Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey guys, I am so sorry the story hasn't been updated in so long, that is all my fault, not Jacci's. This one is long, so I hope that makes up for the lateness. Thanks to you lovley guys who left reviews for us :D TA

 


Parker had seen Jarod quite often over the last two months. Every second night, she would sneak into his 'room' after Sydney had left. She had been learning her numbers and letters and now could read short sentences and write small ones down on the paper, which made Parker extremely proud of herself. She had a special surprise for Jarod and she was dying to give it to him. Sydney was away for the week in London to get more of his books and to attend a meeting with lots of other smart people like himself, her father away as well attending a business meeting in France and would be back in a few days. Sneaking into the centre of the castle, where the library and classrooms were, she found Jarod sitting on his bed reading. Holding the package behind her back, she walked in and sat on his bed with a grin.

"Milady," Jarod said, his face lighting up as he saw her. Her visits had become the highlight of his life. As much as he loved the books and learning all the things Sydney could teach him, none of that took away his loneliness like a visit from her could. He would help her with learning about books and mathematics and science, and he loved teaching her and talking about it. She taught him many things too. She knew much about what went on in the castle and the world outside and understood things that were a complete mystery to him. She was very smart, even for a girl, smarter than her brother and he taught her everything he could think of, and took enormous pleasure in the teaching. Sometimes he wondered if he liked teaching even more than she liked the learning. They talked all the time about all kinds of things and he knew she would never judge him. She was kind and always listened. The only thing that they didn’t agree on was her brother, and Jarod tried hard for her sake not to hate him

"Hi.” She grinned, bringing the package to sit on her lap, teasing him with it. “I thought since father and Sydney are away, I could see you during the day now." Parker was very excited to actually be able to see him during the day, spend all day with him and not worry about Sydney seeing her in here.

Jarod's eyes darted to the bundle on her lap and then back up to her. He had work to do but he knew he could finish it in ample time. "You won't get in trouble?” He sometimes took longer than he needed to so that Sydney wouldn’t give him more things or tell him he was rushing. Now Sydney was gone, Jarod knew he could get everything done in a very short time, and that would leave him time for his reading and writing, as well as maybe some drawing.

"They won't know.” She grinned, seeing his eyes dart to the present. Smiling, she gave it to him once Parker realised he wasn’t going to ask about it, which took all the fun away. “It's for you.” She had just finished it yesterday in her class, having taken her time on it and spent a long time on the detail so it was very pretty. It was made of fine material and was all the rage right now. White tights, flat shoes, a brightly colour tunic with pretty embroidery and a big, bulky, black coat with gold stitching and a matching hat. He would feel like one of the richest boys in all the world in it. At least Parker hoped he would.

“What is it?” He asked in a soft voice, taking it from her. He looked up at her in a panic. “I have nothing to give to you." The only time he had ever received gifts before was the day they celebrated his birth and on the day they celebrated the birth of Christ, although he didn’t know why he should get gifts for somebody else's birthday. It seemed a little strange to him, but he never mentioned it because his parents seemed to make a big deal about it and it made him feel special. He wondered if it was Michaelmas for a moment and then knew it couldn’t be, it wasn’t cold enough.

"Shhh, it's a gift." Parker smiled, eager for him to unwrap it and put the clothing on. “I made it just for you."

"You did?” He asked softly as he touched it gently. “What is it?” He asked again, unsure what he was supposed to do.

"Open it," Parker urged, almost bouncing in her seat. "Unwrap it and you will see." Parker had to wonder how he didn’t know what to do with a gift, every knew you had to unwrap it and go “ohhh!!”

Jarod worked carefully on the knot and pulled the folded cloth away to reveal the most beautiful clothes he had ever seen. His eyes opened wide as his fingers touched the cloth, which was softer than anything he had ever felt before. It couldn’t be for him, it was more like something Lord Lyle would wear, or the rich nobles he spied sometimes. He looked up at her, completely speechless as he just gaped at her stupidly.

"Do you like it? Try it on? I made it all by myself for you." Parker rambled excitedly, pride shining from her at her accomplishments.

