Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Feeling the warm rays of an early sun caressing the skin of his one arm Jarod groaned softly and forced one eye to open slowly.

Having expected the usual gray dullness of one of his regular hideaways he was at first pleasantly surprised to rest his gaze on the tranquil surroundings of what was obviously a woman’s bedroom. Then, as the fogginess surrounding his mind started to clear away, he suddenly came to the shocking realization that not only was the room’s appearance very peaceful, but it also has a very familiar look to it.

Opening his other eye he laid quiet at first. He was confused as to how he came to be there and also trying to convinced his mind that maybe he was still dreaming, because surely what he was experiencing at that moment was something that normally only happened at the end of some of his most private of dreams.

After a very long minute of allowing his eyes to roam across the room he finally came to the frightful conclusion that he was not dreaming at all, that what he was seeing around him was indeed very real and not part of some overactive workings of a testosterone-driven mind.

Swallowing, taking a deep breath, he turned his head to the one side.

Nothing.

Where one would normally expect a warm body there was now only a slight indentation in the mattress and some disarrayed soft satin sheets, indicating that there had definitely been someone laying there until recently.

Frowning, he pushed himself into an upright position. No matter how hard he tried he just could not remember as to what had caused him to wake up in her bedroom of all places.

Surely…no…he could not even begin to consciously express the thought that maybe he and she had actually crossed the line from being ‘I run. You chase,’ to something more.

Swinging his legs over the side of the bed he remained sitting for a moment, deep in thought, before rubbing a hand slowly across his face.

He knew that he had to stand up and face the truth sooner or later, but it would have been better if he did not have such a big gap in his memory. Or maybe he should rather say a gigantic black hole where the memory of the previous night should have been.

All that he could remember was that he had broke into her house to leave her another of his famous – or should that be infamous? – packages and that to his uttermost horror she had surprised him by still being at home instead of the Centre. He could also faintly recall a drawn gun, a bottle full of dark liquid and some heated exchange of words and then…

Nothing…only blankness.

It was a frustrating sensation to him, especially since it had happened only once before where he consciously knew that he was experiencing a lapse in memory. For someone like him, a pretender, a genius with the ability to become anyone he wanted to be, it was like loosing a part of his sanity.

Realizing that there was no point in delaying the inevitable he moved to one side the multitude of sheets and blankets that was entwined with his body only to come to the abrupt realization that he was – naked. Besides being in his birthday suit, he could also see long red marks zigzagging across his chest and his…uh…the part of him that did not happen to get a lot of sunshine.

Cursing softly, he darted his eyes around the room, but was unable to find any evidence of what had happened to his clothes.

He was just about to embrace the thought of disappearing under the linen and blankets again when a soft noise coming from somewhere at the front of the house reached his ears.

Sighing, unable to quite believe his bad luck, he stood and wrapped a blanket securely around his middle.

He hesitated only for a few seconds before making his way out of the bedroom and towards the direction of the noise he had heard. He had no idea what he would say once he came face to face with her, or even what she might do to him at that stage, but he guessed anything would be better than having to remain stuck in the unknown. Maybe, just maybe, if she allowed him to live long enough, he might be able to find out what had happened the previous night from her.