamed with mischief. “I’ll be home in time to tuck Opie up in bed.”
“Alright. But will you at least walk me to the corner? I want to talk to you about Opie’s homework.”
“Shore, Aunt Bee.”
“And Miss Parker, I haven’t forgotten about you. I’ll be back later to help you fix up your cell for the night. I would have been earlier, but—well, you know how it is cleaning up after little boys, including those as are fathers! And cooking their meals, and washing their clothes…”
Broots bit back a guffaw with something that came out as a snort. Miss Parker only said, very sweetly, “Quite. We women know what a task it is to clean up the messes men make, don’t we? It seems like that’s all I do these days.”
“You poor dear. Well, I’ll be seeing you.”
Andy stepped out with Aunt Bee. “What’s troubling you, Aunt Bee?”
“Oh, it’s just that I don’t like having them here.”
“Wa’al, you and Barney both, Aunt Bee! You both said exactly the same thing. I shore am proud of Barn, Aunt Bee. Seems like he’s learned to keep his mouth shut at last and not act all self-important-like.”
“I think Jarod had a good influence on him, Andy. But, it worries me.”
“Jarod’s influence on Barney?”
“No, Andy, and you know what I’m talking about. Those three hanging around Mayberry.”
“I know why it worries you, Aunt Bee, and that’s ‘cause you have such a warm, motherly heart. But it’s all going to be alright, just you wait and see.”
“You’re so optimistic, Andy.
“Well, aren’t I usually right?”
“Well, yes…”
“Alright, then. Now, how’s our guest?”
“Not as well as earlier. I shouldn’t have let him get up for lunch.”
“But that’s still better’n yesterday, isn’t it? He was pretty bad yesterday.”
“Yes, he is better today. I still wish the doctor could see him.”
“Well, he can’t. You just tell him I’ll be round to see him later, after I put Opie to bed. And you, Aunt Bee, when you take him his supper, give him a big ol’ kiss on the cheek. That’ll make him better than any doctor.”
“Oh, Andy.”
“It’s true! Now, you better talk to me about Opie’s homework so’s you don’t turn into a big liar. How’s Ope’s homework coming, Aunt Bee?”
“Oh, it’s just fine, Andy,” Aunt Bee dimpled.
“Good. Talk to you later.”