Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to Tina and Jazzy for the lovely reviews, hope everyone enjoys the chapter...

 


Jarod’s heart rose up in his throat, his pulse quickened, his eyes widened in fear. They were here already! That can’t have been ten minutes.

Jarod stretched his arm out as far as he could to retrieve his jeans, his only protection from utter humiliation. His face wrinkled in concentration, as if by his sheer will, they would materialise in his hand. After what seemed an eternity, Jarod finally got a hold of the jeans by his index and middle finger. Quickly yanking them up to him. Jarod tried frantically to put them on as Miss Parker looked on coldly.

Why was this so hard?

Jarod heard the front door being kicked down, and the footsteps of the numerous sweepers filling the house.

Jarod got the pants over his feet. Lifting his hips awkwardly off of the bed, Jarod tried to pull the material over his hips. The cast, ending at his knuckles, didn’t allow much movement of the fingers which meant getting a firm hold of anything was impossible.

As the bedroom door was thrown open, Jarod shot a glance at Parker.

Parker could have burst into tears right there and then. The look on Jarod’s face was sending waves of doubt throughout her. He was petrified, the utter terror in his eyes and on his face knocked her back. The apology for what he had done to her was clear as day, he was almost begging for her forgiveness. She started to doubt that he really did rape her. This was Jarod after all. But the memories of her cuffed to the bed and telling him no wouldn't leave her mind. Mentally shaking her head, Miss Parker pushed any doubt she had away.

Jarod froze, stopped in mid-motion of pulling his pants on, Miss Parker even saw his chest cease its task of in taking air. Redirecting her gaze from the pretender to who ever walked into the room.

“Congratulation Sis, you finally caught the lab-rat.” Lyles smug voice greeted.

“What do you want Lyle?” Miss Parker asked in a bored tone.

“To supervise the return of our wayward pretender.”

Lyle tilted his head to the side and sniffed the air.

“Booze and sex Miss Parker?” Lyle asked confused. “What did you get up two last night?” Glancing across for the first time towards Jarod, Lyle continued. “And a naked experiment in the bed. Tsk tsk, what did you do?”

Miss Parker didn’t answer verbally, she just shot an accusing look at Jarod, who turned his head away from the stare in shame and disgust.

“Parker, what happened?” Lyle asked, surprising even himself at the caring and concerned tone his voice took.

“Look Lyle, I will discuss it when we are safely back at the Centre and daddy is around. It‘s not something I want to say twice.” Miss Parker said somewhat softly to her younger brother.

“Alright.” Lyle said, this time faking the concern.

What ever happened between his sister and the rat could be exploited, ohh was he excited. It didn't take a genius to see what had gone on last night. Lyle was sure that he could play on it, make the pretender pay dearly. This was going to be fun. He couldn't let Parker know how excited at the prospect he was, so he pretended to still be the concerned brother.

Lyle turned towards one of the sweepers that had filled the room.

“Go get Sam.” Lyle ordered, only getting this twit because of his sister. He would make her happy until Jarod was in his hands. Nodding, the lower level sweeper left.

Jarod gulped down the fear and dread that had formed in his throat. This wasn’t going to be good.

“Stay away from her! If I find out you slept with her again I will personally drag your sorry ass to Raines himself. Am I understood?”


The fact was that he would most likely be going to Raines anyway, so the threat itself was invalid now. But Jarod had remembered the fury and hatred in the bulky man’s eyes, the conviction they held. If Sam couldn’t punish him by sending him to Raines, Jarod was sure he would find some other way.

Sam had entered the room shortly after the original sweeper left.

Jarod noticed Sam sniff the air similar to what Lyle had done. His eyes narrowed in rage at Jarod. There was no way he was getting out of a good bashing and that was just for the sex. Jarod was as good as dead as soon as the sweeper found out that he had raped Parker.