"You did?” He asked in amazement as he put the bundle down between them carefully, almost scared to touch it. “It is beautiful.” He could see the detail in the stitching and knew she had spent much time and effort on this and was deeply moved. "It is so beautiful," he whispered softly. 

"Undress, I'll help you put them on." Jarod wore just a plain cloth tunic and old tights. It was about time he had something nice to wear.

Jarod's mouth dropped open and he gaped at her stupidly. “I can't wear these." Even though she had said they were for him, it hadn’t occurred to him that she wanted him to wear them, they seemed far too fine.

"Of course you can Jarod. I made them just for you." Parker said, having another surprise for him once he was dressed, if he ever got dressed.

"But they are so fine,” He said, running his fingers over them reverentially. It didn’t seem right to put them on because he would get them dirty and she had spent so much time working on them. He just wanted to look at them and feel how soft they were and never ever ruin them.

"And you will feel like someone different in them. Please, get dressed in them. I spent two months making these for you, I wanna see you in them Jarod." Parker pleaded.

"Can you help me?” He asked, not sure he knew how to put such fine clothes on. They looked much more complex than his normal ones.

Parker nodded and started to undress Jarod before he could stop her. When he was in his underwear, Parker handed him the tights first. "Just like those ones, just a little more gentle with them." These tights were made of the finniest materials and they would rip easily if Jarod wasn’t very careful with them.

Jarod sat back down on the bed and picked them up and ran his fingers over them gently. "So soft,” He murmured. They were so clean as well. Nothing at all like his coarse woollen ones.

Yes, yes, yes, they were soft and fine, Parker got it. All she wanted was for him to put them on and stop touching them. "Hurry Jarod.” She urged, wanting to see what he looked like at the end.

Jarod didn't want to hurry though, being extremely careful as he put them on, smiling broadly at how soft and cool they felt. "Ohhhhh,” He said running his hands up and down his legs. 

Parker giggled at him and picked up the dress looking shirt and waited until he lifted his arms and slipped it onto him, tying the cloth up at the back so it fitted him better. "Now the jacket.” She explained, putting it onto him, placing the cap on his head and letting Jarod slip into the shoes. "Ohh you look so pretty." She gushed, starring at him. Parker had no doubt if she were older and Jarod had money to please her father, Parker would marry him right now. He looked so handsome in those clothes, so very different.

Jarod smiled at her as he ran his hands all over it, feeling like a nobleman. “It is beautiful,” He told her, smiling broadly and primping, wishing he had a looking glass so he could see himself.

Parker grinned, taking it as a compliment to how well she could sow. Though if you held it against any others made by real people, hers would look pretty much horrible. "Let's go,” She whispered, taking his hand and pulling him out of his little room.

"Go where?” He asked, still wanting to feel the clothes. They were so soft and fine and looked so beautiful. “I can't believe you made these for me,” He whispered, looking at her as she dragged him along. He didn't want to go anywhere that would make them dirty. Jarod didn’t really care what they did, as long they were together. She was like nobody he had ever met, she was smart too, much smarter than her brother and she seemed to be scared of nothing. He was completely devoted to her and would follow her anywhere, do anything she wanted.

"You're my friend." Parker explained, as if it was all she needed to say. He would have to hide them, or let Parker keep them so her father didn't find out.

To Jarod, her friendship was the most precious thing in the world. Better than the fine clothes and all the books and wonderful learning. He smiled at her and nodded. “Where are we going?"

"Outside, to the market." Parker whispered, knowing it would need to be a big secret. Her father never went to the market, so he wouldn't find out. She had even borrowed a small handful of silver and bronze coins so they could buy anything they wanted. Even though she was a Lady, if her father found out she and Jarod had snuck out and went to the markets and mingled with all those poor people, he would send her for a few lashes of her own.

Jarod's eyes opened wide at that. He knew that she wasn't allowed to go and he most certainly was not. “We will get into trouble.” He said in worry. His life was defined by rules, which he usually kept to, whereas she seemed to take a perverse delight in breaking them. Sometimes that intoxicated him, but most of the times it frightened him and he wished he could be bold like her.

"They won't know." Parker argued, slipping into a secret passage. “We can leave without them knowing, and father never attends any markets, so no one would tell him we went." At least Parker hoped so. So much was riding on that the villagers would be far too scared to tell her father she had gone there by herself.

