Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A light whipped rain created a peaceful mist and all the plants surrounding the little cabin was now bursting with the color of a lush green that would make anyone just want to recline and wrap themselves in its purity and refuge. Every leaf was coated in a heart of thick dew drops. Crickets' chirping made a musical melody of peace leaving a restless longing to relish in its beauty forever. The mountains' great body embedded into the earth, left a hungry sense of permanence. All these elements created an inviting utopia for all those with clouded souls to retreat to. How fitting it was for the woman swinging gently on the back porch swing. Her hair, webbed with a mist of beaded droplets, was draped carelessly over her shoulder and her eyes, distant as the moon overhead, were mirroring the color of the lakes' vast waters. Deep in contemplation, she softly hummed a tune she remembered her mother practicing while preparing their food, doing the chores, or combing her hair. She remembered asking her mother what the song was and her reply had been that she didn't know. It had always been in her head though, and it had always been the most mystical and magical tune she'd ever heard. "Beautiful," she had said, "just like my daughter."

Miss Parker smiled as the memory faded and she was left with an image of her mother, wearing soft pink, tickling her own young form. She wondered if her mother had ever known that she had two daughters. One of which had been prisoner within the very walls she had grown up in. Well, maybe they both had.

Parker stood up and stretching her limbs and began the descent towards the little dock against the lake. Virginia sure was gorgeous. The mountains were so peaceful and she felt like she and the others in the cabin were the only people who had ever existed. There was no Centre anymore. All she needed was right here, well almost everything she needed. She needed her family. Family. She did have a sister here, technically, but she hardly knew her. It was hard to definie family. She wondered if Sydney or even Jarod counted.

Finally reaching the edge of the dock, she sat down, gingerly letting her legs swing back and forth like a carefree little girl.
"What happens now?" she muttered, tossing a stone into the deadly still water.

"Well, I was hoping we could work together on that one."

Parker whipped her head around and saw the blonde standing innocently with both hands clasped in front of her. "Molly," she started, "I'm not angry. Not at you."

"I know," she said, sitting her thin form next to Miss Parker, "You're mad at your father aren't you?"

"Our father," Parker reassured her, "can I ask you something, Molly?"

"Of course," Molly's cool blue eyes were full of a candle lit warmth.

"Well, my- our half-brother, Ethan, hears my mother's voice," she paused, letting it soak in, "who's voice do you hear?"

Molly stuttered out, "I- I kinda thought it was you-"

"I knew it. You hear her voice, too. She sounds just like me-" Parker cut in, but was abruptly cut off by her sister.

"No. I don't hear our mother's voice. I wish I could though."

"Then," Parker's face was thick with emotions, "who do you hear?"

"Our other sister."

*****

Broots stood behind the island in the kitchen and tossed Debbie an apple. Giggling, the young girl had apparently forgiven her father, and though she hadn't enjoyed hearing about The Centre's "amazing feats," she was glad she knew. No more secrets. Broots was also more carefree than usual. He no longer had to bear the burden of hiding something from the most special person in his life, not to mention the fact that he was free of The Centre for the time being. Placing the apple next to one of five plates, Debbie grinned as her father launched another one at her. When all places had an apple and a glass of milk, Debbie and Broots started making sandwiches with the scarce rations that they had in their cabinets and refrigerator. The two were rather enjoying this playing house. It seemed as if they were all one big family. Jarod walked in and smiled. Leaning against the door frame with arms crossed, he watched in content as the family lived some skewed version of the great American dream.

Debbie, still giggling, looked up to see a stranger standing in the doorway. Her innocent eyes filled with fear, "Daddy."

Broots looked up to see Jarod staring at him expectantly. Realizing he was supposed to explain his presence to his daughter he said, "Oh, Debbie, this is Jarod. Remember?"

Obviously Jarod was surprised to know that Debbie already knew who he was when the child nodded and stared at him openmouthed from her seat at the table. Her eyes were fearful, not of Jarod, but of the things that had been done to this man. Yet, even with this uncertainty apparent in Debbie, Jarod remained silent, allowing her to speak and accept him first. Previous experiences with children had taught him this, and he had learned much from the way Sydney had handled him when he was a boy.

"Hi, Jarod," she began, "Daddy told me about you."

Jarod grinned and crouched down a bit to her level, "Hello, Debbie. If you're nervous, well, I understand. A young boy about your age was a little nervous when he met me as well."

"I'm not nervous," she stated with teenage confidence and pride.

