Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the wait, have been real busy with a lot of things. Here is next chap, hope you all enjoy!
“It will," Lyle reassured him. “What is the code to the genius boy's door?"

“No code, just your palm and a voice print, which we will program for you now.” He said, leading him into the heart of their command and control centre.

Lyle followed him, taking everything. “I think I rather our place, at least it isn’t so bright." The brightness of the lights was starting to hurt his eyes. Lyle wondered, if the control centre was on this level, that they must be idiots. If Jarod wasn’t spending all his time in the room, he could easily get into the control centre and get out.

"A well lit environment is much healthier, allows us to monitor more efficiently as well. After you are settled, I will get you to bring Jarod down to start. We need to move quickly Mr Lyle.” He could see he didn't approve and thought that this was an incredible security risk. He would see in time though. If they restricted Jarod's access to things, then they limited his abilities to help them. Unless he secured a weapon, took 50 agents hostage and somehow managed to breach their inner security, Byrnes was confident Mr Lyle's pretender was going nowhere, no matter how resourceful he was. He also believed that Jarod was more interested in helping them and stopping this attack, at least for now, than escaping. No doubt the escape would be thought about later, and the time in between would be used for reconnaissance. Knowing even that, Byrnes was supremely confident that Jarod would not be successful in any escape attempt.

Lyle followed him and frowned, “You have your control centre on the same level as Jarod?"

“Everything is on this level Mr Lyle, including our quarters. Each compartment can be sealed and completely locked down if necessary. Every work station is secured to the person it belongs to and as yet, we have not had a single security breach. We could not function if we don’t centralise everything, it would be far too inefficient." Of course, usually someone that was considered as high a security risk as Jarod was not permitted anywhere near this place.

Lyle entered the control centre after the agent had and looked around at all the computers and technology and whistled softly. Broots would wet his pants if he came here to play with the computers.

“I know you think this is too vulnerable, but I can assure you Mr Lyle that that is not the case at all. Jarod will be supervised at all times when he is not in his room and nothing will interfere with his work. If he proves as valuable as I suspect he will, then every allowance will be made for him. You are here only as an observer and I will not let your personal issues with him interfere with the work here. Is that understood?"

Lyle ignored his question completely. “Set me up so I can enter his room." Lyle would not let this arse stop him doing what he wanted with the genius. After all, the man did belong to the Centre, to him.

"Of course, come this way please.” He led him to their security section and entered the information into the database. "Please place your palm on the scanner and say your name in your normal tone of voice.” He said. “It will match your voice pattern to see if you might be under undue pressure or duress.” He explained carefully. He wanted Lyle to understand how sophisticated their security was, not only would it stop him whining about Jarod escaping, it might also prevent him from doing anything foolish.

Lyle didn't know much about computers or technology, but he knew that that was a very good piece of security. "Mr Lyle.” He said into the microphone in his normal smooth voice.

Byrnes keyed in a sequence and nodded. "Again.” He said, waiting to see if the panel was green.

"Mr Lyle," Lyle repeated calmly and smoothly.

“Excellent," Byrnes said as the board read green. “Would you like a demonstration of its effectiveness?"

"Dazzle me with your little electronics." Lyle nodded.

In a very swift move, Byrnes had one arm twisted behind his back far enough to put real pressure on if he moved, but not enough to actually hurt him. He grabbed his wrist and forced his palm onto the reader. “Say your name." He ordered him without moving or lessening the pressure on his arm.

Lyle grimaced, “What the hell are you doing? Get your hands off me." Lyle gasped at the speed of the attack. He had been so unprepared for the attack, not even seeing it coming he didn’t even have a chance to defend himself.

“Say your name Mr Lyle." Byrnes said calmly, holding his palm on the plate. “Say it now."

"Mr Lyle," Lyle grimaced a little.

An alarm sounded and a door slammed shut with frightening speed, sealing them both in. He let go of him completely and stepped back, "My apologies Mr Lyle, but I thought that might be the best way to demonstrate our voice recognition security system."

Lyle rubbed his arm a little, growling at him almost. "Don’t ever lay your hands on me again," Lyle warned before looking at the little room they were in and went to tug on the door. “It’s sealed tight."

