Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Wanring, naked Jarod is in this, only for a few lines and there is no description of his nakedness, so really doesnt need a warning. Better to be safe then sorry though.
"Fine, we can consult with him if you like." Byrnes agreed as he followed her. “I would have thought that Mr Lyle would have been the obvious choice for next stop."

"Mr Lyle," Parker growled, “Isn’t my choice of person to talk with on any sort of day about any thing."

“A shame." Byrnes said indifferently. It was clear that the animosity between them was not exaggerated and he knew that that could be worked to his advantage. Divide and Conquer, it was an oldie, but a goodie.

Getting on the lift, Parker watched as the door closed. “If you lose him..." Parker threatened dangerously, not liking this at all.

"Miss Parker, I can assure you, that there is absolutely no chance of losing him. The security we have is the best in the world. No offence, but you have far more likelihood of losing him than we do."

Parker had to chuckle a little at that, “A little over confident? Obviously you have never held someone like genius boy in you custody before."

"No we have not,” He admitted. “But my confidence is justified Miss Parker, rest assured on that. Not even a genius will be able to escape once we have him in the secured area." There would be no chance of the pretender slipping through their fingers, he had made sure of that.

Parker just scoffed as she moved them to another lift, waving the sweepers off. "You have no idea who you are dealing with."

"On the contrary, I have a very good idea who I am dealing with. If you would like, I can share my file on Jarod with you.” He smiled magnanimously at her.

"You have a file on him? Hand it over before I decide what we are doing," Parker ordered him. It surprised her though that he did have a file on Jarod, managed to keep track of him enough to build a file. Parker didn’t let that surprise show though.

"Perhaps when Mr Lyle is present too, saves me having the same conversation twice."

Parker just glared at him as she got off the lift and headed for the infirmary. Jarod would be in the middle of his medical exam right now, and thought there was no better time to talk to him. Opening the doors to the infirmary, Parker stalked down the halls and found the room with Jarod in it. Seeing Jarod standing in the middle of the exam room, butt naked, being poked and prodded, Parker smiled coldly at him, not liking that this agent was here. "Wonder boy." Parker purred.

Jarod looked up at her, looking around for something to cover himself. The guy in the suit next to her had to be a Fed, there was no doubt about that and he assumed that meant the pressure was really on now to get a SIM done. Either that, or this was some kind of ploy to convince him to work.

Seeing Jarod's permanent shadow grabbing Jarod's arm painfully tight to stop him from moving away, Parker walked closer to Jarod, her eyes running up and down his naked body appreciatively. He had burns on his torso though, from Lyle's damn jumper cables. “Has he done the MRI yet?" Parker asked Jarod, “Have you got the results? Sydney is extremely worried about your heart."

"Yes, and we are waiting on the results now." Jarod said softly. He could imagine how worried Sydney was and he hated doing this to him.

Byrnes looked at Jarod, seeing his embarrassment, it was no wonder he hated these people. There was absolutely no reason for this kind of treatment. "Perhaps some clothes might be in order.” He suggested, not wanting to start a working relationship off with Jarod on a negative note. He looked like a man who might respond well to a little bit of kindness and decency. Everything he had read about Jarod told him that he was a compassionate man, but one you didn’t want to cross.

Parker growled at the agent, "You do not tell us how to do our job." Parker warned before turning back to Jarod. “I want you to keep the test results of the MRI, cat scan, whatever else you have done so far so Sydney can have a look over them in your next SIM, or his next visit."

"Yes Miss Parker, I am fine though.” He said, still not looking at her. Curious though about the exchange she had just had with the suit. The animosity looked real enough and either this was a Sweeper who moonlighted as an actor, or he might just be the real deal. Jarod was keeping an open mind, not sure if this was an elaborate pretend they were trying to run on him now.

“How do you know Jarod?" Parker whispered in slight concern, not able to help herself after all Lyle had done to him. "Lyle and his damn jumper cables did a good job on you." She reached out and gently touched one of the burns.

Jarod flinched, more from fear of her digging her nails in than the pain, although it did sting. "Even he knows enough not to kill me." Jarod whispered.

“I am just worried about your heart, all these shocks can't be good for it." Parker whispered into his ear, so the fed wouldn’t overhear her, real concern in her voice. Glancing up at the sweeper, he let Jarod go and threw the pretender some pants to get into.