Jarod anxiously looked back between Sam and the cuff holding him to the bed. He needed to get out of here, he wouldn't survive for long if he didn't. Jarod even tried yanking the cuffs, in the hopes that they would somehow come loose off the bed frame.

“Mr Lyle?” Sam said, his gaze never wavering from the naked pretender. His jeans had never made it to their destination and sat mid thigh. This only confirmed to Sam what had happened earlier.

“Make the genius decent, then find a way to restrain him until we get back to the Centre.” Lyle ordered as he glanced towards the cast on his right arm.

“Yes Mr Lyle.” Sam said, allowing his malice towards Jarod show in his voice.

“Come on Parker, lets leave Sam to his job.” Lyle said kindly, taking Parker by her arm and leading her out.

Jarod sat stunned on the bed. Lyle was concerned for her? How could a heartless machine be worried for the well being of his sister? He had caused Parker to accept help from Lyle, what had he done?

As soon as the door shut and the only people left in the room were Jarod, Sam and two sweepers, Sam advanced on the pretender.

“Luke, pull it’s jeans up. We wouldn’t want him scaring the children in the Centre, now would we?” Sam sneered.

One way to get at Jarod was kids. He was exactly like the tech on his boss’s team. He hated to see kids exploited, harmed, trapped. He would have hated the fact that Sam was speaking of the innocent children still locked up in that hell-hole.

“Yes sir.” Luke obeyed the order.

Quickly walking over to the left side of the bed and the practically naked man, he leant over to help Jarod pull the jeans on. Jarod would not go back with out a fight. So when the sweeper got close enough, Jarod threw the best punch he could with his plastered right hand. Luke stumbled back, and looked stunned at Jarod. This was all Sam needed to lay into the genius.

Coming up behind Jarod, Sam grabbed his arm and swung it back, knocking it hard into the head board. There was a satisfying crack and a loud bang that was made when the plaster impacted with the frame. Jarod let out a holler of pain.

Wrapping his hand around the pretender’s throat, never letting Jarod’s arm go, Sam shoved him against the headboard. Jarod gasped for air but was unable to get any.

Leaning in, Sam spoke softly, “You are going to let Luke dress you. I am going to restrain you correctly, then we are heading back home. I don’t want any trouble from you. Don’t give me yet another reason to hurt you.”

Keeping his hand wrapped around wonder-boy’s throat, Sam nodded to Luke to come and dress Jarod. Jarod allowed the sweeper to pull his jeans on and to do up the three button fly. Jarod was acutely aware of the fingers brushing against his skin as he was covered up. Jarod pushed the fear out of his mind, nothing would happen to him.

#######

Jarod’s arms were pulled roughly behind his back. Sam fastened some cable wire to his good left wrist and brought it up to be fastened to his right arm, just above the cast. The plastic wire was tightened to the point that Jarod could feel his right arm below the start of the cast growing numb. His left wrist felt like it would snap in two if he moved it the wrong way. Snapping shackles around his ankles, Jarod was shoved forcefully out of the bedroom. The two lower sweepers followed with his duffel bag and DSA case.

When the direct sunlight hit Jarod’s eyes, it was almost like daggers piercing his eyeballs, causing him to squeeze them shut, trying to keep his headache to a minimum. Every thing has a consequence. Jarod didn’t see the crack in the foot path heading towards the road. His foot caught and Jarod went down with a loud thud. For once, he wished the sweepers had been gripping his arms. He wouldn't have fallen then and caused pain to zap through his body.

Miss Parker watched from the car as Jarod shut his eyes in an attempt to stop the sun blinding him. Only for him not to see the visible crack in the concrete and him fall face first. She smiled coldly at the pretender. He deserved all he got, after he raped her.

Sam had to pull the pretender up from off the hard ground. His nose had started to bleed and his check had been grazed. Poor guy was having one hell of a bad day.

