Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Two eyes peered through the crack in the air vent. His friends were sleeping. "Going. Tonight," he began, "need Molly, too. Molly. Must get Molly."

The feet plodded down the air vent to their destination.

*****

"Sydney, its exactly 3:49. You have until about four before the next check, and I can keep the camera off for as long as we need. I've got the previous slide looped," Broots' voice rang in Sydney's ears.

"Thank you Broots, here I go," Sydney replied.

The door slid open after Broots' expert techniques were put to good use. Sydney paused momentarily staring at two of his most beloved people under such harsh circumstances. Remembering that he only had eleven minutes left, he quickly hurried to Jarod's side and starting shaking him gently so as not to put his prodigy in shock.

"Jarod, come on, Jarod. You have to wake up," he whispered urgently.

"Sydney? Come to join the party?" Jarod's raspy voice mumbled while tired eyes made their appearance.

"More to crash it. Come on, I'm getting you and Miss Parker out of here."

Jarod abruptly sat up and hurried to Parker's side while Sydney scanned for visitors.

"Parker, get up. You need to wake up, Parker."

"Get the hell away from me until I need to be up," she calmly ordered in her Parker manner.

"Well, if you don't consider getting out of this hell hole a need, then go back to sleep."

"What?" she also sat up.

"Sydney is bailing us out."

"You have nine minutes, Syd," Broots reminded his colleague.

"Quickly, we don't have much time," Sydney declared.

The three stalked towards the door and once noticing it was clear and getting a positive sign from Broots, headed into the hallway. With two hands, Sydney placed a gun into Parker's hand with a reassuring smile.

"Ah, my best friend. Boy, how I've missed you," she stated as she smashed a fresh cartridge into the empty clip, "now, where are we going?"

"Well, um, Jarod, I thought you might want to cover that. This is your specialty after all," Sydney said with a hopeful glint in his eyes.

"It would be a genuine pleasure to get us out of here," Jarod confirmed.

"Good, well Broots has a car waiting on the left wing."

"Perfect."

"Now I get to see how you've gotten out all of these times," Miss Parker said tauntingly.

"Well, I don't have to show you."

Broots alerted them to their ceasing time limit, "Six minutes, ya'll."

"Its a walk in the park, Broots," Jarod declared. The three strutted down the hall until they reached a dead end.

"Good job, Jarod. Forgetting where you are now?"

"Not quite, Miss Parker."

There was a door at the end that he presented to his followers.

"Oh wow. We have found a janitorial closet. We have nothing to fear now!"

"Maybe," Jarod opened the door presenting a pair of stairs, "or maybe not."

"Where did this come from?" Sydney inquired as they hurried up the stairs two at a time.

"I've never had the chance to see how far down it leads or where to, but I know that this goes to ground level."

"Jarod, help Molly," a childlike voice said from below them. They all looked down into the dark that Jarod had proclaimed no knowledge to and realized that Angelo was there, but he was not alone. Jarod skipped down the stairs and came face to face with a blonde haired, blue eyed, gorgeous woman.

Her face was full of fear.

"Molly," Angelo said with a smile and then indicated Jarod, "Jarod. Jarod help Molly. Please."

Jarod along with Sydney and Miss Parker were baffled as to who this woman could be. Obviously she had been held prisoner in The Centre as well since she wore the lovely gray attire Jarod used to.

"How can I help Molly?" Jarod asked looking back to Sydney and Miss Parker who only shrugged before he returned his gaze and inquiring eyes to Angelo.

"Take Molly with you. With you, Molly. Go with ... Jarod. Jarod will protect ... Molly. Go now, no time."

Jarod stuttered before smoothing out his voice, "Well. Um, okay, come on then Molly. I suppose that I will protect you."

"We really need to go. Broots says we have 2 minutes at best," Sydney abruptly inserted his presence into the conversation. The party of five quickly made their way out the exit door with occasional curious glances towards Molly.

Once outside in the cool night air, Jarod breathed in a refreshing gulp of fresh pine air. They all crept along the left wing wall. A quick flash of light came from the SUV that Broots was waiting in indicating to head that way.

"Not so fast," a voice announced.

"Well, Lyle. I'm surprised that you could catch up with us in that cast of yours," Miss Parker replied.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Sis?"

"I'm just admiring the new paint job here. What do you think, Lyle?" she asked, her voice dripping in sarcasm.

"I think its time for you to head back home," he answered while pulling out his gun and pointing it straight at Parker's chest, "but then again, its your choice. Come, or die."

"Lyle!" Jarod barked, "Don't touch her." He then inserted himself between Miss Parker and Lyle straight in the bullet's path.

"How noble of you, Jarod," Lyle replied.

"Jarod, I can fight my own battles. I have never needed help before, so move it!" Miss Parker demanded while trying to shove his body out of the way.

"You've never had a choice before."

Jarod heard clicking behind him and decided to keep this conversation up.

"Lyle, what could you possibly gain from killing your own sister?" Jarod inquired.

"That's pretty obvious, genius. I will have the power, trust, and respect of our father and the members of the triumvirate," Lyle responded.

"So your father would be proud that you killed his daughter?"

"Who do you think gave the order?"

Parker gasped in shock and thrusted her gun over Jarod's shoulder and fired not once but twice. Lyle twitched suddenly twice and placed his hand over the fresh hole in his chest. The other stream of blood flowed from his left arm.
"You bastard!" Parker screamed through her own tears, "Come on Jarod! Lets get the hell out of here!"

She started running towards the SUV but stopped short when the sound of a gunshot pierced the night air. She turned around and saw Lyle slump to the ground unconscious with his gun still clutched in hand and trigger finger still in position. The sight in front of him was what brought Miss Parker running desperately while Angelo fled back towards the Centre. Molly stood in shock as she watched Miss Parker kneel down next to a man whom she obviously cared deeply for.

"Oh my God. Oh Jesus, please no!" she came in closer and stroked his face, "You can't leave me. We need you! Please! Please ... I need you."

The tears dropped over the man's bleeding chest wound.