Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A week had gone by. Miss Parker knew she should call Sydney by now, and let him know what was going on. She knew she should be searching for Emily. She knew she should be figuring out what Raines' latest crooked plan was. More importantly, she knew she shouldn't be simply loitering around the surveillance room, waiting for Jarod to return to his cell. She knew they were doing something to him, and she would bet everything she owned that it was something horrific. But here she was, back in her perfectly pressed suit and stilleto heals, completely numb to the Hell hole she was trapped in.

*****

"Augh!" a mixture of nonsensical syllables and letters erupted from Jarod's mouth as he took another slam from the sweeper's foot. He had been moved to a much whiter, brighter, more terrifying room where two mindless sweepers chiseled away at his dignity, doing whatever popped into Briggite's head. Raines was nowhere to be seen, which should have been a comforting thought to the lifeless genius, but somehow he knew that it only meant there were worse things to come.

"You're making this far too difficult, Jarod." Briggite took steps closer to Jarod, where he sat in a wooden chair, his arms wound around and handcuffed to the back of it. Taking great strides, she lifted her legs above his and came down so that she was sitting in his lap. Jarod could only stare down at the ground as if he didn't notice this strange predicament. His neck had nearly given up on holding his head up straight in the past few days anyway.

She grabbed his chin and turned his face toward hers where he stared at her with dull, bored eyes. "You listen. This is not complicated at all. You tell us where Sydney, Molly, and Mr Broots are, and your life will be far more pleasant. However, if you choose not to tell us, then well, just keep in mind that we hold your sister here as well. We wouldn't want anything tragic to happen to her would we?"

Jarod cocked his head at the patronizing speech, and growled in response. "With the high regard you people hold my intelligence in, it's amazing how stupid you obviously take me for. Why would I risk the lives of three good people to save my sister? I love her, but I don't do trade-ins.Why would I believe that you would kill my sister? You had her before and you didn't and you're not going to now because you know she's the only bargaining chip you've got left. Why would I do anything you people want when all I get in return are lies and betrayal?"

"Because!" Briggite gripped him by the scalp, igniting a sharp yelp from her victim, "that is what you're supposed to believe!"

She threw his head back and pushed herself off of him and stormed out of the room, her team flocking behind her, leaving Jarod panting and alone. He was glad that they wanted to know where the others were because that meant they were still okay. But he was really sick of handcuffs, sick of these walls everywhere closing in on him. Every breath seemed to be an effort lately. He thought about how he was going to get out of here, what the hell he was going to do when he did, what they were going to ask of him next. He thought about Miss Parker more than anything. The image of her standing with them, her eyes refusing to meet his. He could see it every time he closed his eyes. He thought they had been growing together since they had started running. But it had all been a lie. No, it hadn't. He knew it hadn't. He had seen things in her eyes he hadn't since they were children. It was crazy. None of it made any sense.

Jarod knew though, that when things didn't make sense, he had something wrong. Everything made sense if you just had all the pieces of the puzzle. Something was just missing and until he could figure out what that piece was, he would continue this robotic way of living. He couldn't even sleep; she followed him there, too. Paker had to know the hold she had on him. That's how she had done it. She knew.

Jarod groaned and quickly his groan grew into a frustrated scream as he slammed his hands against his restraints. No answer.

*****

A hand helped to lift her up, helped her climb into the darkness. It was better than where she was, that was for sure. She knew him now, trusted him. So she followed him through the maze and let him take her wherever he desired. Nowhere could be worse right? She heard the screams, that familiar voice and she turned, wanting to follow it. But the man in front of her shook his head violently, so she obeyed. Clearly, he knew more than she did. They kept crawling and she felt like she'd be in the darkness forever. Always searching, always pining for another way out.

*****

"How's it going, doctor?" Raines wheezed. The doctor held his clipboard tightly.

"Just as we'd hoped and quite smoothly. The short recovery time has been miraculous. It makes you wonder."

"With this one, it's predictable." The squeaks of the oxygen tank's wheels signaled the bald man's exit and the doctor breathed a sigh of relief, turning to change the IV bag.

*****

"This is Sydney," the familiar timbre of his voice comforted her instantly, but it also ignited the deep pit of guilt within her. "Is anyone there?"

"I'm here, Syd," she uttered begrudgingly.

"Miss Parker, you're all right!" his voice was so excited, "how are Jarod and Emily? How did you escape?"

She knew that's what he would ask her and she took a deep breath before speaking, "I can't talk long. The ears everywhere you know."

"Ears? You're not still in The Centre are you?"

"That would be horrible wouldn't it?" she clicked the pen she was holding as she swung around in her chair to face the sea behind her, "remember when Jarod went on about waves and everything that went on beneath them and all that crap?"

"Vaguely, Miss Parker, what are you getting at?"

"Well, I get it now. I get what he was going off about. And they're me."

"Parker, you're worrying me. Is everything okay?"

"No, Syd, it's not. And it never will be. I get that now." She bit her lip, waiting for his reaction.