#######

The ride back to the Centre had been made in uncomfortable silence. Jarod was sitting in between Lyle and Parker. His arm’s still fastened uncomfortably behind him, the seat belt pulled across his body.

Every couple of minutes, Jarod would feel one of them stare at him callously. Jarod ignored the looks as he stared unblinkingly out the front windscreen.

Slowly, the Centre started to come into view, the imposing building loomed just in front of them. Jarod shifted in his seat, the building created icicles of fear in his belly. The frightened man visibly paled at the site of the building and looked as if he would throw up any second. The closer the car came to the enormous structure, the more the man squashed in between the two people fidgeted.

“Sit still wonder-boy.” Lyle ordered as Jarod swallowed the rising trepidation.

It wasn’t long before they pulled up at the Centre.

#######

Jarod was violently thrown to the hard floor after the plastic wire was cut from him, effectively releasing him from the restraints. Sam had gotten out the fire hose and turned it on, aiming it at the pretender. The high- pressured, ice-cold water pelted down on Jarod’s body. The force of it made it impossible for Jarod to stand up off the ground, to move away from the back wall, and escape the assault.

After five minutes, Sam gratefully turned the water off. Jarod laid in the corner that he had backed himself into and panted heavily. Jarod was flooded with memories of the last time he was held captive inside the Centre’s walls.

“Get to your feet pretender.” Jarod was ordered.

Jarod laid on the ground defiantly, trying to control the violent shaking, refusing to do as he was told. He would not give them any satisfaction.

“I said get to your feet!” Sam snarled at the stubborn man.

When it was apparent that Jarod wasn’t going to do it, Sam sent two of the four sweepers in to get him up.

The two bulky, mindless, heartless men gripped his biceps painfully and yanked him up from the wet ground.

Sam threateningly stalked towards the dripping wet man. Standing toe to toe, his mouth at Jarod’s ear, the sweeper warned,

“You will do as your told. Otherwise there will be repercussions. Am I understood rat?”

Jarod would not budge.

The sense of relaxation Sam felt after he had beaten Jarod was quite astounding. Jarod laid on the ground curled into a tight ball breathing heavily, his eyes squeezed shut. Sam had used all the talents that he could, belting Jarod senseless with minimum marks. He didn’t particular want the Tower to know what he had done with out authorisation.

“Bring him.”

#######

Jarod was dragged to an elevator and shoved in. The four sweepers and Sam filled in to the car after him, blocking any attempt at escape. Jarod watched as the number counted up.

7... 6... 5 ... 4... 3... 2... 1...

The lobby? Jarod thought confused. Why were they risking going to ground level?

Jarod was pulled out of his thoughts and the elevator roughly. The captive was lead through the lobby and ground floor, two sweepers holding on strongly to his arms. Everyone stopped and stared at the half naked, wet, restrained man.

Jarod hung his head low. This was humiliating. They were practically showing off the catch of the day.

Come one, come all! See the world’s greatest pretender dripping wet, beaten up, restrained. Chance of a life-time! Bring the kids and let them gawk at the genius!

“What is the meaning of this?” A softly accented voice spoke, stopping their journey.

Jarod’s head shot up at the voice. Sydney!

“Step out of the way sir, we are expected in a meeting.” Sam said trying to move this along.

“Not until I know what is happening. When was Jarod brought in?”

“Miss Parker will debrief you after the meeting sir.”

“Sydney! I didn’t mean it!” Jarod cried.

With out another word, they pushed past Sydney and carried on. Jarod turned the best he could to look back at Sydney.

“I didn’t mean it Sydney, please believe me!”

Jarod was propelled forward, he had no choice but to go with the sweepers. Jarod kept his eyes trained on the floor while they continued to walk through the various corridors. He had heard a few gasp of shock, a few “Look at it.”, a few “Poor guy, must be one that lives here.”

When they came to a sudden stop, Jarod looked up.

The tower elevator! What are we doing here!