Jarod thought there would be lots of other people that knew her that would be more than happy to tattle but he kept his mouth shut and nodded. "Okay,” He agreed, wanting to go now. He hadn't seen anything in the castle really aside from these rooms and the garden which he was allowed to go to now. The promise of just being outside was more than enough to overcome any doubts he might have. That, and the fact she wanted him to do it, finally swayed him and he threw all caution aside, trusting her implicitly to keep them out of trouble.

Parker led him through the dark hallways, using a lit candle she had left at the passage door to guide them. It took her a while to get out, but they did, coming up from underground near the main castle gates. Just beyond those gates was the castle village and farms, but best of all, the bustling market place.

Both excited and scared, Jarod clung to her hand, memorising the twisting way she had brought him and wondered if he would have the courage to use it without her. He was worried his fine clothes would be all ruined after walking through the damp tunnels. Emerging into the warm sunlight made him forget all that for a moment as he closed his eyes and turned his face to the sun, letting it warm him. It felt so good to be outside again. Although Sydney often took him outside to run or work, this was different, he could see all the way to the horizon and there wasn’t a wall in sight.

Parker watched him curiously, but stood still for a moment as he took in the sunshine. “We have to hurry," Parker whispered, knowing the guards walked past these gates often. As much as she just wanted him to enjoy the outside, they needed to hurray up and move away from the actual castle and gates before they got seen.

"Sorry," Jarod said, looking at her and then around. The walls of the castle were huge and intimidating and he wondered why anybody would want to live in there. He would trade it in a heartbeat for living back on the farm, always outside with plenty of room to run and play in. Jarod had read and learnt about far away places with exotic names in the fancy books Sydney had and he often imagined what they might be like. None of that compared to feeling of the sun on his face and the fresh air in his nostrils.

Dragging him along, Parker exited the gates, the first time in her life she had done so without an adult with her. Running down the road with enthusiasm, life slowly started to surround them until they were smack bang in the middle of the market place. “I love shopping." Parker grinned. There was nothing quite like shopping, finding a bargain, some really expensive and fine dress, a little angel that she imagined could be her mother.

Jarod was practically agog at what he was seeing. Never in his life had he seen so many people in one place. He had been to market before of course, in Larkhill, but that was nothing like this. Instinctively he moved closer to her, holding her hand, feeling more than a little intimidated by the throng of people and noise. It seemed there were people everywhere. There was the smell of cooking food and livestock and so many people pressed closely together, it was quite overwhelming.

Taking her little cloth coin purse, Parker clutched it in her hand so that it would be safe. Pickpockets were well known, even though they knew their hands would be cut off if they stole. “We can buy things too. ANYTHING!! Stones, rings, clothes, food, cloth, animals." Parker whispered in awe, wanting to buy lots of things for her and Jarod, so he would have a god day and remember this always.

“We can?" Jarod asked, not sure what she meant by that, not really caring as his eyes drank in all the activity going on around him. It was very frightening, but exciting too and Jarod couldn't get enough of it, although clung closely to Parker at the same time.

"Uh huh. ANYTHING. They might even have books." Parker said, walking around slowly, seeing the peasants move out the way for her and Jarod, since they could tell by the clothes alone they were of noble blood.

Jarod just nodded, feeling like a country peasant and very unsophisticated next to her. He saw how others looked at them though, not realising he was really one of them and so he took his cues from her and tried to imitate her bearing. He had no money of course so he wouldn't be buying anything. Content just to look and wander around though, Jarod was just glad to be here, and be with her.

Parker found a stand selling some nice looking food and went up. "Can we have two please?" Parker asked, fishing out a bronze coin, which alone would probably be too much for the bread and spit roasted lamb, but she was hungry and she bet Jarod was too. There was nothing quite like escaping from the castle and running away to the market place to shop to build the appetite.

Jarod watched her carefully and saw the vendor's entire attitude change when he saw her coin. It was amazing that such a little thing could make so much difference. At his tender age, Jarod already was beginning to understand the power that money brought with it. The thing he couldn’t understand was why one person had so much of it that he could never need it all and all the other people went without. He took the buns and held them while she got her change, watching carefully to make sure she wasn't cheated. The smell was making his mouth water and his stomach grumbled loudly. He always had plenty of food to eat, Sydney saw to that, always worrying about ill health and how it might interfere with their work, but it wasn’t often he got something like this.

