Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
April 14, 1970

Shifty eyes peered through the grate from the top of the elevator shaft. Childlike and mischiefous, they lit up with a recognizable fire when he saw a young girl approach the open doors. Tears rivered down her face and it was obvious the young child had not stopped her weaping since she had been dragged away from this place only about 12 hours ago. And yet, here she was, back again. It was too soon. The mysterious eyes changed position as the viewer cocked his head. The little girl shifted her feet in anticipation, as though her mother would simply walk out and make everything all right again. That's the way it was supposed to be. But that's not the way it was. A shriek pierced through the dense silence as the child stamped her feet in frustration and propelled a crumpled up piece of paper into the elevator. Taking a deep breath, she internally vowed something, something the boy could not absorb, to herself with a glint of determination frosting around her eyes, until at last, there was a mutated person there. Whoever had been there before, no longer was.

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
3:46 AM

Angelo slunk back into the corner of the shadows, where the truth didn't exist, but neither did the lies. Something kept Miss Parker rooted to the metal floor, the ventilation. Something compelled her to remain there while Angelo scooted about on his business. Sure enough, he returned shortly with something clutched in his sweaty palm. Miss Parker took the piece of paper once he had presented it to her. After undoing the many jumbled creases, she examined the aged composition. Once realizing what it was, the 30 something year old woman sank to her knees and bawled like she never had before. One long cry could never compensate for the years of repressed emotions that were built up inside her, deeper than any cry could dig. Then, Angelo knelt down beside the broken woman, who had cried more in the last week than ever before in her life. He grasped a hold of her shoulders and tipped her chin upwards until they made eye contact through the misty portal. The crying continued as he swept her into an embrace. Angelo, her sweet Angelo.

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
3:48 AM

The brother-sister duo swept through the halls of The Centre, retracing their steps until they were certain that they were retracing the path of Miss Parker. Jarod knew that Angelo would be of monumental help if they were ever going to get those files and documents from the mainframe control room. Parker had covered her tracks well, so he was simply guessing as to where she had decided to go. Emily trailed behind him as he ushered her through the air vents, neither quite sure where they were heading. Soft sobs echoed through the dark tunnels, but didn't indicate where they originated. They only caused more confusion, but they knew they were close. Something impelled Jarod to turn and then turn again and at long last, there was a weak light at the end tunnel.

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Parker Manor
April 13, 1970

Her father was on the phone downstairs, arguing with some people about finances. Something about a will. Sitting cross-legged on her bed, was a timid little girl, lacking in life that had been so powerful only a few hours ago. Now, at the late night hour, the house was missing one person. It was amazing to the little girl how the house could suddenly become so empty and dark. It felt as if the temperature had plummeted ever since she had stepped into the house with her father. Eerie wasn't even a respectable enough word for how strange this new feeling was. In fact, the feeling wasn't that, it was nothing. She just felt numb. Almost in shock. Mama would've hugged and carried her, or atleast held her hand in hers. But, Daddy, nothing. The brunette child reclined back onto her pillow, shifting it until it was under her chin and allowing her legs to dangle over the side of her bed. The tears flowed without thought of stopping. They hadn't since the tragedy hours ago. Daddy didn't seem to be very bothered by it. He had been on the phone talking people ever since. 'Life goes on.'

Scrounging up a piece of paper from the floor, she placed her sharpened #2 pencil tip to the page, hesitating slightly. She slowly printed two words at the top of the page and then in an act of rage, began scrawling whatever came to mind onto the paper.

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
3:51 AM

Jarod's pace intensified when he knew he was going in the right direction. He knew whose cries those were, and was determined to comfort his friend, since she had rarely let him before. Once exiting the narrow tunnel, he halted at the sight before him.

Angelo had his arms embracing the distressed woman, or little girl at heart. The heart that had to be penetrated with a sledgehammer to be reached beneath the icy layers. A painful grimace held its place on Jarod's face as Miss Parker looked up once hearing Emily plop out of the vent. Miss Parker stared only at Jarod until he himself knelt down with his only childhood friends. They made a threesome hug in which Miss Parker was sandwitched between the two, the only two who had ever understood her pain. Emily watched from the side and noticed a crumpled piece of paper laying dismissed on the floor. She casually picked it up and read with saturated eyes:

April 13, 1970

Dear Mommy,

Why did you leave me? Daddy says your not coming back. Please come back, Mama. Its so lonly here and I'm very sad. Daddy said not to be sad because it only lets the hurt in, but I am sad and hurt. I am angry to. They wouldn't let me help you. Even Sydney stopped Jarod. We could have saved you! We could have done something. I saw the blood and you lying on the floor and the guard taking me away and then Daddys face. He hardly looked sad, Mama! He looked like he knew all ready. Did you know it to? Mama, I'm sorry I was bad. I'll be good now. I promise. My heart hurts now like you said it does when you're sad. Please come back, Mama! Come back! I need you still.

With all of my love,

Your daughter