Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Contains twincest (eventually)
Thanks to ICD for betaing for me!
From where he stood on the edge of the tarmac, alongside the parked limo, Cox watched as the Triumvirate jet slowly rolled to a stop not far from the car. Once the jet came to a complete stop and the engines were winding down to a slow idle, did the door open and two Triumvirate Sweepers step out.

Watching the Sweepers stop at the end of the steps, his eyes discreetly swept their surroundings to ensure nothing was out of place before refocusing his attention to the jet just as another man emerged in the doorway. His gaze was drawn down to the small figure that appeared a second later, her escort placing a hand on her shoulder. A small smile played on his lips as he moved towards the jet. "Kamau," Cox greeted smoothly, his gaze sliding between the man and the young girl; the reason for the jet to be so suddenly dispatched from Africa.

"Cox," the African greeted with a smile as he led the small girl over to him, the Sweepers falling into step behind him. "It has been a long time my friend," he added a moment later.

"Too long," Cox agreed with a nod, his attention once more sliding down to the girl who stood in front of Kamau. "Dangerous times in Africa as I hear."

"Yes, the accident with Baruti was most unfortunate. The investigating team still hasn't pinpointed which member of the envoy the attack was directed at," Kamau shook his head. "A crippling loss to the Triumvirate's family," he continued, "Several projects have suffered since Baruti's demise, and many had to be terminated."

"It will be difficult to find a replacement," Cox agreed, his gaze once more lowering to the child by Kamau's side. "Which leads us to our friend here," he smiled at her, watching her pale eyes glittering intelligently.

"I think the only thing that has spared Kainda from the same fate as so many projects was that she was co-managed. She trusts me, not just Baruti," Kamau rested a light hand against her hair, stroking it affectionately. However, Kainda worked more closely with Baruti, the loss of her mentor was taking its toll. The Triumvirate wanted her working, and while Kamau tried to give her time, he couldn't stop it altogether. Too many projects were no longer working, or no longer existed, results were required now more than ever before. It was a difficult accomplishment when Kainda was unfocused and didn't want to work, but they got some results, enough to keep the Triumvirate quiet.

"Trust was an issue with the other projects?" Cox asked, motioning for Kamau towards the car, falling in step beside him. He was interested in the politics of what was happening in Africa, especially of late with the winds of change sweeping through the Station. He heard some of what was happening, but being in America and nowhere close to the scene, he was dependant on hearing news from friends.

"Baruti had a rapport with his other subjects, attempts at introducing them to a new handler failed. There was no other alternative," Kamau said before he picked up Kainda when she was dragging along beside him. She was tiring, and after such a long flight and different time zones it had only been a matter of time before she dropped. This was her first trip on a plane, and an international flight no less, spending 10 hours on a plane, crossing several time zones in the process would be exhausting for a 4 year old.

There was silence as they got into the limo, driving away from the jet and towards the Centre. Cox watched the child on Kamau's lap, the pale blue eyes that were partially obscured by dark her hair watched him silently. "What has the Centre been told about Kainda?"

"Very little, no one at the Centre has high enough security clearance," Kamau replied calmly. "A Triumvirate project is being sent to work with Sydney. His reputation precedes him, it is the Triumvirate's opinion that he is best suited to be working with Kainda until a replacement is placed in Africa. His influence with the Pretender Project and his work with the Empath, Angelo, are very impressive."

Cox nodded slowly. Sydney was definitely best suited to work with a child like Kainda; he had the experience and the knowledge. The only thing about Sydney that could prove to be dangerous was that he tended to ask questions... and questions were something that shouldn't arise here. The success of Kainda's project was due to its secrecy. Those without the proper security clearance knew nothing of who or what she was. At the Centre, that success and secrecy could be undone in an instant.

Kamau wondered about the silence and looked across at Cox, smirking when his suspicions were correct. "You have that pensive face again," he observed, amused. Even after not having seen his friend for several years, there were some things that didn't change.

"There are people here who have no respect for authority. They will see Kainda, ask questions and when those questions aren't answered, searches will be conducted," Cox predicted, knowing the routine of the Scooby Gang quite well.

"Let them run their searches, they won't find anything. Any information related to Kainda has been thoroughly secured." It was one of the first things that were seen to when it was agreed where Kainda would be sent. Kamau looked across at Cox with a small smile. "Just like the information of someone else I could mention."

Cox chuckled softly, conceding the point to Kamau. When the Triumvirate wanted to hide information, they could be extremely thorough about it, so not even the resourceful Mr Broots could uncover anything. "Still, you should be warned about what you're going to encounter here. The people who will cause trouble with snooping have an industrious tech at their disposal," Cox cautioned Kamau. Hearing of the Centre's disorder and factions in the ordered realm of the Station was a bit different to experiencing it firsthand. Kamau would be taken by surprise by the way things were done at the Centre.

"You have been away from the Triumvirate far too long my friend, you're beginning to doubt our methods," Kamau told him with a smile. Seeing the large building come into view as they past the gates, he turned his attention to Kainda. Grasping the hood of her coat that hung down the middle of her back, he carefully guided it over her head. "This stays on," he murmured to her, smiling when the hood further obscured her face.

Cox watched Kamau interact with the young Prodigy, but said nothing. A hood would only pique some people's interest, but it would keep them behind the curb for a time. However, when Sydney began working with her, it would happen quickly from when questions were asked to when the first searches were conducted. "There is a room already prepared for you in the Residential Wing," he said after shaking off his thoughts.

"Are the cameras disabled? The less the Centre's cameras record Kainda, the better for the secrecy of her identity," Kamau said, looking up when the limo was coming to a stop outside the main entrance of the Centre.

"Everything was arrange according to the Triumvirate's wishes when the orders came through," Cox assured before getting out of the limo, rounding the car just as the Triumvirate Sweepers surrounded the car, one opening the door for Kamau and Kainda.

Standing out of the limo with Kainda firmly in his arms, supported against his shoulder, Kamau took a moment to study the exterior of the Centre. So this was the insolent corporation that caused Mutumbo so much annoyance. It was impressive in its own way, but not nearly as impressive as the Station. Nodding at Cox to lead the way, he followed beside his friend, the Sweepers falling in behind them. It wasn't every project that would be escorted by Sweepers, who weren't there to either restrain or hurt, but to protect. Kainda wasn't just any project though, she was special.