Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Not mine. Not that I wouldn't mind owning tP.



For Catherine

Part five
By: Starbeam



I rested in the warm bright light as visions of my life floated by. My first steps while my mom, Mrs. Rogers, watched me. Playing with Terry in the backyard when we were younger. My first day of school. I realized I missed them, but I didn't want to go back to live with them. I missed the freedom and love I had while living there. Sydney's love was strong and I'd never wish to leave him or Catherine. But I hated the Centre and this world I was trapped in. The scene of meeting my father and the time at the motel floated by and my heart sank. I could see how he had hated what he was doing. Then the day I found Catherine. It stopped then.

"Wake now, child." I heard Catherine Parker say to me. "Your papa is with you."

*********

"Charity, baby please come back to me." I heard my papa cry. He was holding my hand in his.

"Mmmm." I moaned.

"Baby" He said softly "You came back."

'I wouldn't leave you.' I said softly to myself wishing I could say it to him.

I reached my hand up to his face and felt it until I was at it's side. I ran my hand down his face then put it down. I felt so weak that it took everything I had to do it.

"Baby, let me see your beautiful greens." He said softly. I slowly opened my eyes for him. A second after I did I felt his hands run down over them. "You keep them closed if it's painful. I'm so sorry, Cherub, I tried to get back to you sooner...... Damn them all."

"Mmmm" I said trying to let him know it was okay.

"She's still with us." I heard Mr. Parker say obviously surprised that I was alive.

"No thanks to you." My father stormed "Stay away from her."

"You seem to forget that the child is Centre property." Mr. Parker said

"I don't give a damn if that's how you see her. She's MY daughter and I won't let you harm her any more then you already have." My father shot back while running his hand down my face.

"I didn't do this, Sydney." Mr. Parker said changing his tone of voice.

"But you allowed them to use her." My father said matter-of-factly.

"No!" Mr Parker barked "I did not. I wouldn't let anyone do such a thing to Charity or Catherine. Raines use them as subjects without permission."

"Why?" My father asked

"She's in so much pain and there's nothing Raines can do to change her present state. I was trying to do what I could to-to........."

I heard the door open, then close.

"Charity, do you want to leave us now?" My father whispered as he ran a hand through my hair. I shook my head slowly.

'There has to be away to-to.......' I said to myself 'I can't stay this way, but I don't want to die.'

" I'll be back in a minute. Travis is back, too. I'll have him come watch over you until I come back." Sydney told me.

"Mmmm" I answered

The door opened and closed again and I was alone for a moment. Then the door opened and some one walked up to me.

"Hey, Charity, you're not allowed to leave without me saying you can." Travis said "God, kid you're a mess."
I tried to smile as I nodded.

"Teach me to go off to training. I can leave you alone for even a few days. Gee, kiddo some day you're going to have to learn to take care of yourself." He told me.

I nodded again.

"I-I'm sorry they did this to you." His tone changed from trying to cheer me, to grief by my state of being. "Catherine told me that you saved her life. That makes you the best thing around. I'll remember that next time I need help." He laughed.
I shook my head.

"Oh so you'll only help little you, um?" He asked running his hand through my hair.

"Mm" I said as I nodded.

"So you're not in a talking mood?" He said almost breaking the cheerfulness in his voice.

I nodded

"Well, when you are we have some things to talk about." He said

I turned my face to where his voice was coming from.

"I don't care for one way conversations." He laughed.

"Mmmm" I said

"Not till you're better, chum." He told me as the door opened again

"Mr. Parker won't let any of the Centre doctors help us, so I called the best and he's on his way." Sydney said walking back into the room.
.


TBC