Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The fine furnishings bragged the wealth of which this corporation was run on. The completely sanitized hallways proved their lack of failure. None revealed to the common that anything out of the ordinary occurred here. There were some experiments conducted here, but they were all for the good of man kind. The public was oblivious to the fact that there were children torn from their mothers and fathers who would devote their lives to finding their children. The Centre. Not a soul in this place knew all of the secrets. Not one. Mr Parker had devoted his life along with his daughter and wife's lives to this place. Now his little girl was running free with the Centre's prize asset, Jarod. Who knew what lies he would try and implant in her head? The only person that Miss Parker was ever meant to trust was him. And it worked like this for many years after Catherine's death. Her Maxim, "Daddy is always right," had soon lost its truth as she discovered more and more of the lies she had been fed to quench her questions. Questions. They were what got a person killed in this place. He couldn't save Catherine, but when she died, he promised himself that he would make sure that his little girl's fate wasn't the same. But Miss Parker was too much like her mother. Jarod encouraged her to ask questions and not to accept everything that people told her. He had sealed her doom by making her do that. When it all came down to it, Mr Parker could blame Jarod for anything and everything in The Centre. All of the deaths- wouldn't have happened without Jarod. All of the remarkable discoveries- Jarod. To get one, you had to have the other. A life for a life. If only the two could see that. Ever since they were children, they denied that. And that's when this all began. When, Mr Parker, The Chairman of The Centre's daughter became best friends with the young Pretender, Jarod. Everyone in The Centre knew that this friendship could lead to something terrible, and if they were ever to depend on anything, it would be each other. They needed to rely on The Centre for their security or else they just might discover buried secrets that needed rotting. Jarod and Miss Parker, the two most incredible Red Files that anyone had ever come across. If they allied, they would be unstoppable. But of course, she was a Parker and that meant that she would be loyal to The Centre, "'til death do we part."


The Centre, 1971

The starch walls reminded her of death. She was young, but she already knew about the solemn peaks and dark valleys of life. Young Miss Parker was on her way to see her friend, Jarod. This place was far too big. Whatever Daddy did here, she hoped she would never have to know. The young girl turned left down the hall and stopped short when she saw a familiar face walking toward her. His head was down as he read over some files and he was muttering to himself under his breath. Miss Parker giggled and alerted him to her presence. He looked over his clipboard at her, "Well hello Miss Parker. How are you, today?"

"I'm very good, how are you Sydney?"

"Well, I'm just doing a little paper work here."

"Its about Jarod isn't it? What do you write about him? Why is he here? Can I see him?"

"One question at a time, little lady. I have a feeling you're going to be a very demanding woman one day Miss Parker."

"I do too. Well?"

"Well, yes it is about Jarod. You've already been told countless times, Miss Parker, that Jarod is special and we want to know what we can learn from him."

"I know that's not the whole truth. I have a way of knowing these things, Sydney. And anyway, you never answered the last question. Can I see him?"

"Well Miss Parker, Jarod just finished working-"

"But Sydney! I haven't seen him in forever!"

"You just saw him four days ago. And besides, I never said you couldn't," he smiled compassionately at the little girl, "but be quick Miss Parker. He does need to rest after simulations."

Her eyes lit up with the same glint that he had seen in Catherine's eyes so many times. The light was so familiar and he knew that one day, she would run this place with the power of her father and the compassion of her mother. He smiled at the little girl, the little girl whom he thought of as his own. She was skipping off to visit with the little boy he thought of as his own. They were two of the dearest people in his life and he would be sure to protect them from harmful elements of the world, just like any loving father would. Seeing her turn the corner, Sydney headed back to his office with little girls skipping through his thoughts.

A smile was pasted to the face that peaked around the corner. A little boy was sitting at a desk in the middle of an isolated room. He looked up and instantly greeted her with an enormous gleaming smile.

"Miss Parker!"

"The one and only," she said.

"What?"

"Never mind, Jarod. I have something important to tell you."

"What is it?"

"I can't tell you here," she whispered in his ear, "come on!"

Jarod looked curious but also worried. Nothing had ever been so important that she couldn't say in front of the constant cameras, but he followed her anyway. The two children set off to the darkest corner of the room and were greeted with a pair of dark blue eyes and a shy voice, "Mmh, follow. Safe here," the little boy said.

"Thanks Angelo, can you help us get this off?" Angelo nodded and the three pried the vent cover off with some effort from both sides. When it finally fell to the ground with a loud clatter, Angelo held his hand out to Miss Parker while Jarod kneeled down to help her up. She clasped Angelo's tiny hand and felt Jarod lift her up. When she was up, the two on top held their arms down to help the Pretender. Eventually, they were all in the vent and Angelo began to wander away.

