Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The woman opened her eyes gently and stretched peacefully until she remembered where she was. She sighed, somehow she always knew she would eventually end up here at some point. She glanced up into the lense, staring straight into her soul, wondering if she would ever be free of this Hell she'd suffered through for so long now. She wanted her family and her freedom. That was all she had ever wanted. Closing her sky-blue eyes she fell back against the sorry excuse for a bed she had been granted by The Centre. Fitting name, they thought they were the center of the world. Well, she hated to admit, but they were the center of her world. One day that would change though. There she lay pondering life, her life. The red head thought back to a time where she had been happy, a time before the world had corrupted her innocent view on life. A time before a cloud had engulfed her only light and her only hope. Her ruby lips curled up and she basked in the memory of their family before she had learned the truth, about her family. The shadow she had been living under. One day, she thought, we will all be back together. All of us, together, happy, and it will not be just a daydream or a memory like those that I rely on today. Sighing she opened her eyes, smile immediately vanishing, surprised to find she was already looking into those of another.

"Good morning, Sweetie."

*****

"Hurry up! I don't want anyone to see me like this, Jarod," Miss Parker's harsh whisper chastised at his negligently slow pace. The two were standing against the wall of the outside of the log cabin they were occupying. Both were completely soaked to the skin, so it was no wonder why Miss Parker was in such a hurry. Then again, she was always in a hurry.

"Broots is in there, typing. I'm not sure exactly what he's doing though," Jarod explained.

"Well, use your amazing Pretending abilities to make him go away before I shoot my way through you."

"All right. One, pretending is not magic, it is logic; you just like to think that its magical because I couldn't possibly be outsmarting you," his eyes shifted to the left and then back to make eye contact with her, "and two, your gun is currently unaccesible, so you're going to have to take that sly remark back."

"Watch it, Jarod. You are tap-dancing on my last nerve," she snarled, hugging her arms around her midsection more tightly in an attempt to trap some heat.

"Now Parker, you know I would never intentionally aggravate you," Jarod protested in a cheerful sing-song voice.

"Hmph," was her skeptic reply.

"Ouch. I'm hurt, Parker," he whined.

"You don't know the meaning of the word. Now lets hurry up the tank engine, Thomas."

"I'm Jarod," he said, looking deeply concerned for her health, "Thomas died a while ago, Parker."

Miss Parker growled in frustration, "I know! You don't have to remind me! Just- nevermind, Jarod!" Exhasperated, she threw her hands up simultaneously and clutched her head, smiling sadly.

"Um, okay." Jarod reached for the handle, but Miss Parker instantaneously slapped his hand away and glared at him like a child reaching for the cookie jar. He started to protest but was silenced by her arm's sudden whip-like movement. His mouth closed and his eyes stared at a pointing index finger before it backtracked to point at herself, implying that she go first.

She silently moved the door across its rail and, like a prowling tiger, entered the room. Broots' back facing her. She could see the moonlight reflecting off of the back of his balding head. She started giggling, but the sound was muffled by Jarod's hand as they crept together towards the door. He smiled when he realized what she found so amusing.

"You're dripping on the floor," Broots said, "what were you doing out there at this time of night anyway? And in the lake? Why?"

"Just taking a dip, Scooby," Parker sighed, Jarod's hand having fallen back to his side.

"Huh?" he replied.

"We fell into the lake, Broots," Jarod interrupted before Miss Parker permanently scarred the poor man.

"Fell? You pulled me, WonderBoy!"

"Yes, from my spot in the water that I had been pushed into."

He crossed his arms in defence. She stared at him, frustrated, before turning around and walking out of the room.
A moment later, she returned, "Where do I sleep?"

"You are asking us?" Broots said in amazement.

"I just don't wanta wind up lying down on an innocent little girl who may already be inhabbiting my bed as we speak."

"Debbie is in the last room. I assumed that she and I w-would share that room. I m-mean if that's all right with you, Miss Parker," Broots mumbled.

"Fine. That leaves one room left-" Jarod began.

"And one couch." Parker walked over to the closet and stood there briefly before tossing Jarod an aged brown and tan quilt and white pillow, "Sweet dreams." And she departed like a cool breeze that had never been there at all.

*****

"What do you want, Lyle?" the woman questioned.

"Is that how you always treat your visitors?" She remained silent, "not even going to open your eyes? Mommy didn't raise you very well."

"Don't speak to me of my mother you son of a bitch."

"That's more like the girl I know. You know who you remind me of?" Once again he elicted no response, "Jarod."

