Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is in part 1. This is for Niceole and Trish who continually nagged me and told me in no uncertain terms no more round robins if I don't finish a new part. .and when a girl is down with mono there isn't much on can do but rest and write....okay so its late and I've done more round robins than stories. . . . .the first ten parts are at www.the-pretender.de



Recovery
' Battle Lines '
by Shannon




Part XI

Parker and Jarod walked out of the rose garden, shrouded in silence. Each deep in their own thoughts about what had just happened. She was furious at herself, from being spyed upon to going along with this pretend was one thing, but to get so caught up in the moment was a whole other game. Darting a sideways glance at Jarod, Parker saw that he was lost in his own set of thoughts. His dark eyes were darker, his brow furrowed, as though he was comprehending what had transpired between them also.

God, he thought, she felt so good in his arms, his mouth to hers, her body pressed against his. He hadn't realized that having her here was going to be such a distraction. That hadn't been part of the plan. Hell, it never even occurred to him. He had simmed this little pretend, and never in his sim, let alone his wildest dreams, did making out with Parker even enter into the picture. That's not exactly true, he chided himseelf, kissing her occasionally had entered into the picture, but not like long time lovers. Or did it, he smiled, slightly, then buried it when he caught her watching him.

They were greeted at the patio doors by Reginald and Sloane, who directed them to the table up front, which seemed to be the center of attention. And why shouldn't it, for at the head of it sat the regal Sister Joslyn. She smiled warmly and indicated the seats on each side of her for the couple. Jarod pulled out the chair on the right of Sister Joslyn and extended his hand for Parker to sit. As he pushed the chair in toward the table his fingers brushed her forearms sending shivers down her spine.

"Did you two enjoy the rose garden?" the older woman asked, a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eyes. Parker felt her cheeks flood with warmth and images of what happened in the garden flashed through her mind. Jarod took his seat opposite of Parker and noticed the pink bloom to her cheeks.

"The roses were lovely but only one caught my eye," his eyes locked with Parker's and her cheeks shaded even more.

"Really! Which one was that?"

"The bud that is barely open, for the surprise is in the bloom."

"Well said, Jarod, well said," Sister Joslyn, smiled, a tiny barely there smile on her features," How is little Jamie doing, if I might ask?"

Taking this opportunity, Parker turned to look at the woman who had just an hour or two earlier given her a picture of not only her mother but her twin sister also.

"Jamie cut a tooth, today."

"There will be many sleepless nights ahead," Sister remarked, returning Parker's gaze," Why don't you and young Jamie have supper with me tomorrow, my dear? I know that you have many questions and this isn't the place to talk."

Parker nodded, as though this woman had read her mind and didn't leave anything hidden. She locked onto Jarod's dark chocolate eyes, and saw him grin, that rather irritating smirk of his.

"And you will join us won't you, Jarod?" Sister Joslyn stated.

"Of course," he smiled.

"Good, Edgebrook Estates, number 12 at four," the woman rose from her chair," Now if you will excuse me, but I have a major announcement to make regarding the trauma unit. The middle-aged woman made her way to the podium that housed the orchestra. She slowly climbed the stairs aided by an attractive thirtyish-something young woman. Her dark brown hair was pulled up in a chignon with small strands framing her oval face. She took a place next to Sister Joslyn at the podium, and cast a quick glance in Jarod's direction, her features furrowing when she noticed that Jarod only had eyes for the stunning woman that sat on Sister's right. Parker smiled slightly as she caught sight of the green eyed monster that flickered across Samantha Ravington's face.

"Something amusing you, Parker?" Jarod whispered as he slid into the vacated seat, taking hold of her hand.

"She's jealous, and of a fictious couple," Parker purred," If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if you did anything to encourage it."

"MOI," Jarod said shocked. Her laughter floated through the ballroom, and her blue eyes glittered in the firelight from the candles that decorated the tables, "Perhaps the green eyed monster is of your own making, Parker."

Her eyes narrowed and she started to protest when he placed a thumb on her lips to silence her.

"Me thinks that the lady doth protest too much," he whispered as he moved closer to her, his hand now cupping her chin and lifting it toward his lowering lips.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I now turn tonight's festivites over to Sister Joslyn."

The applause was thunderous as the woman took a position in front of the microphone.

"Samantha,my dear, thank you. Ladies, gentlemen and colleagues, it is with great pleasure that I can make the announcment that the goal for the trauma unit was reached at four this afternoon. An unknown benefactor was gracious enough to fund the new unit, now known as the Thomas Gate's Trauma Center. And at six this evening, the distinugished and respected Dr. Kalina Dimitrova accepted the position to head it. And as an added bonus and incentive to lure the best residents here, a scholarship program has also been established, its purpose to allow the best and brightest residents who wish to work in the trauma unit the chance to do so. The Jamieson scholarship program will be headed up by Dr. Jarod Brazelton and his lovely wife, Faith," Sister said, stunning the room into silence, momentarily, then to a roar of appaluse, again.

Jarod felt her whole body tense then freeze as he pulled his lips away from hers, the look in her eyes almost murderous.

"If they take our picture, we're, no, let me amend that, you're dead," she whispered into his ear.

"I didn't know she was going to do that, Parker, believe me, please, " he looked at her with dark brown eyes, "You wouldn't do that to our daughter, would you, leave her fatherless, or would you?"

"Low, labrat, that was low," she returned his grin, her lips mere inches from his, her breath warm on his face, her eyes twinkling mirthfully.


TBC



Feedback please! Giglbarbe@aol.com