Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
A little late for Valentine's day but hope you enjoy it none the less.

"Have you seen this man? Six two, one hundred and eighty pounds." Miss Parker's voice artificially sweet and pleasant while holding a picture of Jarod in front of the receptionist at the Texas medical clinic.

"Oh Jarod." The receptionist blushes as she looks at the picture. " I mean Dr. West. Oh yes!"

"Are you sure? And would Dr. West still be here by any chance?" Miss Parker's eyes scanning the area behind the receptionist.

"Oh no, I'm sorry you missed him. He left yesterday but you're Miss Parker aren't you?"

"Why yes." Miss Parker pulls back in surprise and furrows her brow. "How did you know?"

"Oh he talked quite a bit about you." Another woman says with a smile. "Matter of fact when I was finishing up his patient billing yesterday, he said we might expect a visit from you. Let me call Dr. Rowel." It takes only moments before the nurses and other medical staff start peering around the corner of the opening behind the receptionist desk to smile and stare at Miss Parker.

"Miss Parker!" Dr. Rowel bursts through the door separating the lobby area from the examine rooms like a raging bull. "My God! I would have known you any where from Jarod's description. What a delight to have you here with us little lady!" Grabbing her hand and shaking it vigorously. The tall man in the white coat with mustache, bolo tie and cowboy boots is smiling like he is happy to see her. "I'm sorry you missed your friend but Jarod did leave you a little something and if you come right this way to my office I'll be more than happy to give it to you."

"Of course." The puzzled look on her face makes Dr. Rowel's grin grow bigger.

"Sorry, not you three. Miss Parker only." He puts his hand out to stop Sam, Sydney and Broots.

"I'll wait out in the car Miss Parker." Sam nodding his head towards the door.

"Good idea Sam. Broots, Syd, wait in the lobby." She orders as the doctor is leading her in the back area of the clinic, shutting the waiting room door behind him.

Making their way over to a couple of empty seats Broots slips a hand in his pocket, pulling out a red piece of paper out as he sits down.

"What do you have there?"

"Crazy as it seems, Debbie left me a valentine day card. Gosh you know Sydney, my little girl, she's almost grown. I really didn't expect it this year but there it was next to the breakfast cereal this morning." Showing Sydney the home made red heart with 'I love you Daddy' hand written across it.

"You're very lucky." Sydney yawns. "Ah yes, I had forgotten what today was. Now if Miss Parker and Jarod would keep normal hours so I could get some sleep." Then leaning his head back against the wall and folding his arms across his chest, Sydney's eyes close.

Broots left on his own, looks around the large waiting room. For a medical clinic it is spacious, well lit with a high ceiling and lots of light. The half round reception desk dominates the far end of the room. Real plants soften the white walls and the western art work adds a homey feeling that goes well with the country western music playing over the hidden speakers. The chrome and white imitation leather seats are comfortable and the glass coffee tables are filled with magazines completing the look. But why would Jarod work at a place like this? A family practice clinic with five doctors, nothing special or out of the ordinary. A dry run for a upcoming pretend? This had been too easy to find, almost as if Jarod wanted them to find it.

Feeling someone's eyes on him, he began scanning the occupants of the room. Most are busy reading or talking to each other in low voices. Then like a bolt of lighting his eyes lock with the most beautiful woman he has ever seen. The blonde is staring at him and when their eyes meet, her smile grows bigger and she quickly winks.

Putting his hand up to his chest, he mouths the words, 'Me?'

Without speaking she winks again. Looking around and seeing no one else, Broots can feel a blush working it's way up his neck to his face. She winks again, he winks back. Then almost as if embarrassed she turns giggling to the two women sitting next to her.

Looking at the women Broots can see a resemblance, the brunette mid thirties must be a older sister and the other woman their mother. The blonde turns back around with another wink and this time waving her hand ever so slightly. Blushing he waves his hand in return.

Watching her, Broots heart begins to do back flips. Her pale milky white skin with pink checks, her full red lips, the blond curls that nip her shoulders with each move, the low cut pink tee shirt outlining her ample breasts and slim waist encircled by a western belt with a large silver buckle makes his heart do double time. Without thinking, his eyes continue to drink in her appearance, the way her jeans fit just right, ending with the cowboy boots on her feet, she is without a doubt the most gorgeous creature he has ever seen. And she is smiling and winking at him! The game of winking and slight hand waves continue on for several minutes with the woman turning to her companions giggling and the other two women occasionally looking in Broots' direction and frowning.


