Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is in part one. . . .this story has taken a different path than originally intended . . . . .Feedback is appreciated.Contains SPOILERS from season 4 so be warned. . . .



Fraying Fabric
par 5
by Shannon




When we are young
Wandering the face of the earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal---
For a limited time.
Rush,"Dreamline"



"And are you going to follow this thread, Miss Parker?" Sydney asked, concern mirrored in his eyes, as he watched her feed her baby brother.

He believed that her concern for her baby brother stemmed from the fact that she was the one that brought him into this world and with the death of Brigette, she had not only accepted the role of big sister but surrogate mother as well. He wondered what would have happened between the two women, if Brigette had lived. Jarod had given her a small part of a very big puzzle that was still missing many of it pieces and for that she was grateful. She had some closure regarding Thomas Gates' death but not all the answers had come out of that revelation. Now it seemed that Jarod was again holding the needle and she had to follow where the thread lead.

"To the very end, Syd," she removed the bottle from the baby's mouth and carefully wiped the small droplets of formula from the corner of his mouth before she placed him over her shoulder, patting his back gently.

"I thought you hated unraveling Jarod's little mysteries," he inquired, walking closer to the rocking chair.

"This is one mystery that has me intrigued, Syd. I just have to follow the thread through the maze," she smiled as a burp escaped the baby's lips," What a good boy!"

"You'll tell me when the time is right, won't you?" Sydney said as he turned and headed toward the door. " I'd like to help, in any way that I can."

"If and when, Syd" she leaned her head back in the rocker as she watched the tall figure retreat out of the nursery. Reaching a hand into the pocket of her cranberry jacket, Parker removed a small glass vial that housed what looked like a small plastic toothbrush. With great care, she gently and carefully placed the toothbrush in the baby's mouth and scraped the side of his cheek. Removing the brush, she slide it into the glass vial, capped it and then placed it in her pocket. She then resumed the rocking motion, and cuddled the infant close to her until he fell asleep in her arms. It wasn't until the nurse returned that Miss Parker left the nursery and went in search of Broots.

****

"And?" she whispered, causing the startled technician to jump.

"Doctor Wallace Cooper was arrested three months ago on murder charges He's at the Alden Falls Correctional Facility serving 30 years."

"He murdered his colleague didn't he," Miss Parker glared at the man," Well?"

"Presley Stuart, was found murdered in her home. Police originally believed that she had come home to find a burglar in the house. Jarod was the one that lead the police to Cooper's doorstep, so to speak. Cooper and Stuart worked for a company called BioTech. It's a medical facility that does research on genetic diseases as well as other projects. Stuart was working on what she hoped would be a breakthrough for CF."

"Get to the point, Broots," she snapped.

"Doctor Cooper was on someone else's payroll. Seems that BioTech is owned by a company, called Genetomics. Stuart discovered that there was more than research going on."

"What Broots? I can't shoot you or I'd never find out."

"Genetomics is the leading facility regarding research on the human genome in the country, Miss Parker and its owned impart by a group that we are very familiar with. . . ." he looked her in the eyes, shaking his head.

"The Centre," she whispered," So that's why Dr. Stuart died, isn't it, Broots?"

"She discovered that Cooper was involved with a classified project for Genetomics, which involved maniuplating the human genome to create designer babies, that's what lead Jarod to BioTech, in the first place. Cooper's speciality before heading into research was obstetrics. He taught at Harvard Medical, until taking the position at BioTech in 1998. "

Miss Parker's head shot up at the mention of Harvard Medical School but didn't say anything and motioned for Broots to continue.

"It was Cooper that set Jarod up, Miss Parker. Cooper knew who Jarod was, how I have no idea but he figured that he would score points with the Centre. Cooper contacted someone here at the Centre and you will never in a million years guess who. . . " he smiled.

"Cox," she whispered, and watched the grin from his face fade.

"When they caught Jarod, though, they left Cooper out in the cold. How did you know? About Cox?"

"Something that he mentioned in passing a few months ago," she replied," So how did they tempt the wonder boy?"

"I'm not sure exactly but whatever information Cox gave to Cooper for Jarod to discover, he not only took it, but dug further, something they figured on. He broke into the Centre's mainframe, downloaded information that only your father and Mr. Cox had access too. Then about a week after that some hard copy files from the archives disappeared.

"And?"

"Whatever he downloaded is missing from the mainframe."

"Copies, somewhere?" she said questioningly, then realized that she had the only copies, now thanks to Jarod.

"None but that's not the end of it, Miss Parker, " he stopped himself, glanced around the room, leaned closer to her, then continued," He came back."

"Why would he risk coming back to a place he hated?" the voice came from just inside the doorway. Parker looked up and Broots turned around to see Sydney standing there, arms cross, patiently awaiting an explaination.

"That's just it, I think he wanted to get caught," Broots said as he walked over to the DSA reader and inserted a silver disc. She and Sydney watched in fascinated horror as Jarod struggled to get away from the two sweepers, and yet. . . .

"He's taking the beating and not putting up much of a fight," Broots stated.

"Obviously," she snapped, so he had come for the boy.

"Question is why?" Sydney said as he turned and leveled an icy stare at Miss Parker," And you know why he did it, don't you? It has something to do with that envelope he sent you."

****

A shudder wracked the pretender's frail body, his face twisted in pain, but he did not fall. He closed his eyes, lines of worry and doubt washed over him. He slumped forward, weakly catching hold of the countertop to steady himself. Making his way back to the bed, he slipped under the covers and drifted into a restless sleep.

The dreams came. Jarod felt his lungs seize and his breathing became harder. It was as though he was drowning without the water. Jarod woke to find Ben standing over him, shaking him gently.

"Jarod," the older man said, softly, his hand on his shoulder," I think that I should call her, don't you?"

"No!" he whispered, then began to cough and Ben pulled a chair closer to the bed. His coughing spasm had grown worse, he was exhausted, in obvious pain; his skin burned to the touch.

"Jarod, she'll kill us both, if I don't call her," Ben said again, more forceful than before.

"Sweet release," he murmured.

"Pardon?"

"Death's road we all must go," Jarod said, somberly.






feedback sent to Giglbarbe@aol.com