Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Jarod sat silently in the chair across from Sydney's still form contemplating the recent events that had lead him here. Suddenly remembering Molly, he reached for the never absent laptop lying next to the bed. Once The Centre Mainframe had been tapped into, Jarod began to swim through the records until he finally found one that could lead somewhere. Code named Crystal, the file slowly leaked out of The Centre's careful lock and into Jarod's vision.

*****

"Lyle!" An urgent female voice greeted through the hazy static of the cell phone.

"What," was his blunt reply.

"Hmm, taking tips from your sister?" Brigette replied, "I hope that doesn't mean that you're bound to run off with one of our little projects."

"Would you get to the point?" Lyle requested of his stepmother.

"Someone is downloading a file to an outside source from The Centre Mainframe. Its code named Crystal. I'm certain it has to be Jarod."

"Its always Jarod!" Lyle barked into the receiver from his temporary bed.

"Well, why does he want this one?" she allowed the words to slip out sarcastically with a bitter smile and a sweet voice.

"How should I know? I'm the one lying in a recovery ward! I think you should get out into the real world and do something useful for once," he sneered.

"You can't speak to your stepmommy like that. And besides, I'm not the smart one who got himself shot by his own sister and missed when he returned fire."

"Its not my fault that Sydney got in the way," he moaned as a jolt of pain surged through his body.

"I'll find out about Crystal. You hurry up and get well, quickly," she demanded.

"Easier said than done. I was shot in the chest and my arm. The bullet almost punctured a lung, so you're lucky I'm alive."

"Oh how blessed I am."

The phone went dead and Lyle allowed his head to sink into the release of his pillow. It was always Jarod and Parker's fault. Always.

*****

"What exactly happened to that man? Who is he anyway?" Molly asked the balding man.

Broots sat down on the cranberry scarlet couch beside the inquiring blonde, "His name is Sydney. He basically raised Jarod and Miss Parker himself. Jarod told me that the bullet hit one of his kidney's. With enough rest, the other kidney will take over and he should get better- well, uh, if he comes out of his coma."

"Refuge," Molly muttered, "He was their refuge, their safety."

"Yeah," Broots replied absentmindedly, "have you seen Debbie?"

"Who?"

"Oh, sorry. Uh, my daughter, Debbie, is here, too."

"Oh, I see."

"But I see her even clearer, Broots."

Broots jumped up and turned to see Miss Parker climbing silently down the oak steps, "M-Miss Parker."

"She's upstairs in the first bedroom, Broots."

"Th-thanks, Miss Parker," Broots returned before disappearing upstairs in search of his daughter.

Miss Parker sat down slowly, cautiously, in the seat that Broots had previously occupied. She sighed before looking into Molly's penetrating blue eyes, "I'm sorry for what you've had to put up with recently. Its just that Sydney- mmph," she stopped herself and then began again, "Sydney is very important to my life and Jarod's. Uh-"

Molly interfered, sensing her discomfort, "It's all right to be emotional Miss Parker. And as for the lack of attention I've received, I am perfectly all right and used to that. I know how much you care about Sydney. He deserves as much attention as you can give him."

"Thanks. I really-"

"Parker, I need you," Jarod burst into the room.

"Can't this wait?" Parker growled.

"Not unless you think The Centre will."

She stared at him for a second then turned back to Molly as Jarod lead her away, "Molly, I'm really sorry. I'll come back to see you again."

"I'm not going anywhere," Molly replied in understanding.

Miss Parker, half way out the room, halted in her movements. A memory flashed back through her mind to years ago when she had been led out of a room by Jarod when The Centre was coming for them. She had told her sister, Faith, that she would be back. Now, the same words were coming out of her mouth, for she had met someone who could easily become a friend of hers. She smiled one of those rare small smiles of hers before continuing down the hall to Sydney's room where Jarod was busy digging through his bag.

"What?"

"Still with your Centre lingo, Miss Parker?"

"Only when I want something," she returned calmly before sitting down in the chair and grasping Sydney's warm hand.

"What is it you want then?" Jarod asked as he stood up to reveal many tools tumbling out of his hands onto the table next to Miss Parker.

"Answers. What do you want, Jarod?"

"I'll give you a hint; it starts with a 'T,'" he revealed, grinning knowingly.

"Jarod! Even when we aren't enemies you have to fill my head with mind games! Just tell me," she replied, completely exasperated with his immaturity.