"Something has happened to you. I don't know what it is, but you know you can talk to me about it." Sydney was slipping into Freudian mode and she couldn't handle that right now.

"No, you know what, I can't talk to you. Because they'll know and they're probably listening right now. I am still at The Centre because this is where I belong and as for Jarod and Emily. Well, hell if I know what's going on with them, but they're here, somewhere. And don't you worry Syd, I'm sure Jarod is pissing someone off as we speak. The little rat never knows when to just shut his mouth." The look in her eyes was manic, but Sydney didn't need to see that to know that she was losing it. Losing everything.

"I don't know what to say."

Miss Parker started laughing, actually laughing, "I don't think I've ever heard you say those words before, Sydney. It's refreshing actually. But listen, I didn't call you to inform you how your precious pretender is doing. I called to tell you to come back, that I can get you your job back, and keep you alive in the process. Jarod's pissing everyone off and the only one who can tolerate his mind games is you. In fact, I'm pretty sure you inspired that very annoying feature in him. Basically, your psycho babble is the only thing we've got on him."

"I can't believe you're saying these things. What has happened to you? These are harsh words from the woman I saw splashing around in a lake with Jarod merely weeks ago."

"Hey! You don't know anything about that, or this. Please, just come back. And bring Mr Yahoo chats with you, too."

"No, Miss Parker. I don't know what provoked this insanity, but you've changed, and not in a good way. I've always believed that deep down, you would always follow the instincts your mother gave you. Apparently I was wrong, and that part of you isn't as important as I had hoped. Goodbye, Miss Parker."

The dial tone was a knife to her ear and she quickly slammed it down to the receiver. She couldn't think straight, she could hardly breathe. Her life was falling apart, and quickly.

*****

She took his hand once again as he lifted her into the sunlight. It felt so good on her skin and she smiled, accepting the good the world still had to offer for just a moment. She noticed there was a dark vehicle about twenty yards away and he was running to it, so she quickly followed suit. They reached the door, and she threw it open but found only disappointment, turning toward him.

"There's no key in there, it's no good."

But there was good, for he beamed as he pulled the shining metal out of his pocket and pressed it into her palm. Her mouth opened with shock and she smiled, grabbing him with the overwhelming joy of this jagged, crucial piece of metal. He threw his hands up awkwardly, not knowing how to react.

"Thank you," she said with more sincerity than any other statement of gratitude that had ever been uttered. He jerked away then, bolting for the open manhole, and coveing it quickly. She was afaid that meant that they were coming so she slipped into the car and started the engine, roaring down the dirt road until she reached the highway, where she drove even faster, her heart racing the entire time.

*****

"Cree craw toad's foot," Jarod paused for a long moment, "geese walk... barefoot."

He'd been singing or humming that tune for over an hour when the door Briggite had exited out of opened hesitantly. But it wasn't Briggite who re-entered. It was her.

"Miss Parker, my how wonderful it is to see you," he greeted her in a loud chipper voice, "Your hair looks nice and wow did you buy a new outfit? Violet and black are just so becoming on you."

She knew he was badgering her out of his own pain, and the fact that he was trying this hard to cover it up made her ache, "Looks like you've been having just as much fun as I have. Been playing bondage with Briggite?"

"She didn't like the way I played her game."

"More like she refused to play yours, right Jarod?"

He shrugged, something which was clearly a painful effort for him. She stood with her legs apart and her hands clasped behind her back, head cocked slightly, taking him in completely. He was in bad shape. Physically and emotionally, she could tell he'd been tormented non-stop.

"So the word is, you refuse to spill the beans on the rest of the calvary. And that you're being a real pain in the ass about it, too."

"What I wonder," Jarod began, "is why they don't just ask you?"

She stared at him coldly, "Maybe they could if you hadn't drugged me when we separated from them."

Jarod laughed, "Right, of course I did. That was all part of the brilliant deranged pretender's plan."

"Apparently so," she stepped forward and knelt down so that she was looking up at him, as if she were speaking to a child, "We'll let bygones be bygones, Jarod, if you just buckle up and accept the fact that you're stuck here and you have work to do."

His chocolatey eyes held a curious look in them. Could it be contempt? Miss Parker didn't know, but whatever it was, she didn't like it. She was wary of the camera behind her, but she hoped he could read into her eyes. She quickly realized he could though, because he looked so confused. Her eyes were wide, begging him. But shouldn't it be the other way around?

"You know me, Parker. You know how this conversation is going to end."

"Yes," she slurred out slowly, her eyes never faltering in their beckoning, "I do."

The Centre's princess backed away from him, never breaking the lock she had on his gaze. He watched her, fascinated, until she turned and disappeared out the door. He sighed and looked around him, looking for what he didn't know. Somehow, though, he knew there was something new here.

*****

"She would never!" Molly cried.

"I wouldn't lie to you," Sydney grabbed her forearms, "believe me I didn't want to hear it either. They must have persuaded her to join them somehow. I just can't imagine what sort of bargaining chip would be worth Jarod and Emily's lives."

