Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: None of the characters belong to me--just borrowing them.
Thank you for not suing.



"Double" Pretending

part II
by Rachel




Jarod sat heavily on the couch in his apartment exhausted from another long day at the construction site. In this pretend, he wasn’t out to expose anyone or solve a case, just volunteering his expertise and physical ability to put up a Children’s Clinic. It was Miss Parker’s idea actually. She’s funding the whole project. Jarod smiled at the thought of her. He missed her but was relieved she wasn’t around. He would only get distracted, and so will the other workers. Besides, she’s a slave driver--wants everything done yesterday, and done perfectly. Jarod picked up his phone and dialed her number.

Miss Parker rushed out of the bathroom with her hair wrapped in a towel and picked up the ringing cell phone.

„Hi, Sweetheart," Jarod’s voice said tiredly at the other end.

„Hi. You sound tired." Miss Parker answered concerned.

„Long day at the office. I should be done tomorrow with my part of the project."

„How’s it going over there? Is my money getting spent wisely?"

„It’s going to be a great asset to the town. You’re doing a wonderful thing, Parker."

„I’m glad. I miss you, Jarod."

„I miss you, too. What are you up to?"

„Who said I was up to anything?"

„You’re always up to something, Parker." Jarod could almost see her smiling on the other end. He knows she can’t stand it when he’s always right about her.

„Well, since you asked. Can you meet us in Atlanta the next day?"

„What’s in Atlanta?" Jarod asked suspiciously.

„A murder case." Miss Parker responded casually.

„A what?! You’re not thinking….."

„I know I have to be there to solve this one. I just have a feeling, a connection somehow. Besides, I’m bored without you."

„Can’t you find something else to fill your boredom? Like shopping?"

„No."

„You said ‘us’, who else are you getting involved in this?"

„Broots, Sydney, and Angelo."

„Angelo? How are you going to manage that?"

„Already did. I still have what it takes to charm dear old Daddy. I told him we had a lead on you and we needed Angelo’s gift to figure it all out. He was so preoccupied with business, he didn’t care what I asked for. I don’t think he even heard what I asked for, just waved me off with a ‘Yes, Angel, you can.’„

„I’m sure you have your mind set on this, Parker. How pointless is it for me to try and talk you out of it?"

„Pointless. Broots and I will have to convince the FBI to let us work with them. You’ll have to figure out a way to get in on the team."

„The FBI? With Bailey Malone?"

„Yes, you know him?"

„I’ve worked with him before. He’s very suspicious of me. I don’t know if I can pull off getting on with the team again. And remember when I told you I was involved with someone from the FBI?"

„Oh! Rachel Burke!" Miss Parker exclaimed. „I knew that name sounded familiar. How close were you?"

„We were involved, but I haven’t had contact with her for over a year."

„That close, huh?" Miss Parker asked sarcastically. „That’s your in right there. Play on her attachment to you. Maybe after all this time, she still likes you. Just not TOO in, if you know what’s good for you." Miss Parker threatened.

„Jealous?" Jarod teased.

„No." Miss Parker said unconvincingly. „I know where your loyalties lie and I KNOW you know better than to cross me." She tried to sound tough, which only received a laugh from Jarod.

„I’ll look into the case and see what I can find out. Don’t do anything rash before you talk to me about it. Alright?" When he didn’t get a response, Jarod asked again, this time with more force, „Parker? Alright?"

„Alright, alright." She answered hastily.

‘Damn,’ Jarod thought ‘she’s already cooked up a plan. I am NOT going to like this.’

„I’ll see you in a couple of days, then."

„Dream of me, Jarod."

„Always do. I love you, Parker."

„I love you, too."