"If we aren't enemies, what are we, Parker?"

"Tell me," she snarled. Jarod grinned. Every time she did this, she reminded him of a crouching panther, or maybe even a hawk.

"Okay, it ends with an 'r-a-c-k-i-n-g d-e-v-i-c-e,' and they're in our arms. Remember?"

"Oh, Jesus, Jarod. Can they find us?"

"Yes," he replied in complete seriousness, "and they will if I don't get them out."

"Okay," Miss Parker agreed, pulling her sleeve up so that the area was clear for Jarod to operate, "then get it out, Wonder Boy." Feeling the cool sensation of alcohol on skin, she shivered as Jarod expertly began the procedure.

"This will help with the pain," he said while injecting something into her slowly and gently, "there's something I need to tell you, Parker."

She waited for him to continue, uncharacteristically patient and apprehensive.

"I was hunting through The Centre's archives and I found some relevant information that you definitely need to see," He took a breath, never stopping throughout the medical procedure, "There was a project, Crystal. It- it pertains to Molly. There's really no easy way to explain this to you."

"You mean you haven't gotten used to delivering me bad news yet, Jarod?" Parker said in mock surprise, a grin smeared across her face. Jarod remained silent. "What is it?"

Jarod took a breath deep from within his soul. Rounding up all of his courage, his fingers halted their graceful movements and his eyes met hers.

"Faith. Do you remember Faith?" he asked her.

"Of course I remember her," she replied calmly.

"Your father told you that she was your sister, and you had no idea."

"What are you getting at, Jarod?" she inquired slowly.

"I think you know, Parker."

"Molly? Molly can't- she can't be my..."

"She is, Parker," he carefully grasped her hands. Her eyes were wide images of a calm and stunned ocean, deep sapphire jewels. "Molly is your sister."

*****

The third step up creaked under Broots' shaky form as he journeyed to the second level of the little cabin. The scent of cedar, the worn look of the wood paneling, and the fresh feeling of wood floorboards all reminded Broots of home. Not his home, just of home. He had always been a suburban boy himself. Having grown up in fear of the lunch-stealing playground bully, its seemed as if he lived his entire life in fear. The light pouring in through the windows was enough for Broots to find the first oak door as Miss Parker had said. Cautiously grasping the tired door knob, complete with keyhole, he slowly pushed the door open releasing a piercing shriek of protest from the browning hinges. His daughter's face looked up in complete annoyance.

"What?" his little girl said.

"Maybe you shouldn't have further contact with Miss Parker," he pondered aloud, hearing the springs of the bed defy the burden of more weight as he sat down next to Debbie on the little quilt-covered bed.

Debbie remained silent, so Broots continued, "Do you wanta talk about it?"

"There's nothing to talk about," she replied, scooting back up against the wall as she did so.

"I think there is. What's bothering you, Sweetie?"

"You should know what's bothering me. I already told you."

"And, Honey, I've tried to explain this to you," he watched as her hope faded when he started to feed her the same old worn out lines. Leaning forward, surprisingly confident, he whispered, "Listen, Honey. I don't want to worry you. I just- I just need for you to try and understand."

"I can't do that anymore," she muttered.

"All right. I'll try and tell you as much as I can, okay? I don't know all of the truth either, but I'll do my best."

"Thank-you, Daddy."

The four walls were now bearing the burden of a demented and twisted story. Debbie's innocent eyes widened as she listened in awe at what her father was telling her and her entire view of the world changed.

*****

"I can't believe it. I just can't believe it," Miss Parker stated then one finger instantly sealing her lips. She released her index finger and began after catching her breath and wiping the moisture from her eyes, "Do- do you think, Jarod, that anyone else knows? Like- like my father?" Her last words came out in a whisper and Jarod pitied her like he never had before. This was going to be the worst news to break to the fragile woman. Fragile.

"Parker," Jarod's gaze shifted to the ground but returned, "other people do know."

"Like who?" she asked hesitantly.

Jarod shifted uncomfortably under her intense stare, "Raines, Cox."

"That's not all is it?"

"Your father."

