Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry guys, I know I promised more regular updates of this story, but i have been away from home and not had a chance to do it yet. Thanks for the reveiws guys, hope you like this chapter.

 The underline writing is a song, which i do not own or making money from, italics is her remembering. 


Steaming hot water, the smell of coconut, the relaxation...

All he needed now was Miss Parker naked in front of him and his morning was complete. Well, aside from the whole captured and begin returning to Van Dieman’s Land that is. Van Dieman’s Land was where they originally sent the worst of the convicts that arrived in New Holland. And the way the Centre treated him, he felt the convict’s were better off. But for now, he was going to enjoy his shower.

The hot water pelted down on his back. Jarod had his hands up against the tiles, savouring the mix of cool against hot. The rhythmical beating from the water on his back soothed the sore muscles and helped the pretender to relax. Remembering that Miss Parker only had giving him 10 minutes, he got to work.

Grabbing the sponge, Jarod poured some of his coconut body-wash on to it. Man, did he love the smell of coconut. It had always reminded him of the sun and beach. Jarod would imagine going of to some tropical island, bathing in the sun and waves, digging his feet into the soft sand. Paradise.

Banging on the door brought Jarod out of his mini pretend.

"You have three minutes to finish in there before I drag your sorry wet ass out!" Miss Parker yelled through the closed door.

She really needs to learn how to be more patient.
Letting out a sad sigh, Jarod reluctantly turned off the water. Stepping out off the shower, the pretender grabbed a dry towel and wrapped it around his waist. Looking in the mirror, Jarod decided that a shave was in order.

He was half way through shaving when the door flew open. Startled, Jarod accidentally cut himself.

"Ow! That hurt!"

"Stop your whining and get dressed now, we are leaving." Miss Parker ordered, ignoring the blood steadily seeping out from the cut on Jarod’s neck.

"Can I at least finish shaving? You wouldn’t want me looking all grubby when I see father dear, would you?" Jarod shot at her, letting his anger show at the situation.

"Make it quick."

Jarod waited untill Miss Parker left, but apparently she had another idea.

"Can I have some privacy?"

Her icy glare was his only answer.

Looking down at the razor in his hands, then back up at Parker, Jarod tried to work out if he could use it against her. Quickly running a few SIM’s through his head he decided, probably not.

I could get to her if I reacted while shaving, just before she pulls the gun... but I might hurt her. I don’t want to have to hold her in a choke grip with the razor against her throat. What would happen if I slip on the wet floor? Could I even get to her before she pulls her gun?

With a sigh, he turned around and finished his job. Miss Parker seemed to want to stay while he got dressed too. Jarod hadn’t thought about his clothes, he just wanted to be washed and clean. It was Parker who brought clean clothes in with her for Jarod to change into.

"I suppose it’s still a no to that privacy thing huh?"

Miss Parker dropped his clothes onto the floor at his feet.

With yet another sigh, Jarod picked them up, turned around and quickly got dressed. With Miss Parker watching him, hand on her gun at her back, Jarod felt like he was already at the Centre, eye’s constantly on him. The pretender would normally have made a show, teasing Parker like he always did, but this was far from a happy, fun situation.

When the pretender finished dressing, he quickly grabbed his gel out of his toiletry bag on the counter, and spiked his messy hair. Jarod was about to grab his toothbrush when a hand on his forearm stopped him.

"No, we are leaving, take a mint instead." Miss Parker ordered.

#######

The DSA reader and Jarod’s duffle bag were unceremoniously thrown in the boot. Jarod was seated in the passenger seat, his hand cuffed to the door handle. Miss Parker started the lowered car, pulling smoothly out of the driveway.

"Miss Parker?" Jarod asked over the wind.

"What is it rat-boy?" She hissed cruelly, Jarod tried not to flinch at the remark.

"Can we stop somewhere for breakfast? I haven’t eaten since..."

"I really don't care when you ate last."

"I’ll shout you." Jarod hoped this would persuade her into stopping.

Jarod last ate two days earlier and that was at lunch. He had been so busy with figuring out the last pieces of evidence he had simply forgotten to eat. The pretender’s stomach let out a loud rumble, his face coloured a bit in embarrassment, hoping Miss Parker hadn’t heard.

Miss Parker turned her head at Jarod, he wore a cocky grin.

"Jarod this trip will not be all fun and games, understood? I don’t want any smart-ass teasing, any little mind games or any little remark. I want complete silence am I clear?" Miss Parker asked turning her eyes back to the road a head.

"I’ll will promise to keep quite the whole time if we just stop for food. I’m starving." And that was no lie.

"Get use to it," Miss Parker mumbled under her breath. Jarod still heard.

"Look Miss Parker, I know that you have no choice but to take me back to Lucifer’s home, but please just grant me this. Just one nice thing from you and I’ll be happy, and all you will have to do is pull up to where the food is."

Parker stole a quick glance at him. He was almost begging, those puppy dog browns were doing their magic once again.

