Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

These characters are not mine, they are borrowed from "The Pretender".
My english isn't perfect, so I'm sorry if there are some tense and grammar mistakes. I really tried to do my best. I hope you'll enjoy it.




.................




I loved her. I fell in love with her, the first time we met. She was breathtaking with her long dark hair, her deep blue eyes, her thin lips and her soft ivory skin. I married her and she betrayed me with my own brother...

She was so young, only eighteen, when we met. Our meeting wasn't a coincidence. She was special in many ways. I told myself that love was just the icing on the cake. She came out of the convent for the wedding. Few friends of hers were present and she had no family. My god, she never realized she had made a pact with the devil that day.

I bought her a house, dresses and I covered her with jewelry. I offered her power and wealth, but as deep as was my love for her, I loved my work much more. I wasn't home very often, I neglected her. The passion we shared at first vanished ever so slowly. Her smile faded at each passing day, she wasn't happy.

One day she came to me the corners of her mouth twitching with anticipation. She seemed truly happy for once. She told me she was pregnant. Later we learnt there were two babies in that stomach of hers. She was in paradise. She was smiling most of the time, she came back to me, perhaps believing she could finaly have a real family. She was babling about our futur, about our babies, but she ignored at the time what my real nature was.

Everything the Center touches is damned. We are all belonging to the Center. Catherine couldn't imagine what a man is capable of in order to accomplish greater things. Lies, kidnappings, rapes, murders. She was such a peaceful and kindred spirit. Catherine's family and my family as some few others have always possessed some blood abnormality. It makes us special. We have intellectual skills that very few humans have. Some of us are real geniuses. The children who were growing in my wife's womb would undoubtly be gifted. No need to explain how valuable for the center they would be.

The day she delivered, the boy was taken away from her. Raines told her the baby was dead. A lie of course, one more in the center buisness. Then you came. A girl. You were given to Catherine as a consolation price. Catherine was much too good a person for the Center. It could cause problem in the future. You were a tool, a mean to control her. She would be absorb by her baby, she would be distracted. And you would later serve the Center purposes in a way or another. That's history. After all you would probably turn out to be one of the red files given your genetic background.

I came to visit at the nursery. When I opened the door, Catherine wasn't in her bed. She was probably having an appointement with the doctor.

You were lying flat on your back, sleeping. I nodded to the nurse and she left the room to give us privacy. I took a step toward you, then a second and a third. I was standing above your crib of glass. You were so little, your hands and feets so tiny. I couldn't help smiling. I had to admit that for a wrinkled little baby, you were cute.

You probably felt my presence, because you opened your eyes. Wonderful deep blue eyes, that looked straight into mine and my heart just stopped. You were just like her. I tried to caress your hand and you grabbed my finger. Your movement were clumsy but delicate. I have seen so many babies in the center and viewed them as very valuable goods, I never cared. But you weren't like the others and my heart was melting at your sight.

You looked like a baby angel. Your eyes were never leaving me. "Are you trying to seduce me girl ? You should know better. I'm much too old to become your boyfriend". But it was too late, the spell had been cast. I had fallen in love again. I cradled you in my arm, you were so light, I bent my head and gave you a tender kiss on your forehead. I heard chuckles and Catherine was looking the both of us. She came and rested her head on my shoulder and for just one moment it was perfect. I had a wonderful family and I was at peace.

But as always life went on and the center was sucking life out of us. Catherine was also working in that hellhole. She was believing at first that the Center researches were meant to help people. She thought we were fiding cures for very dangerous deases or some others helpful projects. Studies were made on people and even children. At first she wasn't suspecting any mistreatement, but she was curious and soon she discovered how lucrative some Center experiments were and how unethical they could be. She was becoming to be involved in dangerous conspirations. She was trying to save children. Getting them out of the Center and hiding them in nice families.

