Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Ethan closed his eyes waiting for the Major to call him back. His mind flashed with images of Natasha weeping in his arms.

What do you mean they were murdered?”

“I can’t prove it yet, but they were.” Ethan narrowed his eyes touching her cheek. “Something is going on here. How well did you know your parents, Natasha?”

“What kind of question is that?” Natasha pulled away from his arms glaring at him. “They WERE MY PARENTS.”

Ethan’s mind raced thinking about the two people that Raines had raise him. “Something is going on here.”

“Your accusing them of all sorts of horrible things!”

“Natasha, sometimes people can do things…” Ethan glanced at his hands.

“Have you done things, Ethan?”

“Yes… I have.”

Ethan blinked as his cell phone rang out and he reached into his pocket. “Hello?”

“Look behind you.” The Major’s voice was strangely cheerful as Ethan turned around to embrace his father. “Hello, son!” He held on to the boy he hardly knew.

“Dad.” Ethan closed his eyes trying to push away the last few years. “It’s good to see you. How is … Steven?” Ethan’s mind raced to remember the name of Jarod’s clone.

“He’s well enough, and Emily sends her greetings as well. We have been worried sick about you! Jarod has done his best to keep in touch, but you son.” The Major let out a sigh. “At least your alive.”

“Jarod’s in serious trouble, and …” He opened his mouth and shut it again recalling Natasha and Miss Parker’s pregnancies. “The Centre no longer has any need for us if they get a hold of something.”

“Let’s worry about finding Jarod first.” He watched as Ethan pulled out his laptop.

“There are three warehouses that the Centre owns.” Ethan pointed them out on the map. “He could be in any of them.”

“The Centre wouldn’t risk loosing Jarod again. They would hold him in a warehouse that is the furthest from any main road.”

“Something that is also away from any law enforcement.” Ethan pointed towards a police station.

“This one here looks to be our best bet.” Ethan watched as his father now reached inside his leather jacket pulling out a gun, and handed it to Ethan.

“I… I don’t like weapons.”

“Son, these people want to kill you.” The Major narrowed his eyes.

‘They wanted you to live.’ Ethan glanced into Natasha’s eyes. ‘They ‘needed’ you to live.’

‘Why?’ Natasha shivered as Ethan shook his head.

Ethan blinked awake and noticed his father waving his hand in front of his face. “Son? Are you alright?”

“The Centre… knew about Natasha.” Ethan felt a piece of the puzzle fitting into place. “It was them.”

“Son?”

“Natasha, is someone I care about. I did a ‘pretend’ like Jarod. Her parents were murdered by someone… I could never figure out who. I failed.” Ethan’s eyes glazed over.

“Son, we need to get moving!” He reached out touching Ethan’s arm. “We will worry about your Natasha later.”

Ethan nodded climbing inside his father’s car.

“Are you going to be able to focus?” The Major yet again handed him a weapon, but this time it was some sort of dart gun. Ethan glanced at it and smirked. “It’s non lethal.”

“I’ll do my best to keep my inner sense under control.” Ethan of course was lying only three things helped control his voices. The first was a bike, second loud music, and third had been Natasha.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“We should have moved in on the girl.” Raines shook his head as Lyle watched Jarod swing by his ankles. “She was ready to be summoned.”

“That girl was my father’s last project.” Lyle rolled his eyes. “It’s a pity we can’t wave her true identity in Sydney’s face. I would have enjoyed making him suffer before killing him.”

“Lyle.” Raines rolled his eyes.

“We could have told Ethan something really wicked… This is your sister.”

“The boy would have known that wasn’t true. See that the guard is doubled.” Raines glanced towards another sweeper who nodded.

“Parker wouldn’t dare come here.”

“I’m not worried about Parker.” Raines moved in closer slapping Jarod awake. “Time for you to answer some questions, Jarod?”

“Two plus two is twenty-two.” Jarod mumbled and managed to open up his eyes. “Why don’t you go ahead and kill me?”

“We can’t until we have Miss Parker back.” Lyle pulled back on his leather gloves. “Until that time we have to keep you alive.”

“Mores the pity.” Raines shook his head as Lyle splashed Jarod with more cold water. “Make sure he’s still alive when your done.” Raines walked outside.

Ethan shivered looking at his old tormentor. “He’s expecting someone.” they had walked the last mile to reached the warehouse.

“I see ten men on the other side of the building.”

“A lot of men for just Jarod.” Ethan smiled and glanced towards her father.

“It’s still not enough.”