Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Briggite slipped around the corner quickly, the soft cocoa leather of her jacket crinkling, and with develish posture and movement, placed her hand on the silver doorknob. Eyes darting to the left and right, she carefully inspected her surroundings for intruders. When none were found, the blonde opened the door and smiled.

*****

The crisp spring air was blowing against the back of Broots' bald head. He smiled to himself as the ivy green leaves ruffled hurredly, though they wouldn't be going anywhere for a good five months atleast.

"Isn't this weather just clean and refreshing, Deb?" Broots called to his daughter from the front porch, smiling like an idiot. He turned toward the car where the young brunette had just slammed the car trunk shut.

"No. I despise it. It's neither clean nor refreshing," was her blunt response. An eruption of her latest sneeze reminded him of her horrible allergies and his smile quickly deminished.

"Oh, I'm sorry. We'll stop by a drug store on the way home and pick up some medicine for you, okay?"

"You know they never work for me. I take the medicine and it works for a day or two before all I get out of it is the side effects. So then I'm stuck with allergies and the side effects," she moped.

"Uh, I'm sorry. Atleast you'll feel better today," he coaxed cautiously.

She stared at him and Broots could have sworn that there was a Parker stare in those eyes. He decided to begin again, "I uh, I'm going to go tell Sydney we're going. You can wait in the car for me."

He tossed her the keys and she unlocked the door and slumped into the passenger seat. Broots sighed before turning back into the house, feet thumping against the wood floor.

"S-Sydney? We're going to go back now. Are you sure you're okay?"

Sydney looked up from his reading, a book in which Broots had found in the nightstand of his bedroom left from the previous visitor. He smiled a calm parental smile, "I'll be fine, Broots. Molly is here to assist me when I need aid. Besides, I would like to speak with her privately to try and figure out some of her background and history."

"Okay, do you have everything you-"

"I have my reading, my coffee, the cell phone, a quilt. What else could I possibly need, Broots?" he inquired gently so as not to startle the uncertain tech.

"All right. Bye, Syd. Call if you need anything," Broots said while backing away towards the door.

"Have a safe trip. Give Debbie a kiss for me."

"I'll try." The door slammed and Sydney resumed reading his novel.

*****

"Ah, the thrill of the hunt. So satisfying, refreshing," Miss Parker sighed, clutching Mr Smith and Miss Wesson lovingly.

She and Jarod had just climbed a ladder down 26 damn sublevels and the camera would start looping in 30 seconds she had been told.

"You're not hunting, Parker. You're rescuing," Jarod affirmed, "my sister to be exact."

"Fine, it still brings back some excitement though."

"I'm glad you relished in the feeling of hunting me down like a wild animal."

Parker stopped her movements along the corridor. Her eyes turned towards Jarod's behind her, "I didn't mean it like that." Miss Parker's voice was full of sincerity.

This time it was Jarod whose movements ceased, "Did Miss Parker just say she was sorry?"

"Did you hear those words come out of my mouth? Just forget it!" she kept moving, but Jarod caught her arm.

"No. I'm sorry, it was just unexpected. Thank-you, it means a lot to me to know you do care."

"Did you not think I cared at all?" Miss Parker's eyes were wide with shock. This was Jarod. He was supposed to know everything.

"I wasn't sure, but now I am. Come on, we don't have much time before the guards make a fresh round and the camera's loop ends. It started 21 seconds ago."

The two worked well together. They eased around corners and through shadows simultaneously and melted against the frigid walls together. Synchronized, they followed one another toward Emily's cell. Like left and right hand, they each employed their own talents and skills to break into the door without verbal communication. They had learned long ago how to speak without speaking.

Back to back they worked. Jarod calmly breaking the code on the door while Parker eyed all tunnels of trouble that could arise. Like a mother hen guarding her eggs, she shielded herself with the knowledge that no longer was she alone. She and Jarod were getting Emily out of here, securely.

The abrupt signal that the door was open caused her to turn around and she met Jarod's eyes before he pushed it open. Those eyes were anxious, terrified, certain, reassuring, honest, and so many more things that she could have stared into them all day just trying to interpret them. The rusty door creaked open and they stepped into the room.

Looking around, Miss Parker whispered, "Where is she?"

*****

"I'm really starting to lose my appreciation for the recovery ward," Lyle groaned as he opened his eyes to find himself in a room he had grown accustomed to.

"You have been spending an unusually great amount of time in here lately." Mr Parker stated from the chair next to the bed.

"I can't help it. Things are changing very quickly and I'm not sure if that poses well for me, or you for that matter." Lyle attempted to ignore the fact that a young woman, Jarod's sister of all people, had given him a concussion and reopened several wounds to add to his growing collection of fresh ones.

"What are you talking about?" inquired Mr Parker.

Lyle tightened his face muscles and bobbed side to side before saying, "Well, with Miss Parker in the state she-"

"I had nothing to do with that!" he protested.

"The triumvirate may not agree with you." Lyle stretched his arms up relaxedly.

"Why's that?" Mr Parker challenged.

"Because you were the last person she saw before she went off the deep end," he explained.

"Me? This is absurd. You were the last person she saw before Jarod found her." His finger pointed at Lyle accusedly.

"She was already fuming at that point. You pushed her when she found out that we wouldn't be giving her her freedom. I still don't understand why she would think you would give it to her in the first place."

"Things change. I used to have her wrapped around my finger when I was her beloved Daddy. Now," Mr Parker sighed, "things are just different. Jarod has been filling her head with lies."

"So you were manipulating her to your own side. Were they all really lies? Or does that just make you feel better?"

"No!" The chair fell to the ground as he stood abruptly, "she chose her own destiny. And that is what's going to get her killed."

"Do you care?"

"What?" Mr Parker leaned in face-to-face with his disabled son.

"Do you care about what happens to your daughter?" Lyle's eyes were cool fire.

"Of course I care for my children, but this isn't my fault. Its soley hers. You of all people should know that, Son." Once again, Mr Parker tried to make up for his loss of control and replace his temper with soothing parental words.

Lyle swallowed, "Of course."

*****

"Jarod, what hap-" Miss Parker started to say. The room was bare aside from a splatter of blood on the floor. Jarod's eyes looked up to her after noticing this and scrambled to her side.

"Parker, run!" Jarod ordered while tugging at her hand insistantly.

"Why?" Fear started spreading over her smooth features. An uneasy feeling had engulfed the room suddenly, and she could feel it start to damper her senses.

Jarod turned towards the door, "This could be a trap."