“Thank you,” He said gratefully, slipping into them quickly. “I will be fine, you needn’t worry."

“I want a copy of all the results sent to myself and Sydney." Parker ordered the doctor before dismissing him completely. Turning back to Jarod, "Jarod, this is agent..." Parker arched an eyebrow, his name escaping her for now, “Some head security fool from the mall or somewhere just as bad." Parker shook her head, knowing he was a special agent from Homeland Security, but not really caring. She was only worried about how Jarod would react and if he would try to escape.

"Byrnes, OHS," Byrnes informed him, sticking his hand out to shake Jarod's. "Pleased to meet you. That mall Miss Parker is referring to is called the United States of America.” He said, his tone dead serious. He didn’t fail to notice the guard and he wondered if Jarod was escorted everywhere. He also saw the burn marks but kept his face neutral, not wanting to aggravate Miss Parker, which he was discovering was easy to do.

Parker rolled her eyes, “Don't get all patriotic." She snapped, moving to block the agent’s hand from Jarod. “He would like to use you for how long?" Parker frowned at Byrne’s.

Jarod dropped his hand and wondered yet again why she had to be this way. He kept his mouth shut though, guessing she had no interest in any input he might have in this discussion, which so clearly was about him.

“There is no way to tell. If we get lucky, a few weeks, a month." Byrnes told her, dropping his hand to face her.

"You have a week." Parker told him. "Jarod is damn good at what he does, he can do it for you in one week." Parker said, half complimenting Jarod for his skill and genius, half condemning him to working non stop for the time she allowed them to have him for.

"Very well,” He agreed smoothly. He was thinking more along the lines of two or three months, but a week would do to start with. As they said, possession is nine tenths.

"Must be serious for one of you guys to come out of your bat cave." Jarod said, wondering what would bring an agent of the OHS to him. That was one of the very few agencies Jarod had not infiltrated at some time or other. If, of course he really was OHS. This didn’t seem their style at all. The were a very secretive organisation and they certainly didn’t come scouting like this usually. So this was either a set up, something perhaps Sydney had cooked up to try and take some pressure off, or something Parker had schemed to trick him. Either that, or the OHS really was desperate.

"Bat cave?" Parker asked, raising an eyebrow at Jarod, shaking her head at him. He seemed to pick up the weirdest things, find fascinations in the most pathetic normal things.

"You have never seen Batman Miss Parker?" Jarod asked in surprise, usually it was the other way around. He was the one that didn’t understand some bizarre cultural reference.

"Not recently. I thought at the very least with you trapped in here, you would stop using such references." At least he hadn’t heard of anything new yet he had become obsessed with.

“Miss Parker, is there somewhere we can all talk?” He asked, wondering if she was taking him seriously or not. Jarod seemed to be, despite the reference to Batman. He supposed though that Jarod took everything pretty seriously in here, judging by the condition he was in.

“In a moment. Go wait outside the room, I need to talk with Jarod privately first."

“Of course.” He said graciously, leaving them to their conversation.

When he was gone, Parker turned back to Jarod. “He wants to take you and use you for a while, a week. Will you do the work?"

Jarod sighed. "What work Miss Parker?” He asked, wondering yet again if this was some kind of pretend they were running on him in an effort to get him working. OHS was a nice touch and the guy certainly looked the part. He played along however, just to see where this was going.

“He wouldn’t tell me, not until everything is agreed upon. But mentioned 9/11, so I guess something along those lines. The agent said they have a lot of data to analyse, so maybe it’s just filing."

"You don't expect me to believe that do you Miss Parker?" Jarod asked her, scepticism in his voice. Filing would be the last thing they would want him for. Whatever it was they must have needed skills they did not possess.

“I told him you wouldn’t. I told him you would most likely think anything you do would be turned to hurt instead of help."

“And no doubt, he insisted." Jarod said, playing along with it for now.

“I have a feeling if we say no, they would find a way to get to you anyway." Parker shrugged, seeing how suspicious he was of all of this. "You think this is a joke?" Parker snapped. She wanted him working, no doubt about that, but Parker wouldn’t even bother with pulling her own pretend on Jarod.

"Certainly not,” Jarod said carefully. He did think it was just another ploy to get him working though.