“It is indeed. The computer read the stress in your voice and took appropriate measures. It is very difficult for anybody to remain completely calm in a tense or frightening situation, we have found this quite effective thus far. Don’t worry, someone will come rescue us soon. The doors cannot be opened from within a locked down area.” He explained to him, having enjoyed that a little more than he should have. Lyle was a smug bastard and he needed to be slammed back firmly in his place. Byrnes was running things now and the last thing he needed was an ego conflict with this buffoon.

"They better come soon," Lyle really didn't like being locked in small rooms. He wasn’t scared like the rat was of the hood, just disliked it. “When is genius boy's first work? And is it a simulation?"

"As soon as he is eaten we will give him a quick orientation. I am not entirely sure how to proceed, so I am leaving that primarily up to him. Once he has been briefed I want to see what he says, how he thinks we should proceed. Ah, there you go.” He smiled as an agent let them out. “I do hope that little demonstration has put your security issues at ease somewhat."

“Somewhat," Lyle nodded and left, straightening his suit. “His first assignment, is it a simulation?"

"There is no framework for this Mr Lyle. There is a mountain of information he needs to look at and then if it is a simulation that we need, then I guess yes. I am willing to go with whatever works in this case."

"After we show him around, bring the paper work down to the lab you will have him working in and I will organise for him to get on it right away." Lyle wasn’t sure how to do this either. He had never really actually supervised him at work, but was sure it couldn’t be hard. Just tell the genius when and what to do.

"Very good," Byrnes said as he led him out. "All of your needs will be attended to, and if you need anything, just ask and we will do the best we can to accommodate you."

“What food do you plan on serving him?" Lyle asked, hoping not real food.

“Whatever he likes, we have a full catering service available, orders are taken usually each day and we can prepare just about anything, within reason of course."

“He is to have the optimal nutrition supplement we feed him. It is the best for him, gives him every single vitamin, mineral and protein he needs for a strong healthy mind. Which in turn, benefits his work and gives him better and longer concentration. Which is precisely what you need right now."

“If you give me the details I am sure that can be arranged." Byrnes said sceptically. "Mr Lyle, we need him at his very best, do you think denying him something palatable is going to help that situation?” He wasn’t exactly sure what Lyle was describing, but it sure didn’t sound very nice.

“Not going to help his mood, but this is specifically designed for Jarod's mind and body, what he needs. We are not asking much in return for loaning the rat out, all we want is the correct security, him returned to us at the end of the week, and that he is fed according to what our nutritionist says he needs. It does help him work a lot better, and you want him working at his best, now don't you special agent?" Lyle asked smoothly.

“Yes we do," Byrnes conceded with a nod, giving him this for now.

“Good." Lyle smiled charmingly at him. “I don't want this experience to be too different from back home. He needs to be able to slip in easily and start his work again."

“I am sure we will do the best we can." Byrnes said, but knew he was going to have to keep an eye on him. They couldn't afford Jarod to be harmed, not while this crisis was hanging over their heads.

“Give me your phone, I will call the Centre and get the recipe for you. I do not appreciate my phone being taken."

“I am sorry about that, but security demands it. We cannot get outside lines here, you will have to go to the communications area and they will organise it for you."

Lyle growled a little. "Fine, have one of your men call the Centre," Lyle ordered, relaying the number. "That is the direct line to the kitchen. They need to ask for the recipe for project 74’s meal. Direct orders of Mr Lyle."

“I will see that it is done.” He said, feeling rather badly for Jarod.

“Good. I do not want him fed anything else but that unless I give the order to. After all, he is still our project."

"Of course Mr Lyle," Byrnes agreed, trying to appease him. It seemed every time this man opened his mouth, Byrnes liked him less and less. He was petty and cruel and seemed very insecure. Anybody who needed to exert that much control had some personal issues.

Getting to Jarod's room, he looked in through the glass, “Is it activated for my 'code' yet?"

“Yes, it should be by now. If he tries to coerce you, the room will be placed in lockdown, your ID no longer functioning. An alarm will be tripped and guards dispatched immediately. Your room is here, adjoining Jarod's, with access to his room as well.” He showed Lyle into the room, a pleasantly furnished area with all amenities.

