Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Story Notes:
Wrote this story last Christmas, and it was a lot of fun. Although technically it is a Christmas story, you can read it whenever your in the mood for a bit of fanfic.

The first chapter is a bit nostalgic and...quiet I guess (though Miss Parker would disagree with me here. You'll see once you've read it...) Originally written as a one shot, so it works well alone.

Second, born out of a request from reviewers (see, it pays to let the writer know what you want) is more comedy-based. Also a completed piece

There were requests for a third, though I am yet to have another
consolation by muse on that matter. Who knows, maybe next Christmas..


Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclamer: The characters belong to...um...not me. Just borrowing, I promise I'll put them back when I'm done. And I almost forgot, I'm not making money, of any currency, from this.Seriously, if you can't scurry up enough money to make a new movie, do you really think people will pay for my fic's?

 

A/N: Thought I should add something "Chrismasy" during the holidays, hope you like it. R&R Please

 


 

She put down her lipstick to shoot an angry glare in the direction of her curtains, which was closely followed by a deep hissing sound to fully underline her rage.

One of her neighbors had gone a little Christmas crazy and covered his house in, what she guessed would be, the makings of a very expensive electricity bill. All her drapes were closed but the blinking of too many colored light bulbs still pierced trough making her very tempted to get out a sett of pliers to end the “joy” ones and for all. It was Christmas Eve, and it had been years since “daddy” Parker had made his exit in a parachute.

The phone started ringing and she reluctantly moved towards it instead of her tool box. She placed the phone between her ear and shoulder as she continued to apply makeup she didn't really need.

“What?”

He chuckled a bit, some things never change.

“You know, for an intelligent woman you use a very limited vocabulary”

She stopped what she was doing to let the memories flood her head

“Jarod...”

She could barely believe it was him. The clue leaving had slowly faded, until it stopped completely around three and a half years ago. He stopped calling soon after. Every ones in a while she would read an article about a mysterious stranger saving the day, but other than that and the occasional may-have-might-have-been-him-but-he-left-five-weeks-ago-conversation with some hillbilly, she hadn't heard anything in three years. That's a long time, she thought as she formulated a proper response “Well, you're not exactly Hemingway either”

“Touchê”

Although he couldn't see her he knew she was smiling, and she was.

It was such a long time since they had talked they were both scared to say the wrong thing, so for a while they said nothing.

Soon it had been quiet for too long. He knew that if he didn't say something soon, she was left with two options, hanging up or asking why he called. And he didn't know why he called, tonight he didn't want to figure it out either. He just wanted to keep talking about nothing and everything like the two old friends he wished they were.

5,

4,

3,

He needed to say something soon or else...

“So, how you been?” She asked. She had to say something to keep him from hanging up, and she didn't want to ask him why he called. If she did the spell would be broken and she would have to remember how things are, and tonight that was the last thing she wanted.

“I've been...” he cleared his throat and hoped it would work on his mind to “well, you know.”

And she did.

He took a deep breath and changed the subject “And what are you up to this glorious evening?” He said it with such empathize on 'glorious' she knew he was being sarcastic.

“Nothing much, I have a reservation at a restaurant so... And you?” She was thrown back a little by the casualness of her own response, it was all so...normal.

Three years is a long time.

“I guess I'll grab something to eat. But it'll probably be a little less healthy than whatever you're eating.”

She laughed and he knew how much he'd missed it.

He never intended on leaving clues indefinitely, at first it was just a way to stay in touch with Sydney and of course he took some pleasure in the taunting as well. But he quickly decided that it was a good way too keep them occupied, giving them less time to find him on their own. That way he knew when they were closing in, and when they weren't.
So he could stay a long time in one place, sometimes a whole month. After a while he got so good at anticipating their next move there was no longer need for clues, he was a pretender after all.
But he kept sending them in hopes that his family was using them to find him, like Kyle had. But nothing happened.
And after a while he was just so sick of it all he decided it was better to never stay longer than a week in one place, instead of having to run from sweepers every time he stayed a minute more than he should. Of course they caught up with him every ones in a while, it was inevitable if he wanted to do anything other than sitting in a basement all day long. And that was sort of the reason he escaped...among others things.

“Let me guess. As a starter: Instant mac and cheese. Main course: a burger with fries, followed closely by pez, twinkies and twelve frosted doughnuts, and...a coke?”

“Hey, diet coke” He said in mock seriousness.

There it was again, that wonderful laugh.

“You don't celebrate Christmas?”

“No, it's more of a family holiday.”

So he still hadn't found his family. “Nothing says fun with ma' and pa' like a fat guy in a red bathrobe.”

“Yeah, speaking of which. I've been out for ten years now but I still don't get the whole Santa Clause-thing.” ten years, he thought, has it been that long?

“I don't think anyone does, it's just one of those things.” She smiled a little, he was still trying to find a meaning behind everything. Some things never change.

“I guess...”

The silence threatened to form again and he decided it was easiest to just give in. “Well, you have a reservation so...”

Yeah, reservations...” She slowly shook herself to consciousness, she had been so taken back by the fact that he called, she hadn't even noticed that during their conversation her neighbor had added a soundtrack to his blinking nightmare. Jingle bells was blasting across the neighborhood, perfectly in sync with the annoying lights.

“So guess I should go...”

“Jarod?” She wanted to keep talking, but she had no idea what to say.

“Yeah?”

“Merry Christmas”

**

Maybe that's why I called, he thought as he placed his cell in his pocket and took out the pez next to it.

**

She stood for a moment with the phone in her hand, remembering happy memories of a lost childhood.

Jingle bells, jingle bells! Jingle all the way!”

“Now where did I put those pliers?”