"Nothing! This is absurd. It's wrong."

Broots sat listening, words having escaped him. He admired Miss Parker, respected her. He knew there was more to her than any of them could ever understand. This was certainly beyond their understanding.

"We've got to find a way to get them out of there ourselves," Sydney said calmly, walking toward the window nearby, staring out blankly "it's the only chance they've got. Broots?"

"Well, um, it's going to be beyond difficult with us being out here. It's a lot easier to work, to accomplish things, from you know, the inside," he stared at his thumbs, the ones he was literally twiddling.

Sydney threw his hands out and turned to face them both. "We've got to try. I won't stand by while they purge him of what little life he's been able to have."

*****

"I will work on him more tomorrow. He's unsettled now, curious. He doesn't know what's coming and he hates that feeling. Trust me," Miss Parker glared at the old balding man. They stood in the elevator, an elevator she had never shared with this man before, and that was no accident.

"You know what happens when people put their trust in the wrong hands around here, Miss Parker."

They didn't have to look at the holes in the wall. They'd seen them often enough over the years. Miss Parker's arms remained crossed as the doors opened with a chime and he dragged his tank along behind him as he left, turning to face her as he spoke.

"You had better be right."

She returned his threat with a classic plastic grimace and boiling eyes as the doors shut.

*****

The song Jarod hummed was always comforting, and that's what he needed now more than ever. The darkness was choking him, and he missed the sun more than ever. He was back in his original cell. He was staring at the camera high in the corner near the door, as if continuing the staring game he'd started with Miss Parker hours before. The red light faltered suddenly, and his humming stopped. Camera lights don't falter without a reason, without tampering. If anyone was aware of this fact, it was Jarod.

The ventilation grate above Jarod's head suddenly flipped open, clattering against the wall as it hung. It was too high for Jarod to reach, though the thought had been taunting him for days. A rope flung out though, and Jarod's eyes lit up. Angelo had come to rescue him.

He grabbed the rope and pulled himself up, using his bare feet to belay himself up toward the hole 20 feet up. He ignored the flaring tempers of his protesting muscles and soon he had rolled into the hole in a heap of limbs and body.

"Graceful."

Jarod looked up at the most beautiful site he'd ever seen. Miss Parker had done this.

"You look like a dead goldfish I had when I was eight, shut your mouth and follow me. There's not much time." She turned away, but Jarod grabbed her.

His eyes were almost in tears, "I'm sorry I believed it."

She shook her head, "There's no time, Jarod. You've gotta get out of here."

She started running, her hair flying wildly behind her as Jarod struggled to keep up, his body so ragged from the weeks' events. Then they were in the center of the ventilation system. The place where she had brought him so many years before. They stood there, panting, noticing the night surounding them but looking only at each other.

"You know the way from here," she said.

"What? Parker, no. Come with me."

Miss Parker grabbed his hand, "I made a discovery when I was sitting in that cell alone for so long while they tortured you. Only one of us can leave this place at a time. It's the only way we'll ever win."

"What?? No. You. No. The only way we'll win is together. You have to know that. I need you. I need your help. This is crazy." His voice was cracking and she could hardly stand it.

"We can't accomplish what needs to be done from outside The Centre. Somebody has to be in here, finding the truth, the truths we both need. And that someone sure as hell isn't you. Go to Sydney and Broots, and the three of you with my sister can help me from outside. It will take time, but it's the only way. Tricking you was the only way anyone would let me back in here. I've got to be here, Jarod. I've got to find the truth. That's why my mother stayed here for so long. That's why I have to stay."

Both their eyes were brimming with liquid by now and the tears felt like fire to Miss Parker's eyes. Jarod was shaking his head.

"No. She stayed to rescue me, and you've already done that. Please come with me. We'll find another way. I can find another way." His hands were running up and down her arms at this point and she knew she was trembling just as bad as he was.

"I'm no Broots, Jarod. The camera loop will end soon and they're going to notice. You've gotta go. I'm not going with you."

He stared at her with his face, half covered by the grown facial hair, was crinkling with emotions turning over and over. It was clear that he couldn't move.

"Jarod, do you love me?" her voice was strong suddenly.

Jarod was completely stunned and he stood there, eyes wide, breathing paused.

"If you love me, you'll go."

Time froze for a moment, but Jarod's feet started shuffling away from her and she knew that she'd said the right thing. He faded into the shadows and she held her breath as she watched him go. But the sound of aluminum thumping at a running pace, coming toward her instead of away, caught her attention and before she knew it, he was back. His eyes were determined, and he ran straight at her, slipping one hand around to the back of her neck and the other cupped under her chin, against her cheek. He pulled her into a violent, passionate kiss. She returned it with as much vigor as she had left in her, framing his face with her own more delicate hands. The intimate action seemed to last minutes, but she knew it had only been possibly ten blessed seconds before he broke away, saying everything that needed saying with those deep troubled eyes of his. Then he turned and disappeared again.

Miss Parker slid back against the wall of the vent and stared out at the night, whispering softly "don't you dare forget about me."