Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Since that parting back when they were still young and innocent children, Jarod had tried time and time again to open up the part of Miss Parker that held the little girl he once knew. What locked that part of her up, he didn't know. One day, he would figure it out. Until then, he planned to continue chipping away at the wall in her heart.

*****

"Sydney you won't believe this!" Broots declared as he rushed into Sydney's office. Knocking over a lamp with his DSA player that was abruptly shoved on to the desk, Broots made sure to catch it before it shattered. His hands were shaking as he held one finger up to Sydney, "You have got to see this."

"Is there a problem, Broots?" Sydney replied to the anxious man.

"Well uh y-you could definitly say that, Syd."

"Broots-"

"Just watch this DSA from last night."

Broots flicked a shining DSA into the player with Sydney watched in disbelief as two sweepers dragged a lifeless Jarod into a small cell and left him lying on the metal cot on the side of the wall. Wiping their hands together, the two sweepers left under the watchful eye of Mr. Lyle. Thankfully, the black and white screen showed no blood on Jarod's body.

"Broots, why were we not informed?! We need to get down there immediatly!"

"No, just keep watching."

Lyle's grin grew wider as he watched Miss Parker's limp body being carelessly dropped beside Jarod's form. The steady rise and fall of the two's chests indicated that they were not dead, but simply unconcious. Lyle's voice called to the remaining sweepers, "Alright boys, mission accomplished. Parker may have caught up to Jarod, but I caught up to her. Come on, boys!" The sweepers left the room, but Lyle lingered longer rubbing his thumb's stump. "Looks like I win this time, Jarod," he said cryptically. Smiling his sick twisted trademark, he left the room. The door's closing echoed deep into the distance.

"Oh my God. Broots does anyone know that you have this in your possesion?"

"No. I made sure to delete all traces from the digital archives, and any trails from the mainframe are too minial for even Jarod to uncover. And I even made sure that anyone who started asking questions wouldn't find anything. A friend of mine, Max, who works in Transmissions, you know- the one who doesn't grow any finger nails so he has to wear those little ointment pads that-"

"Broots!" Sydney steered him back onto his original train of thought.

"Oh yea. Sorry, Sydney. Well anyway, he told me he'll stop any rumors from floating around."

Sydney nodded, "We have to get down there. Broots, will you do me a favor?"

Broots cleared his throat, "I'm guessing that this favor doesn't mean 'go down to the drugstore and pick me up some Pepto' does it?"

"I need for you to freeze the cameras in Jarod and Miss Parker's room and find out when security is most lax. I'll also need the door unlocked."

"Oh gosh, Sydney!" Broots' eyes bulged, "I don't know if I can handle this kind of pressure! I mean with Miss Parker not only gone, but being held prisoner, who else is there to do all of the dirty work? I just I just, oh gosh Sydney! I think I'm going to faint."

"Broots snap out of it!"

"Oh sorry, Sydney. When I'm nervous I talk, and right now I think I have a lot to be nervous about."

"Can you do it?"

"Technically, it will be a challenge, but I can do it. I can do it. I can do it," he repeated to himself several times, "I have to do this."

"For Miss Parker, Broots. And Jarod."

"Alright Sydney. When?" Sydney smiled at his young willing colleague.

*****

"Enjoying your trip down memory lane, Jarod?" Lyle coaxed.

"Of course. Maybe we should go a little deeper into the past. Say to before you monsters stole me from my parents?" he replied to the taunt.

"You will. All in due time," Lyle answered cryptically.

"Lyle!" Raines' jagged voice interrupted their battle with as much volume as he could muster up, "What do you think you are telling him?!"

"Don't worry, Squeaky. Everything will be just fine," he said, never once losing eye contact with Jarod who couldn't hide the sheet of worry layering his chocolate brown eyes.
Miss Parker warily eyed her brother and Jarod's exchange. Ever since they had arrived in this hell hole, the bickering had never stopped. Seeking some relief of any kind, Jarod's face turned towards hers.

"Welcome to my world," she said. His response was to raise his eyebrow and glance back to the arguing holders.

"Are you finished?"

"Shutup, Jarod!" Lyle replied.

"Well would you two just get to the point. What do you want?" Parker replied to Lyle's outburst.

