Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Jacci for editing this, and thanks to those who reveiwed. Sorry about the wait.
"Why did you turn the radio off?" Jarod asked a little annoyed, but mainly curious.

"I don’t like Oprah." Miss Parker replied.

Jarod tilted his head and a frown creased his brow as he thought, after a few seconds Jarod spoke, "Who is Oprah, and what does she have to do with you turning the radio off?"

"Forget it wonder-boy!" Miss Parker let out a frustrated sigh, why was he so damn annoying?

"I want to know... I’m curious." He said, almost sulking.

"Better hope you’re not a cat." Miss Parker growled angrily.

"I’m not Miss Parker." Jarod replied, stating the obvious, confused as to why she would think that. "Come on Parker, just asking a simple question, making small talk. Why did you turn it off?"

Making small chat my ass! Boy-wonder knows damned well why I turned that stupid machine off!

Without answering the question, Miss Parker shot a warning glance at him to shut up. Who the hell was she trying to kid? Making Franken-boy shut up was almost as impossible as making Lyle pick flowers!

"Come on Miss Parker, you got me, why don’t you tell me."

Snapping her head to the side, she saw Jarod’s face blank, but there was no doubt as to what she saw in those puppy dog browns. Amusement.

That’s it! Just play along Parker, beat him at his own game.

"Cute, not funny but cute." Miss Parker shot back.

Perfect Parker!

The look on Jarod’s face for that spilt second was priceless! The utter surprise that swept his features was unmistakable.

"Miss Parker... you remembered... I’m flattered." Jarod finally got out, having to think about what was needed to come out his mouth.

"Don’t be rat. You’re my job, I have to know you, which includes memorising every detail I ever got from or off of you."

Oh god, I didn’t mean to hurt him like that... what are you thinking Parker? Jarod deserves to be hurt! But that look…! Parker let out a sigh.

Jarod hadn’t bothered to hide the hurt that Miss Parker’s comment had caused. She could always do that, hurt him like no-one else could. Just like he could do to her.

"I’m sorry Jarod." Miss Parker said in a whisper.

Jarod couldn’t contain the shock!

She said sorry!! She threw a snide remark that stung like a killer bee, but she apologised! Maybe there’s still hope. Maybe little Miss Parker is still in there after all those years of darkness! Maybe I can still reach her!! Jarod was almost jumping for joy!

"It’s alright Parker." Jarod said in an even voice, striped of any emotion, "I guess I deserved that."

"Do you think I would apologise if I didn't have to? You gave a compliment of some sort and I snapped right back at you. It was un-called for."

"Thank you." Jarod had to try with all his might to keep a neutral mask on, not to let the tears show. It had been years since anyone had apologised to him, if ever. No-one at the Centre thought they needed to apologise for what happened to him, it meant the world to Jarod that Miss Parker said she was sorry. She would never know how much it truly meant to him.

Miss Parker never responded, she just started straight ahead at the road.

#######

Night time started to fall upon the couple. The soft hues of the sunset illuminated the darkening sky. With the loss of the sun, the cold started to creep up on them. Until they were shivering.

Spotting a diner, Miss Parker pulled into the car park. Pushing a button, and then exiting her car, Miss Parker proceeded to secure the soft roof of the car.

Walking over too Jarod’s side of the Boxter, Miss Parker pulled open the door without thought. Jarod let out a yelp of pain at having his arm roughly pulled along with the door. Half hanging out of the car, Jarod looked up at his captor.

"Can you please shut the door a bit so my arm isn’t pulled half out of its socket."

Only just realising why he yelped in pain, Miss Parker quickly shut the door almost all the way.

Crouching down to his level, Miss Parker spoke, "I’m hungry, I know you are too. Can I trust you to eat without running?"

"Yes."

"I’m serious Jarod, if I see you slip something into your pocket, cause undue attention, try to run, I will not hesitate to shoot you. If you are not in range I will resort to shooting innocent people until you return. And I don’t need to remind you the Centre will clean up my mess."

"Like I told you before, I will not let innocent bystanders get hurt. I promise not to try anything."

"Good. Let’s go." Miss Parker stood up after she freed Jarod from the cuffs.

#######

It was like stepping back through time. The diner was made to look like Grease. The waitress’s wearing puffy skirts and tucked in shirts, their hair mainly up. The guys were in the tight pants and short jackets with the collar up.

Sitting in the booth at the very back, Jarod trapped in the corner, they found the place quite appealing. The music was being played off of old records, songs from around the 50's, being released from a genuine, antique jukebox.

"What can I get you two?" A young girl no older than 16 asked with a smile.

Smiling back, Miss Parker asked, "Do you have anything healthy, like a salad with chicken?"

"No we don’t, but let me see what we can cook up? I’m sure the cook won’t mind. What about you sir?"

"Jarod will have the same." Miss Parker answered before he had a chance.

"Can you give us a minute please?" Jarod asked, smiling at the young waitress.

"No worries."

"Miss Parker, I don’t want the salad."

"Jarod I said that we are eating healthy and I mean it."

