Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Jarod, Miss Parker, Bruts, and Mr. Lyle are the property of TNT and the creators of the Pretender. The song “Can’t Not” is by Alanis Morissette and can be found on the Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie CD. No copyright infringement is intended.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Discovery
part 1
by Rachel Schaefer

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *






The silence of the darkened office was broken by the soft clanking of ice on the side of Miss Parker’s glass as she raised it to her lips, taking a sip of the aged scotch. The liquid burned as it trailed down her throat, only slightly calming the thoughts racing through her head. The ringing of the telephone caused Miss Parker to jump slightly before she turned to pick up the receiver.

“What?” Parker asked sharply.

“Have you found the truth?”

“Jarod. Where is my mother’s body?”

“Be patient Parker,” Jarod whispered before hanging up the phone.

“Dammit!” she yelled, slamming down the phone back onto its cradle, and draining the remaining liquid from her glass. The large wooden doors leading into her office opened as Broots hesitantly made his way into the room, before stammering, “Miss Parker?”

“What is it Broots?”

“About your mother.”

“It’s fine,” bluntly stated Miss Parker. Broots stood still, trying to think of what to say next, but after seeing the pain in her eyes, he turned and quietly exited the room. After refilling her glass, Parker lowered her body into the chair behind her desk and shut her eyes. She slowly brought her hand up to the back of her neck to try and ease the tension out of her muscles; her lower lip began to tremble as she thought of her mothers’ missing body. And was only calmed after a long drink from her chilled glass. Weariness finally setting in, Miss Parker gathered up her briefcase and began the short drive home from the Centre.

***************************

i’d be lying if I said I was completely unscathed
I might be proving you right with my silence or my retaliation
would I be letting you win in my non-reaction?
how would I explain?


****************************

After arriving home, Parker headed for the bathroom; throwing her briefcase and the small gun she wore while at work onto her bed as she passed. The cold glow of the bathroom tiles cast an unsightly shadow along Parker’s face as she reached over to turn on the shower. Soon after the water reached a comfortable temperature, Miss Parker shed her clothes and stepped under the warm stream of water. Tension slowly began to work its way out of her shoulders, and Parker was lulled into a daze as the water pounded down upon her back. When the water began to cool, Parker stepped out of the shower and wrapped herself in a warm towel before heading into her bedroom. The relaxed state of mind that surrounded her quickly disappeared as she caught a small movement out of the corner of her eye. Jarod.

“What are you doing here Jarod” questioned Parker, her eyes scanning the room for her Centre issued weapon.

“Looking for this Miss Parker?” asked Jarod, his eyes gleaming as he dangled the weapon over the center of the bed, receiving a glare from the woman in front of him. Miss Parker turned and began to search her closet for the silk pajamas that had been discarded earlier that morning. Finally finding what she was looking for, Parker headed toward the bathroom to change out of the small towel, which had miraculously stayed in place during her brief encounter with Jarod. Parker quickly changed and returned to her room, only to fin Jarod lying on his back in the center of her bed, the gun placed casually on his chest. He glanced up as he heard her enter the room and had to make a conscience effort to control his eyes from traveling over her body.

“What do you want from me Jarod, the truth. You know I can’t give that to you.”

“I’m here about your mother Parker.

“What about my mother?” questioned Miss Parker, her throat tightening as the words passed through her lips and sent chills down her spine.

“I know where the Centre took her body,” Jarod stated bluntly, his eyes locking with hers. He saw a flash of emotion pass over her face, but it was instantly replaced with a look of grim determination.

“Take me there.”

“It’s a long drive, sleep and I’ll take you in the morning.”

“No, we’re leaving now.”

“Parker,” Jarod began, but was cut off as Miss Parker lunged at the gun still resting on his chest. The cool metal of the gun barrel was placed at his temple, and the click of the hammer being pulled back seemed to echo inside his head.

“I don’t think you understood me, we’re leaving now.”