God he must be hungry to almost beg! Come to think of it, I haven’t eaten since breakfast yesterday.

"Fine!" She gave in.

Jarod let a triumphant smile cover his face.

They were still in Sorrento, the town was fairly big and they had only just started to drive when boy-wonder started to complain.

"I’m not eating that junk you do. If you want to eat, it will be something healthy."

Miss Parker spotted a supermarket and pulled into the car park. Getting out of the car, Miss Parker walked over to Jarod’s side. Using the key to the handcuffs, she undid the cuff fastened onto the handle. Locking the spare cuff to Jarod’s free wrist and tightening both until they cut into his wrists, she ordered him to get out.

After Miss Parker had placed Jarod’s leather jacket over his chained wrists, they started towards the entrance.

"Don’t even try anything Jarod or so help me god..."

"I may want my freedom, but I am not willing to risk getting innocents hurt in the process of acquiring it." The pretender responded darkly.

"Just be sure to keep that in mind if you do get the urge to run."

#######

Jarod had been given the basket to carry in his hands, while Miss Parker had her arm looped through the crook of his arm. They looked like a happy couple to anyone walking passed. Heading straight to the produce department, Miss Parker tried to steer Jarod away from the doughnuts hanging on an impulse rack.

"I said healthy Jarod, the doughnuts are staying!"

Miss Parker grabbed two granny smith apples and a punnet of strawberries, before dragging the man to the bakery section.

Once again, she had to remind Jarod they were eating healthy and to stay away from the cakes, doughnuts and other assorted sweets. Picking up a two pack of bagels and placing them into the basket with the fruits, they continued on their journey.

Arm in arm, the two walked to the back of the store to the fridges for a drink.

"Apple and guava or orange?" Parker asked looking at the juices.

"Chocolate milk?" Jarod asked hopefully.

"Hey, genius, how many times must I say this..." Before she could finish, the pretender did it for her.

"We are eating healthy. But the way I see it, it is healthy."

Raising an eye brow, Miss Parker read from the nutritional table on the back.

"It contains 18.4 grams of fat per 600 ml. Now, tell me again, how that is healthy?" Miss Parker asked genuinely interested in what he would say.

"If you take into the account of how much calcium there is in milk, as well as the sodium and protein, the drink it self would be suitable for breakfast by itself. Then if you combine the milk with the substances of the chocolate..."

Miss Parker gave in.

"Alright, have the damned milk for all I care."

Jarod’s face lit up like he had just won lotto.

Heading back to the checkout, Parker made a quick stop in two of the aisles, to grab a small jar of apricot jam and some plastic plates and knives.

Just as Miss Parker was about to pick up the plastic plates, Jarod stoped her.

"Paper,"

"What?"

"Can you please get the paper plates?" Jarod asked.

"Why?"

"More environmentally friendly." Jarod said with a grin.

"Do I look like I really care about the damned whales?"

"Come on..." Jarod pushed, "Plus, they are cheaper."

Sighing, Miss Parker grabbed the paper plates and dragged Jarod on.

Who in god’s name designed this damn shop! Apparently, not anyone who has meet Jarod!

Miss Parker thought angrily. Across from the drinks were the ice-cream and frozen desserts. Down the aisle with the plastic plates and knives were soft drink and chips, Oh no! New discoveries!, went through her head. Leaving that aisle as fast as possible, she went to collect the jam. Much to her dismay, the jam was down the same aisle as the candy.

Every three seconds, boy-wonder’s face would light up with delight, every five seconds it would fall with disappointment. This went on until Miss Parker had managed to get the jam and leave the aisle almost running.

#######

After paying for their groceries, Miss Parker drove to the closest park to eat. It was such a beautiful day and Miss Parker would become a nun before she ate anything in her car. Jarod didn’t argue with her over this one. What more could a man ask for, eating breakfast at the park with a beautiful women and chocolate milk.

Miss Parker had to find a quite, secluded spot for them to eat. She wouldn’t risk taking the handcuffs off of him, but she couldn’t have anyone seeing Jarod in them either.

The pretender had pointed out an amazing spot. There was an enormous oak tree standing tall, covering the ground with the shade cast by the branches. The rest of the surrounding area was left open, allowing the nearly noon sun to shine down. The grass was soft and slightly moist to touch but that didn’t stop them.

Miss Parker took Jarod’s jacket and laid it down on the grass, sitting down on it with her legs folded to her side. Jarod dropped to the ground, his bum hitting with a soft thump. Not very graceful at all.

Miss Parker unpacked their bag of treats, handing Jarod his half. The hungry man wasted no time eating it. The bagel was gone before he even put any jam on it, then went the apple. Drinking his milk more carefully than he ate his food, Jarod proceeded to eat his strawberries at a slightly slower rate, than the rest of his food.

Miss Parker stared dumbfounded at him, she had never seen someone eat so fast! After spreading the jam onto her bagel, Miss Parker offered it to Jarod. The poor man just stared at her like she just turned into a frog. Surprise and confusion was written all over his face.

