Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait, have been real busy with tons of stuff. Hopefully this chapter makes up for the wait. Thanks for the reviews everyone.
“Don’t expect me to resuscitate you when your arteries clog with cholesterol," Jarod said absently, already reading from one of the folders in front of him. The work was of much more interest to him now than Lyle's menu or taunting.

“I will not tell you again," Lyle growled, “Mind your manners. I have a good mind to let you go hungry with the way you have been acting." Lyle knew though in here he was restricted to what he could do, which annoyed him greatly.

“Don’t think agent Byrnes would like that." Jarod said calmly.

Lyle looked at Jarod, reading it as a threat. “Do you think I care what he says Jarod? I own you, I can do what I want with you."

Jarod sighed and didn't even look up at him, tired of his posturing. He was here to do something worthwhile for a change and it made him feel good. Lyle wasn’t going to ruin this for him.

Finishing his food, Lyle pulled away Jarod's not yet empty bowl and called the guards over, ordering the food to be taken. "Get back to work."

Shaking his head a little, Jarod decided ignoring him would be the best way to deal with this and he just concentrated on his work. He could lose himself in it and he wouldn’t even know Lyle was there. He was useless after all and they would not permit him to interfere with getting the job done.

Lyle stood right next to Jarod, close enough to be slightly brushing against him. Watching as he worked, trying to see if Jarod was sabotaging it.

Doing his very best to ignore him, Jarod concentrated on the information. Nobody knew how much time they had, although they were all working on the assumption that it was going to be soon. Although Lyle could be annoying, he knew that he wasn’t going to be allowed to touch him in here, and that must be driving him nuts. He also knew he would be bored out of his mind soon, not understanding anything Jarod was likely to be doing and that was just fine by Jarod.

It had been nearly a week, and aside from Lyle's petty torments, Jarod had been left to work and he had made significant progress, although there were still no clear answers yet. He was close and he thought another week, two at the most and he would have what they needed. The dive into the terrorist world had been very alarming, although very insightful as well. There was so much information that he had sifted through, as they tried to build a matrix to predict future events and identify potential risks. Slowly, slowly it was coming together though and Jarod was starting to get a feel for it. They had allowed him unprecedented access and it was a very good team, all dedicated to the job and he was enjoying working with them. He had huge admiration and respect for Byrnes too, it could not have been easy to let a stranger in, to take over his domain. He had stepped back though, let Jarod do what he had to and that took a strength of character and a commitment to the long term goal that Jarod rarely saw.

It was the last day of this hell, Lyle desperate to get out and go home, to have some fun with a pretty little Asian girl at the restaurant he liked. Opening the door to Jarod's cell at 6 am, Lyle walked in. Jarod was up already, with slightly damp hair, at least he had learnt to shower before Lyle came. Otherwise he would not shower at all. Lyle hadn’t even permitted them to give Jarod anything to shave with, not even an electric shaver, so Jarod had a bit of a beard happening. “On your feet pretender."

Jarod looked up at him. "Yes Mr Lyle.” He said in a dull voice. He was tired, having worked flat out since he had gotten here. Lyle taking every opportunity to give him petty torments and hassles.

Jarod's manners had gotten a lot better again, being polite and obedient. Lyle figured, if Jarod was rude or misbehaved, was disobedient, he would work him harder, make Jarod stay up to all hours in the morning working. The agent didn't protest at that, since it meant more work being done for them, and it made Jarod realise that he needed to be a good little project, or he wouldn’t get his beauty sleep.

Walking out into his work area, which was a sort of organised chaos, he settled himself down and got on with the analyses.

"We will be going home tonight Jarod, so you better move that arse of yours along and get your work finished." Lyle ordered him.

Jarod said nothing to him, just nodded, although he didn't think they would be going anywhere just yet, and the way things were looking, not for a little while longer. "Yes Mr Lyle.” He said mechanically. He had learnt to filter Lyle's presence out almost completely, only just aware enough of him to respond to commands or questions.

Lyle stood over him as always, reading his work as he did it. There was a lot of information, boxes upon boxes of it. When the food came an hour later, Lyle sat down as the trays were placed down. Jarod, as to his order, had eaten nothing but the green slop all week, just like in the Centre. And each meal, Lyle had something delicious, with an aroma that would entice you to do anything to eat the food. Lyle wasn’t able to torment and hurt Jarod as much as he had hoped, so it was the little things that Lyle could do.