The doors opened with a ‘ping’, Jarod was forced in, the sweepers having difficulty with the fighting man. As they rode up, Jarod started to panic.

No... no... no... This isn’t good. I don’t want to go to the Tower, just take me to some inhuman cell on SL 27!

#######

“Jarod, what were you doing in there again? I gave you strict orders not to go into the record room and you bluntly disobeyed me!” Sydney said with a hint of anger in his voice.

“But Sydney, I want to know who I am! You won’t tell me, so I went looking for my answers inside the Centre!” Jarod growled back rebelliously.

“Jarod, I warned you that you would be in a great deal of trouble if you went in there again.” Sydney said then turned to the two sweepers with a firm grip on the pretender’s arms. “Take him to the Tower, don’t allow him to go into the front lobby.”

“Yes sir.”

Jarod’s stomach dropped at the sound of the Tower. His throat tightened with fear, his mouth dried. Jarod put up a good struggle but his younger frame was still a long way away from the bulkiness the sweepers bodies were.

“No Sydney! Please! I won’t do it again! I promise.” Jarod begged as the sweepers pulled him away. “Sydney!!”

The sweepers followed their orders. They dragged a kicking and screaming Jarod to the Tower elevator steering clear of the front lobby and windows.

When the elevator reached the top, the doors automatically opened. The two older men pulled an unwilling pretender to the door at the end of the hallway. Opening it up, they shoved the terrified young man in.

“On your knees 302!” the sweeper ordered, and when Jarod didn’t do it, they kicked the back of his knees. His legs buckled and Jarod fell to the ground with a heavy thud. “Stay.”

Jarod meekly looked around. The room was painted all white, the ground was hard, cold, white tiles. The only piece of furniture in the room was an antique business oak desk and high back leather chair.

Sitting behind the impressive desk was a man around Sydney’s age. Picking up some files in front of him, the man spoke.

“Project 302, Pretender programme.” Looking at Jarod, he commanded, “302, state your name.”

After swallowing a few times to try and generate some saliva, Jarod spoke.

“I-It’s J-Jarod s-sir.” Jarod stuttered nervously.

“As I understand, you broke a direct order to stay out of the record room. You were also caught in there on two other occasions. Am I correct?” The man asked in a deep, strong voice.

“Y-Yes s-sir.”

“I see then. Are you aware of the punishment for breaking a direct order?”

“No s-sir. I have n-never gone against an order b-before.” Jarod said, hoping to lessen his punishment because it was his first time.

“I understand. Take him to isolation for a week. No food, no light, one litre of water for the week, no visitors. After his isolation, have him beaten by Maxwell, no weapons are to be used. Am I understood?”

“Yes Mr Parker.” The sweepers said loyally.

“Get to your feet 302!”

They had to haul a stunned Jarod from the ground. All he did was break into the record room. He had never disobeyed anyone before. They couldn’t do this to him for something so small as what he had done! And by Mr Parker! Miss Parker’s father! How could they do this!


#######

The jolt that was made when the elevator came to a stop brought Jarod out of his memory. They were in the Tower. If isolation and a beating was the punishment for breaking a direct order and entering the record room, Jarod could only imagine what would happen to him this time.

The sweepers hauled the now trembling man out of the car and pulled the struggling pretender down the hallway. Jarod saw the door at the end of the hallway and started to fight in earnest now. It made little difference, the sweepers were bigger, stronger and it was 5-1, odds on their side. It didn’t stop Jarod from trying but. He managed to kick one of the sweepers that was slightly in front of him in the legs, bringing him down. Jarod growled deeply from the back of his throat in frustration as the remaining three sweepers and Sam pounced on him. It took less then two minutes to get the pretender under their control again.

They made their way to the closed door, Sam stopped them and opened the door slowly. Jarod was shoved in roughly as the four sweepers and Sam followed.

Once Jarod had stabilised his footing, he cautiously looked around. After 20 years, nothing had changed. The walls were still blindingly white, the floor was still cold, hard, white tiles. There was still the antique desk and the high back leather chair.

