Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

To all those who gave feedback thank you. So heres the litany of standard clauses
Disclaimer: Don't own them, no infringement on who does I just need to play.



Recovery
' Battle Lines '
by Shannon









Part IX

Jarod and Parker stood just inside the ballroom, her back pressed hard against the wall, their lips locked together. From the patio, they could hear the agitated voices of the two men building up to a frenzied crescendo.

"My apologies, Parker," he whispered, sincerely, as he broke the contact their lips had just shared. A somewhat chagrined-look crossed Parker's features when she no longer felt his lips on hers.

Nice night to be seduced, thought Parker, then realized that it was Jarod who had kissed her. This was business and not pleasure. The fact that he had told her to shut up still burned in the back of her brain, let alone that he called her "woman." No one did that and walked away from her unscathed.

However, Jarod couldn't be entirely sure just who was seducing whom. This was "Parker" and she radiated pure sexuality. Jarod found it difficult to concentrate on the matter at hand, or even to remember what the matter at hand was. He had to stay focused, remember why he was------

Those lips, their softness, the fact that she did not resist. . . .

God, he might as well slap himself in the head, this was Parker.

"I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted," she said in a low sultry voice.

"Indeed. I wasn't expecting this to happen," he returned in hushed tones.

And at that moment both heard a name that caused them to straighten slightly and take notice.

*************************************

The evening had a chill in the air, the sky was a dark midnight blue and not a cloud could be seen. The two men stood huddled on the patio, there in the darkness, hoping that no one would interrupt them. Five minutes passed before Jefferson turned to Reggie, anger flashing in his eyes.

"So, where the hell is he? I thought you invited him?" Jefferson asked anger in his voice.

"I did, but we have more serious problems than him at the moment. The board received a rather generous donation toward the building of the trauma unit today, and well. . ."

"Well, what?" Jefferson spat.

"Samantha didn't tell you. It was accepted, concessions and all. The gift was in the amount of 5 million dollars. . . ."

"So. . . What does that have to do with our arrangement with".

"In order for the hospital to receive the money, the anonymous donor asked for two things. Sister Josylen agreed and Samantha did too. First the name of the unit will be known as the Thomas Gates Trauma Unit and secondly, Dr. Kalina Dimitrova is to head it."

"So where is the problem?" Jefferson voiced his question is an exasperated tone.

"The problem, my dear, Jefferson, is that Kalina knows Raines. . . ."

"That's wonderful. Isn't it? Another ally."

"Hell, no! She detests the man. He was married to her sister Anya and ther's no love lost. She will not allow him any where near this hospital. I actually believe that she would kill him if she saw him here."

"So we make sure she doesn't come here."

"Right! What do you want to do? Kill her?"

"Sure, why not? Raines has access to a squad of goons, let him take care of it. We are on thin ice with him anyway. If you had not blundered so badly with the last birth, he would not. . . ."

"It was not my fault. He would not listen. I told him not all the test results were back. Did he listen? No, he went ahead with the procedure anyway. That the child was premature, and ill was not my fault. It happens, infants die. Anyway we pawned that infant off on Brazelton. He doesn't have a clue as to what those infants are?"

"I hope you are right? I just feel uncomfortable around him. He's to smart for his own good and that wife of his doesn't strike me as stupid either." Jefferson retorted.

"Please, Faith Brazelton has an infant daughter at home to take care of. She won't be a problem." Reggie returned.

"Fine, so, when do we meet with Raines? I have the newest shipment of . . . "

"Shut up you fool, someone might hear you. Tomorrow. Edgebrooke Park at five. Can you make it?"

"No problem, I'll be there." Jefferson said as he turned to return into the ballroom," I should get back inside. Samantha should have arrived by now. I want some more information on this anonymous benefactor the hospital suddenly seems to have found."

"Fine. Go back in. I think that I will stay out here for a while. My nerves are shot. I think I'll enjoy one of my cigars before rejoining the festivities"

****************************

Jarod looked into Parker's blue eyes and smiled. Both understood what just transpired between the two men on the patio. They received more information regarding Raines sick operation then they had hoped for.

"So he was supposed to be here?" Parker whispered in his ear,"What did you do to prevent him from coming?"

"If Broots found the clue I left. Raines and company took a jaunt to the West Coast and came up empty handed. Now before we get caught eavesdropping, may I escort my lovely wife on a tour of the rose gardens." Jarod said and offered Parker his arm.

"Of course you may."

The two strolled casually out onto the patio and greeted the two men with smiles and continued to walk into the rose gardens, heads together in serious discussion.





Feedback please! I will be using this story series in my English class. Giglbarbe@aol.com