Jarod continued to work as he ate, not bothering to take a break, not bothering to respond to Lyle's petty attempts to annoy him unless it was unavoidable. He had accepted that meal times were a constant taunt and didn’t respond to that, and tried his best not to think about it. It was hard though with it right in his face constantly. Not to mention the damn smell that was enough to drive him crazy, although he did his best not to let it show, not wanting to give Lyle the satisfaction.

Lyle was disappointed as Jarod yet again didn't respond. It was no fun when Jarod didn't give Lyle a reason to play more. Deciding Jarod had had enough after about five mouthfuls, Lyle took the bowl away and gave the trays to the guard.

"Are you trying to undermine this project Mr Lyle?" Byrnes asked, watching him. Completely disgusted with this man’s behaviour. It was bad enough that they were condoning such flagrant abuse of human rights at the Centre, but Byrnes was damned if he was going to stand for it any longer on his watch. His superiors could all go to hell. At what price were they willing to pay for this? How many Constitutional Rights would he end up violating to protect that Constitution? To protect freedom? He knew what they did here was a necessary evil, and that if they played by their own rules, then they would certainly lose this ‘war’. Usually those people whose rights they violated were guilty and he had no qualms about that at all. This was different though. He had stood by this week and watched as Lyle behaved like a 4 year old bullying in the kindergarten playground and he had kept his mouth shut in order to avoid a confrontation. It was going to end right now.

Lyle looked up at the agent as he walked in, “Of course not agent Byrnes. He is working just fine, no complaints, aren’t you Jarod?" Lyle asked, patting his face gently, almost like a pat of approval from a parent, just not on the head.

Byrnes had had just about enough of this man. Jarod was working his arse off and Lyle was hindering things rather than helping them. “Mr Lyle, I need a moment of your time, while Jarod finishes his breakfast."

"He is full, aren’t you Jarod?" Lyle asked sweetly, daring him to say no.

"Yes Sir," Jarod said softly.

"See, now get back to work Jarod. Agent, what is it you wanted to talk about?"

“I see." Byrnes said, his tone terse. He had let this go on too far, hoping that he would settle down, but that was not the case and he should have stopped this much sooner. “In my office please, if you don't mind."

Looking at Jarod to the agent, “Don't stop working unless you need the bathroom or a drink." Lyle ordered Jarod, moving out with Byrnes.

Jarod didn't bother acknowledging him, just wanting him gone.

“Mr Lyle." Byrnes said, holding the door open for him.

Walking in, Lyle took a seat without waiting for permission.

Byrnes watched him for a moment, taking stock of the man. Over the last week his dislike had moved into outright loathing, while a steady respect for Jarod had grown. He felt sorry for the man whose only crime was that he was born too smart for his own good. Nevertheless, Byrnes knew that it had to be this way, at least for now. He couldn't put the good of one man ahead of the good of the many. He might have been sympathetic to Jarod's situation, but he was a patriot first, in everything.

"Well? I don't have all day. Jarod needs to finish this so we can go. The end of the week is tonight." And thank god for that. Lyle didn’t think he could take much more of this. It was frustrating and infuriating not having total control over his project.

"Yes it is," Byrnes agreed. “I am sure you will be glad to be free of this place."

"As you would if you were in the Centre. Jarod, with any luck should be finished tonight. And if he is not, we can make different arrangements for his services."

"There is no chance Jarod will be finished by tonight unfortunately. When you return you can tell your Miss Parker that we are sorry for any inconvenience, but his services will be required for just a little longer.” He smiled tightly at him. Jarod had done more this week than they could have in three months. There was no way now that they could give him up, not when a solution might be so close, and knowing that if he didn’t complete his work, it might take them months to finish what Jarod had started.

"Excuse me?" Lyle asked, sitting up straighter. "Jarod does not go anywhere without me. He is coming back to the Centre and you can make new arrangements with Parker there."

“I am afraid we can't let him go right now, not when we are so close. Thousands of lives are on the line here Mr Lyle. As you can see, he is secure and there is no possibility of escape. He will be returned to you when this is completed, or we have enough that we no longer require him. Along with ample compensation of course."

"And you expect me to believe this? You gave us your word he would be returned after the weeks end, and now you are demanding for more?" Lyle kept a tight control on his anger, keeping his face as calm and even as possible.

'It is unfortunate, and as a patriot, I would hope you would understand. As a businessman I am sure you can appreciate things do not always go according to forecasts."