Lyle looked around his room once he walked in, nodding, “Not too bad I guess." It looked like most other hotel rooms he had stayed in. Lyle saw the adjoining door and walked over to it. "Mr Lyle,” He said smoothly, his hand on the scanner and was satisfied when it opened and Lyle walked into Jarod's room, his eyes taking in the things that had to go.

Jarod was taking a long hot shower, washing the sweat of fear from him. He was pleased to find some comfortable clothing provided for him, nothing fancy, but a nice change from his Centre uniform. Whatever was going to happen here, it was a welcome respite from his cell and the visits from Lyle at the Centre.

Hearing the shower, Lyle looked at the agent, “He should have had a separate bathroom." Lyle said in disapproval and moved to the door, walking in and pulling the shower curtain back, “Get out." He ordered Jarod, eyeing his now thin body up and down. Now he wasn’t running all the time for his ‘life’, he had nothing to keep him fit and he wasn’t getting any sugar or fatty food either now.

“It makes things easier, no escorting problems." Byrnes said, wondering why Lyle seemed to hate him so much. This was so unnecessary and he knew that there would be trouble soon.

Jarod looked at him in surprise and calmly turned the water off, reaching for a towel. He had been just about finished anyway.

Lyle held the towel away from Jarod for a moment as the man stepped out. Looking him up and down. “I do hope you don't take advantage of having a bathroom in your cell," Lyle smiled smoothly at him.

Jarod just looked at him and then the towel. “Well, that would depend.” His ‘cell’ though was much nicer than his usual accommodations. It really was a shame that Lyle had to be here.

"Don’t be a smart arse." Lyle snapped. “It’s time to get working." Lyle ordered, throwing the towel onto the floor away from him.

“I have lunch being sent down first, then we can get to it, in say,” He looked at his watch. "An hour?"

"Do not send it until you have what I asked for him." Lyle told him, not wanting Jarod to have anything other then the green slop.

"That won't be arranged until tomorrow I am afraid." Byrnes apologised with a tight smile.

Lyle looked at Jarod as he picked the towel up, Lyle pulled the agent out. "Then I want you to get as many vegetables as you can and just blend them."

“I am sorry Mr Lyle, the meals are already ordered. We will see to your needs for tomorrow."

"And out of all these people, one can't just blend some vegies instead of the meal he is going to get?" Lyle asked in pure annoyance.

Jarod watched Lyle sourly as he dried himself and got dressed into the soft track pants and sweatshirt, listening to Lyle and was glad that Byrnes so far seemed to dislike him.

“We have our procedures Mr Lyle, I am sorry." Byrnes apologised, his initial dislike for this man hardening into a solid animosity now.

Growling softly. "Tomorrow morning and onwards, I want our meals in place. I will not tolerate this."

"Of course Mr Lyle." Byrnes smiled at him, although there was no warmth in that smile. Byrnes didn't give a damn what Jarod ate or where he showered, as long as he was in the right frame of mind for working. That was all that mattered to him. And he would have thought a few considerations and luxuries was the very least they could give him, considering the circumstances. Lyle seemed overly obsessed with controlling him which was probably why they had such little success in getting him to cooperate.

“Good, now cuff him so we can go." Lyle ordered, not liking this at all. He didn't like having total control over the pretender.

“What?" Byrnes asked in complete surprise, taken aback by the demand.

"Cuff him so we can get this on the road. You said he needs to be shown around then start to get to work."

"After lunch,” He repeated for the third time. "And there is no need for restraints in here Mr Lyle. It is completely secure.” He was not going to make him suffer the indignity of being restrained in front of people he then had to work with. The truth was that barely anybody here knew the truth about who Jarod was or what this ‘arrangement’ was. He would be introduced as a special consultant and any security measures his staff witnessed would appear as if they were in place only because Jarod was not a member of the task force. He had made sure the office was practically empty when they had brought Jarod in to avoid the questions that would naturally arise.

“I do not like this at all." Lyle voiced his disapproval. “Now if you leave us, I will help Jarod settle in." They were allowing these Feds use of Jarod, the very least they could do is secure him correctly.

