Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Jarod stepped out of the humid bathroom to the words of his laptop. "You've got mail." Curious, Jarod raked a hand through his damp hair and ambled over to his computer. Clicking the flashing mailbox, he wondered who could have sent him a message as the hourglass refilled itself again and again. When the message finally made its appearance, he leaned forward and read:

Friend must help Daughter. Danger.
Son and Daddy angry. Want to hurt daughter.
Hurry.
CJ


There was no mistaking who had sent this cryptic message, but what it meant, Jarod wasn't sure. Daughter was obviously Parker as he was Friend. Apparantly Miss Parker was in danger and he needed to help her. She hadn't said where she was going, but he had to try. He gathered their stuff and returned the key to their room. Hopping into the midnight blue car they had made their escape in only a night ago, he reached for his phone.

"This is Sydney," answered the accented voice.

"Sydney-"

"Why Jarod, twice in one day. I'm shocked."

"I have good reason. I recieved a warning from Angelo that said Miss Parker was in grave danger. I have to find out what is going on. Get Broots to check the mainframe for any plans they might have on what they're going to try to do to Parker."

"I'll see what I can find out. Make sure you find her in time, Jarod."

"I will find her," he said firmly before hanging up.

When Jarod finally saw signs of human life, he stopped at the nearest, most expensive, store that he could find. Bursting through the doors like a convict on the run, he went to the nearest cashier he could find. The teenager was wearing a baseball cap backwards hiding his fake blonde highlights. The nametag he wore said Nick on it in large capital letters.

"Excuse me, sir, have you seen a tall brunette lately? Very ummm- demanding woman."

"Umm... yea," he responded, "She was here."

"Well, is she still here?" Jarod asked exasparated, "It's very important that I find her. It could be a matter of life or death."

"Really? Cool." Jarod stared in shock as the boy continued, "What are you a cop or something?"

"That's not important. Please, I don't have much time."

"I remember her coming in and I couldn't find her the right size that she wanted. She started yelling, but I forget what she was sayin'. She was hot," he droned on.

"Do you remember her leaving?"

"No."

"Thanks, I think" Jarod replied as he started into the store. Heading to the vast supply of women's clothing, he stopped short when he saw a brunette over some racks, but it wasn't Parker. He started to become desperate as he reached the end of the women's department. An idea suddenly popped into his head though. Turning around, he waltzed to the changing rooms and stopped right outside the entry. Listening for voices, he made sure no one was watching him as he slipped in. All of the rooms were vacant. Frustrated, Jarod made his way to the back of the store. The red exit sign flashed invitingly. Figuring he had nothing better to try, he made his way out the door.

"No, Jarod!"

He heard the voice of Parker, and tried to find its source but couldn't. Where was she?

"Run, Jarod!"

"Where are you, Parker?!" He had to find a way to get to her, wherever she was.

A batch of sweepers suddenly appeared around him headed by Raines and Lyle. But it was Cox's voice that Jarod heard.
"I knew you would come for Parker. You're too predictable when someone is in need," Cox said from the roof where another three sweepers were guarding Miss Parker.

Jarod's face was cluttered with a cloud of disbelief and fear. It was a trap. The whole thing had been a trap and Parker was the bait for him. The Centre finally knew how to catch him. Parker.

"Welcome back home, Jarod," Raines greeted the Pretender with an evil grin.

"I'm not going anywhere with you," Jarod informed him.

"Oh, but how wrong you are," Lyle replied, "We have many brand new uses for you."

"Cooked up some new ways to exploit me, Lyle?"

"As a matter-of-fact, yes we have. I wouldn't call it exploiting persay."

"What would you call it? Imprisonment, experimentation?"

"We have a right to do whatever we want to do to our property," Raines filled in.

"No," Jarod muttered as he instinctivly backed away from his enemies, but only to back in to Sam and another extremly tall sweeper with red hair. Jarod was grabbed by his elbows and shoulders as he made an attempt to break free of his capturers.

"Jarod! Don't just stand there like you've got gas! Get the hell out of there!" Parker ordered.

"Shutup!" Said the sweeper on her right before forcing a heavy blow to her stomach. She sank to the ground moaning. Jarod instantly stopped his movements.

"Parker," he whispered under his breath as he stared up at the chaos on the roof. Realization finally kicked in as he realized that this was it. He was going back to The Centre. Closing his eyes, he dropped to his knees as a blow identical to Miss Parker's impacted. The sweepers dragged his limp body to where Raines and Lyle stood smiling. Jarod looked up into their cold eyes and shook his head, "You can't do this."

"Too late, Jarod. Your little game is over."

Dropping his head in misery, Jarod looked down at his feet. He had let Parker down. He had let himself down. This was his fault that Parker was going to have to go back to The Centre. The sweepers dragged him to the black town car. Though he could have carried himself there physically, he could never have forced himself to go internally. He was shoved into the car after Lyle stepped in majestically and he felt them wrestle Parker into the seat next to him a moment later. Raines, Cox, and Sam parked themselves across from the trio. Jarod and Parker exchanged solemn looks before they watched freedom fade away in the distance.