“Dressed like that?” Jarod asked, grinning as he looked at Parker’s present attire. She gave him a disgusted look before slowly backing off the bed toward her closet and grabbing a suit off one of the hangers.

“Don’t even think about disappearing on me Jarod,” Parker stated as she made her way toward the bathroom, leaving the door slightly open so she could watch Jarod’s reflection in the mirror as she quickly threw on her clothes. Through the crack in the door, Jarod caught a glimpse of the smooth skin of her back and the toned muscles visible underneath before she threw on a black mid-drift, packed an overnight bag, and stepped back into the room. “Get up,” said Miss Parker as she tucked the gun into her waistband and threw on her coat. Jarod reached out his hand and stared intently at Parker, as if searching for something. “What?!”

“Keys.” Parker grabbed her keys from the corner of her bed and threw them at Jarod, hitting him squarely in the chest, before walking out of her room and heading towards her car. As she sat down in the passengers’ seat, Parker lit a cigarette, savoring the burning sensation as smoke traveled down her throat and settled in her lungs. A cold rush of air flowed into the car as Jarod settled down behind the wheel. “Might as well get comfortable Parker, it’s a long ride.”

“I’m fine, just drive.” Jarod gave Miss Parker a final glance before turning the key in the ignition and easing the car down the drive and into the street. As Jarod headed down the street, he turned the radio to a station playing slow jazz. After a few minutes, the slow sultry music lulled Parker into a light sleep, despite her minds initial resistance. Moonlight cast shadows onto her sleeping face, highlighting the strength of her jaw and the pale skin of her neck. While stopped at a light, Jarod finally had a chance to look at the sleeping woman next to him. He reached over to tuck an escaped piece of hair behind her ear, smiling as a soft sigh escaped her lips at his touch. “Parker,” Jarod whispered, ”you never cease to amaze me.” Jarod pulled over into the parking lot of a small bed and breakfast when the danger of falling asleep at the wheel became an increasing threat. Not wanting to disturb Parker sooner than he had to, Jarod brought their bags into the lobby, and after receiving their room key from the man behind the counter, headed back out to the car. Miss Parker’s sleeping form was surprisingly light as he lifted her from the car, and carried her towards the building. Immediately after Jarod placed Parker’s body onto the bed and covered her with the light blue comforter, she burrowed into the warmth of the bed and sank deeper into sleep.

“Goodnight,” Jarod whispered, placing a soft kiss on her forehead. A muffled murmur came from beneath the sheets, causing Jarod to smile as he pulled a chair from the corner and draped his body over it in a vain attempt to get comfortable. However, after being jabbed in the ribs for what seemed like the fiftieth time, Jarod gave up on sleep and moved to the small table in the corner of the room. He reached down and pulled up a metal briefcase, which contained a small computer and a series of DSAs. Once Jarod inserted one of the disks, a black and white image filled the screen.

…A shot rang out, striking Catherine Parker as she stood near the elevator doors. Miss Parker tried running to her fallen body, but a pair of strong hands held her back and hid her face from the sight of her mother’s fallen body being carried away. In the darkness of the Centre corridor, Jarod’s young face is pale and his eyes reflect the turmoil of emotions raging through his young mind. The faint path of a single tear could be seen traveling down his cheek before he turned his face downward and away from the camera; allowing his cries of pain to mingle with those of Miss Parker’s and echo through the corridor…

Jarod shut the metallic case before finally falling into a restless sleep.

“Get up Jarod,” snapped Parker, jarring him from his unstable position in the chair. Jarod picked himself up from the floor and headed toward the travel bag he had brought last night, brushing past Parker on the way.

“If you don’t mind Miss Parker, I’m going to take a quick shower before we leave. Don’t you disappear on me,” he added, remembering when she had used that same phrase the day before.

