Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: “The Pretender” and its characters do not belong to me they belong to TNT and NBC and are being used without permission. Please don’t sue because I have no money.

Beginnings

Outside

Young Jarod walked out into the sun and looked around. This was the first time that he had been outside since they were at the cabin they had temporarily rented. The Jarod of a different time had made sure that they were hidden and gave them all new identities. They would go to school and act like they were normal children. Last night they were given a sedative, so they would sleep. The older Jarod had helped and carried all the children into the cabin and then left to his own time.

Jarod watched as the birds hopped around and sang in the trees. He had only read about birds in books. He turned to the car that they drove in here and wondered what kind of car it was. It was pretty big.

“Jarod, what are you doing?” Little Miss Parker came out and wandered towards Jarod. Mrs. Parker came out too along with Lyle, Angelo and Kyle.

“I was wondering what kind of car this was.”

“It’s an SUV.”

“Oh.” He then turned to Mrs. Parker and then towards the hills. “It’s beautiful out here. I’ve read books about birds in a book and I’ve seen hills and mountains in books, but I’ve never seen them before.”

“Come on in children. It’s time for breakfast. We’re having pancakes.”

“What are pancakes?” Jarod asked curiously.

“They are good Jarod and you can put butter and syrup on them. You’ve never had them?” Wondering why her friend never had pancakes. “What did they feed you inside the Centre?”

“They gave me wheatgrass and tomatoes.”

“That’s all?”

“Yes.”

She nodded and skipped into the house ready to have some pancakes. She knew that Jarod would like them.

Jarod came into the house and smelled something good and helped Miss Parker set the table. They were sitting at the table a minute later and Jarod took a bite.

“This is very good.”

“I told you.”

“You’re going to like ice cream too.”

“Ice cream?”

“I love ice cream, mama.”

“I know you do.”

“Jarod and Kyle will like it too.”

“You’ve had some ice cream too haven’t you Lyle?”

“Sometimes when I was good.”

Mrs. Parker told Lyle that she was his mother and Miss Parker was his twin sister and told Miss Parker that Lyle was her twin brother.