Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer in in part one Recovery. This is part 4. For those who have read it bear with me and for those who wish to thanks. I am using this in school so I will eventually let you know how I do on it.
Shannon




Recovery
' The Innocent '
by Shannon






Part IV

"Then you know how Raines used comatose patients for surrogates," Jarod said anger dripping like venom from his voice.

"Yes, Broots discovered that tidbit of information for me. In fact, I think that was the first time I ever saw the man drink, and straight, he was so replused by it." Parker cringed slightly at the memory.

"Well then to answer your question as to where this little one came from. Her mother was one of those comatose patients." Jarod informed her, as he watched her deftly burp the baby,then returned the bottle to an insistent mouth.

"Jarod, stop staring. Just get to the point. I take it that this little one is part of the reason you want to go back to the Centre."

"Sorry. Where was I? Oh yes, when I joined the staff of the hospital here, it was because two infants where born to comatose patients with no families, then the infants just disappeared.No trace of them at all unless you knew what to look for in the computer files. So when this one was born, I made her disappear, after I ran some tests. Suffice it to say the lab work came back and it was what I expected."

"She's me. Isn't she?" Parker said softly the later not a question but a statement of fact.

"Yes, but that's not the scary part, Parker, the other two. I found their files and. . ."

"Let me guess, you ." she watched Jarod nod his head in the affirmative.

"Just one, the other is Kyle. That's only half of it, its happening in other hospitals. Parker, the Centre is rebuilding the red files from the beginning but this time there are no families to interfere with their plans. There is no Catherine Parker to save them.

Parker's eyes locked with his eyes and both reflected frustration, anger and pain.

"Let me put her down for her nap," Jarod said as he got up and took Jamie from Parker's arms and rocked her back and forth, humming softly. The baby's eyelids drooped and slowly he walked over to the crib, still rocking her and put her down.

"She's half asleep, already," he whispered.

Parker shook her head in amazement at his easy way with the baby. Fatherhood fit him like a glove. They withdrew from the nursery and closed the door gently behind them. Parker was starting to regain some of her composure, after all that Jarod had told her, it left her feeling numb.

"Tell me about her? Everything!" she asked in a calm low voice, as they stood in the bedroom facing each other," Why Jamie?"

"She needed her own name, something no one could take away. Anyway, one Meg Parker is more than I can handle. So in honor of your mother, I opted to use Jamie. . ."

"For Jameson. Why not Catherine or even Faith?" Parker asked.

"That is for you to use, with your own children, Parker." Jarod replied.

"Highly doubtful," Parker answered him, " I've seen what happens at the Centre."

"What? No children of your own."

"Enough about whether or not I'll have children. Tell me about that child that's sleeping in that room, there." Parker said as she made herself comfortable on the bed.

"As I said earlier, her mother was used as a surrogate. A victim in her own right, really. A 17 year old child. Entire family destroyed by a drunk driver, yet someone on the hospital staff was in league with the Centre. With no remaining family, she was kept alive and inseminated. Unfortunately not all the medical tests on her were back and it was discovered that she was a diabetic. Little Jamie was premature and it was doubtful that she would survive."

"I suppose that you know who is using patients at the hospital?" Parker asked.

"Oh a greedy bastard, Head of the ER, Dr. Reginald Loomis, turns out that he went to medical school with our delightful Dr. Raines," Jarod spat.

"Is it just greed or is there more to this little partnership?"

"Oh course there is more. Loomis was about to lose his license and it seems that the Centre intervened. A coincidence, I don't think so," Jarod growled.

"How did you end up with the baby?"

"I was investigating the other two disappearances and when Jamie was born, I was called into consult. She was designated as a failure to thrive baby and there was the possibility of other complications, such as learning disabilities. Once I got all the lab results back, I knew what she was, so I doctored the charts. Then I made her just disappear too."

"And you are sure that Loomis is working for Raines?"

"Please Parker, the ghoul actually paid good ole Reggie a nocturnal visit. I have it on video, if you are interested. He was livid about the fact that this clone would be useless. His words not mine. Claimed that he would have to wait another 4 months for the next girl to be born. He said, and I quote, " I always realized that you were an incomptent fool, Reggie, but you were not the only one doing this for me. Next time you screw up, I will let the dogs have you."

Parker felt the rage for the man in her grow. He was a dead man, one way or another, he would pay.

"What happened to. . ." Parker did not need the answer for it showed in his dark eyes.

"Died during delivery," his voice was full of bitterness.

"So you want to go back to the Centre for what? Revenge, maybe?"

"In a sense. I need to find out what other hospitals are involved and I need to know where the others are? They are not being kept at Donoterase, that place was stripped clean. I went back, hoping to find something."

At that, there was a knock at the door.

"Dr. Jarod, uhm. . . Dr. Loomis is here to see you," Maitland announced.

"Damn. Thank you, Maitland. Show him to the my study and I will be down momentarily, " Jarod replied a bit annoyed at this interruption.

"Yes, sir," and with that Maitland withdrew.

"What does he want, Jarod? Is it possible that he knows what you are up to?"

"No," he mentioned something about stopping briefly. There is a dinner at the country club tonight and he wants me to go. Its a major fund raiser for the new trauma unit the hospital is trying to build."

"Well then, darling let's not keep the little drone waiting," Parker said a smirk forming on her features.

"Parker, this could be dangerous."

"I can take care of myself, wonder-boy, but I need to meet the other players in this game. Then I will decide."

"Decide what?"

"If I take you back to where the good times are!" she laughed as she opened the door to the hallway," Lead on McDuff!"

"Good times, my ass, Parker," he whispered in her ear.



PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com