Putting the money back in her purse, Parker thanked him and took one roll from Jarod. "Eat.” She ordered, looking for somewhere to sit and eat but there wasn't any so Parker ate on the spot. She thought peasant meals were sometimes better than the ones at home. Her meals were always so fancy and overdone, always far too much then they could ever eat. But peasant meals, they were so much better. They were simple, but full of flavour and were wholesome and homey somehow. Parker wondered if this was the sort of food Jarod would have eaten when he lived with his parents.

Jarod did the same as she did, the grin never leaving his face. He would have to find some way to pay her back for all of this. Careful not to spill any gravy or fat on his new clothes, he finished it off quickly, thinking it was one of the most delicious things he could remember eating. "Thank you,” He said, having kept his eyes on her the entire time. He loved to watch her and he knew that just thinking about her was enough to put an idiot grin on his face. He didn’t care though, and she didn’t seem to mind. He loved everything about her and never wanted anything else but for her to visit anymore. If he could have that, he would want for nothing, would even put up with her insufferable brother.

Parker handed her half finished one over to him, licking her fingers clean. “Welcome.” She did a curtsy, giggling as she did so. “I wonder if they have your books here." Parker mused, trying to look at everything at once. Parker could just imagine how happy it would make Jarod if she could buy him one of the books he read in Sydney’s library, but it was his to keep forever.

"You don't want this?” He asked, feeling a little greedy about taking hers too. He shook his head. “I don't have any books, and if I did, they wouldn't be here, they would be in the library with Sydney's.” He informed her, wondering if someone had taken Sydney's books, he would be very upset.

Parker laughed at him, in a way only a child could. “I mean books like you read silly.” She shook her head, waiting until Jarod finished before holding his hand as they wandered again. "Pick anything you want and you can have it,” She promised, wanting to buy things.

"Can I pick something for you?” He asked, wanting to give her something, even though it was her money.

"Oooh yes,” She nodded her head quickly, grinning. "And I can pick something for you."

Jarod grinned back as she dragged him past stall after stall, his eyes wide with the assortment of things that were on offer. He never knew so many things could exist and it fires his imagination. She was much better at this shopping thing than he was and he found he was completely unable to make a decision about what he might want to get.

Parker stopped as she found something she thought Jarod would really like, paying for it, Parker smiled and held it out to Jarod. Sitting on her hand was a wooden carved horse, pretty little gems in for its eyes and brown hair for its tail. "For you," Parker offered, thinking it might give him something happy to connect to his papa and his horses back in Jarod's old home. Parker never wanted Jarod to forget his home and parents, or the happy memories they had. So this horse, Parker hoped, would be a reminder of happier times with his family, and he would never forget.

Jarod's mouth dropped open as he saw it and he took it from her. After a stunned moment he hugged her impulsively, no longer caring that he shouldn't or he might ruin his clothes.

Hugging him back, Parker held onto him longer than they should have, liking when he hugged her, how it made her feel wanted and loved. "So you can remember your papa." Parker explained.

"And you," Jarod whispered when he finally pulled away. “I promise I will never forget.” He would treasure it forever and always think of her and this day every time he looked at it.

"You should never forget." Parker didn't even remember her mother and didn't want him forgetting his parents as well. She knew not to whine about it, but it left such a hole in her heart. What Parker wouldn’t give just to see her mother, hear her voice, feel her arms around her little body. There were the paintings and portraits around the castle, but it wasn’t the same as seeing her mother with her own eyes. Jarod had that chance and Parker wanted him to cherish it for eternity.

“I won't," Jarod promised her, and he would keep that promise. "Now something for you,” He said in determination. She already had just about everything though and he didn't know what he could get for her that she would want.

"A drawing. I want a drawing of us both." Parker informed him, pointing out an artist with paints and papers.

