Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer I don't own them NBC does.



Recovery
' The Innocent '
by Shannon




Part I and part II


After processing what Jarod just said, Parker finally found her voice.

"I must be hearing things! Did you say take you in? As in back to the Centre, " she enunciates each word clearly, and shakes her head still shocked that he would even ask.

"You heard me."

"ARE YOU NUTS? For the past three years you have eluded me like the plague. And now you want me to take you in. What are you up to?"she glares at him.

"Miss Parker, if you would take that glare out of your stare for a minute, I will explain";he says amused," I need to get back inside, but believe me I have no intention of staying."

"Of course you'll stay. Do you really think that they'll let you escape again?" she replies, "You have escaped too many times."

‘’Please, Parker. Don't insult my intelligence. The centre can't hold me, but I need to go back for a few weeks.";

‘’WHY???"; she demands.

‘’Do you really want to know?"; he asks menacingly; ‘’You may not like what I discovered, I sure didn't. After all once you take me back, you get to walk away. That I will make sure of."

‘’And once you escape , again, then I have to come back and hunt you down all over.";

‘’I take that to be a no, then. That's fine. Perhaps Lyle would like to receive all of Daddy's approval for bringing the twisted little science experiment back home"; Jarod sneets, watching Parker bristle.

‘’Jarod, I'm not in the mood for games, not tonight. Tell me why you need to go back so badly and I will consider taking you in. How I am going to manage that though should prove interesting, considering that I'm out on medical leave";she replies rather wearily, but sees Jarod smirk.

‘’Why do I bother to even worry. You have it all worked out, don't you?"

‘’Uh huh. Now I'll be right back"; Jarod nods and retreats into Parker's house to return a few minutes later with her overnight case.

‘’Excuse me? Where the hell do you get off going into my bedroom?"; Parker snaps caustically.

‘’Road trip."; Jarod chuckles, knowing that Parker is irked by the fact that he managed to find his was around her house so easily.

‘’BUT . ..’’

‘’No buts, Parker. If you want to know, then let's go"; Jarod leads her down the deck of the porch to a small path that leads through the woods to a house directly behind her's. It is unoccupied, yet Jarod has the key to the garage door and ushers Parker in. Opening the door to a black Lexus ES300, Parker takes a seat in the comfortable leather seat as Jarod comes around after putting her overnight bag in the trunk. He opens the door and slides into the car, and reaches for his sunglasses.

‘’What about being followed? There were sweepers stationed outside my house. Just in case you should show up."; Parker comments.

‘’Taken care of . The sweepers left to follow up a lead about ten minutes ago. Now be a good little girl and fasten your seatbelt."

Jarod places the key in the ignition and reaches for a small remote that is located above the visor. Pressing it, the garage door silently opens and Jarod pulls the car out, then presses the remote once more to close the door.

The car deftly picks up speed and makes for the highway, Parker taking in the scenery, for its been a couple of weeks since she had even been ou of her house since the shooting.

‘’You realize that I now know where we are going"; she informs her driver.
‘’Do you? Parker relax. Once we reach our destination, I will tell you all that you need to know in order to make your desision."; Jarod replies rather annoyed with her. He reaches over and presses the paly button on the car's stereo, waiting. Gentle melodies of music, soflty fill the car as the two continue to travel on a road that only one knows.

*********6 HOURS LATER

Jarod turns onto a long concrete drive and pulls into the circle and cuts the engine. Glancing over at his passenger, who is asleep and has been for the past two hours. Looking so peaceful and content, he does not have the heart to try and wake her. So slowly he opens the passenger door and lifts her out of the car. Parker snuggles against his shoulder and slips and arm around his neck as he carries her into the georgian style house that loom in front of them.

‘’Dr. Brazelton, you're back? You made good time. Do you and the missus care for a lite supper? It's already. Let me bring it to the room."; a young girl rushes on breathlessly.

‘’Shhhhh, Maitland. The missus has had a long day and is extremely tired, so I will put her to bed and if she awakens later, I can get the supper that you have prepared for us. How is everything? Any problems?"; Jarod inquires.

‘’None, sir. The hospital called though, the Callahan baby is doing fine on the new medication. The parents are extremely grateful. They hope to see you in the morning"; the girl informs him.

‘’Thank you, Maitland. Now go and do whatever it is that young people like you do on Friday nights. I can take it from here"; Jarod glances down at the still sleeping form of Miss Parker. She would sleep awhile, due to the sleeping pill he gave her along with her painkillers. He hated that he had to do it but. . . .

‘’And Maitland, how many times must I tell you to call me Jarod"; he smiles.

‘’Good night DR. Braz. . .Jarod."

‘’Good night Maitland"; Jarod calls quietly over his shoulder as he ascends the stairs of the house. Reaching the top of the stairs, he opens the door to the bedroom and places Parker's sleeping form on the bed. He brushes the hair away from around her face and looks down at her, watching her sleep so peacefully. After a minute or two of wistful thinking, Jarod strides across the room to another door and enters it.Seeing the rocking chair that is illuminated by the small night light, he sinks into it slowly and closes his weary eyes.



PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com