“I want an hour of unmonitored time with Jarod, while you call sis and make her do this." Lyle growled, furious about this.

“I cannot allow that Mr Lyle." Byrnes said firmly.

"He belongs to us," Lyle seethed. "You cannot do this."

“Actually, I can.” He disagreed calmly. Putting this bastard in his place was long overdue.

Lyle took a calming breath. "You have him for one week more, and then regardless, we are taking him back. This is unacceptable."

“Hopefully the job will be completed by then, I believe that we are quite close now. You can tell Miss Parker that when we return you tomorrow morning.”

“I am not leaving here without Jarod." Lyle told him firmly.

“May I be frank Mr Lyle?”

"You may, but I am not leaving him here."

“You have been nothing but a liability to this mission and I am tired of it. You are small minded and petty. I have never seen anyone with such a poor grasp on how to deal with people. If this is how you run things at the Centre, it is no wonder you have trouble managing him.”

Lyle just smiled charmingly at him, “It is so fun when I can torment him.” His voice was chilly as he said it, but he would lay off if he needed to. Parker took care of the business side of it, all Lyle wanted for the moment was to make the genius pay.

“Yes it might satisfy your twisted perversions Mr Lyle, but that is not my job, nor Jarod's. I want you gone.”

“If I go, Jarod goes. He is working, you said he has done in one week what you would do in three months. Why do you care what I do with him?"

“Because it is interfering with his performance. Even you should be able to see that Mr Lyle. If you left him alone, stopped with the petty torments and cruelties, then I am certain more would be achieved.”

"You have until the end of another 7 days, then regardless he comes home." Lyle stood up.

“Mr Lyle, I take it you are choosing to stay with us?” Byrnes asked, knowing he wasn't going to leave Jarod here.

"Yes I am, until Jarod goes, I do not."

“Very well Mr Lyle, but this stops now. Your supervision of Jarod is over as of this moment.”

"No it is not." Lyle growled. "Jarod is under me, and will stay under me."

“Do not push me on this Mr Lyle. I have been very patient with you this week, out of respect. It is enough though and it stops now. You are unfit to supervise him in any situation, but most especially this one.” Byrnes said, steel in his voice.

Lyle looked at him, seeing how serious he was. “I will keep my hands off of him, for now."

“You will stay away from him completely Mr Lyle. You will not dictate his hours, or his menu, am I clear?”

"No you are not. He is MY project. He eats at 7, lunch at 12 dinner at 6 and if he is up working, a late snack at midnight. He is MY project, he stays with me."

“I thought you might see it that way.” He nodded to the guards at the door. “Please escort Mr Lyle to his room, afford him every courtesy, he needs some time to rethink.” Byrnes had been wanting to do this all week.

Lyle glared at the guards and faced the agent again. "He is mine, he is working. You do not tell me how to do my job. He will stay with me."

Byrnes just nodded to them and watched as they moved forward. He typed a few commands into his keyboard, suspending his ability to unlock Jarod's or his own door.

Lyle growled at them. "Fine," Lyle gave in. “I will just stand and supervise the rat.”

“For now Mr Lyle, I don't want you near him, Am I understood?”

"No you are not." Lyle snapped. "He belongs to me.” He snarled, getting angrier and angrier. Who the hell was he? He did not control Lyle and he did not control Jarod. He knew though he was in someone else’s territory and to get what he wants, sooner or later he would need to back down. If just for a little while.

“And right now Mr Lyle, YOU belong to me.” He nodded to the guards. He wondered just how dense he could be. It was like dealing with a four year old and Byrnes took great satisfaction ad the guard stepped forward and grabbed his arm lightly.

“Please Sir, come this way.” The security detail told him politely.

Lyle growled at him, "You will pay for this.” He whispered chillingly cold as he turned and stormed past the men.

“I am sure I will.” Byrnes brushed him off as no consequence.

Lyle stormed down the halls, fuming, the minute they got Jarod back to the Centre, there would be hell to pay.

When he left, Byrnes sat back in his chair, letting out a long sigh. He wondered just how many more compromises he was going to have to make on this thing, how many more deals with the devil he would conduct before this was over.

As Lyle stormed past, Jarod knew immediately something was up. He paused from his work to look at him and couldn't help the smile. He knew later he would pay, but right now, it was just too good not to enjoy. Whatever it was, it surely had Lyle angry, and judging by the two armed guards that were escorting him, Jarod guessed the meeting had not gone too well for Lyle.