"Very well, your meals should arrive shortly.” He gave Lyle a look that told him clearly he better allow Jarod to eat.

Lyle just looked at him patiently, wanting time alone with the rat to make sure he fully understood the situation.

Byrnes walked out, letting the door close softly. It was going to be a constant battle with Lyle and if he had to he would lock him in his room if he interfered too much with Jarod's ability to work. This was not a week away at camp to satisfy his personal depravities.

When he was out, Lyle turned on Jarod. “Sit down now." Lyle barked, his voice serious.

Jarod sighed and moved over to the bed and sat down as instructed, waiting for the lecture. There was no point in fighting him right now, he didn’t have the energy or the inclination. He needed time to take in his new surroundings, find any weaknesses, see what he was up against and he couldn’t do that with the psychopath leaning over him.

Moving to stand over him, Lyle looked down on the pretender. “Your lunch and dinner will be different today, after that, it's back to normal food. You will do whatever work they tell you to do, and I expect at least 12 hours a day of work, if not more."

Jarod just nodded, not bothering to argue. He was speaking to him as if he were a retarded child, and he suspected that if Lyle didn't watch himself, any authority he had might soon be removed. This Byrnes seemed to be professional, and although he was quite ready to use Jarod as much as he could, he didn't seem to be deliberately cruel. He didn’t doubt his resolve though, he seemed like a man who was used to getting what he wanted and would go to any lengths to get it.

“If they need you to work longer, you will. If they ask you to do something you do not want to do, you will do. If you try anything what so ever, you will pay."

“Yes Mr Lyle." Jarod answered dutifully. This seemed to be on the up and up and if it was, he would have no hesitation about throwing himself into the work. If he could make a real difference here, then he was happy to help them. The fact that Byrnes didn’t seem to like Lyle at all just made Jarod like him even more. He seemed like a decent man, a hard worker, just trying to get the job finished.

Looking Jarod over, Lyle turned and walked to the door adjoining their rooms and scanned his hand, smoothly saying his name before walking into his own room to look around some more.

When he was gone, Jarod investigated the two doors. There were no handles, big surprise there, and only a flat panel which looked like he would be unable to pry open, embedded into the wall. He assumed it worked on both a palm print and voice print which would be difficult to circumnavigate. Any idea he had about escaping from here would be foolish. He was yet to see anywhere but the inside of this room, he knew though that it would be the same out there as well. Even if he could get outside his room, it would be of little use to him anyway. Any hope of an easy escape was diminishing.

Jarod woke early, his mind whirling with all the information he had assimilated yesterday and he believed the threat to be very real and that it was vitally important that they find out the details so that they could prevent another tragedy. It was not going to be easy though, with so much information and so many variables to account for. Not to mention that fact that Lyle was constantly hovering at his side and being a general nuisance.

Lyle was up early, as every other morning, and at 6 am by his watch, Lyle walked into Jarod's room and saw him up. "Let’s go rat."

“I'm coming," Jarod grumbled as he got up. He wanted a shower but he knew Lyle was likely to say no.

"Mind your manners Pretender." Lyle warned with a relaxed smile, hoping Jarod gave him a reason to have a go at him.

Jarod just looked at him and yawned, stretching himself as he made his way to the bathroom. Lyle seemed to delight in petty torments, and Jarod did his level best to annoy him without appearing to annoy him.

“Now!" Lyle ordered him, “You have had plenty of time to shower. It’s too late now. Let’s go. I am not telling you again." Jarod just seemed to get more disobedient every second he was in here and Lyle was not liking it at all.

“I need to use the bathroom." Jarod said, still moving towards it.

Lyle moved over to him and grabbed his arm, “I said now." Lyle said in a deep authoritative voice.

"Lyle, I have to go, unless you want me pissing on you right here." Jarod told him, in no mood for this right now. He was exhausted and his temper was short.

Lyle's eyes went dark as Jarod said that and back handed him viciously, sending him into the door jam. He hit him hard enough to split his lip and bruise his face, but not enough to stop Jarod from being able to work.

