Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The walls were damp and cool against Jarod's back as he sat up and leaned against it for support. He felt around him and realized he was on a large metal slab that he assumed was supposed to mimic a real bed. His surroundings spun due to the after effects of the sedative. It didn't take a genius to realize that he was back. The Centre had really out done themselves this time. A constant ray of red light shone bright down towards Jarod reminding him of the hundreds of eyes that it represented. The doorway was electronically sealed and a thumbprint scan was stationed above that. Apparantly just as he wasn't able to leave, a limited number of monsters were able to get in to torment him. Aside from the faint light coming in through the small window in the door, all that he could see by was the camera light. He tried to sit up and the cruel music of the handcuffs that bound him reminded him of his fate to be. He wondered what The Centre had planned for him. They knew that he would refuse to do any simualations that they presented him with, so that didn't leave much to hope for. The anticipation of his fate was even more terrible than knowing it. Jarod remembered telling Kyle this once before. Kyle, his lost brother, had been killed by Lyle years ago, and yet the pain and guilt had never really faded at all.

Jarod shifted his view from the door and realized that he was not alone in his cell. The warmth that he felt against his left leg was a very unconcious Miss Parker. She was slumped against the opposite corner of the tiny cot that he was now sitting on. Jarod realized that he had not only put himself back into this place, but Parker was going to suffer for his mistakes as well. It tore at his concience that he had pushed and pushed for her to leave The Centre, and then he had got her right back where she started only worse. This time, she was a prisoner just like him. Now he wondered what they were planning not only for him, but for Parker as well. Hopefully her father would have some variation of mercy. He doubted though that Mr. Parker would forgive his daughter for trusting 'Centre property' and not her own father. A digital shrill suddenly sounded in his ears, shaking him from his thoughts. He watched carefully as Parker shifted and opened her eyes. She tried to sit up but couldn't manage with the after effects of the sedative The Centre had used and the handcuffs she wore. Jarod reached over and pulled her up by the shoulder. She slightly nodded once to show her thanks in her own Parker manner. As their eyes met, they both heard the sound of metal against rust as the door creaked open and a shadow appeared on the ground of their cell. The chilling voice followed,
"Comfortable?"

"Just missing the french poodle," Miss Parker replied in a tired voice.

"I'll arrange for one ASAP, Sis," Lyle said with his wicked smile.

"Don't ever remind the public of that unfortunate relation."

"This isn't the public, its Centre employees, one of their pets, and you."

"Since when has Hell not been considered open to the public?"

"In case you have forgotten, you are no longer in a position for cynical remarks like these, Miss Parker," Lyle reminded her. She put one of her fake plastic smiles on and abruptly stripped it off again.

"Someone's unusually quiet. At a loss of words today, Jarod?" The Pretender looked up.

"Only if you're at a loss of Asian women," he replied calmly. Parker smiled at the wise crack.

Lyle leaned in so that the cameras couldn't pick up his sound and he whispered threatenly, "I'd watch what I said if I were you. Things like that could put someone on their death bed."

"I'm too valuable to you for you to kill me now." Lyle smiled.

"But," he began, "She is not."

Jarod's smile vanished and his eyes narrowed. He was not going to jeapordize Miss Parker's life even more.

"That's what I thought."

"What do you want, Lyle?"

"I want you," he replied simply. The anguish showed in his eyes when he heard these three words as he returned his gaze to a puddle on the ground. Miss Parker shuddered. It was only two days ago that she had said words so much like these about Jarod. Now, she couldn't if she tried.

"What do you want?" she repeated slowly.

"What I want is for the two of you to refrain from asking so many questions. You'll know your fate when you are meant to."

"I was always taught to question," Jarod reminded his enemy.
"And I was born to snoop. I believe you know that already," Miss Parker said.

"Shutup!"

"Alright, but I must warn you- I've never been good at that." Jarod smiled. The two made quite a team when it came to phsycing an enemy out. Lyle growled in the back of his throat before he turned around and left in a cloud of steam. Obviously, the duo was not high on his list of friends though they were certainly number one on his long list of victims.

"Well that went well," Jarod began, "Parker. Parker I'm so sorry." He hung his head down in guilt.

"Sorry for what?" she whispered in return.

"For- for doing this to you. If it weren't for me, you wouldn't be here getting pneumonia waiting for Lyle to determine where your life is going."

"Jarod, this isn't your fault. Jesus, why do you always have to blame every late pizza delivery on yourself!? This is The Centre's fault. Our lives have been molded by The Centre and as soon as we stepped out of the ten by ten square they had set, they decided to clip our wings to make sure that we could never leave!" Parker's face was full of grief and remorse now.

"I'm sorry, Parker," he whispered. There were tears in her eyes as she reached her arm up to move a stray strand of hair out of her face.

"Ouch!" she yelped, very out of character, "There's something wrong with my shoulder! What did those bastards do to me?!"

Jarod gently removed the lock of hair from her face and smoothly turned her around while avoiding her injury. As he moved his left hand to examine, he also gave a yelp of pain. She turned around again.

"Jarod-"

"Shh. Let me see."

She faced the wall again and Jarod pulled the neck of her shirt back until her shoulder blade was exposed enough for Doctor Jarod to examine.

"Oh my God," he muttered shaking his head.

"What? What is it, Jarod?"

"Those bastards."

"Jarod!? Am I going to die or something!?"

"Not technically."

"What?"

"The Centre has decided not to ever lose track of us. I'm guessing that this square infected area of skin is the reminince of your latest surgery."

"Surgery?"

"A tracking device. This chip will always keep you close, unless I get it out for you. I'm guessing they did the same thing to me."

Parker turned back around and scanned Jarod's shoulder. Sure enough, a puffy red area of skin immediatly caught her sight.

"Can you get them out?" she said, shaking her head.

"Not here, " he said looking around, "but when we get out."

"You sound so sure that we will get out."

"Aren't you?"

"Have you not noticed the rennovations on security they've formed here in Alcatraz recently?"

"I doubt they'll send the bloodhounds or that we'll need to swim across a newly fabricated sea."

"I know I know. I just- I've just never been the victim before."
"You have, just not in the same way as me," Jarod explained.

After a brief pause, Miss Parker began again, "Well what does Boy Wonder think these twisted disturbed sociopaths are going to do to us?"

"I don't know. And that's worse than knowing."