“Hurry up,” she ordered to Jarod’s retreating back as he headed for the shower. Soon, the sound of running water filled the room and left Parker alone with her thoughts in the relative silence. The bed sank under her weight as she sat down and leaned up against the wooden headboard. The coolness against her neck went unnoticed as a cascade of memories flooded her mind. Images of her mother’s body, lying in a pool of blood on the floor, and of a man standing in the shadows played across the inside of Parker’s eyelids on what seemed to be a repeating loop. Minutes passed unnoticed, until the pressure of Jarod’s hand on her shoulder caused Miss Parker to quickly open her eyes and flinch away from his touch.

“Are you ok Miss Parker?”

“I’m fine, let’s go.”

“Parker…?”

“I said I’m fine, now lets go,” Miss Parker said sharply as she reached over to grab her jacket and heading out the door.

****************

would I be whining if I said I needed a hug?
would you feel slighted if I said your love’s not enough?
how can I complain?
how can I complain when I’m the one who reaches for it?


****************

The green hills and trees lining the blacktop of the road passed by in a blur as Jarod steered the car to his and Parker’s final destination, a small cemetery just miles down the road. Quickly glancing over his shoulder, Jarod noticed Miss Parker leaning her head against the frame of the door. Wind from the open car window stung her eyes, finally forcing her to look away from the trees and into the car. Jarod’s eyes locked with hers and the electricity between them crackled with intensity. The silence in the car grew thick as they each searched for the words to give a voice to the questions racing through their minds. Finally, Miss Parker’s voice broke the silence.

“Jarod?”

“Yes.”

“How did you know her body wouldn’t be in her grave?”

“I went digging through the Centre archives searching for anything that would lead me to my past, but instead, I found information on yours.” Jarod finished his statement and focused his attention on the road. Parker opened her mouth in order to voice another question, but decided against it when she noticed the muscles in Jarod’s jaw tense and his knuckles turn white as he gripped the steering wheel. Jarod sped up and made a smooth turn into the entrance of a small cemetery on the side of the road, stopping once the car reached the rear. “Are you ready,” Jarod asked, worry creasing his brow when Parker remained silent. “Parker?”

“Let’s go,” she said as she opened the door and stepped onto the gravel pathway. Soon Jarod joined Parker’s side, and the two made their way through the headstones; stopping in front of a headstone bearing Catherine Parker’s name. Miss Parker knelt down and ran her fingers over her mother’s name, tears making the name blur and swim before her eyes. A soft, reassuring pressure appeared on her shoulder as Jarod offered his silent support. Parker leaned into Jarod’s hand, using his strength to anchor her to the present as her mind searched for happier memories of the past. A cold breeze brought Miss Parker’s thought back to the present, and she stood shivering next to Jarod. The two stood in silence until Parker moved forward and once again placed her hand on the headstone.

“Are you ok Parker?”

“Lets go Jarod,” she began, before lowering her voice and whispering “Good-bye mom” into the wind. Jarod, keeping his hand on her shoulder, turned towards the parking lot and began walking down the path to the car. Parker remained silent as the car pulled away from the cemetery, staring out the window as a light rain began to fall. The two rode in silence until, finally, Miss Parker whispered “Thank you,” so softly that the sound of the pouring rain almost overwhelmed it. Jarod reached over and placed his hand on top of hers, almost pulling away when he felt her hand turn up towards his and lace her fingers in between his own. Parker’s small hand was almost completely surrounded by his larger one, and she reveled in the warmth and calm it provided. Once back at the hotel, Parker disentangled her hand from his and stepped out into the pouring rain. Standing with her face turned upwards to the sky, Parker was joined by Jarod and the two were soaked almost instantly.