Grunting as he was hit, and then slammed into the door, Jarod took a deep breath and forced himself to stay calm, not fight back, not yet. He would see if he could ingratiate himself with these people and get Lyle off his back. He didn't know where he stood with them yet though. Wiping the blood from his face, he turned to look at Lyle. “Now can I use the bathroom?"

“If you say pretty please." Lyle said with a smooth and calm smile, flexing the hand he had hit Jarod with.

Jarod shook his head and made his way in anyway.

Lyle followed him in and stood right next to the toilet. “Where are your manners Jarod?"

"Back on SL 24 I think." Jarod muttered as he relieved himself.

Lyle scoffed, “I don't think you even brought them back home with you after you little 'save the world' campaign."

“Hmmm," Jarod grunted through his newly split lip, so tempted to just take him down right now. Instead he moved to the sink and washed his hands and face, brushing his teeth quickly.

“Get your arse moving pretender. We do not have all day. You should have done all of this earlier. Now get out."

Jarod sighed and did as he was told without any further comment or resistance, wondering when Lyle would ever tire of this game.

Grabbing his arm painfully tight over the bruise he had there already from all the other sweepers grabbing him, one that never seemed to disappear, Lyle scanned his hand and said his name. When the door was opened, Lyle shoved him out into the waiting arms of the guards. Even though they didn't touch Jarod, other then to steady him, they did stand closely to him as they escorted Jarod down to his 'SIM lab'.

Jarod walked silently between them, actually glad for their presence, knowing that they weren’t going to touch him unless he did something threatening. The people he was working with seemed quite nice and it was refreshing to be in a group situation once again. It also meant that while they were there, he even enjoyed some measure of protection from their presence.

Getting to the lab, seeing no one there yet, Lyle waited until Jarod was in and ordered the men to stand outside and that he wanted his and Jarod's breakfast sent here. After they nodded, Lyle shut the door and turned to look at the boxes upon boxes of files. “Get to it."

Jarod sat himself down and picked up where he had left off last night. It was tedious work, but methodical, and it appealed to his mind. All the tiny details, the hints, the what ifs. All of them made a big picture and it was his job to do that jigsaw puzzle.

Lyle went to the shelf and picked up a red note book and pen and dropped it on top of the files Jarod was reading. “You better not be screwing this up." The very least he, or the Centre, needed was Jarod making a mess of this and embarrassing them, losing them money as well.

“I’m not, I know what is at stake here Lyle." Jarod whispered. He wondered if Lyle did though, if he cared at all. One thing that he knew for certain was that he was far more invested in resolving this than Lyle ever would be.

“It’s Mr Lyle rat," Lyle reminded him calmly.

"Mr Lyle." Jarod said without much conviction.

Coming to stand beside the man, seeing him trying to concentrate on his work, Lyle ran his gloved hand over the cut lip and the bruises already forming, caressing his face.

“I am trying to work Mr Lyle, you are not helping matters.” He said, pulling his head away from him.

Gripping his jaw tightly, holding his face still. “You should know by now not to pull away from me Jarod. It has bad consequences."

Jarod sighed heavily and looked up at him, it would be so easy to just knock him out. Easy and very tempting. “I am trying to work."

Digging his fingers into the new bruises, “It would do you well to start acting like the project you are and give up this fantasy of yours that you are your own person and can do what you like."

“I am trying, you are making it very difficult though. Do you not want me to work?” He posed the question.

Turning as the door opened and the food was brought in, Lyle shoved Jarod away and straightened up. "Breakfast is served." When the trays were put down over Jarod's work, Lyle lifted one of the lids and smelt deeply of the delicious bacon and eggs. Pulling his tray closer to him, Lyle sat down on the side of the table next to Jarod, getting comfortable in seats. “Eat your's up genius, you need all you can get." They had made him the green slop now, every meal from here on in would be the green slop. At least these Feds were doing something right.

Jarod looked at his food and then Lyle's and sighed softly before starting to eat it. He knew full well Lyle was eating in front of him to taunt him, but said nothing. He was going to have to do much better than waving that in his face to get to him. Sometimes Lyle could be such a child.

Lyle made a show of eating his breakfast, moaning loudly, “You know, I think their cooks are really quite good at the job."