"Oh my god, you're not going to believe this Syd." Broots' voice barely above a whisper breaking Sydney's attempt at rest. "But I think that woman is flirting with me!"


"What woman?" Sydney's eyes are suddenly wide open following Broots' finger pointing out the blonde who is winking and waving her hand in Broots' direction. Sydney watches as the woman coyly begins winking again with Broots returns her winks. Raising her hand slightly she waves with both men returning her wave.

"I do believe she is flirting with you Broots!" Chuckling Sydney looks over at Broots.

"Yeah but why me? I mean look at how beautiful she is and I'm just so ... I'm not in her league Syd."

"Don't under estimate yourself. Who knows why people are attracted to each other? It's been the subject of discussion and the study of man kind for centuries. Maybe she sees a virile man, some one who projects a inner strength as well as compassion. Some one she can trust."

"That's not what most people see when they look at me. I'm balding, weak and Miss Parker bosses me around like a underling. Of course I do work for her but still, no one sees me as strong."

"Debbie your daughter does. Her father is the wisest, kindest and the strongest man she knows. Even when you don't feel that way."

"So are you saying this woman is looking at me like a father figure?"

"No, on the contrary, she may see in you the qualities Debbie sees. And it is Valentine's day after all."

"What should I do Syd? I've never done anything like this before." His whole body shaking nervously as he pleads with Sydney before looking back at the blonde.

"Seize the moment! You may never have another chance like this again. And if you don't do it now, you'll always wonder what could have been. Be a man Broots for God's sake! " Sydney clinches his fists, shaking them to emphasize his meaning. "If you don't, you will always regret this."

"Uh, OK if you think that's what I should do then I guess that...oh God Syd. What if she turns me down and I make a fool of myself?"

"When a woman looks at you the way she is doing now, you won't make a fool of yourself. Trust me." Shaking his head at his friend's hesitation.

"OK." Rising slowly he feels the beads of sweat forming on his upper lip. "Alright, I'll do it." The red flush that begins at the base of his neck rises with each step as he mentally reviews what he should say.

'Hi, I'm Broots, I couldn't help noticing you across the room. Oh boy does that sound dumb!'

Focusing on the blonde woman he can barely hear the nurse's voice in the background.

"Sue Ellen, you're next."

Only a five more steps and the blonde who is still smiling at him begins to stand up.

'Oh my God, now what?' Broots' brain starts to melt. Taking two more steps towards her as she takes a step towards him, then spotting some white in her hand he freezes as the red tip flies out hitting his shoe.

"Oh I'm sorry. Did I hit you?" Her smooth Texas accent dripping like warm honey as she looks blindly around for the object her cane has hit.

"Uh, uh no! I'm sorry." Looking side to side for a way to escape, Broots begins to shake violently.

"Sue Ellen, come this way." Taking the blonde's arm and leading her away, the brunette following the nurse pauses long enough to send a scathing look in Broot's direction.

"You should be ashamed of yourself!" The older woman begins hissing in low tones at Broots. "Making fun of a poor blind handicapped woman."

"I, I didn't know..."

"Don't deny it. I saw you and your friend over there. The two of you mocking her, making fun of the uncontrollable twitching of her eye and hand. You both should be ashamed!" Pointing to Sydney and shaking her finger. "Both of you grown men too! What the hell is this world coming to?" With a frown she turns and begins walking to catch up with her daughters.

Broots quickly returns to his seat aware of the stares of the other people in the waiting room and looks to Sydney for help. But he's hiding behind a newspaper suppressing a laugh.

"Well so much for seizing the moment. Thanks a lot Syd." Broots picks up a magazine, holding it in front of him as he slides down in his seat as far as possible.

"Well I never did say that it was a exact science and some times the interpretation of our observations can be wrong." Raising the paper even more Sydney avoids Broot's eyes by pretending to read.

"Well thank you Dr. Rowel and if you're ever in Blue Cove, don't bother to call!" They can hear Miss Parker irritated voice. Snapping her fingers as she comes through the now open door. "Broots, Syd we're out of here. Now!"

"Fine by me!" Broots is immediately up and racing her to the front door.

"Miss Parker, did you find out what Jarod....."

"You're the shrink, you figure it out." Slamming the red heart shaped box into Sydney's chest. But behind her angry, Sydney detects a hint of a smile. "And if I never lay eyes on Texas again it'll be too soon."


"Well that's one thing we both agree on Miss Parker!" Broots is through the door ahead of her.





Chapter End Notes:
As much as I would love to take credit for the inspiration for this story, I can't. A similar situation happened to a friend, I only elaborated on the events to fit the Pretender and the character Broots.