Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer-The Pretender and its characters do not belong to me nor do I own any part of them, no infringement is intended. I’m not trying to make money out of this.

By the way, this story is called Falling in the Darkness; It Ends is the name of the series of stories! Just wanted to set it straight!

Archived on date-Well I wrote it on 3/6/2001


It Ends; Falling in the Darkness
Part 2- Suspicions

by Likesalaughie




“Please hold” the man said glancing up at the two women standing at the desk, he put down the phone, “Can I help you?”

“Yes we’re here to see a Mr Parker… we have an appointment” Jones shifted uneasily as she said this, she didn’t like it here, there was something about this place…what was it? The man at the large reception desk turned to his computer, typing quickly he said;

“Yes, I have you down here for two o’clock” he pointed to a large chrome clock mounted on the wall behind them, it was ten to.

“We’ll wait” Delaney announced pulling Jones towards a big black leather sofa adjacent to the reception desk; she threw an apologetic smile towards the receptionist. Delaney looked at her watch again, she couldn’t bear to sit here staring at that man for ten minutes, and everything here was so...black, and…formal.

Staring up at them, the receptionist pulled his office chair back and hurried through a door behind him.

“It’s the two women, for Mr Parker,” he mumbled to the sweeper.

“Yes, we’ll deal with them” he said grabbing him by the shoulder and turning towards the door,” Get back to your job”.

“Where’s he gone?” Jones hissed.

“I don’t know, I don’t like this place, it gives me the creeps,” Delaney murmured. Jones frowned and indicated the small camera at the corner of the ceiling, watching them. Why all the cameras, Jones thought, what kind of company needed so many security cameras? There must have been at least 20 on the way in….

“Ah, Ms. Jones?” startled she looked up, a large man in a black suit stood looking down on her, who was he supposed to be? Men In Black? He gestured for them to follow him. Jones looked to Delaney, she just shrugged. He led them through a door and down a corridor; they walked for a long time. Delaney wondered why the president of a company would have his office so far away from the front entrance. The man ushered them into a lift and Jones noticed that it was a key card lift, should she say something? But she never did, something struck the back of her head and everything went dark, the last thing she heard was Delaney’s sudden shriek cut short.

“Mr Parker…they’ve been taken care of, the two women”

“Good” Mr Parker replied he turned his chair and gestured for the sweeper to leave the room. He backed out uncertainly, shuffling. The door creaked shut and Mr Parker picked up the phone.

“Can I get you something from the bar miss?” Miss Parker pulled her sunglasses down her nose and looked up at the waiter. She glared up at him; she was trying to relax. He mumbled some sort of apology as he turned and broke into a jog as he returned to the bar. Miss Parker began to reapply her sun cream as she looked around her, finally she was on holiday, and she really needed this, a chance to be by herself with no interruptions what was that? Her phone rang wildly in her bag, why did she have to bring it? She grabbed it and all the people around the pool looked up startled as she yelled.

“What?!…Oh, hi Daddy…no…the reason I went on holidays was to have a break from work…no! I don’t need you do…no…I know you care but…okay yes I’ll talk to you later, yes Daddy okay, bye!” She threw the phone in her bag, why had everyone gone so quiet? She marched away.

“Who’s she, the loud one? Your little friend?” the barman asked the now blushing waiter. He just ignored him.

Miss Parker marched angrily along, there was her holiday…ruined! She threw open the door of her beach front room and grabbed the phone, now to head back, why couldn’t she just stay until she got a decent tan? Next time she would have to learn to part with her phone, this brought a smile to her lips that was quickly wiped away.

“What do you mean you only have coach?!” she screamed.

“This is the deal,” Clarke said,” Jones and Delaney haven’t reported back.” The people around the long table shifted in their seats, as Clarke stood up, he was a tall man and he towered over them all.

“We never had enough before, they’ve been doing this kind of thing for years and this, along with the E-mail, there’s a copy of that here, is enough we won’t stand for this.” The others nodded their agreement. “As you can see, someone within the centre has been giving us information, all we have is the name Timmy, we’ve been trying to get contact but, that’s proving difficult. We’re taking action,” he said

“It’s time”

Sydney was very worried, why was this happening? Jarod wasn’t cooperating, he wouldn’t speak to anyone, he wouldn’t eat, and he just sat there staring straight ahead. Jarod sat on the other side of the one-way mirror, he knew Sydney was watching him, he was trapped, he was trapped in darkness and it frightened him, he didn’t know what to do, he just wanted to die…and be over with it. There he was falling in the darkness, maybe to his death.