"Okay," Jarod nodded, although a little crushed at that suggestion, he had already determined to make a drawing to give her on the paper that he would take from the library. It was about the only thing he could think of that he could do for her in return for all she was doing for him. He just wanted to do something to make her happy.

"Both of us?" Parker asked again, dragging him forward. "Maybe two? One for me and one for you?"

Jarod nodded again, happy that she wanted one of both of them, it meant he could draw one of her as well and it still be special. He also liked the thought of having a picture of her to keep. “I hope he is good,” He said, worried that the artist wouldn't be any good. Jarod was turning into quite the artist himself, Sydney telling him he had never seen his equal and that maybe he could do a portrait of the Duke when he next ordered one.

“We will ask." Parker walked them over to him and looked at some of his others. “Is he?" Parker whispered to Jarod, eyeing off the paintings, not knowing much about art. Art was for the men, not for the girls. The only time she was involved in any art was when she was told to stand still so they could paint her.

Jarod looked at the drawings critically and knew that he was pretty good. Not great like some of the drawings he had seen in the books, but good enough. Holding onto her hand tightly with one, the other holding his precious horse carving, he became shy as the approached the man, not knowing what to say. He didn’t know how to do this, what was expected, and she was so much better at it than he was.

"Sir, draw us." Parker ordered. “We want two of them. How much?” She demanded of him, standing tall with her shoulders back.

The merchant looked her up and down with something akin to contempt. He was about to tell her to run along, but the wealth of her clothes made him change his mind. He wondered where their parents were and smiled broadly. He quoted her a price that was well above his usual commissions. "For you Milady, a special one I will do."

“I want both for half that.” She demanded, knowing that everyone bargained here, but wasn't sure she would be good at it.

He barked out laughter, but couldn't help admire her courage. "How about both for two thirds?” He haggled, doubting the child would have a clue about these kinds of things.

Parker looked at Jarod, "How much would two thirds be of the original price and is it good?” She asked him. Jarod was extremely good with his numbers, so he would be able to tell her if this peasant was trying to overcharge them.

Jarod leant up and whispered in her ear, helping her to work it out and shook his head, thinking the man was trying to take advantage of her. She was very brave though the way she faced him down and Jarod was proud to be her friend. She was good with her numbers but they hadn’t really started on harder fractions and division yet.

"Ok," Parker smiled at Jarod, "No, half for two, or I go to someone else." Parker warned, holding up a bronze coin, taunting him with it. He wanted a silver one, and Jarod said no.

He looked at the boy shrewdly and finally muttered, nodding. It was still more than he would usually get and perhaps he could make quite a bit more off these snobby little brats. "Fine,” He huffed and nodded to his little tent. “Inside and sit still."

Parker grinned and pulled Jarod in and sat down, Jarod standing next to her, their hands holding, Jarod’s little horse on display in his other hand. “We want two paintings, good ones." Parker demanded with a nod of her head.

"Yes Milady, I only do good ones,” He said forcing a smile. They thought they were so much better with their uppity manners.

Jarod ignored the man, just smiling at how he felt, standing there in his new clothes, his gift in his hand and his friend by his side. He couldn't remember being this happy since before his parents had died.

Parker smiled, looking up at Jarod the whole time. The man was very good, he finished the first one in 15 minutes before starting on the second one.

Jarod was relishing this and when the man was finished, he looked at the two drawings critically and smiled. They were very good. "Look,” He urged her excitedly, “It's us.” He was seeing a boy in strange clothes and he realised it was really him and grinned even more madly at how he looked.

Parker looked and grinned madly, “It is us, see how pretty you look in the clothes I made for you?" Parker grinned moving over to the artist and the drawings. Giving him the bronze coin, Parker took out the few small coins she had received as change and handed them over too. "Thank you."

The vendor took the extra coins in surprise and smiled at her, bowing low. "Thank you Milady." 

"Can we take them now?” She asked, not sure what they did now since she had never had it done before.

"They are yours,” He said, pocketing the coins with a smile. "Run along now, these are dangerous times."

"They are?" Parker frowned, wondering why but she picked hers up and let Jarod takes his. “We should go see the real horses.” She whispered to him, wanting to make this day unforgettable for the boy, because she knew her father would send her away shortly to be taught properly to be a lady and Jarod wouldn’t get anymore fun days with her.

