Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: None of the characters belong to me--just borrowing them.
Thank you for not suing.



"Double" Pretending

part III
by Rachel



Bailey Malone, the team leader of the FBI VCTF, extended his hand to the woman who greeted him.

„It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Malone, and thank you for meeting with us," Miss Parker said warmly but professionally.

„It’s nice to meet you, too, Miss Parker. Please call me Bailey."

„My name is Maxine, but please call me Max"

Malone introduced the others to her and Broots, who now stood next to her after being ‘gently’ pulled from behind her. What she considered gentle was digging her nails into his arm so that all he could do was follow.

„What exactly is your interest in this case, Miss Parker? I mean, Max"

„We have been hired by the family of the recent victim to find her killer. Since you’re also working on the case, I thought we could work together and pool our resources."

Malone looked at her warily and shook his head. „We don’t work with other agencies."

„Broots here is the best computer geek on the face of this earth. No offense, George." George shook his head no. He wondered if she’s good enough to convince the tough man.

Miss Parker continued her plea. „We have access to information and equipment that the measly FBI budget couldn’t touch. You don’t put us on your payroll, so there’s no loss there. If we work together, you don’t get in our way and we don’t get in yours. You would still be in charge of the case. And I have something to offer that you won’t be able to resist."

„What would that be?" They all looked on with interest.

Broots looked at Miss Parker and whispered nervously, „Yeah, what would that be?"

Miss Parker walked around the table, taking off her jacket, and urged Rachel to stand up. Miss Parker stood next to her and smirked. „Bait."

With Miss Parker’s hair lengthened to her shoulders and dyed red, her similarity to Rachel was uncanny. They could pass as sisters.

The battle in Malone’s head was evident on his face. „We don’t operate that way. It’s too dangerous and it’s just not the way we do things."

„This bastard is going to find two more victims," Miss Parker’s voice was now taking on an edge that were making everyone uneasy, „why not use two trained professionals to handle it? Unless, of course, you’re not sure that Miss Burke here is capable….."

„I’m very capable, „ Rachel piped in, „I think this will work." She looked at Miss Parker and smiled. Miss Parker smiled back and a bond just formed between the two women.

„No, it’s too dangerous." Malone insisted. „We cannot risk….."

„I’m damned good at what I do, Mr. Malone. This is the only way we can catch this son of a bitch before he strikes again, if he hasn’t already picked out his next victims."

Malone was stuck. The woman was persistent. George and John were impressed at her ability--and not just that, she was darn good-lookin’.

„Fine." Malone conceded. Miss Parker and Rachel looked at each other triumphantly and smiled at each other again. But Rachel had a nervous smile. What did she get herself into? And who is this woman who got her into this?

„This is not a game, Miss Parker," Malone warned, „this is very dangerous."

„I understand that."

„How are you so confident? An unstable, psychotic killer can be unpredictable. Anything can go wrong."

„You can say I have my own personal guardian angel to take care of me." Miss Parker confided, thinking of Jarod. ‘And I have an unstable, psychotic killer for a brother,’ she thought of Mr. Lyle.

Malone was still uncertain about this woman and her sidekick. Miss Parker sensed his distrust.

***

Broots sat next to George and connected his computer. The two men punched away for information. They needed to find out the victims’ lifestyles--where they lived, where they ate, where they spent their vacations, where they hung out. Rachel ended up inviting Miss Parker to her apartment to discuss the case further and what they needed to do as „bait."

***

RACHEL’S APARTMENT

„So, Rachel, is there a tall, dark, handsome man in your life?"

„The only tall, dark, handsome man I’ve ever known was someone I met a long time ago."

„What happened?" Miss Parked nosed, but she caught a glimpse of sadness and discomfort in Rachel. „I’m sorry, being in the job that I am, I can’t help but be nosy."

„It’s okay. His name was Jarod."

„What’s he like?"

„Very mysterious and very troubled. He helped us with a case over a year ago. He’s brilliant, brave…" Rachel went on and on describing Jarod’s WONDERFUL traits. Miss Parker was beginning to get bored. She knows all these already. „…..and he loves my bouillabaisse" Rachel smiled at the thought of Jarod, not noticing the worried look on Miss Parker’s face. ‘She’s still got it bad, this can’t be good,’ Miss Parker thought.

„Have you seen him or heard from him lately?" Miss Parker asked.

Rachel’s smile disappeared and sadness took over her face. „No, I haven’t seen him in over a year. Hey let’s not get into this anymore, okay? We have work to do. Jarod is in the past." Rachel tried to sound cheerful.

„You’re right. Let’s get to work." A knock on the door made the two women pause.

„Who could that be?" Rachel asked glancing at her watch. She stood and walked to the door cautiously. Even though the ordeal with Marx was over, she was still nervous. Miss Parker also stood and stayed behind just enough to keep an eye on her. Rachel opened the door and was shocked at the visitor. It was Jarod.

Rachel stood there speechless. She ushered him in and wrapped her arms around his neck. Jarod hugged her back and looked at Miss Parker smiling. He pointed at her and mouthed, „I like your hair."

„Thank you," she mouthed back. „You can untangle yourself from her now," she mouthed very distinctly.

They broke the embrace and looked at each other happily. Miss Parker can only roll her eyes. Rachel took Jarod’s arm and turned to face Miss Parker.

„Max, this is Jarod. Jarod, this is Max. We’re working on a case together. What are you doing here, Jarod?"

„I was thinking about you and I heard you were working on a murder case. I want to help."

„Jarod," Miss Parker voiced, „how do I know we can trust you?"

„We can trust him, Max." Rachel defended, as she noticed Miss Parker’s scrutinizing gaze on Jarod.

„So Jarod?" Miss Parker questioned, „what do you do?"

„This and that. Odd jobs here and there."

„A drifter, huh? You running away from something? Or someone?" Miss Parker nosed again.

Rachel saw Jarod’s uneasiness and decided to rescue him from Miss Parker. „Don’t mind her, Jarod. She’s a private investigator. She’s naturally nosy." Rachel gave Miss Parker a friendly look to ease up on Jarod. Rachel went into the kitchen and began making coffee.

Jarod sat next to Miss Parker and pretended to engage in friendly chit chat, but speaking softly enough that Rachel couldn’t hear from the kitchen.

„She doesn’t know it yet, but we’re not staying. I have plans for you, Mister." Miss Parker whispered.

„I hope it involves cherries and whipped cream." Jarod said in a neutral voice, trying not to sound too excited.

„oooh, I’ll bring the handcuffs." Miss Parker cooed.

„Handcuffs?" Jarod asked confused.

Miss Parker looked at him bewilderedly. „Yeah, handcuffs?," she repeated, her eyes wide, trying to make him understand.

„Oh!" Jarod understood. „I was thinking about ice cream sundaes," he said innocently. Then he realized what he just said.

Miss Parker was dumbfounded. She tried not to smile, pressing her lips together tightly, but it was hard. She knew that if she cracked a smile, she would lose it and laugh out loud. She tried holding her breath, but that just made her breathing sporadic. It didn’t help that Jarod was doing the same thing. Miss Parker excused herself and almost ran to the bathroom. Jarod made a quick, lame excuse about checking something out in the hallway and made a beeline to the door, leaving Rachel holding two cups of coffee in her hands, wondering what’s going on.