"You want us to get on with it? Okay, Miss Parker. As you wish." Lyle snapped his fingers and three sweepers arrived on command like trained chihuahahs. They laced their motions together and swept towards the couple sitting on the cot. Each placed a firm hand on Jarod's shoulders and back while the helpless Pretender stared down at the ground with a small smile of defeat on his face. Parker knew that that was not neccesarily a bad sign. It meant he still had control of himself. As he was grabbed off of the cot he sat on, the sweepers dragged him along towards the exit of the cell. Jarod's feet shuffled as he attempted to keep up with their quick pace. Finally he stopped, the effort just wasn't worth it.

"Where are you taking me?" Jarod asked calmly.

"For some simple tests," Raines replied.

"Tests?" Parker asked cynically of the bald man.

"Yes, tests. We need to know what kind of health Jarod has maintained throughout these years of- disobediance. The doctors need to make sure he's healthy, along with his mind capabilities."

"What!?" Jarod demanded, "I don't need any tests done. What you see is what you won't get. And if my 'mind capabilities' are in question, you could always send me back to the real world."

"If your brain is no longer as great as we thought, you will no longer be of use to us. Therefore, you will be exterminated."

"Well maybe that's not such a bad thing," he replied seriously.

Jarod's cold stare said it all. Nothing was going to break his soul, not this time or any other. The upwards nod of Raines' head directed the trio of suited men down the hall, dragging their precious belonging in the middle with them.

*****

The innocent child-like voice went unheard throughout the drafty vents.

"Daughter... scared. Wants to go away. Jarod sick. Jarod needs help. Molly."

The cryptic analysis of his friends was of no help to anyone even if they had heard it. The thumps of a man's loud footsteps echoed through the system and Angelo feared for the safety of his friends. He needed to help them.

*****

"Has the testing begun?" Mr Parker's gruff voice inquired of his son. The two were standing behind the safety of a two-way mirror. On the other side of their shield was a group of doctors, Mr Raines, several monitors and pieces of equipment, and The Centre's ultimate prize shining beneath the straps of an operating table. It wasn't that The Centre planned on operating, yet. No, the leather straps were to keep their reluctant Pretender from- wandering. His stern face eximplified his pure anger at the Centre operatives for their mistreatment of him. The butterflies in his stomach would not leave as he wondered what these sick people planned to do with him. Testing- he'd believe that when Raines sprouted hair.

"Not yet, Dad. The doctors are still searching for his most recent records."

"Well tell them to get a move on. I don't have all day!" Mr Parker responded to Lyle's information. His son leaned in and pressed a button.

"Could we get this done sometime before Christmas?!" he barked through the intercom.

"We're doing our best, Sir. It appears someone has tampered with the subjects medical reports," a doctor replied.

"Gee, I wonder who that could be!"

Jarod looked into the mirror, knowing who was hiding behind it, and winked with a smug smile.

"Son of a-"

"Lyle! We'll deal with Jarod's misbehavior later," Mr Parker warned, "Right now, you need to ignore him. Jarod is obviously attempting to have you lose your control. Don't let his mind games work on you like they did on your sister!"

"Of course."

"Sir, what do we do about the lost medical records?"

"I believe its your job to know what to do, Doc! Jarod apparantly tampered with our mainframe," Lyle paused, "Wait a minute. Did you check the backup systems?"

Jarod was looking around expectantly but found nothing to suggest they had done such a thing. He tried to hide the smile, but his eyes gave away his hearty emotions. "Never mind. Just go ahead and make a new one. We'll sort this out later." The frustration was evident in his voice while he watched that cocky genius having such a good ole' time! "Are you having fun, Jarod?"

"Oh sure I am! Yes the leather straps inabling me from twitching are a bit," Jarod paused, "Mmm restriciting, but other than the loose feeling in my left knee I am just peachy!"

He topped this off with a plastic smile, obviously having taken tips from Parker.

"Doctor," Lyle demanded the attention of the Centre operative who was scribbling on a clip board.

"Yes, Sir."

"I belive the straps on our subject should be tightened a tad."

"But Sir, the straps are already tighter than needed. These are minial procedures and I'm sure he'll be alright."

"Just do as I say unless you would like a cell reserved in Renewal Wing- now."

The doctor hurried over to his patient, examined the leather restraints, and looked into his eyes. They claimed innocence. Never had he looked into a soul with so much pain and compassion. He halted in his movements but the man whispered quietly, "Just do it. You'll be much worse off if you don't." The sacrifice was obviously one from a victim of neglect who was thinking of himself last and had been doing so for a long time. He shook his head but reluctantly tightened the bindings. Jarod cringed at the numbness that was spreading throughout his body due to the cut in circulation.

"Feel better now, Jarod?"

"Of course, Lyle, Daddy P. I'm just great," he said through clenched teeth. Lyle smiled at the Pretender in distress.

