Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks again to my beta team, you guys are great.


The decision was made, every angle analysed and then re-examined again and again. It still wasn’t too late to turn back, but she was committed emotionally and had made peace with herself, as much as was possible anyway. She was sleeping better than she had in a long time, even without any alcohol to assist her, numb the dreams and keep the nightmares away. This last week had brought a remarkable difference to her general well being. Even Sydney knew something was up and she suspected that he believed she was in love again, although he had been surprisingly circumspect with his curiosity. Once she had told him to butt out, he had, which was unusual in itself. She didn’t really care though, far too much on her mind to worry about the shrink, who would make something out of nothing anyway.

She didn’t want to examine her feelings too closely, she was calmer than she had been in a long time. Not happy, but not miserable either. Everything was in place, as much as it could be and it was now time to set it in motion. After today, for better or for worse, nothing would ever be the same again.

Her choice of wardrobe had been meticulously planned this morning, one of her shortest red skirts and a low cut silk blouse that left very little to the imagination. Applying her makeup with more care than usual she looked at her reflection critically, wondering if she could really go through with it. She knew it was the only way and now she had to trust herself. She could stop this now, it was her last chance, as once she set this in motion, she would no longer have any choice, and perhaps that was for the best. Getting up she looked around at the room before moving downstairs, a purpose in her stride that hadn’t been there last week.


Avoiding Freud and his sidekick, she headed straight for the elevator, the very same one her mother supposedly had died in. Looking up at the small hole only strengthened her resolve, convincing her even further that her mother had been right. She had made the only choice she could and now it was Parker's turn to do the same, no matter how difficult that was. Pushing aside the sadness that threatened to engulf her she looked up at it defiantly. She wasn’t her mother and she was going to make damn sure she didn’t end up like her mother had, trusting the wrong people.

The elevator came to a stop and she took one last fortifying breath. It was show time. Straightening her long coat and smoothing down her skirt, she planted a seductive smile on her face, knowing the impact it would have on him, using that in the way only she could. There was no room now for self doubts or recriminations and any that might have surfaced were quickly pushed away.

Exiting the lift she practically stalked down to his office, ignoring the look his pretty Asian secretary sent her way. Typical Lyle to have Miss Asia running to fill his every whim. She almost felt sorry for the little fool, who no doubt thought doing her boss was going to get her ahead. Covering any lingering fear and doubt with outwards bravado she shot the woman a look that made her wilt just a little, and that brought out a genuine smile. If she could sell this, if he bought this, then today was the beginning of the rest of her life and there would be no looking back.

Not stopping at the closed doors, or bothering to knock, she pushed the doors open in an excessively dramatic gesture, that she seemed so capable of pulling off, and sauntered into his office, exuding a confidence she didn’t really feel. Briefly she wondered if this was what it was like to pretend, if this was what Jarod felt every day of his life, and she quickly pushed that thought aside as she saw Lyle look up, a brief look of annoyance at the interruption fleeting across his face, but was just as quickly replaced with a smile she supposed he thought was charming.

Keeping the smile on her face as he looked up, she gave him a moment to stare and admire the view. His cool eyes were running up and down her body, clearly liking what he saw. Good, he would like what was coming next even more and that could only work in her favour.

Lyle looked up, smelling her perfume and smiling, the remark about the elusive art of knocking dying as he saw her. He let his eyes run up her long legs lazily and then finally rested on her eyes, after spending an indecent amount of time on her plunging neckline. He was surprised by what he saw in her blue eyes, that seemed to have defrosted a few degrees. She really had gone all out today, but that was not the surprising thing. He knew she dressed that way so people would look, and they always did, it was hard not to. What was surprising was the fact that she didn’t seem to be spitting hatred at him, there was something in her eyes he had never seen before. This intrigued him, and frightened him a little, a delicate shiver of fear that was rather delectable. This was quite a change for Parker and despite her being so magnificent when she was angry, he was quite impressed with this new turn in events, imagining just where this might go.

Parker watched his reactions, smiling inwardly as she saw his appreciative ogling. "Lyle," she practically purred as she sat on the edge of his desk casually, not quite in his lap, but certainly invading his personal space, not taking her eyes from his.

"Parker," Lyle drawled back, leaning back a little in his chair casually, interested to see what she thought she was doing with this game. Whatever she thought she was going to achieve or get out of him, he was going to have some fun playing.

Parker watched him for a long moment without saying anything, measuring her thoughts and reactions carefully, as well as his. Finally when the tension was becoming a little too much, the air all but crackling between them, Lyle clearly content to just stare at her, she leaned forward, her mouth practically on his. "I have a deal for you," she said in a throaty whisper, her lips never quite touching his, but tantalisingly close. She had waited, knowing that she could both arouse and intimidate him at the same time and that he was likely to find that a rather heady mix.

Lyle almost choked in surprise, but recovered quickly. Whatever it was, she wanted it pretty badly to come on so strong like this. "You do?" he asked, feigning disinterest as he pulled back all the way now. She might be able to manipulate others like that, but he was the master at this game. He would likely give her what she wanted, or at least let her think he would, but it would be on his terms, not hers.