“Come on Parker, let’s get inside,” Jarod said over the noise of the falling rain. Parker turned towards him, and after staring in his eyes for what seemed like an eternity, she walked towards their room. Once inside, Parker headed towards the bathroom, stripping off her clothes as she shut the door, and turned the shower to hot. The warmth was a shock to her system and chills were sent down her spine as the muscles in her back contracted. Steam filled the room, surrounding Parker in a veil of seclusion, until a cold draft invaded the room. She glanced over towards the door and saw Jarod’s arm squeeze through a crack in the door and set extra clothes onto the counter, before shutting the door and leaving Parker alone. The warmth of the water began to heavily compound Parker’s exhaustion and she allowed her eyes to close as she leaned her head against the cool tiles and drifted into an emotion filled daze. The rush of cold water shocked Miss Parker out of her daze; she quickly shut off the water, and stepped out into the steam filled room. A sense of venerability crept into the corner of Parker’s mind as she stood with out the comfort of a warm towel to surround her, As the steam began to clear, Parker spotted a towel hanging in the corner and she quickly grabbed it, covering her exposed form. Parker made her way to the small vanity and used her hand to wipe the condensed steam off the mirror. Her reflection was out of focus, and the water droplets weaving their way down the glass made it seem as if she were crying. She reached her hand out and ran it over the outline of her reflection, before turning away and quickly dressing in the clothes Jarod had left for her. However, instead of the clothes helping to return the warmth to her body, a chill still remained seated deep within her. Parker opened the door and a rush of steam entered the room in which Jarod was relaxing. He turned his head just in time to see Miss Parker exit the bathroom and head for the bed, covering herself with the comforter.

“Parker, are you alright?” Jarod questioned, getting up out of his seat when Parker remained silent. “Miss Parker?” Jarod whispered as he leaned over the bed, trying to see if she was still awake. As hie eyes scanned her face, Parker’s eyes opened and locked with his.

“Stay with me tonight Jarod,” Parker whispered, refusing to break eye contact even though his eyes were desperately searching for an avenue of escape.

“Parker, I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” Jarod said as he finally pulled his eyes away from her. She remained silent as he moved away from the bed, but she reached her hand out and grabbed his wrist, forcing him to turn around.

“Please Jarod.” Jarod stared at her, shocked that the tone behind her request was almost pleading, and finally his will broke.

“Let me get changed first,” Jarod muttered, giving in to her request. Parker dropped his wrist and turned over on her side as Jarod walked into the bathroom to get changed. He exited the bathroom, wearing flannel boxers and a light gray tee shirt, and walked over to the side of the small hotel room bed. His weight caused the bed to shift, and Parker turned onto her back and watched as Jarod crawled beneath the covers and turned on his side to face her.

“Parker, are you sure about…” His sentence was cut off by Parker’s hand on his mouth.

“Just be with me tonight Jarod.” Parker muttered, her voice dropping an octave, as she pulled Jarod’s lips toward hers in a passionate kiss. Jarod’s head began to spin from lack of fresh air, and he broke away, gasping. Their eyes traveled along the curves of each other’s faces, before once again focusing on each other’s lips. The ache growing inside Jarod was becoming unbearable, but the nagging voice in the back of his mind made him turn away.

“Jarod?”

“I can’t do this Parker, God knows I want to, but not after what you’ve been through today.” Jarod moved to get up, but for the second time that evening, his wrist was captured in Parker’s firm grasp.

“Just stay here with me,” Parker said, before she let go of Jarod’s wrist and turned onto her side. He crawled back beneath the covers and brought his body close to hers, wrapping small form in his larger one and placing a soft kiss on her forehead. Parker’s tiny hands wrapped around Jarod’s and she pressed her body closer to Jarod’s chest, feeling his heart beat against her back. Jarod shut his eyes, breathing in the scent of her freshly washed hair, and began to drift into a contented sleep; however, before exhaustion over took him, Jarod heard Parker softly whisper, “Thank you,” before she to drifted into a deep sleep.

***************

Why do you affect me? Why do you affect me still?
Why do you hinder me? Why do you hinder me still?