"Are you gonna eat it or just stare at me all day?" Parker couldn’t help to let the amusement show.

"Uh-um..."

My god! He’s speechless!

"Well?" Miss Parker asked, trying hard not to burst into a fit of laughter. What was so hard to comprehend that she was giving him her bagel. And they thought he was a genius!

"Jarod...?"

Jarod finally snapped out of his trance, he must have looked like an idiot! But still why on god’s green earth was the ice queen giving him her breakfast?

"Thank you, I think." Jarod slowly reached out awkwardly, his hands still painfully cuffed, to retrieve the offering. Carefully biting into it, he waited for a few minutes before he sallowed. Certain that it wasn’t poisoned in any way, he continued to eat it.

Miss Parker continued to watch the man in amazement. The way he reacted to her offering was hilarious! She could only begin to imagine what had gone through his mind. If she had been him, having the famed ice queen giving the pretender her bagel, Parker was sure she would be shocked and slightly confused too.

#######

Miss Parker had decided to travel via the coast. Granted it was a few hours longer than travelling in land, but she always loved the beach.

It was four in the afternoon, and as unbelievable as it was, Jarod hadn’t uttered a single sound.

Parker shot a look at the silent pretender, to find him with his head hanging out the car. Jarod’s face was tilted upwards towards the sun, hair flowing with the wind. The look on Jarod’s face, along with the smile, blew Parker away! He was in heaven. Never in her life had Miss Parker seen someone so exhilarated because of the wind and sun. Jarod could die now, a happy man, if he wanted to.

Miss Parker wanted to ask Jarod why he was so happy, but found herself just smiling at him instead. She didn’t want to break whatever spell that had fallen upon the pretender.

Jarod had felt himself being scrutinised, sitting up straighter in his seat, he turned to see Miss Parker staring at him. There was curiosity and amazement in her icy blue’s, every couple of seconds, her face would turn towards his.

After a lengthy pause, Jarod asked his question.

"What?"

"What were you doing?" The ice queen asked curiously.

"I don’t follow." Jarod tilted his head to the side, the way he always did when he felt confused.

"Why were you putting your head out the window like a dog? All you needed was the tongue sticking out and the drool and you could have been one."

"I like the wind." Was the plain answer she had received.

"Enough to stick your head out of a moving car?"

"Yes." Again the answer was simple. Almost like Jarod couldn’t understand her need to question it.

"Why?"

"Aren’t you the nosy one today?"

"Why?" Miss Parker snapped back.

"It makes me feel free. The first storm that I experienced when I escaped was breath-taking. I stood in the rain, face looking up to the heavens. The wind was blowing in strong gusts, I was soaking wet, and freezing, but I didn’t care. The wind on my face made me feel truly free. It does every time I feel it."

Why hadn’t she seen it before? Why hadn’t all the people that had fallen in love with Jarod shown her? This man was... incredible! Anyone who could feel so strongly about the wind on your face, or the sunshine, or life, was.

"Doesn’t it make you feel free Miss Parker?" Jarod asked softly.

"No, it doesn’t. I can’t see how it could."

She didn’t want to talk to the man in the seat next to her any more. Reaching out, Miss Parker turned the radio on.

Everybody needs a little loving,

Everybody needs somebody thinking of them.

Everybody needs a little respect,

And whatever it takes, I’m gonna get it.



Miss Parker stole a glance at Jarod, who’s head was once again out the window. He seamed oblivious to the song, she hadn’t heard it before, but it was quite upbeat. The singer was a lone female, and had a powerful voice.

Everybody needs a hand to hold,

Someone to cling to when the nights are getting cold.

I’m no different, I am just the same,

A player in the game.

Absolutely everybody,

Everybody, everybody.

Absolutely everybody,

In the whole wide world.

Absolutely everybody,

Every boy and girl,

Absolutely everybody,

Every body needs a human touch,

I can’t live without it,

It means too much to me.

Everybody needs one true friend,

Some one who’ll be there ‘til the very end
.

"Miss Parker, will you be my friend forever and all eternity?"

And absolutely everybody breathes,

And everybody, everybody bleeds.

We’re no different,

We’re all the same.

Players in the game.


"It’s just another piece of the puzzle, Miss Parker."

Absolutely everybody,

Everybody, everybody.

Absolutely everybody,

In the whole wide world.

Everybody breathes,

And everybody needs.

Absolutely everybody.

Every boy and every girl.

Every women and child.

Every father and son,

I said now everyone.

Yes now everyone. Every body needs a human touch,

Everybody, everybody needs love.

I’m no different, I’m just the same,

A player in the game.


"Can’t you understand that Miss Parker? Can’t you understand that I just want to be loved?"

Miss Parker shot a quick glance back at Jarod. Those unbelievably deep, chocolate browns, were staring right at her. He hadn’t failed to see the messages in the song. Leaning over, Miss Parker angrily turned off the radio.