Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer I don't own them NBC does.



Recovery
' The Innocent '
by Shannon





Part III

It was the next morning, sunlight crept through the blinds that covered the windows, and Parker was coming out of a deep slumber with that warm unrestrained feeling. She hadn't had the dream and was lazily wondering how to spend the day, when she realized this wasn't her bed. Or her room.

"Jarod," damn him, she thought, yet she had willingly agreed to this little jaunt into the unknown. God, had she heard him right last night, he wanted her to take him back to the Centre. Her head was going to start spinning, so instead she leaned back on the goosedown pillows and surveyed the bedroom, impressed by his impeccable taste. For someone, who spent his entire life sheltered from the real world, he sure had aquired a taste for the finer things in life. There had been no expense spared as far as this pretend was concerned. But then again, the lab rat had probably paid for it out of Centre funds. She laughed out loud at the thought. A sudden knock at the door pulled Parker back to reality and dealing with the fact that wonderboy had slipped her a sleeping pill.

"What?" she called out quite expecting Jarod to stroll causually into the room, but unprepared for the petite young girl that did, instead. An upturned nose, violet eyes, and a heart shaped face surrounded by auburn curls, she entered with a rattan breakfast try with a smile as wide as the Grand Canyon.

"Dr. Bra. . .Jarod was called to the hospital early this morning. He left instructions to make sure that you rested and he would join you for lunch, around noon, if not sooner, the girl rambled non-stop and placed the tray across Parker's lap. The aroma of coffee assailed Parker's nostrils, also on the tray was a bowl of fresh fruits- strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew and bananas. Also in the small silver vase was a cluster of forget-me-nots. Parker turned her gaze from the tray to the young girl, who was drawing the blinds and opening the windows, allowing the morning light into the room.

"Excuse me, but do you have a moniker or something?" Parker asks really not wanting to be rude, for she was enjoying the pampering.

"Maitland Keating, Missus," she answered demurely," I hope that everything is to your liking, if not I can have Cook prepare somthing else."

"No, this is fine. You said that Jarod was called to the hospital this morning."

"Yes, Missus. He did not want to but it was a consult, a young infant was brought into the hospital with encephalitis. Dr. Jarod was specifically requested by the parents. He is so good with children, especaily your little. . ." Maitland broke off the conversation quickly.

Parker was still trying to absorb all the information and see if she could form an educated guess as to why Jarod needed to return to the centre. The only obvious conclusion was that it had something to do with children, as usual. The Innocent as he called them.

"The bathroom is located here," Maitland indicated the door to the right of Parker;s bed. Dr. Jaord explained that he bought the house as a surprise for you but that the accident kept you hospitalized for weeks," she replied, her perkiness beginning to grate on Parker's nerves.She hated morning people. She had other things to think about, anyway. Like just what was wonder boy up too.

"If you don't need me for anything else, I have things to attend too. Just leave the tray, I'll clear it later," and with that done Maitland Keating blew out of the room like a summer breeze.

Parker sipped her coffee and picked at the fruit before spying her overnight bag on the chair by a door that she presumed to be the closet. Extricating herself from the sheets, she padded over and opened the door. Not only did Jarod have impeccable taste in decor but exquisite taste in fashion. Parker ran her fingers over such designers as Vera Wong, Donna Karan, and Vesace. After selecting a pair of DK burgandy pants that tapered at the ankle and a white satin blouse, Parker scooped up her lingerie from the overnight case and headed for the bathroom. she opened the shower stall door and adjusted the temperature of the water. Stepping in she let the warm water cascade down her body, letting it loosen up her stiff shoulder. Still tyring to piece together what she knew, which was nothing, she still could not hazard a guess as to why anyone that was sane wanted to go back to the Centre. THATS IT, she thought, JAROD IS NO LONGER SANE. Reaching for the towel, Parker quickly dried off. Once her hair was brushed, makeup in place and outfit donned, Parker left the bathroom to discover that her breakfast tray had been removed and the bed made. She also noticed that the door to the left to the fireplace was partially ajar. Entering it cautiously, Parker was stunned to hear the sound of crying coming from the room, half expecting to find Maitland, she was shocked to look into a small round chubby face, blue eyes ,pouty lips, surrounded by reddish brown curls. She recognized this little face that stared up at her from the crib, for this face stared back at her everyday at work, in a framed photograph of her mother and. . .

"Oh my god," she murmured and reached down and picked up the infant,"Where did you come from little one?"

"That is probably one of the stupidest questions you will ever ask Parker," a deep voice from the doorway replied.

"Jarod, you have some explaining to do!" Parker said turning to face him still cuddling the infant.

"Deja vu," was all Jarod said and nodded his head.

The baby made a gurgling noise. Her tiny fist was over her mouth , so that it was a muffled noise. Jarod stared at Parker, blinking. Shaking his head, he stared at her again.

"Parker, I have something to tell you."

"Obviously."

"Parker, some strange incidents have been happening in area hospital, recently- - -"

Parker said nothing, just stared at him mutely.

"Parker," he said tightly.

"Tell me, why is it always your doorstep, so to speak? Why you?"

He was silent, he sensed, like a swirling tornado, her anger, frustration, and bewilderment. The baby's cry rang around them, tugging at Parker's heart.

"She hungery," she whispered, placing a knuckle by tiny lips, that sought it eagerly. He could only nod. There was a knock at the door. They stared at it, preoccupied, uncomprending, as if it were a knock from another world. The door opened, Maitland walked in, breaking the growing tension.

"Oh! I didn't hear you come home, Dr. Jarod. I have Jamie's bottle," Maitland said quietly, placing it into Parker's outstreched hand.

"Thank you Maitland. That will be all for now, " Parker addressed her curtily.

"Yes Maitland, that will be all for now. We can take it from here," Jarod said, a smile on his face as he ushered the young girl to the door.

"She sure is glad to have her mother back home," Maitland remarked before the door was gently closed beind her.

Jaord tried to hide the smirk that was about to grace his features at that innocent remark. After all, he had let the poor girl believe that Parker was this child's mother and his wife. God, Parker was going to relish the idea of returning him to the Centre, he thought. Turning around he fully expected to suffer the wrath of the Miss Parker, he knew. Instead, he found her rocking rythmically in the rocker, with Jamie securely nestled in her arms, contently suckling her bottle.

Casting him a side ways glance, Parker looked at Jarod with anticipation in her blue eyes.

"You said that you had something to tell me."

"Uh, huh!"Jarod ran his fingers through his hair befor taking a seat on the carpet in front of Parker and the baby.

"What do you know about project Gemini?"

"Enough to make me sick to my stomach. Why?"



TBC


PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com