“Do you think I like having a Fed walk in and demand use of you? Hinting I had no choice in the matter? That I am worried what would happen to you if you say no? More so with Lyle being your 'observer'."

"What?" That got Jarod's attention.

"You heard me freak," Parker snapped, folding her arms, not liking this what so ever.

"Why Lyle? Why not Sydney? That makes more sense. Lyle has no idea how to run a SIM."

"Because Sydney, in this case, cannot be trusted." Parker said bluntly. The first opportunity and Sydney would let the lab rat run free, something they could not afford to happen.

“Trusted to do what?" Jarod asked her, wondering what this was really about. Was she threatening to move Sydney permanently?

“To keep you in line, make sure you do the work they want done, to 'persuade' you when you refuse."

“And he has been so successful so far." Jarod shot before he could help himself.

Parker glared dangerously at him. “The agent said the security is so tight you won't ever be able to get away, but having Lyle there is just another security measure."

“Then why are you so worried?"

Parker wanted say because she didn't want him too badly hurt, but knew Lyle would use every chance to hurt him, that she didn't want him to escape and sign all of their deaths, but didn't. "Because you are one of my projects, and I need to make sure they are functional always." Parker said instead. Pulling that protective armour around herself again.

Her concern was touching. "What is the SIM?” He asked, not able to say yes or no until he heard what they wanted. If this was real, then he suspected it was a very bad situation to bring the OHS out. If this was a pretend, then it was something they needed done, and expected him to buck at.

“I told you already," Parker snapped. “I do not know, he wouldn’t tell me the details and I don't think he will until we have told him yes with all details sorted."

“Then we need to find out don't we?” He countered. “Although it is most likely a 'need to know' situation and he probably won't tell us anything."

“As far as I understand, it's data analysing. He said he had all their best minds and computers on it, but they need you to help."

Jarod shook his head. “They don't need me for that." Whatever it was, it was more than simple filing or data analysis.

"Obviously they do, or he is simply not telling me what we need to know." Parker growled, getting very frustrated. She didn’t like not knowing all the information, didn’t like not knowing what she was up against.

“Then call the meeting and see what he has to say." Jarod told her, still not convinced.

“I will, see what Lyle says as well." Parker nodded, “Strip and get back to your medical." Parker ordered, turning and walking to the door.

“It is done Miss Parker." Jarod told her, the doctor had just been finishing up as she came in.

“Then sit down and wait for the results, then have the sweeper bring you to the tower conference room. Don’t dare try anything Jarod." Parker warned him.

He looked at her patiently. “And just what might I try Miss Parker?” He asked steadily, although the idea of getting off the sublevel was exciting and if it was in the Tower, that meant he would get to see the sunshine. Wouldn’t be as good as going outside, but it would make a wonderful change from the drab grey of his underworld here.

"With you? God only knows." Parker mumbled, shutting the door and looking at the agent. "Now talk."

"Jarod won't be joining us?" Byrnes asked in surprise. “And what about Mr Lyle?"

"We will go to the conference room now, I will call him up and when Jarod has his test results, will be brought up." Parker said and started to walk without waiting for the fool.

"Good, can I assume he does not wish to cooperate?” He asked her as they made their way up. “They look like some nasty electrical burns he has.” He commented on Jarod's physical condition. He wondered if she had known he would be naked like that and she had wanted to display what had been done to him.

“He is very suspicious." Parker nodded slowly. “I want that file to read on Jarod, then I want to know exactly what you need him to do so I can relay it back to Jarod. As for his condition, it is none of your concern.”

“The file is only history, some of his activities within our other departments. Seems he was particularly fond of the DOJ. Agent Ressler made an appearance on any number of occasions.”

Parker shook her head, “The least he could have done was use different aliases. Idiot." Parker got on the lift and went to the lobby, calling Lyle into the conference room.

He was about to point out that that should have made it easier for them to track him but thought better of it at he last moment and just nodded in agreement.

When they got to the conference room, Parker walked in and took the head seat, letting Byrne’s take any seat he wanted to. “I do hope you have the files I need to see here."

