Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Miss Parker stood, and finally allowed her dreary eyes to turn away from the only man she had ever known to be her father. Her eyes shifted and rested on Lyle, once known to be her twin brother. This was also proved a lie. Sighing, she didn't even bother to point her gun at him. He already knew not to bother her, that she was her own lethal weapon.

"Its down to just us, Miss Parker," Lyle stated.

"You've been pulled around like a puppet, just like me. Now, I have to decide whether to kill you or not. There's no question as to whether you're dangerous. You've already proved that you are. If I left you be, would you return to The Centre?" Miss Parker tempted.

Hesitating, the malicious look on Lyle's face diminished as the gun fell to his side. Shifting his feet, he replied, "I would have nowhere else to go."

"Go anywhere. Start a new life. Find a family," she wasn't even speaking to him anymore. It was as if her own subconcious had taken control and was lecturing her.

"What about you? Where's your family?" Lyle countered, obviously avoiding the conversation.

At that moment, Molly burst into the room and when she saw the look on her sister's face, remained silent and standing. The brunnette looked up, so much like her mother, and eying Lyle cautiously, whispered, "My family is waiting in the car."

Sydney interjected, "Jarod?"

"I don't know," she affirmed, turning toward the paternal man, "Things have been surreal this week, almost like things used to be when we were children. I need to try something. But, now, we are getting off the subject, which is you, Lyle."

She looked up to where he had been standing and realized he had pulled another disappearing act, "Damn him." Quickly, she sprinted out of the room, ignoring the pleading voices trailing behind her.

*****

"Lyle," Jarod said, with the cold metal of a gun pressed against his temple, "I'm surprised that she let you walk out of there alive."

"Well, it seems that the ice queen has sprouted a heart in the past week thanks to you, Lab Rat. She actually believed that someone like me could just change and go live the Leave it to Beaver life. I'm not as naive as you all."

"You mean you're not willing to take the risk," Jarod stated with a smirk, "but she is."

Lyle reached across the seat of the middle seat of the van in which they sat and pressed down hard on Jarod's wound. With an agonizing moan of pain, Jarod clutched the armrest with white knuckles. A rapping on the window caught his attention and, hunched over slightly, turned to see Miss Parker sliding the door open.

"Hate to crash the party, but I was finished yet," she uttered with the intimidating sarcasm she often threatened with. At this point, there were three adults in the middle seat of the van in the order Miss Parker, Jarod, and Lyle. The latter spoke up.

"What, did you really think that I would just walk away and leave you two to your happily ever afters? I'm bringing your boy in and there's nothing you can do to stop me."

"You're outnumbered, Lyle. The odds are against you," Jarod pointed out.

Lyle laughed, "you are handicapped and Miss Parker is mentally worn. You two don't stand a chance."

"Did I mention that her aim is quite superior to yours as well?" he added.

Lyle took the butt of his gun and slammed it into his already blood soaken wound. The inflicted screamed out in agony and remained silent after that.

"Lyle, do you want me to shoot you?" Miss Parker asked in a voice stunningly serious.

"Do you want me to shoot him?" he replied, just as serious.

The occupants of the vehicle remained silent for a moment until Lyle's door was flung open and he was pulled out onto the grass. They could hear Lyle's grunts as someone kicked him hard in the ribs.

"You stay here," Miss Parker ordered before getting out herself.

Not to her surprise, she saw that it was Emily who was in lack of words, beating the hell out of the man. She watched as Lyle's gun skidded across the dirt ground out of his reach. Like lightening, Miss Parker snatched it into her own hand and stood towering over him as he lay struggling on the ground while Emily got to her feet. With both his and her own gun, she aimed directly at his head and with a faint voice whispered grimly, "first one to the answers--" her voice hovered and without emotion continued, "wins." She punctuated that with a shot into the man's chest, ignoring the scream of agony it ignited.

"I'd say we're finished here," the brunnete tossed his gun to the ground.

Emily looked from the quivering body to the standing one, "I'd say."

"Well, this should guarantee no more disappearing acts. Now, lets go get Sydney and my sister," she said, signalling to Jarod where they were going, who nodded in reply.

Once in the cabin, Sydney inferred the question both he and Molly desired to know, "I hope that shot was yours, Miss Parker."

She nodded and reached to help him stand solemnly, "I killed the only family that I've ever known today."

*****

Only the sound of the motor could be heard in the van as the five survivors continued on their quest to God knows where. Shifting the steering wheel slightly, Molly glanced into the mirror to view the three passengers in the back. Jarod and Emily sat in the middle seat while sister tended to brother's wounds. In the far back, Miss Parker, with chin rested in hand, stared out the window with an agonizing glaze painted across her pained face. Sydney gazed from the front passenger seat at the young blonde and sighed when he saw what it was that had her so mystified. Poor young Miss Parker, his neice. How was he to comfort her when he could never comprehend the pain she was drowning in?

Frustrated, Molly pulled over onto the side of the rural dirt road right before a four-way intersection and still nothing was heard as the engine was cut, save for the crackling of the rocks beneath the tires.

"It would be nice to know where I'm driving to." Molly turned her head back to her passengers expectantly. Miss Parker didn't even acknowledge her sister, instead closing her eyes.

Emily looked to the right, where her older brother sat, delicately wrapping his own wound.

"Where else?" Jarod mumbled.

"What do you mean?" Emily questioned hesitantly.

Miss Parker chuckled slightly in an eerie fashion, "Back to where this peanut trail always begins."

"The Centre," Jarod finished reluctantly.

Sydney glanced at his former pupil, "you've got to be kidding me, Jarod. We can't go back there, especially you."

"Its the only way, Syd. We have got to finish this at last," he sighed, "I'm tired. I'm tired of this. Tired of running. Tired of dodging bullets. I want a real life. And I know that everyone in here wants the same."

"We damn well deserve it," Miss Parker agreed from the back in her less than passive way.

"And what exactly do you plan to do when we get there, genius?" Emily nudged her brother in a playful yet serious manner.

"We find Broots for one thing and get those answers we've sought for so long."

Miss Parker shook her head, "You make it sound so easy. We just traipse into the slaughter house and kindly ask the butcher if we can take our friend with us and oh by the way we need to know everything you've been hiding from us all our lives. Will that be a problem?"

"It does sound rather farfetched, Jarod," Molly said shyly.

Lips parted, Jarod stared out at the window in front of him and a small smile slowly formed. Sydney knew that look. The pretender had an idea.

"That is exactly what we will do, Parker," he stated, leaving the rest of the van's occupants baffled and speechless.