Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A lot can Change in Six Months

 

 

Chapter 1 - The World Has Changed

 

 

I stayed away for six months as much for her as for me. After our last car ride together I need to take some time for my self. No pretending, no leaving clues, no phone calls or packages. I just had to cut my self off completely to put things in order. I never thought it would take me so long, but I had finally found my Mother, and I need time with her and the rest of my family.

 

Though the whole time I spent away, in the back of my mind was still my thought of Sydney, Broots and of cause her. For weeks now he had been thinking about how he should reintroduce himself into her life. Should he leave a clue, send a package or just make a phone call in the early hours of the morning.

 

So on this early winters morning he was standing in front of her house, or what was once her house. There was nothing there anymore except a burn out shell, the fire must have occurred sometime ago, as the vegetation had start to take back the house block. What had happened here? And where was she?

 

The first thing he did was call Sydney, who after sounding so shocked at hearing from him, told he how his world had changed. How nothing was the same anymore.

 

Six months ago Broots had been offered a new job with a computer security development company in Australia, and with her blessing he had backed up his daughter and his life and moved. Sydney and Broots kept in contact via email and Sydney was planing on visiting at the end of the month. It seems that Broots had done well with the company and Debbie had graduated and started university.

 

A month after that Angelo had left the Centre, at first it was thought that he had moved with Broots, and that the two had planned the whole thing. But she had been sent to Australia to check it out and had come back empty handed. There had been a couple of confirmed sightings of Anglo in New York, so the two remaining members of Jarrod’s hunt team had gone there, only to find that Angelo had been killed in a scuffle in the slum areas in the subway tunnels. She had identified his body at the city morgue and had it cremated before they returned back to Blue Cove. She had organised for the ashes to be placed near her mother’s grave.

 

Sydney told Jarod how Angelo’s death changed her, how she worked harder, drank more and took greater risks. By the sound of it she had gone a little wild, deliberately proving Lyle and Raines. So much so that they were willing to let her go off and do her own thing, just so she wasn’t around the Centre causing problems. Then two months ago she did a complete reversal, stopped drinking, stop wearing the skin tight, short skirts, and the bright red lipstick. She became pleasant to all Centre staff except for her brother and father. And then the biggest change of all came, she pushed for and demanded complete custody of her baby brother, Sydney was not sure what leverage she used but Lyle and Raines had given in and she had full custody of her brother. Sydney said she seemed happier, more complete; she worked less and spent as much time as possible with him. This happiness was short lived though, less than three week after gaining custody there had been a fire. The fire department had said it was caused by an electrical fault, and because of all the security on the house they had not been able to get out.

 

As neither Lyle nor Raines had stepped forward to organise the funeral Sydney had done this last thing for her. She too was placed with her mother with her baby brother right beside her.

 

Sydney had decided to retire just last week, with nearly six months of no contact with Jarod, and his two other team members no longer with him, he had decided that it was time to let the Centre go. He was enjoying having the time to read, and potter around his garden. He and Nicolas had restabilised there friend ship and at last he seemed happy.

 

 

Everything had changed, nothing was the same. She was gone, how could this be? She can’t be gone, she just can’t be.

 

When he was leaving Ethan had told him to pass on his love, would the voices not have told him if she had died?

 

Where was she?