"They have horses here too?" Jarod asked, rolling his paper carefully and offering to take hers as well, lest it get damaged.

Parker handed him hers as well. "They have farms close by who have horses. They will let us play with them I'm sure." If they said no, she would just pay them too. Parker was always amazed at what people would do for those little coloured coins in her coin purse.

"Can you ride?" Jarod asked. He knew the nobility loved their horses and that was who his father mostly trained them for. He supposed there were plenty of stables at the castle and she probably had a horse of her very own.

"Yes, I have been taught side saddle." Parker answered as they wondered about, heading away from the market and into the part of the villages with cottages and farms with horses.

“I bet your father has lots of horses,” He said wistfully.

"Oh he does." Parker nodded, “But we can't see them because the stable boys might tell him you had nice clothes on and were riding and not working."

"Do you like them, are they good horses?" Jarod wondered out loud.

"Our horses? Yes they are very good, I like them lots. Father says they are the best horses in all of the county and beyond. I just think they look very beautiful."

"My papa trained the best horses,” He said softly.

“I bet he trained the bestest horses in all of the world!" Parker exclaimed loudly in agreement.

Jarod nodded, pleased that she agreed. This whole day was like something out of his dreams, only better.

Picking a smaller road, she headed down there and smiled as a farm came into view. “I bet they have horses. Let's go ask."

Jarod just followed her, content to go where she led, trusting her completely that she knew what she was doing.

Getting to the door, she knocked on it and waited patiently. “I'm sure they will let us ride, I bet they are really friendly people." Parker said, dreaming of what it would be like to live here. It was so open and free, she could do anything she wanted and not be told she wasn’t acting like a real lady.



Jarod knew that they had to head back soon and he reluctantly left the farm, having had the best day of his entire life. He chattered with Parker freely, and it was as if the two of them had been friends for life. It was as if they both saw something in each other that they needed and it formed an instant bond.

Parker had enjoyed herself more than she could ever remember and paused as they got to the gate of the castle, not wanting to go back in, knowing the day had to end. Parker wished they both could just run away to a farm like they had been at and stay there forever. They would never be told they couldn’t talk to each other, see each other. They would always be friends and free, doing what ever they wanted. She had missed midday meal and if she missed evening meal, Bobby would start getting suspicious and might tell their father.

Jarod crept along with her, exhausted, but very happy. He knew they wouldn't be able to do this again any time soon, but that just made it so much more special. He followed her to the secret entrance she had led him out and held the heavy door open for her before following her in.

"Thank you my kind sir." Parker grinned and walked down, lighting the candle so they could see. Leading him back to his room, Parker talked to him the entire way. Pausing at his little room, she looked at him and took her drawing of them. "Hide yours, so Sydney doesn't take it." The last thing she wanted was Sydney discovering his drawing and horse and take them form the boy and punish him for having them.
 
Jarod took it, his hand touching hers briefly and his breath caught at the contact and he looked up at her, falling silent for the first time that day. All of a sudden everything seemed to stop and he looked at her, almost in fear.

Watching as his hand brushed hers, Parker looked up to meet his eyes before leaning in to plant her lips against his in a tender, childish kiss.

Jarod sucked in a breath in surprise and then closed his eyes as he kissed her back, her lips so soft against his and the smell of her was filling his nostrils. He wanted this moment to last forever.

Pulling away, Parker smiled a little at him. “I have to go.” She said softly, not wanting to. He tasted nice, nothing at all like she thought boys would taste like.

Jarod just nodded mutely, his eyes holding hers, feeling as if his heart was going to stop. In that moment, Jarod knew he would love her forever. No matter what happened he would never forget.

Smiling, Parker ducked away, blushing madly as she ran back to the secret entrance so she could get back to the normal part of the castle. Touching her lips with her fingers the entire time, amazed at how soft his lips were too.

Jarod walked slowly to his bed and carefully rolled his picture up after another look and then undressed in a daze, putting away the soft clothes and donning his usual ones with a soft sigh. He wrapped them carefully and put them under the bed safely with the picture and laid down, a huge grin on his face. He had had the best day of his entire life today and he vowed never to forget even the tiniest details.