A tear crept down her face, clinging gently to her cheek before plunging into infinity. She started trembling slightly and sealed her eyes slowly, unable to halt the flow of salty water.
Jarod grasped her hand. That hand that had held a gun to his face too many times to count, even for a genius. He stroked the same thumb that had been dislocated when they escaped together in Florida. With his other hand, he caressed the same forearm that had previously been bloodstained in the Dover Bank, "I'm sorry, Parker."

"How could he not tell me?" she sputtered out.

"I don't know how anyone at The Centre could do anything they do. But I do know that this doesn't need to be a bad thing, Parker. Maybe this means that you can make up for the time that you lost with Faith. Or maybe, it can just be a chance for you to have a sister. Not a dying sister, Faith. Now you have an innocent sister who will need your guidance. Molly has never left The Centre, and she's going to need your help. This could be a great thing for you and Molly, Parker," he encouraged her with a soft smile, "neither of you have to be alone, now."

Miss Parker simply stared at Jarod, slowly absorbing all that he had just told her. In an ironic way, he was right. This could be a good thing. If she wanted it to be.

"It is a good thing for us, Jarod, but now I know that I can't trust my father anymore," she reminded him.

"Parker," his voice soaked in disappointment, "did you really ever have that?"

"I-" she began, but Jarod's knowing look halted her protests. She sighed, "guess not, but it was always nice to think that I did."

"I don't think you really enjoyed living a lie. I know I certainly haven't."

"Uh, Jarod, are you finished with my shoulder?" she inquired, quickly changing the subject. Jarod, noticing this, nodded. "Good, because, no offense, but I really just really need to be alone for a while. Okay?"

Once again nodding, "Go ahead, Parker. I can get Mol-, uh Broots to help me finish getting my chip out."

Miss Parker nodded and rose to her feet. Carefully letting her hand linger on his before heading to the door, she turned back once reaching the door. "Thank-you, Jarod," she whispered, her hands clutching either side of the door frame to stop their trembling. Jarod smiled slightly in return and watched her disappear.

*****

Mr Parker growled at the inefficiency of his people. If he didn't get his little girl back then everyone would suffer. Little girl indeed. It was becoming more and more difficult to call Miss Parker his little girl, but it could be called force of habit. She was gone. Jarod was gone. Molly was gone. And more than likely, the three of them were together. Those three together meant danger. Danger for The Centre and danger for him. They hadn't been found and the monitor following the tracking devices which had been implanted in hopes of keeping them here forever had suddenly fallen off of he map. Wherever they had went, their tracks had been covered well. Even that computer technician and his daughter were gone. The file transfer that Briggite had warned him of was most certainly Jarod. Jarod had a knack for finding out things that he had no business knowing.

Mr Parker stood up as Cox ambled into his office with headset on, "Can I do something for you?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact you can," Cox announced, clasping his hands together sophisticatedly as he did so, "we need some information."

"We?"

"Mr. Lyle," he gestured to the headpiece he was wearing, "and myself."

When Mr Parker remained silent, Lyle's voice came through the speaker, enunciating each word as if Mr Parker were a preschooler, "About Molly."

"How does Lyle know about Molly? Cox, you had strict orders that this project was of highest confidentiality," Mr Parker barked.

"I needed his help and besides the fact, this will be an ultimate test of loyalty towards The Centre, and you," he added at the end.

Mr Parker sighed, "What kind of information are you talking about?"

"We need every bit of information about Molly in order to track her down."

"I thought that you, Cox, and Raines were going to track her down, while Lyle and Briggite found Jarod and my daughter."

"Yes, well, those lines still stand, but as long as Molly, Jarod, and Miss Parker are found, why does it matter?" Lyle coaxed, unwilling to be left out of the conversation.

"I suppose. Do Briggite and Raines know of this new 'arrangement,' Lyle?"

"Well not per say," he strained out.

"I see. Well, I will make sure that the files are sent directly to you, Cox."

"Thank-you, Sir," Cox nodded with a deep glint in his eyes.

"But what about me, D-" Lyle cut in before they were dismissed.

"The files will be sent to Cox," he blurted out, "good day."

In his bed on another floor, Lyle opened his mouth in protest but quickly decided against it.

Turning, Mr Cox left the room in silence, accepting their dismissal.

Mr Parker watched as Cox disappeared through the two frosted glass doors. If only Lyle knew the secret of Molly. Things would slowly collapse from there like pulling the bottom card from within a card house. This would not pose well for Mr Parker. He dismissed the farfetched thought, not liking this change of view.