27 by TLM

Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the long waits. Blame intense college courseloads. I do.

 Also I haven't disclaimed enough. I don't own the Pretender or any of its characters at all. I just like to play with them.


Day 6

"Yep, real lucky you folks made it in when ya did last night, looks like this storm'll be another doozy."

Miss Parker rested her forehead against the wall of the living-room-pretending-to-be-a-lobby as Jarod fished for information from the motel concierge.

"When is the storm supposed to pass?" f

"Mm, hard to say Jarod. Don't seem like the guys on the TV ever seem to quite know. Bet it's a hard job to do," he answered. Jarod nodded knowingly, but his informer failed to notice and continued chatting away. "Anyway, long as it's here y'all are welcome to stay free of charge. Lucky the power's still powerin' and even got the cable fer now. Got some bagels with that Philadelphia cheese if either of ya are lookin' for some breakfast."

Jarod smiled politely and glanced at the bearded man's name tag, "Thank you, Harold."

"Call me Harry! Holler if you need anything."

While Harry went off to do whatever it was Harry did, Jarod turned around to face his companion. She looked at him with a loathing he hadn't witnessed first hand in quite a while.

"Hey who would have known a storm was coming?"

Miss Parker raised one brow, "Certainly not the mastermind with a habit of cutting out newspaper articles. You know, the kind of papers with weather forecasts."

"Didn't happen to read Maine's in the last week, but flattered by your confidence. Honestly, you just shouldn't have been born in January. A nice June birthday adventure would have worked out a lot better."

"Yeah, I'll get right on fixing that one for you, Jarod. What the hell are we going to do now?" she snipped, folding her arms defensively as he stepped closer.

Jarod shrugged, "There's not much we can do. We've just got to wait. Luckily, we have a warm room to do that in, too. Why don't we get some of this breakfast and we can go from there."

The brunette swiped a plain bagel and poured some coffee with a dramatic sigh. Jarod grinned while he spread cream cheese on his bagel and stirred five spoonfuls of sugar into his steaming cup.

*****

"This is a waste of time."

Harry had already visited their room twice since they'd returned to it less than an hour ago. The first time he'd brought candles and matches in case the electricity failed. The second time he couldn't remember if he'd brought the matches, but Miss Parker assured him in her naturally kind manner that he had, so he left.

Currently, Jarod was watching the weather channel intently, his body propped up against the headboard of the queen-sized bed. There was almost as much snow clouding the TV picture as there was outside. He mumbled in response, "No choice here."

"Why is it when there's a natural catastrophe I always wind up stuck with you?" Miss Parker plopped onto the other side of the bed, jolting him from his focus. She was wearing a plush cream-colored sweater over a pair of normal blue jeans. It was nice to see her wearing denim.

"It's fate's only way of ensuring we stay in the same room for more than five minutes," he answered confidently, eyes never leaving the screen. She couldn't help but agree, confirming his statement with a nod. She pulled off her black, rubber-soled boots, leaving only thick white socks to cover her bare feet. Jarod turned his head and watched her in fascination.

"I'm so tired of waiting."

Jarod nodded, kind of maybe half-listening to the meteorologist describe weather patterns. "We're probably both waiting for the same things, too."

"A 180 degree change in your life's direction?"

"Well something like that," his voice dropped. "A change for sure."

Parker turned her attention to him, sitting beside him innocently. "If any two people deserve that, we do."

Jarod laughed a little bitterly, "Oh yeah. Definitely."

The conversation floated around in the air for a bit and Steve Ballinger the weather man suddenly became most fascinating to them both.

"Since when do we have conversations that end in agreement?" Jarod said.

Parker couldn't help smiling. He had a very good point.

"Since when do we have conversations?"

Jarod nodded passively, "I've missed them."

A mental switch snapped in Miss Parker's head and she cleared her throat, sliding off the bed, "Then you should have hurried back to the Centre instead of frolicking around the country like you're some great blessing from God. The world doesn't need another one-man vigilante."