"What do you know about Jarod?" she immediately perked up and sat erect.

"Lots of things. I can share them with you, too. If you share something with me."

"You're a liar, Lyle. Always have been. Always will be."

"It couldn't possibly hurt you to just tell me, so come on. What's the big deal, Hon?"

"Don't call me that! Unlike you, I believe in protecting those I care about before myself. Apparantly it didn't work out for you, judging by the casts on your arm and leg. Maybe it was Jarod who did that. What, he got the best of you again, Lyle?" she grinned a familiar grin to Lyle, too much like that of a pesky Pretender he knew all too well. The worst thing about what she had said is that it was true. Frustrated beyond belief, his eyes darkened and he backhanded the woman across the face, wiping that cocky, smug, smile away as well.

"Don't ever contradict me, Girl! Others aside from yourself will pay for it." He threatened her in a menacing voice, yet she remained strong as stone. Never let on the storm of emotions hurling inside, she thought.

Lyle slammed the door on his exit, this girl reminded him far too much of Jarod. It was irritating. Now, he finally understood what his sister's problem had been with that Pretender.

"Lyle!" a voice echoed down the corridor. Some sweepers stood at attention but he ushered them back.

"Yes," his replied in a smooth proffesional voice.

"How is the search going for Jarod and the others?" Mr Parker inquired as though Lyle were simply another sweeper to order about as he pleased.

"We think they headed south though. Maryland possibly?"

"Possibly isn't good enough. I want them found, Lyle! Do I make myself clear? Or do I need to put Briggite or Cox on the job?"

"Crystal. I'll get right on it, Dad," Lyle cringed as the last word fell off his tongue.

"Good now get back to work. You have no business meddling around over here, this patient has nothing to do with you and your work."

Lyle left and as he paced out of the corridor, no business. What right did he have to tell him what was his business? This was getting out of hand and he would have to end this soon. His vision of light was becoming less and less dim.

*****

Dim sun rays cascaded over her closed eyelids. Debbie sat up slowly, absorbing all the warmth from it that was possible. She groggily glanced over at her sleeping father in the bed next to her. He was clutching his pillow like a lifeline. She had heard voices last night while she had been attempting to fall asleep, something that came to her only with time. Certain that the voices were of Miss Parker and Jarod, she decided to ask about it as soon as she saw them this morning.

Placing her feet onto the cold floorboards she clutched her arms as the cold shot through her young body. After a trip to the bathroom and she was completely dressed, she ventured along the hallway, pulling her warm chestnut hair back into a loose ponytail as she walked. She noticed a portrait of the very lake they were on on the wood paneled wall. Stopping, her gray eyes scanned it and she soon continued on her way. The sun was just coming up, but she didn't care. She was on an adventure away from school and she wanted to watch the sun rise.

Passing by the living room, she was about to head out when she saw Jarod. Beneath a layer of chocolate colors, his figure was lying comfortably against the armrest with his hands clutching the couch on either side of him. She could see beads of perspiration collecting on his forehead as his panting became more rapid. If she had been a foot closer she'd have bet she could hear his heart beating a mile a minute. Soft moans started erupting from the back of his throat and he started thrashing violently. Finally, she could make out some of the words he was mumbling.

"No. Please. Please no. Not ... no!"

Startled at his sudden cry, she slumped against the walls, gray eyes wide, and stared at the terrifed man who had finally woken from his nightmare. He sat there inhaling and slowly exhaling until his breaths were even. Jarod placed his palms against his clammy forehead and sighed. Releasing them, he realized he had a witness.

"Debbie," he said in a hoarse voice, "what are you doing up?"

"I just, woke up," She shrugged, "you had a really bad dream."

"I've never really been much of a sound sleeper. Its more unusual that I don't have them than I do," Jarod explained, his voice even more raspy than before.

"What was it about?"

Jarod stared at the child. The question was innocent enough, yet he wasn't sure how to answer it. He didn't want to terrify the child with the possibilities that it could be, but he wasn't sure exactly what his dreams were about. Usually past experiences. Wouldn't it be great to tell a young girl that he was simply reliving one of his many torturous past experiences?

"Its really nothing you need to worry about, Debbie. Its so difficult to explain. I don't even understand all of it myself."

"And you're a genius, too!" She said in awe.

He laughed, "Yes, that I am."

"I was going to go outside to watch the sun finish rising. Do you wanta come with me?"

"I would like nothing more," Jarod smiled.





AN: the reviews have stopped. that makes me a little sad. hints.