Our marriage was deteriorating quikly. I didn't pay attention to her, I wasn't here for her when she needed support. That's when I discovered she had an affair with Raines. I had sudden doubts about my paternity and you, the daughter I had come to love. Were you Raine's daughter by blood. It made me crazy. She had betrayed me. I wanted to punish her and I did. She was always the one to blame, it was easier that way. I couldn't accept the fact that she wasn't happy with me. I hurt her with my fists, I left bruises and marks on her body. I couldn't control my fury. I remember how battered and bruised she was when she went to the emergency room. It was cruel and I knew it. And afterwards we both acted as if nothing had ever happened. We were supposed to be an happy maried couple. But that was never true, we always played our perfect husband and wife role for your sake. Despite everything she always stayed the perfect devoted wife, she was a good catholic, she never would have divorced. I loved her and even if we sometime had moments of peace and near happiness in the end I made her life a living hell.

She begun to interfere into some of our most important projects, the project Cameleon and then the project gemini. She was trying to save Jarod and Timmy. It became her downfall. She had finally come to realize that Raines was a monster, that he didn't care of ruining life if it contributed to the success of his experimrnts. She was horrified when she discovered what he did to Timmy. She didn't know yet that he did it with my consent. I later gave my consent, to use her in the Mirage project. She was murdered in the main Center elevator, at least that's what I thought. I was deeply hurt when she died, because in my heart she was still the one. But Raines took her from me, he made her believe that he would help her and he just killed her when she wasn't useful anymore, when she delivered Ethan.

That day when she disapeared from your life, you were histerical. You had come to like the boys you were playing with in the Center corridors when none of us could take care of you at home. You were too much like her, too weak, too caring. Things had to change.

I would often remember that wonderful moment in the nursery during my life. Wondering what would have happened if I had tried to stop the madness that was surrounding our life. But it was too late she was gone and I was to damn old to change.

I already knew that you would never have deserved me as a father, because all I could offer you would be a life full of lies, hurt, loneliness and deception. That there would always be someone who would try to break you and use you. I already knew that all I would do to protect you from the odd of the Center, would probably be the reason why you would turn your back on me. I already knew I was condemning you to never trust me. I wasn't promising you an easy life, but it was the best I could do for you. I would try to give a shelter against them all until you were old and strong enough to fight for yourself. I would learn you how to be a Parker. I would learn you how to survive but never how to live.
You would have deserved better than me for a father, but it would have to do, because you could have had worse, you could have had Raines like your brother. I think no one ever realized how evil he truly is. But you will and you will understand. I knew that keeping secrets from you wasn't going to be fair, anyway you would probably discover them. Like mother, like daughter. I knew that in the end you would bleed inside, you would hate me. But still you would understand, and I would have done it all because I loved you.

The next week you were packing and I sent you on boarding school. It was time for you to grow up and quikly.



................




I look at you for the last time. You are not a baby anymore, you are a formidable woman. You are a Parker. You are srong, stubborn, determined and efficient. You are impressive, people fears you. You are a hunter, a survivor. But deep inside you I can see what your mother left you. Tenderness, sweetness, softeness. I can read your hunger for love and hope. All the things that I made you believe were weaknesses... and I was wrong. The fact that after all you went through, you can still feel human and be human, makes you the strongest of our blood. I am proud of you even if I have never voiced it. I also feel guilty because your eyes are pleading me to reveal you the truth, which I don't have the courage to give you. You will have to find it by yourself as you always did.

I feel ashame because you still want to trust me and to forgive me after everything I have done. I have your unconditionnal love and as always I am going to let you down, alone. And for once I see how wrong I was to think that it was about my legacy that the scrolls were speaking about. I never thought that the one person who would be able to change the Parker legacy would be you. And I know now that I don't want anyone else to have this priviledge, to offer our blood a redemption.

"You may not be my daughter but I loved you as my own."

Just before I jumped out of the plane, I saw the panic in your eyes, your fright of loosing me too, the same way you lost so many loved ones before. But I am rotten and for once I want to do something right. I will destroy these damn scrolls. Perhaps then will you be free.

I feel the wind in my hair and before I hit the water I am amazed to see how the water remind me of your eyes. Those marvellous eyes.