In it sat Mr Parker, just like before. Jarod felt a hand push him down to the ground aggressively.

“On your knees 302!” Sam ordered.

Jarod had no other choice but to comply. Jarod looked up from his spot on the ground at Miss Parker and Mr Lyle, who were standing on one side of the room, both staring down at him coldly. Standing on the opposite side of the room, Mr Raines looked on with amusement.

Mr Parker cleared his voice, gaining everyone’s attention. After shifting through some papers, he spoke.

“Project 302, Pretender Programme.” Mr Parker started just like he had so many years ago. “302, state your name.”

Jarod almost laughed. Did they really expect him to play these games?

“If you haven’t learnt my name after 30 odd years, what hope do you have of me telling you now?” Jarod sneered sarcastically.

“I would advise you to state your name for the record. I am not in the mood to play your silly games.” Mr Parker growled.

“Well, it’s about time I get to play some sort of game!” Jarod refused to let them win.

That refusal earned Jarod a kick to his ribs. Gasping in pain from the blow Sam delivered, Jarod almost fell to the ground. Leaning over in pain, holding his ribs, Jarod struggled to control his raspy breathing. Straightening up, he removed as much of the pain evident in his eyes and on his face as he could. He would not let them see his pain. At that point, Sydney burst into the room. Seeing Jarod holding his ribs, gasping, he walked up to the oak desk.

“Mr Parker, what is going on? Why is Jarod in the Tower? When was he caught? And why wasn’t I informed?” Sydney asked, showing his displeasure at being left out.

“Everything will be explained as soon as project 302 states his name.”

Sydney glanced at Jarod, realising that he wasn’t complying.

“You know his name Mr Parker. It’s Jarod. I think we are quite aware of his name.” Sydney said, his anger building. “Now what is going on?”

Turning to Miss Parker, Mr Parker asked her to explain what had happened last night, and how Jarod was caught.

“Daddy, I would really rather this be a bit more personal.” Parker said uncomfortably.

“Non-sense angel, you’re a Parker, you are strong, you are not shy.”

“Alright daddy. I don’t actually remember much of last night, besides drinking - a lot.” Miss Parker admitted, aware of the look her father was sending her. Ignoring it, she went on, desperate to get it out in one shot. “I woke up in the morning in Jarod’s bed. He had raped me. I was hand cuffed to the bed, telling him no, but apparently, it didn’t phase him much.” Miss Parker said coldly, glancing at Jarod. “I let my defences down, I let him in. I let him do this, I let him rape me! I wasn’t strong enough to stop it, I wasn’t cold enough to push him away! I’m sorry daddy! I’m sorry I wasn’t a better Parker!” Miss Parker softly. She was close to tears, how weak her father must think she was. And to let Jarod rape her, to have let her defences down that far. She was far from a Parker right now.

“He did what?” Sydney asked unbelievingly.

“Sydney, your rat raped me!” She said harshly, trying to bring her guard back up

“Miss Parker, are you sure?” Sydney asked, Jarod would never rape her.

“Why don’t you ask him for yourself?” she whispered.

All eyes were on the weeping pretender.

“Jarod...?” Sydney asked softly.

“I’m so sorry Sydney! I didn’t mean it! I’m sure I didn’t! I don’t know what happened. I don’t know what made me cuff her and... and...” Jarod couldn’t finish it.

“How could you Jarod! You were so distraught at the fact that you thought you had killed her! And then you go and rape her! Jarod, I never would have thought you to be so cruel.” Sydney finished disappointingly. Turning his back on Jarod, he slowly left the room.

“Sydney!! Please wait! Please Sydney!” Jarod yelled in a desperate attempt to get Sydney to listen.

When Sydney walked through the doors, Jarod pushed himself up to his feet and made an attempt at going after him. As soon as Jarod was on his feet and had turned around to face the door, two sweepers grabbed him.

