Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is in part one. Don't own the characters but do like to play with them. . . I want to thank Niceole and Trish for proofing this . . . .you both were right it flows so much better. . . . .Shannon


~~~~~~~~~"All the fabric of my reign, little by little, is beginning to fall."~~~~~~~~
Elizabeth I (1603)

~~~~~~~~~~



Fraying Fabric
2/?
by Shannon





"I see you," he whispered, " I know what this cost you, Parker."

She stared at him, wanting to turn away but couldn't, she forgot how he could read her, and see the pain and sadness in her eyes.

"Jarod. . I . .. I had to. . ."

"There's some unfinished business to take care of," he said softly.

"Right now the only unfinished business is for you to get well," she brushed her hand across his brow, noting that he was warm to her touch, " Go back to sleep, Jarod. Rest, just rest."

The worst is still to come, isn't it Jarod, she thought to herself, solemnly, as she watched him close his eyes. Soon his breathing changed, indicating that he returned to the land of slumber. She sat there and stared at him and thought about everything that led up to this moment. She thought so much that her head started to hurt. The days to come made her fearful, what had he discovered that led him g to getting caught as well as taking the beating he had received. Damn sweepers, they almost killed him. Her father left him down in the deepest cell that only a few even knew existed. If it hadn't been for Angelo, she would still be trying to track him down in the outside world. No one had told her that he was back. She almost wondered if it was so that she didn't leave. What horror had he uncovered to add to her already topsy-turvey life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angelo inched his way along the air ventilation duct. Ahead of him on the right was another duct, that one led to the Chairman's office. He headed down it, stopping when he reached to air grate, his computer was already set-up and soon he opened his internet connection.

"He got out," the Chairman snarled," Question is how?"

Mr. Parker sat in the black leather chair and stared hard at the two men that stood on the opposite side of the desk. Each shuffled awkwardly at the question the man just posed.

"He's Jarod, did you except the cell to hold him, even in the bowels of the Centre," the voice belonged to Mr. Lyle, who's cool demeanor betrayed his nervousness at the situation.

"Lyle, besides Mr. Cox, myself and the sweepers that got a little excessive in the force they had to use to bring him in, you were the only other person that knew he was back. My biggest problem is that he didn't have the information on him or if he even accessed it."

"What information would that be?"

"Something that if it fell into the wrong hands could destroy the delicate fabric of the Centre."

"So, you're accusing me of helping the lab rat. Or are you curious if I told anyone that he was here? The answer to that is NO, infactically, NO! I'm not an id . iot. . . . ."

"Mr. Lyle, it seems that a light bulb lit up in that brain of yours. Care to enlighten your father and I," Mr. Cox said, slowly, turning to look at the chairman.

"The Centre idiot. . . .Angfreak. He could have helped him or told Sydney that he was back. He did it the last time when Jarod was back, took Sydney to see him, I mean."

"Or is it possible that your sister helped him escape?" Mr. Cox questioned the man.

"Please be serious, she wants him back safe and sound so that she can leave," Lyle replied," And anyway she was with us when he escaped. Why would she join his side after all this time? Or is there something you're not telling me? Perhaps the information that Jarod has, could it be useful to Parker?"

The two men passed a discreet glance in the others direction, which was lost on Mr. Lyle but not lost on the interloper in the shaft above them.

"Jarod knows truth. Tell daughter. Daughter betrayed by father," whispered the voice, as fingers flew across the computer keyboard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Turning from the window, she looked over at the slumbering form, her mind wandering down a path that had not been traveled for a long time. Her relationship with Jarod. A relationship more complicated than life, itself.

Not that Jarod wasn't a friend. He had been, a long time ago. And in his eyes, he still was. When she learned of his friendship with Thomas, of his role as matchmaker, it lead to some nasty feelings of ambivalence. Perhaps they were understandable after all if Jarod hadn't sent Thomas into her life, Tommy would still be alive. Restoring homes and hearts, somewhere. On the other hand, she'd never have felt as loved as she had when with Tommy. He had found a piece of her, a piece she had believed died the day her mother did.

So basically, it came down to mixed feelings toward the Centre, which was working to destroy something that destroyed so much of their lives, already. And now. How did she feel about Jarod? How would she feel about whatever truths he had discovered? Here. Today. Truth be told, she was scared. Scared that the life she had led all these years was nothing but a fabrication of someone else's truth.




feedback sent to Giglbarbe@aol.com and remember that I am only 13 3/4