"Where is he going, Miss Parker?"

"We need to follow him," she replied instantly.

"How do you always know these things. Its like you have a sixth sense or something."

"I don't know. Mama says I have a gift but its different from yours."

Angelo's thumping against the metal inclosure was becoming more distant so they quickly picked up the pace. After about ten minutes of chasing Angelo in seemingly circles there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Curious, Jarod stopped and inquired his friend as to what could be creating such a great source of light so deep in an air ventilation system.

"You're so professional, Jarod. Lighten up a bit. This is what I wanted to show you."

She grasped his hand and pulled him closer to the opening in the vents. They could hear wind and once they got closer, could feel it. They were huge fans. They were in the center of the system and not only were there colossal fans on two walls, but complete glass on the other two and the ceiling. Jarod's eyes widened. He was seeing the outside world. He glanced toward Miss Parker who was simply smiling in anticipation of his reaction. Jarod ran to the window and stared out into the gorgeous outdoors. The sky had never looked bluer to anyone and the trees never so lush and green. He felt the wind of the fans, but for all he knew it was a fresh and salty breeze from the adjacent ocean. Every cloud, every beam of light, every soaring bird was a remarkable sight for the innocent eyes virgin to such a glorious everyday sight.

"You can blink now. It won't disappear," she said with a smile.

"This is so amazing, so-so incredible, extraordinary, astonishing. I-I can't believe I'm seeing the outside world. This is where you swing with your mother."

"Yeah. The sun will set soon, and that is what you really need to see. Oh, and the waves. Watch them, too. Pretty huh?"

Jarod tore his eyes away from the world after a moment of absorption and put them back on his own.

"Why did you show me this?"

"Because you deserve to see something as beautiful as our world! I thought that was obvious."

"Yeah, our world," he paused, "you said you needed to tell me something."

"I do," she paused and looked at the buckles on her shiny black shoes, "I'm not even supposed to be seeing you right now. My father said that I have been spending too much time with you. He said that I'm distracting and infecting you with ideas and visions of the outside. So I decided to really show it to you!"

"But isn't that exactly what he told you not to do."

"Mhm."

"Oh. Well, does this mean that you won't be seeing me as much anymore?" Jarod inquired innocently.

"No. It means that I can't see you- at-at-at all," she sputtered out. Her eyes were full of tears as she looked back into the eyes of her friend.

"What?! But- you have to come here with your father. How can you be so close and so far at the same time?"

"I'm not going to be here anymore. He's sending me to boarding school," her jaw twitched as she held back the tears that threatened to fall, "In Europe!"

"Europe! And this is all because of me. I'm so sorry," Jarod said.

"No. It's not your fault. I shouldn't have come so often."

"I shouldn't have encouraged you then."

"It doesn't matter. I just- I had to show this to you sort of like a good bye gift."

"But- I don't want you to say good bye."

The silence spoke enough, but the forgotten Angelo spoke up from the corner.

"Daughter go. Sad. Jarod sad."

The three silently sat down cross-legged in front of the window with Miss Parker in the middle. Slowly, they watched the sun fade away along with their friendship. Everything that they had ever relied on for happiness was leaving, one another. When the stars appeared in the dark night sky they knew that their time was limited, but each was afraid to voice their concerns first in fear that then, it would really be over.
"They must be down here, Sir!" a voice penetrated their meaningful silence. The children immediately bolted to their feet and stared at each other in disbelief that it was really time to say good-bye. Angelo hurried out the opposite air vent, but the other two children couldn't leave so abruptly. After slight hesitation, neither could bear the silence any longer.

"Good-bye Jarod!" Miss Parker said with blurry vision as she threw herself into his embrace.

"Good-bye Miss Parker," he enunciated slowly into her soft chestnut hair. He could hear her trying to stifle her cries.
Sweepers instantly clouded their little room and broke their bond. They were torn apart and Mr. Parker's gruff face was blood red as he saw his daughter crying.

"What the hell do you think you're crying for, huh!?" he asked his weeping daughter, "Answer me!"

"I-," she took a deep ragged breath, "I just am going to miss all of this. I know you said not to not to see J-Jarod again, but I had to say good-bye. I had to, Daddy."

"No daughter of mine will be seen crying over one of my projects! We'll discuss this at home. And you," he indicated the sweepers holding Jarod, "take him back to his cell and don't get him any dinner. He was never to see the outside world and now he has been spoiled! Damn it! Get him out of here, now!"

The sweepers followed his orders without protest as usual. Jarod turned his head back towards Miss Parker and mouthed a final good-bye before she did the same. His view was lost as he was thrown out of the air vents like a dirty rag doll. That was the last time he ever spoke with his best friend.