“Let me go you bastards! Sydney!” Jarod shouted. “Let me go!” Jarod hissed in anger and frustration, fighting to get loose.

The sweepers threw him back, hard. Jarod landed with a loud thud.

“On your knees.”

And when Jarod failed to obey, they forced him off his back and onto his knees. Pressing down painfully on his shoulders, one of the sweepers holding him barked,

“Stay.”

Jarod looked up at Mr Parker. The fury that was in his normally cold eyes could melt ice. He now had two reasons to hate the younger man. He had caused the crash that had killed Miss Parker and he had raped his only daughter.

“This is a ... disappointment Miss Parker. You let Jarod ... get too close.”

Snapping her head up to look at Raines, Miss Parker’s eyes glazed over with fury. The infamous blue fire could be seen in her ice blue eyes. Stalking dangerously across the room, ignoring Jarod’s glare, she stood in front of Raines.

“I’m a disappointment? How dare you say that to me!” Parker hissed with all the venom she could muster.

Before Raines could reply, there was a loud crash, and moaning.

Looking over in the direction, they saw Sam on top of Jarod belting into him viciously. Jarod didn’t stand a chance against the massive sweeper. Sam’s fist repeatedly connected with Jarod’s face. No one moved to help the defenceless pretender, they just stood still watching.

After a few more moments, Mr Parker ordered Sam off of him.

“Get to your knees Jarod.” The chairman told Jarod, his voice making it clear that it wouldn’t be wise to disobey him. Jarod struggled, but managed to do as he was told.

“Sam, what was the meaning of this distraction?” The man asked.

“He was looking at Miss Parker’s legs. He hasn’t learnt his lesson!” Tthe hatred in his voice seeped out, despite the sweepers efforts.

As if they were a swarm of bee’s all following each other, all eyes went to Miss Parker’s legs. She had the traditional short skirt on, ending mid thigh.

“What do you think your doing looking at me rat?” Miss Parker hissed, Jarod could see the slight hint of fear in her eyes and could hear the worry in her voice.

“Miss Parker, it’s not what it looks like! I wasn’t looking at you!” Jarod tried frantically to explain, no matter what he said, he would be in the shit for it. “It’s just that your legs... they were... weren’t they...” Jarod shook his head. He was confused like never before.

He hadn’t really paid attention before. First he was drunk, then he was busy violating her. Afterwards he was so happy to see her, then frightened for his life, it had never clicked. She had broken her leg badly in the crash, he was sure of it, he had seen it... hadn’t he?

Could he have SIMed her injuries? Could the trauma of the crash, his injures, his fear and his worry over her caused him to SIM the injuries? Could his brain have made him believe things were actually worse than they really were? If there was no way he could move her to help, and that help was on its way, and he knew she would be safe, it would have justified him running. If she wasn’t all that badly hurt, he could have gotten her out of the car and helped her better, but that would have resulted in him being caught.

“Your leg wasn’t broken was it?” Jarod asked softly.

“What the hell are you on about Franken-boy?” Miss Parker asked coldly.

He SIMed it! He SIMed her injures so he would feel better when he left her there alone, hurt and scared. How could he? Jarod lowered his head in disgust.

When it was clear the conversation was over, and Jarod wouldn’t try to anything else, Mr Parker motioned to one of the two sweepers not holding Jarod, to go get something for him.

All was silent for the few minutes. Lyle was trying to comfort his sister, a hand laid upon her shoulder. Raines stood with an evil glint in his eyes. Sam was paying close attention to the pretender, waiting for a wrong move. Mr Parker was glaring daggers at Jarod.

The only door opened again, the sweeper walked in, followed by a women.

The mysterious woman walked over to the desk Mr Parker was sitting behind.

“I would like to introduce everyone to Mercy,” Looking over at Jarod, “The pretender’s new handler.”