The sound of the bathroom door closing behind her echoed in Jarod's mind, though probably not in the room itself. He sighed. He was the one who was supposed to run away, not her.

Jarod remained frozen in his thoughts until she came out of the bathroom a few moments later, her face a little more made up, her hair a little more sorted, her eyes a little more empty.

"Is that really what you think of me?"

Miss Parker paused, not even sure he'd really said it, his voice so quiet. "It doesn't matter what I think of you, Jarod."

"Yes it does."

"No actu-"

His voice rose abruptly, "It matters to me."

Parker licked her bottom lip in a subtle motion, contemplating. "No, that's not really what I think of you. It's what I'm supposed to think of you."

Jarod's eyebrows twitched up his forehead slightly, surprised to hear her actually admit it. "So what does Miss Parker really think? I don't want the party line."

With the tiniest hint of laughter in her tone, she answered straight-faced, "She probably doesn't think now's the time to discuss this."

He shook his head negatively, "No. There's no better time. When could there possibly be a better time than now when we're completely alone in the middle of nowhere, where nothing and nobody can hurt us for telling the truth?"

"The truth," she returned to her spot on the bed next to him. "There's no truth left to tell."

"That's all that's left to tell."

She thought about that for a minute, finally coming to terms with it. "Where do we possibly start?"

"The same way everyone else does. Just," Jarod chewed the words over. "Tell me about yourself."

"But you already know so much. There's no point."

"Not anymore I don't. Come on Parker, we don't have anything else to do."

He could see a million thoughts racing through those brilliant sapphire eyes. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything."

The irony somersaulted deep in her stomach.

*****

"I just can't remember okay? What is the big deal?"

Jarod's mouth gaped open dramatically and he fell backward onto the mattress, "The big deal is that everyone should remember their first taste of ice cream or at least the last time they had it. That you can't remember either one, it's just a shame."

"Well I hope you don't lose sleep over it," Parker mocked playfully.

She was actually enjoying her conversation about nothing with Jarod. She couldn't stop to think about what she was doing because that would ruin everything and she knew that. She knew this was wrong, she really did. But to stop now, it just wouldn't feel right.

"I will though, and you're going to have to live with that."

"Boo hoo," she said.

Jarod grinned childishly, noticing how her lips pursed with the oo's as she enunciated them perfectly. Even from his vantage point, upside down on the bed looking up at her, she was immaculate. Immaculate.

"If we had some milk and sugar, I would make you some with the snow right now."

"You mean you can't concoct some from the toothpaste and leftover coffee?"

"Come now, Miss Parker. That would just be disgusting."

"To normal human beings. I figured you might be up for it."

"I'm charmed."

"Shut up."

The undeniable smirk on his face was as grating as ever.

She wouldn't have to see it for long.

"Damn it."

"Power's out," Jarod mumbled.

"You think?"

The afternoon sun ricocheted off of the white world outside through their window, so there was still enough light to see.

Parker sighed, "No more weather reports."

"No, but we'll know when the electricity returns that the roads have been cleared enough that someone could have fixed the power," Jarod said in a gentle voice.

She nodded, completely assured that he would be right like always.

*****

It was completely dark outside now. Harry had stopped by with even more candles ("just in case Mama N gives us a real good beatin'!") so the room was lit enough. He'd also brought them a bag of food he'd scavenged from his own cabinets. Jarod had taken it appreciatively and assured him that he'd done more than enough for them. Besides, Jarod had raided the vending machines only a few hours before the power went out and they had Snickers and Reese's galore.

Parker took the bag from Jarod's arms and emptied its contents onto the table, sifting through them impatiently and groaning at items like potato chips and Keebler's cookies. "I'd rather just starve," she mumbled. Jarod closed the door, reminding Harry that they needed to preserve what heat they had left, and made his way to the table to examine their new treasures.

"Looks like peanut butter and jelly will have to suffice as the main entree tonight," Parker announced.

Jarod's brow furrowed, "I've heard about this. I've seen peanut butter commercials on TV. They say it’s very good."

