Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

The phone rang and her hand fumbled it's way across the bed to the night stand next to it. Another ring as her hand found the phone.

"What?" Not the normal impatient tone but one that signaled a sleepy annoyance.

"Do you think we'll ever find the answers?"

"The answers to what?"

"To all our questions."

"What are you talking about Jarod?"

After a moment of silence on his part, he spoke in a low voice. "The answers we're both looking for Miss Parker."

"Is this a game?" She rolled over, looked at the clock that glowed in the dark and groaned. "It's three in the morning."

"No, this isn't a game."

Now the silence was on her end.

"I'm not sure I want to ask the questions anymore. Each answer comes with a heavy price and only brings more questions. For you," She sighed and shook her head. "For you maybe it's different."

"Different how?"

"You still have your mother out there. Mine, God only knows where she is. I use to think it was so simple. I went to the cemetery every year on the anniversary of her death, I felt she was there. Knowing she was there was one of the few things I could depend on." A small sob rose in her throat."But she's not there Jarod. That ghoul Raines..."

"She's always with you no matter where she's buried. She's in your heart."

"I know. And when I found I had a twin, a brother, it turns out to be Lyle." She pushed herself up on her elbow then spit out the words with disgust. "My brother is a psychopathic killer. A cannibal. Someone who does horrible, unspeakable things. We're twins, what does that say about me?"

"You're not Lyle, you're nothing like him. You're like your mother, don't ever forget that. There is a goodness in you just as there was in her. And you have another brother, our brother Ethan. He is still out there Miss Parker. Don't forget that."

"Ethan can take care of himself. Don't ask me how I know...I just...know."

"The voices, your inner sense."

"Yes." Her slight laugh made him smile. "But Jarod you still have your father. I don't even have that anymore. The man I thought was my father...." Her voice trailed off.

"Don't give up hope Miss Parker. We've come too far and not all the truth is painful."

"It is for me." She paused for a moment. "Why did you call Jarod?"

"Because we all need hope Miss Parker." He hung up and leaned back against the headboard of the bed in the dark motel room as a tear rolled down his face. His voice barely above a whisper finished the sentence he couldn't say to her. "Because Miss Parker, we all need hope including me. No one wants to feel alone and there isn't anyone out there who understands what I'm going through more then you."