"I will be locked away for the rest of my life in about five hours, let me indulge for the last time."

"Jarod, I said healthy ok."

"No, it’s not ok!" Jarod’s voice raised a notch, "I’m going back to hell and you’re worried about what I eat? Come off of it Parker, you're the one sending me back there, you're the one damning me for all eternity! I’m eating what I want!" Jarod finished angrily.

Jarod’s heart sunk when he saw the hurt on her face.

"I’m sorry Jarod. I have to take you back there, if I don’t, they will kill me. The triumvirate is losing patience, and I have been gone to long not to come home with you. I didn’t want this to happen this way."

Miss Parker got up and walked outside, sitting on a bench near the front doors.

#######

This was his chance! He could slip out the back doors and make a run for it. He could be long gone before Parker realised it. Freedom smelt so sweet... then why were his legs carrying him out the doors to where Parker sat?

Sitting down next to her, Jarod realised she was sobbing softly.

"Hey Miss Parker, I’m sorry I snapped at you."

Looking up at the pretender Miss Parker saw genuine concern and guilt.

"Why? I deserved it. You're right, like normal, I am the one to screw your life up. I deserve everything you can throw at me and so much more."

"You don’t have a choice in the matter. I would willing walk right back to the Centre now, if it would save your life."

"I’m not hungry anymore. Do you still want to eat?"

"Why put off my fate? Let’s get going."

Nodding, Miss Parker got up off the bench and followed Jarod to the car. Cuffing the pretender's hand back to the handle of the door, Miss Parker got in and drove off.

#######

"Jarod, if the Centre didn’t use your work to hurt and kill, would you have still left?"

Sighing, Jarod turned to look at Parker. What an odd question for her to ask. She had been acting strange for the last few hours, changing somewhat. He would have laughed at anyone if they told him that Parker would apologise for insulting him, and even more so for taking him back to hell.

"No, I believe I would have stayed."

"Why?" Miss Parker asked in a small voice. This was one question she always wanted to ask.

"I knew no better. The Centre was my home, my life, my work. I loved Sydney, I would have done anything for him. I had Angelo, and Kenny before Damin killed him. I loved the challenges I was given, the constant attention I got from my work. I didn’t have to worry about anything other than the problem at hand. And I had you."

This caused Miss Parker to look strangely at the man.

"How?"

"I always would SIM you returning to the Centre. What would happen if I ever saw you again, what you would look like, what you would say. I would imagine you laughing at some stupid thing I said, at some joke that went over my head. You kept me wanting to stay just to catch a glimpse off you."

And must I ask again, why didn’t anyone ever tell me how incredible this man is? My god! He would have stayed at the Centre just to see me. He would have put up with the pain that place caused, with all the nightmares it caused for me!

"Why? I would have been a total cow to you, would have ripped your head off for coming near me. You would have copped such verbal abuse, even you would have run off with your tail between your legs! You must have known that?"

"I still believe you to be that sweet, caring girl I knew as a child. I’m stubborn as a mule, I will never let that go, and I will prevail until I am proven right!"

"That may be never Jarod. We are half an hour out of Blue Cove."

"I will never stop trying." Jarod turned back to look out the window.

#######

The Centre was in sight, ten minutes more and they were there. Stealing a glance at the cuffed pretender, Miss Parker noticed him shaking un- controllably. His eyes were squeezed shut and his breathing was rapid.

This is the last time I am doing this for him. I swear to god, he won’t get off so easily next time.

Reaching over with one hand, Miss Parker un-cuffed Jarod’s hand. Trying with all she had to stay on the road, while she steered with one hand.

His head shot up with a snap.

"Miss Parker, what are you doing?" The poor guy was confused as all hell.

"Put your seat belt on genius." Was all the replay he got.

Reaching over his shoulder, Jarod grabbed the belt and clipped it into its holder.

What the hell does she think she’s doing?

"Miss Parker what’s going on?" Jarod asked as he felt the car gaining speed.

"Hold on tight, and whatever you do, don’t stay here. Run as far as you can. Am I understood?" Miss Parker asked with a claim she did not feel.

"No I don't, what are you doing?" Jarod asked, not bothering to hide his panic. She was starting to really scare him now.

"Just promise me you’ll get away, please Jarod? I don’t want to be the one responsible for your death at the Centre."

"And what about yours, this will make me responsible."

"No, it won’t. I’m doing what my mother would have wanted." Turning to face the panicked man next to her, she added, "Please Jarod!"

Looking over at her with panicked and terror filled eyes, Jarod saw the pure anguish on her face, the tears swimming in her eyes, and the few that rolled down her cheek.

She’s crying, oh god! What is she doing! Why won’t she listen, just take me in! I can survive anything knowing she’s safe!!

And before Jarod could say anymore, he felt the shift in speed once more and the turn of directions. Looking out of the window, he could see the tree coming straight for them, the screeching of the tires, the crunch of the metal, as the car impacted with the tree on Miss Parker’s side.

"Please Jarod...go..." Miss Parker gasped before her eye's rolled back into her head.