"It’s better than Cheeto's anyway. Besides this looks like homemade jam, so it might not be completely saturated in sugar."

Jarod watched her pull two slices of bread out of the package and carefully spread a thin layer of red jam on one piece and the peanut butter on the other piece. She sat down at the wooden table and took a bite, eventually meeting his eye contact. After chewing and swallowing, she said "Well it's not rocket science. Just try it for yourself."

He copied her actions perfectly and smiled after his first bite, "That is good."

She nodded and answered sarcastically, "Yeah it's fantastic. Bon appetit."

And so that's how Jarod and Miss Parker came to share a peanut butter and jelly dinner by candle light. There wasn't much talking. There really didn't need to be. By the time they were done, Jarod had eaten two more sandwiches, only stopping when Parker reminded him that they only had one loaf of bread. He then reduced himself to candy bars and potato chips.

"You're going to be sick."

Jarod feigned offense, "I'm never sick."

"The invincible Jarod," she mocked with a grin.

He smiled back, mesmerized by the reflection of a candle's flame in her pupil. Her eyes were literally glowing now, and her skin was golden under the flames' light. Jarod suddenly realized why candle light was romantic. It brought out everyone's features and made them sparkle, keeping the rest of the world in darkness.

"We should blow out some of these candles," he said, standing and reaching for a thin white candle set on the night stand.

"Um why exactly would we want to do that?"

"These are fresh candles. You're only supposed to burn them for approximately an hour for each inch in diameter. It lets the hot wax extend to the outside edges instead of pooling in the center." Jarod blew the flame out, "Now we let it cool and the next time we light it, it will always burn to the edge."

Parker's face remained stoic the entire time he talked, "Fascinating."

But when he pointed to the thin candle on the table, she grabbed it and blew until the flame was gone. She snatched one of the two remaining lit candles and brought it to the nightstand where the other one was. She then proceeded to the bed where Jarod was already leaning against the headboard with his legs stretched out. Parker sat beside him, legs folded Indian style.

"Now what?" he said.

She leaned forward and Jarod glanced up at her, startled by her sudden proximity. Smoothly, she grabbed his chin and with her thumb, wiped a bread crumb away from the corner of his mouth. "Slob."

Jarod took a deep breath, realizing how his heart had jumped with anticipation, "Very funny."

His actions didn't go unnoticed, nor did the feeling of his whiskers on her fingertips, "Do you ever feel guilty? About leaving the Centre?"

He shook his head adamantly, "I'm only guilty of not leaving sooner."

Parker nodded slightly, other thoughts clearly in her head.

"You were jealous weren't you?" he probed.

"No," was her immediate response, but he knew better than to believe it so he waited. "Well I did seem to get the worse end of the deal don't you think?"

"Yes I do," Jarod whispered sincerely.

She glanced at him and shivered, "You want to know what I really think of you, Jarod?"

His eyes lit up, but he stood and rummaged in the closet for a few seconds, returning with a blanket, which he in turn handed to her. Her frustration with his lack of attention disappeared when she realized just how much he was paying attention.

"I think," she continued, unfolding the tan blanket and wrapping it around herself. "That it's a damn miracle anything good has ever come from that rotten place. Everything you've been doing since you left- it just, it shows that there's some kind of hope no matter what. It took a long time for me to see that and you're really the reason why I do."

"Wow." Jarod was smiling

"Don't act so surprised. Raines told me once he didn't have to follow his oath to the Centre anymore and you know what neither do I."

"Parker, Parker, Parker," he shook his head. "You should never compare yourself with Raines."

He was completely and utterly correct so she laughed. Parker laughed.

"I love it when you do that," Jarod grinned.

She took a deep breath, a smile still smeared messily on her face, "What?"

"Laugh."

Parker tucked some stray tendrils of hair behind her ears self-consciously. "There's usually not much reason to."

"Usually," he murmured.

With a soft sigh, Parker scoot herself backward until she was leaning against the headboard as well. "We're quite the dysfunctional pair aren't we?"

"We seem to be functioning pretty decently right now," Jarod pointed out.

