Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Dont own them!
Sorry for the wait, thanks for all the reviews. love em!

Lyle had paced his 'room' for a little while, calming himself down, having a few scotches as he did. He finally got himself calmed down enough and realised that he wouldn’t be let out until he said he wouldn’t torment Jarod. It was not fair, they were away from his annoying twin and he still couldn’t hurt the rat. He would be patient though, do as the damn Agent demanded, but when they got back to the Centre, Jarod would severely regret this.

Jarod had had a very good day now that Lyle had been removed. He had access to snacks and coffee and everyone seemed a little more relaxed. Agent Byrnes seemed genuinely concerned about his well being, although Jarod wasn't fool enough to think he might protect him from the Centre. Still, this was a welcome respite for him and he would take what he could get. Settling back into the work quickly, he allowed himself to relax a little and let himself actually enjoy the work, despite its urgent nature.

Byrnes had let him stew all day, very pleased with the difference it had made to Jarod. He knew Jarod was working incredibly hard and the last thing he needed was that moron breathing down his neck. So far he had not made one move that could be interpreted as an attempt to escape, although he bet Jarod was thinking about it. Moving to the room Lyle was still currently trapped in, having giving him 12 hours to think about his situation, he decided to go visit him. Opening the door, he stood just inside it, two of his men there and ready in case Lyle did something foolish. He trusted Jarod far more than this man.

Lyle looked up from the couch, a book in his hand, hoping the idiot would come. He would keep his temper down, keep cool and calm and get Jarod back. "Agent.” He looked him up and down before going back to the book he wasn’t paying any attention to.

"Mr Lyle." Byrnes smiled, seeing that he was going to play it cool. He had watched him on the monitors on and off all day and he knew Lyle was not at all happy about this. He played along though. Lyle was a manipulator, Byrnes had come across men like him frequently, especially in the halls of power. He was a politician and as smooth as an oil slick, he just didn’t hold an official position. Byrnes guessed though that Lyle could hold his own with the sleaziest most dishonest of them. Byrnes hated politicians, always looking out only for themselves, and he hated Lyle.

"Come to gloat that you have taken my project away?" Lyle asked smoothly, putting the book down and standing up.

"How little you understand me Mr Lyle, what we are trying to do here. Do you really think I care about the politics between you and Jarod?"

“Obviously you don't." Lyle smiled at him, not willing to get angry again, needing to stay calm to get the rat back. "But I have been thinking, and I do realise that in order for you to get what you want and for me to get what I want, both Jarod and taking him home after the end of the second week, I need to back off."

"That is a very wise decision Mr Lyle." Byrnes smiled at him, it didn't reach his eyes though. "I will do whatever it takes to stop this threat, and as the patriotic man I know you are, I can assume that we share that goal?"

All they were sharing right now was his rat, Lyle didn't care about the threat, not one bit. He killed every day, Jarod was made to kill everyday, why would this bother him? But he pasted on a charming smile, “Of course Special Agent Byrnes. I will do what it takes to protect my country and its people."

"I am glad to see we are on the same page." Byrnes nodded, knowing full well that he didn't care at all. It sickened him having to deal with men like this. They were nothing more than mercenaries, and had the terrorists found out about Jarod, then he was sure Miss Parker and Mr Lyle would have been more than happy to take their money if they had gotten their first. Jarod was different though, he could see Jarod really cared about doing the right thing and Byrnes had a difficult decision to make once this was over. A decision he did not want to have to make. He looked at Lyle. "You have two options now Mr Lyle, and I will leave it up to you to decide."

Arching an eyebrow, Lyle waited, wondering what his 'options' were. He needed to get to a phone, he needed to call Parker and warn her they weren’t planning on letting Jarod go home yet.

Seeing that he wasn't arguing yet, Byrnes continued. "I can send you home, which I assume you do not want?"

"No, I do not want that. So let me guess, my other option is to stay here and keep my hands off of the pretender?" Lyle asked in an even voice.

"You are a wise man Mr Lyle. I have already spoken to Miss Parker, and although she is not happy, there is little she can do about it. Jarod is working well and will continue to do so, without your interference. Am I understood?"

“Of course Agent Byrnes," Lyle gave him his most dazzling smile. He just wanted Jarod to finish now to get the hell out of this place.

"Very good." Byrnes nodded, although he didn't trust him for one second. "Any positive input will be appreciated. As for your pretender, if he is working, then he is to be left alone. His diet is no longer your concern, nor his hours. As far as I can tell Jarod is as dedicated to this mission as everybody in this room is. If a coffee and a donut helps him keep his energy and concentration levels up, then that is what he shall have. This is not a concentration camp Mr Lyle, despite the security, and I am not in the business of torturing or tormenting people unless I absolutely have too, and most certainly not one that is so willing to help."

"His diet stays the same." Lyle told him firmly. “He is still to get his meals I have ordered, but yes, if he needs a coffee or a snack, by all means let him have it. But his main meals are to stay they same, they help build his mind and give him the exact amount of nutrients and vitamins he needs."

Byrnes had anticipated this argument already. "I think if you studied that further you would find that that is not correct at all. Your nutritional information is out of date. Yes, it is a healthy meal, but it lacks a substantial amount of proteins and a list of other things our scientists found. And given the lack of sunshine, a more varied diet is in order. And there is the psychological aspect too. If he were a criminal, I might be inclined to let it go, but he is doing this country a great service here and I will afford him every accommodation that I can. Simply put Mr Lyle, he works better when he is happy and well fed. Surely even you can understand that."

"I want that list your scientists have, so I can let our cooks alter his meals when he gets back to get him everything he needs." Lyle said, ignoring the rest of his rant.

“Of course Mr Lyle. I will have a copy made up for you. They have actually already made a list of additions if you are interested. I think they mentioned the phrase, 'decades out of date'." Byrnes said smugly.

Lyle kept the anger from his faced and eyes, “Please Agent, it will help us a great deal. And if you are so hell bent on keeping his normal food from him, I want him to eat meals with mostly veggies and a simple piece of meat, chicken or beef. I do not want him having fancy meals."

"To be honest Mr Lyle, I think that will suit him just fine. He seems to be a man of simple tastes, so that is all settled then?” He asked him with a nod. If it wasn't settled, then Lyle could just stay in his room. Byrnes liked simple solutions. Jarod would be given the same menu choices they all were.

Lyle forced a smile and nodded, “Settled. Now if you will please give me my access back to Jarod."

“Of course, he is in the main hub, coordinating a strike on a suspected terrorist training camp right now.” He didn't warn him that he needed to behave himself, he would be watched closely and the moment his presence had a negative impact on Jarod's work, then he would be removed. Lyle may think he is the king of his domain at the Centre, they were in Byrnes’ domain now, and Byrnes's authority was absolute. The people in Washington that counted didn’t care what he did, as long as he did it quietly and as long as he got it done. Assuming he didn’t do anything contrary to their interests, then he had a large amount of leeway. The one thing he wanted though, he knew was going to be hard for them to agree to.

"Fine," Lyle said smoothly and a smile, just wanting Jarod to get his work done so they could haul his arse back where it belonged, and treat him how he deserved. Like a rat, a project.