Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Author's notes: former challenges - near death experience and Miss Parker/Thomas.

The Pain of Existence




She spends too much time in hospitals and cemeteries. Sometimes she wondered if she’s trying to find something there. Maybe peace. It never comes though, so that can’t be the reason.

The bullet entered her lower back, possibly in search of its partner from years ago. Fire burns up her nerves before she slips into the blessed cold of unconsciousness.

“Parker,” a voice says. Soft and warm. Familiar.

“Tommy?”

“You shouldn’t be here. Not yet.”

There was nothing but darkness and his voice but she found herself unafraid. There was no pain here either.

“I miss you.”

“Not yet, love. We’ll be together eventually.”

Far, far away she could hear voices; feel the tiny prickling of pain. They were so far away she paid them no heed. Perhaps she would'n't return to them--

“No, Parker, you have to go back. They need you.”

“I need you. You left me.”

“I never left you. Now you have to go back. You have to fight, Parker. Fight for me.”

The pain was blossoming. Her back was burning – wherever her back was. Her head was starting to feel fuzzy.

“Fight! What did you promise me?!”

So much pain… she longed not to feel it. Not to feel anything. Still, his voice left no room for argument.

“To find out who did this and make them pay.”

She knew he was smiling – could hear it in his voice.

“That’s right. Never forget I love you, Parker. No matter what.”

“I love you too, Tommy,” she whispered.

And when the pain burned through her again she gritted her teeth and fought it. For her there would be no more time in hospitals and cemeteries.