"Well then- let the games begin."

*****

All alone in this tiny cell. Was she claustraphobic? Maybe not before this. Miss Parker hated the confining feeling this place had always given her, but now it was magnified as her space was minified. A cockroach crawled across the toe of her stilleto heel. Atleast Lyle hadn't taken all of her weapons. Footsteps clicked down the hall, but these were steps of another set of heels. Unless Lyle had more secrets that she didn't know about, this was a woman. A flash of blonde appeared in the tiny window of the heavy door.

"Well hello, Love. New arrangement since the last time our paths crossed isn't it?"

"Brigette, wonderful to see you again. The last time I saw you, you were busy having a kid, and I was the one who kept you both from dying," Miss Parker replied to the fake accent.

"Well, that was before your father and Cox showed up and helped me."

"Whatever, now what do you want?"

"Can't Mommy visit her little stepdaughter without the third degree."

"Not when she's a brown-nosing bitch who tried to kill her own husband just for more power and a few brownie points with Raines. And by the way, luv, never think that you are a replacement for my mother. Don't even mention her," she hissed.

"Lets just put the past behind us shall we, Miss Parker? I still do not know why you defend the man who is letting his daughter rot down here underground."

"I'm sure he doesn't know. And besides that, I was not defending him, not anymore. He blew it when he blew our deal. You never answered my question."

"I have come down here to ask you a few simple questions, Miss Parker. Questions that you should answer truthfully or else," her liquid voice poured out.

"Or else what, Blondie?"

"Or else- those that you care about will suffer. I believe we proved our capabilites with that plumber, Tom."

"His name is Thomas and he was a carpenter. Don't you dare talk of him in my presence," she bolted to the window where the woman stood, "I have nothing to lose, therefore I have no one you can hurt, but me."

"So you're saying that Jarod means absolutly nothing to you?" she inqired calmly with a fake smile to go with her fake Brittish accent.

"That is what I am saying."

"And you wouldn't be the least bit upset if we told this to Jarod? Its obvious that his opinion differs."

"Jarod knows good and well what I think, so why don't you just go lounge with my family a while longer, closing hours are at five for sucking up you know," she replied.

"Hmph," she said eyeing her stepdaughter cautiously but leaned in whispering, "You should really watch who's toes you tread on, Miss Parker. Consider yourself warned."

"Or you'll go tell my Daddy. Tattle tale will go nicely on your resume," she answered to the threat. Brigette's eyebrows only rose as she strode back down the sickenly shining hallway. Parker sat down on the cot once again. She was certain that they would find any excuse to inflict another batch of pain on Jarod, but she had to pretend that they wouldn't to keep her concience secure.

Noises down the hall alerted her to more visitors. She listened carefully as Brigette's voice flooded the hall.

"Well well well. How are you doing, Love?"

"Never better," replied Jarod's raspy voice. He sounded extremely tired.

"Well Muffin, perhaps you should have been a good little boy and you and Miss Parker wouldn't be suffering right now. Hmm?"

Jarod was silent and obviously tired of the taunts meaning absolutly nothing.

"Come on," Raines ordered his sweepers. The door swung open and Willie's face appeared before two sweepers, with Jarod sandwiched limply in the middle, and Raines and his dear tank caboosing the end of the line.

"Recovering from that bullet that found its way into you, Willie?"

There was no reply which was enough to satisfy her. Jarod was abruptly dropped to the cement as Raines waved for them to exit.

"Thank you for the nice landing," Jarod mumbled as he tried in vain to lift himself up. Parker got down on her haunches and helped the weak man onto the cot.

"What did they do to you?! Why can't you move?" she asked him.

"They didn't damage me permanently, it will wear off in an hour or two I'd say. I was strapped to a table and was getting no blood flow."

"Oh really, well what is this blood here for then?"

"Oh. Well, they took some blood. That's all. Don't worry about it, Parker."

"I'm not. I was just wondering what was in store for me," she replied menacingly. The icy cold comment was brushed off. Jarod understood, this was her way of dealing with the pain.
Jarod's frail arm fell to the side as he drifted off to sleep. The Centre's legacy would continue if they didn't find a way out of here. Miss Parker crawled into the small space Jarod didn't occupy and leaned against the wall attempting sleep. The temporary escape finally came after an hour of pondering an escape. Neither noticed the red light flash once and finally fade away completley.





AN: I'm no medical expert. If anything seems outrageously unbelievable, you'll just have to let a few medical phenomenons slide!