She didn't answer, but when Jarod slid his arm behind her neck and draped it loosely over her shoulder there was no protest. She prayed he hadn't noticed her holding her breath as he did so. He was praying the same thing.

He was warm and it was cold. This was completely justifiable. Anyone could see that. Perhaps not her father. No, he almost certainly would not be able to see that. But Jarod was right, the Centre wasn't here. There was nobody here but the two of them. Besides, what had her father done to deserve her loyalty? If she could only think of one reason.

"Jarod."

"Hm?" He tilted his head down toward her in his ever-curious way.

"Did you know," Parker paused and bit her bottom lip slightly. "Did you know that girls mature faster than boys?"

Jarod smiled crookedly, a little unsure if she really meant what she was implying. "I think someone told me that once."

Parker nodded and with all the innocence and grace of that little girl, she initiated a sweet kiss that left Jarod's lips tingling for more when she pulled away after a few brief seconds. She stared at him timidly, but his eyes dripped dangerously with desire.

Jarod reached for her chin and returned her mouth to his for a deeper kiss. This was the grown-up version of something that hadn't happened for nearly thirty years. Very grown-up.

After a moment, he pulled away, her face completely cupped within his palms. "You're not going to kill me are you?"

She smiled devilishly, "Probably not."

"Good enough."

He leaned over and blew out the remaining candles so that they were in complete darkness. With her head settled in the crook of his arm, they both fell asleep. Really.


Day 33

"All right, Jarod. Enough's enough. Today you're going back to work whether you like it or not."

He didn't like it, but his choice was clear. If he didn't cooperate the way the Centre wished, Miss Parker would be the one paying the price. They had finally found his weakness and they were going to manipulate it to their best advantage no matter the cost. It was typical Centre procedure.

Jarod straightened from his slumped position on the floor of the sim lab he had conveniently been transported to, "She's your sister."

Lyle nodded solemnly, "It is unfortunate, the sacrifices that must be made."

"You're sick."

"Yes. Sick of you wasting our time. There's no debate here. You know what the consequences for your disobedience will be."

Jarod was hunched over with his hands clutching his head in frustration. He couldn't look Lyle in the eye. If he did, he'd only think of how much bluer and passionate Parker's were.

"Or do you?" said Lyle. "No, maybe you need some physical proof that we mean business this time."

Lyle smiled eerily while he watched Jarod shake his head in pathetic protest.

"Boys, bring her in!" he called.

The door opened with the obnoxious noise of metal against metal. It was anything but shocking when three burly sweepers came in with Miss Parker standing between them. One sweeper attempted to guide her into the room with a hand to her back, and with a quick "Not today, bucko" gave up.

"You guys are still letting my sister boss you around? You do realize she's the prisoner right?" Lyle stepped unnaturally close to her. "Hey, sis."

"Even your monkeys can see this is a stupid idea, why don't you give it a rest already?" Miss Parker snipped defiantly.

Jarod was watching the sibling exchange passively, but with one quick glance he could tell that she was scared, too. She had always been better at hiding her emotions than he had, years of practice he figured. Still, he had years of practice decrypting her emotional codes.

"You're not in charge anymore. Now shut up."

Miss Parker grinned wickedly, "Sure thing, boss."

Lyle glared at her before returning his attention to their pretender. "You're going to get up and sit at that table now, Jarod."

Jarod studied Lyle's face carefully. He decided that Lyle was on the brink of losing control and that would not end well for him or Miss Parker, so he decided to obey the simple request.

"There you go, now that wasn't so hard was it?"

Easily cheered.

Miss Parker crossed her arms impatiently. Jarod almost smiled. She was always waiting for the rest of the world to catch up to her.

"Notice the folder on the table. It is called Project Indigo, Sim #29801330, not that it really matters to you. Sydney will be in to better debrief you shortly, that is once you agree to perform. It would just be a waste of time to have him here until you do make that very important decision." Lyle leaned against the table. "And by important, I mean important to both your lives."

"He's not going to do it, Lyle."