***************

Sunlight streamed through a small space between the drapes in the hotel room, waking Jarod as it reflected against the inside of his eyelids. Parker’s leg had entangled itself with Jarod’s during the night, and her hand rested comfortably above his heart. Jarod brought the covers up around Parker’s shoulders and pulled her body closer to his, enjoying the warmth and sense of closeness the action provided. As Parker slept, the barriers she often placed on her emotions vanished, and Jarod marveled at the drastic change visible in her face. Instead of being filled with anger and pain, there was a trace of the emotions and vulnerability that had become buried deep within the barriers erected around her heart. Parker turned her face away from Jarod’s stare and her breath warmed the nape of his neck. He breathed in the sent of Parker’s hair and closed his eyes, savoring the moment, before slowly falling back asleep.

The shrill ringing of the cell phone tucked into Parker’s coat pocket suddenly woke both Parker and Jarod.

“I’ll get it,” Parker mumbled against Jarod’s neck as she untangled herself from the sheets and made her way over to her coat. The ringing ceased as Miss Parker brought the phone to her mouth and bluntly said, “What!?” into the receiver.

“Miss Parker?”

“Broots, what do you want?” Silence echoed through the receiver until Broots finally spoke, “Mr. Lyle knows you’re with Jarod.”

“What are you talking about Broots?”

“I was searching through the Centre database, and I stumbled into some of Mr. Lyle’s files. It seems that once Lyle found out Jarod had been contacting you at home, he out your house under surveillance.”

“That son of a bitch!” Parker stated harshly into the phone, her voice only portraying a fraction of the anger visible in her eyes. Jarod untangled himself from the sheets and went to stand next to Parker, putting his hand on her shoulder in silent support.

Bruts hesitantly continued,” The surveillance team saw you and Jarod leave the other night. Lyle gathered a team this morning; they left right before I called you.”

“Broots.”

“Yes Miss Parker?”

“Thank you,” she uttered before closing the phone and turning towards Jarod. “Lyle knows your with me, you have to get out of here.”

“I know,” Jarod said, bringing his hand to cup her face. She raised her lips to his, pausing only to softly whisper, “You better not disappear on me again Jarod,” against his lips, before covering them with her own. The intensity of the kiss was cut short as Parker turned her face away. “You better go,” she murmured, distancing herself from Jarod’s presence. He turned to gather up his belongings, before once again facing Miss Parker.

“Be careful Parker.”

“You to Jarod,” Parker said as Jarod turned and walked out of the room, leaving her alone to await Lyle and his surveillance team alone. Time dragged on and the silence in the room grew thick, until a loud knock echoed through the room. Parker picked up her gun from its place on the bed and moved towards the door.

“Open up Parker!” shouted Lyle, stepping back as the door suddenly opened and a gun was pointed at his chest.

“Hello Lyle.”

“Where’s Jarod?” he asked, eyeing the gun warily. Parker shrugged and moved aside as the team rushed into the room. Miss Parker stepped closer to Lyle and brought her gun up under his chin.

“If I ever find out you still have my house under surveillance, you’ll loose more than just your thumb,” she whispered into his ear before turning away and walking to her car. Lyle rubbed his jaw before yelling into the room and slamming the door shut.

***************

Why do you unnerve me? Why do you unnerve me still?
Why do you trigger me? Why do you trigger me still?


***************

Candlelight flickered throughout the house; its flame highlighting the brown hue of the scotch as it flowed from the bottle into Miss Parker’s glass. The sultry sound of jazz played softly in the background, calming her nerves and easing the headache that had been throbbing at her temples since her meeting with Lyle. Shadows cast by the candles played over Parker’s face, causing her to turn away from her reflection in the mirror. The scotch burned as it trailed down her throat and Miss Parker winced as the bitter liquid came in contact with her empty stomach. The ringing of the phone tainted the calmness she had been able to create despite her hectic life. Parker shook her hair out of her face, and picked up the phone. “What?!”

“I said I wouldn’t disappear on you.”

“Jarod.”

“Hello Miss Parker.”


Feedback: Please, please, please :O) Any constructive criticism or comments are welcomed, however; any flames will be taken care of by my purple dragon, Fred.