Jarod laughed and resumed standing, "Ooh food. Good I'm starving."

"When was the last time you ate?" Broots asked while tossing a bag of chips on the table which Debbie immediately opened and started dividing out portions.

"Um, some time before I met with Miss Parker," he replied casually.

"What?!" Broots blurted out in shock, "what about Miss Parker?"

"I'd approximate around the same, but I don't know everything around here." Jarod popped a Dorito into his mouth while Broots looked on, dumbfounded. Jarod's eyebrows rose and smiled, "These are very good. What are they?" Debbie lifted the bag and Jarod read, "Dor-ih-to's."

"No," Debbie said, "it's Dor-E-to's."

"Oh," Jarod replied, pondering something in the genuine mind of his. Whether it was about Dorito's or nuclear physics, neither Broots nor Debbie was sure. Now, Debbie understood what her father had meant when he told her that Jarod was naive to the real world and had experienced very few things that normal people would take for granted.

"Hey, Debbie," Jarod announced, "why don't you go find Molly and Parker. I haven't seen them in a while."

"Okay," Debbie agreed before skipping off happily. This was like a nice vacation to her.

Jarod smiled, "You're really blessed, Broots."

"I know. I'm lucky to have someone," Jarod's face saddened, "oh, I'm sorry Jarod. I forgot. I mean- I didn't forget, it just slip-"

"Broots, it's okay," Jarod nodded at the man's embarrassment. Then he sighed, "you just get lonely sometimes. Like- like its never going to really end. Like, its not possible for me. What you have- it isn't possible for me."

"I think its possible for everyone."

"I'm glad someone has an optimistic view. I try to, but its challenging. Anyway, I don't want to burden you with my problems."

"Its not a burden. I mean, I don't have anything else to do here," Broots said, shrugging.

"Well, you could start with putting dirty silverware where they belong," Miss Parker stated, walking into the room with a charged authority, even in the middle of the secluded wilderness.

"I-I'm s-sorry, Miss P-Parker," the shaken man sputtered out.

Miss Parker flashed a true happy smile, not an amused smile.
"I was just kidding, Broots. So, Jarod, what's not a burden?" she said, bending over, her face in front of Jarod's.

Jarod looked at her skeptically, "Nothing, Parker."

"I don't think it was nothing. I think you are lying."

"Me lie to you?" Jarod placed a hand over his heart in mock surprise.

Parker scrunched her face up and nodded her head mockingly as well, "Imagine that, Wonder Boy."

'Wonder Boy' remained silent.

"Not giving? Oh well," she consented, swinging herself into the next chair, "what's for lunch?"

"Wonder Boy?" Debbie questioned.

"I don't think Jarod's for lunch, Deb," Parker contradicted.

They laughed, while Jarod put on a face of annoyance.

"Very funny," he congratulated, "it is peanut butter sandwiches, apples, milk, and Dorito's."

"Milk? I have to drink milk?"

"Yes, Parker, you have to drink that disgusting liquid from a cow."

Parker stuck her tongue out and Jarod's eyebrows rose cynically.

"Enough of the bantering, children. Eat your lunches peacefully," Broots said, sitting down along with Debbie and Molly.

Parker stared at him bitterly, "I've officially stepped into Mr. Rogers' neighborhood."

"No, this is Shady Oak, Virginia isn't it?" Molly contradicted.

"Never mind," Parker propped her head on the table and sighed.

Molly looked at Jarod who simply shrugged his shoulders.

*****

Cox had left for home twenty minutes ago. The beam of light swayed from side to side over the document being read. Blue eyes scanned it with precision and speed. Stopping his reading, Lyle shoved the folder back into the drawer. Remaining in the plush leather seat, he held one hand to his face and contemplated how he could use this data to his benefit. It seemed that Crystal was even more 'personal' than he had believed it to be. It was no wonder that Mr Parker hadn't allowed him to read them. Mr Parker. This was his fault. Mr Parker. Mr Parker. He sprang out of his seat and limpede out the door, ignoring the bullet wounds that were still healing, in an angry cloud of revenge.

*****

"Daughter close. Close to heart. Jarod, Daughter, healing. Molly healing."

Though the office had remained dark, it didn't stop the ghostly figure always lurking in the vents from seeing its occupant.

Lyle hadn't gone completely unseen. Pulling off the cover, Angelo made his way over to the desk and after a few moments of searching, pulled out a plastic disk. After retreating to his refuge, he downloaded the files in it and pressed 'send.'