"But of course Miss Parker.” He opened his briefcase and took out a thick folder. “I don't know if it will be of any help to you, it is as they say, all in the past now. But it may be useful.” He slid it across the table to her. “A gesture of good faith." It contained a detailed history of all the activities they had managed to track of Jarod in his various roles he had taken as a 'public servant'. Although he suspected they would never truly know how far he had managed to breach into their organisations, or how frequently. They had some of the best security in the world, yet had had circumvented it time and time again, seemingly effortlessly. He was certainly not a man to underestimate. Nor an asset that should be treated the way he was being treated.

Parker took and flicked through it, putting it aside for later. She was about to ask about what Jarod would do as work with them when Lyle walked in.

“I do not appreciate being called away from work, sis." Lyle smiled charmingly at the man there, “And who are you?”

“Special Agent Byrnes, sir.” He offered his hand to the man. He knew far more about Mr Lyle than Miss Parker, knew enough to know that he didn't like him. He had been involved in quite a few shady things, although had proved to be a useful facilitator on a number of occasions.

Shaking his hand, a cold gleam in his eyes. “So, special agent, what can we do for you?" Lyle wondered how the hell an Agent even got into the Centre, and more to the point, why was he even here.

"What you can do for your country Mr Lyle.” He said, waiting for him to be seated. "Please understand that what I am about to tell you must not leave this room."

"Just get on with it already." Parker growled. “He wants to take Jarod to use him for a week." Parker filled him in.

Lyle waited, sitting down and looked at the fed, wondering how much this would be worth.

"Yes, we have uncovered a threat, an attack we believe is coming. We just don't know how or when and so far we have been unable to piece it together enough to find out who. Now we are running out of time. Had we taken more aggressive measures back in 2001, then perhaps that disaster could have been averted." One thing was for sure though, they were going to do whatever it took this time, and if that meant violating one citizen's rights, then he had no problem with that at all.

"We are going to need more details, do you have a file for us to read?" Parker asked, wondering what Lyle would say.

“I cannot tell you too much more due to the delicate nature of this situation. Please understand. Also I do not wish to create a conflict of interest, I know some of your client list may very well be on our suspect list."

Parker had to agree with that and understand it. “And after the week, we are free to bring Jarod back?"

"We will return him, yes.” He agreed. He didn’t add that it wouldn’t be after a week, it wouldn’t be until they were good and ready to let him go.

"We still need a file, so I can give it to Jarod to have a look over, even with the basic information. Do you have one?" Parker asked again.

“Are you kidding me Parker? Have you lost your mind? Again? The lab rat does not have a say in this. He is our property, he does what we tell him to. The old goat is rubbing off on you, you are thinking of him as somewhat human. It will not do Parker.”

“And that has worked so well so far Lyle. Look, you go with him to wherever it is this fool came from and make sure he doesn't run. But we need to do this, you heard him, this is serious and critical they get help. I don't know about you Hannibal, but I do not want hundreds of deaths on my conscience. And not abstract deaths like genius boy, real faces, on the news in the papers."

"You will be amply compensated for any revenue lost, and you will be doing your country a great service, which we will not forget.” He told them both, ignoring the insults. “As for information, I am afraid I have none to give you, or him. Nothing leaves our building, and I mean absolutely nothing. I shouldn't have even told you what I have, they argued against me even telling you that. As a courtesy though, and respect for the long standing relationship I had with your father, and the Centre, it was the least I could do."

"Leave a number, we will discuss it and get back to you." Lyle smiled a charming smile at him, wanting to do it for time alone with the genius, if nothing else. It would get Parker and that old goat off his back for a change.

“I don't think you understand Mr Lyle." Byrnes said just as smoothly.

"Understand what? You have laid your cards down, such as they are.” He had told them practically nothing after all. "Now it's time for a discussion with my sis." Lyle said back in a calm easy voice.

"We need to move on this now Mr Lyle.” He told him.

“An hour or two will not kill you. End of discussion." Lyle started to get frustrated an annoyed but didn't let it show.

"Perhaps I could talk with Jarod then while you have your discussions?"

"No agent. Either go to your motel, or go to a cafe and amuse yourself for a while. We will call you when we have come to a decision." Parker stood up, watching Lyle do the same.

He looked at them both and nodded. "Very well.” He said, seeing this was most likely going to turn sour. “I will leave you to your discussions and await your call.” He flicked a card onto the table between them and then left.

Parker watched as the sweeper stepped in behind him before picking the card up and looking at Lyle.