In an instant Lyle had his hands clenched around her thin neck. Her sputtering and gasping were muted because Miss Parker was always in control, "Not another damn word, do you hear me? You are decoration in this exercise, so shut the hell up before I have the infirmary remove your vocal chords."

"Let her go."

The instant Jarod said it, Lyle did so.

"So you do want to cooperate?"

Jarod grimaced, watching Miss Parker carefully out of the corner of his eye while she took slow deep breaths, "Just leave her alone."

"That's not how the game works unfortunately. Now are you ready for me to call Sydney or not?"

There was silence.

"Tony," Lyle nodded at one of the sweepers who in turn landed a heavy punch into Miss Parker's abdomen. It was obviously a well-rehearsed cue and action sequence; that was enough to make Jarod sick.

"Jarod don't," Miss Parker groaned. "Remember what you told me?"

He did remember.

Just then, the door opened and Jarod nearly fell out of his chair with relief. It was Sydney.

"Exactly what's going on here, Lyle?" he said, then rushed to Miss Parker's side. "Parker, are you okay?"

"Peachy," she grumbled.

"Mr Parker would never have authorized such vicious attack against his own daughter. Step down before I turn you in, Lyle." The older man crossed his arms bravely. Jarod prayed silently that his mentor was right, but he had the unfortunate feeling that he was not.

Lyle chuckled, taking long strides until he was standing next to Jarod. With a quick cringe-worthy pat to his shoulders, he said, "Who do you think gave these orders?"

"Impossible," Sydney murmured. Deep down though, well anything was possible.

"No need to worry, Sydney. Jarod's come around and I have the feeling he can't wait to get working on this simulation." Crouching down so that his mouth was a mere inch from Jarod's ear, he added softly. "You know things can get much much worse, don't you genius?"

Miss Parker spoke before Jarod could. "Give it a rest. Jarod's never going to work for you again. He is too smar-"


"I'll do it," Jarod announced adamantly over her.

"What? No. Jarod. Come on."

"Parker," he looked at her from across the room painfully, letting her know he'd made the only choice he could.

Not even the sweepers protested when she approached him in bold statuesque form. "You told me-"

"Circumstances have changed. I won't risk losing the only thing in the world I've got now."

Lyle was positively beaming while he watched the exchange. Sydney on the other hand appeared very concerned.

"You are being an idiot, Jarod."

He took her hand and kissed it tenderly. Miss Parker snapped it back away from him.

"Stop it," she snarled. "I refuse to be the reason you ruin your own life and throw away everything you've ever stood for."

"Miss Parker," Jarod stood abruptly, sending his chair flying behind him. He grabbed her face and pulled her close for a passionate kiss. Sydney's mouth literally dropped in surprise and Lyle began laughing. Jarod pulled away, but not before whispering something into her ear.

"Enough," said Lyle. "As entertaining as this has been. Miss Parker may now be taken to her cell so that Romeo can get to work. I'd call today a success. Wouldn't you agree, Sydney?"

Sydney grunted ambivalently. Miss Parker left without a struggle, and the sweepers hurried to keep up with her quick pace. Lyle followed with a soft "morons" under his breath.

Jarod reseated himself at the table and Sydney sat across from him cautiously. When Jarod finally looked up and made eye contact with the psychiatrist, he smiled a little crookedly.

"I guess we forgot to tell you."

Sydney smiled back slightly, "You and Miss Parker aren't altogether shocking, but that you'd choose now to act on your repressed feelings is interesting. You have to know the consequences you'll pay."

"I know what's coming, Sydney."

"I hope so," Sydney opened the folder lying on the table. "This may just be one of those consequences."

"At least my own life won't be ruined in the process. She's the only thing that means anything now."

Sydney listened to his protégée in shock, cocking his head slightly when he noticed the glint of typically-Jarod cleverness in his eyes. By now, he should know better than to take Jarod for surface level only.

"Alright then," Sydney said hesitantly. "Let's.. begin."





Chapter End Notes:
I love reviews :)