Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

This is a story written for fun and not money. It is written for myself and others who may want to read it. The Characters are not mine, I'm just borrowing them from NBC's The Pretender. The story begins at the end of Donoterase, which also belongs to the writers of NBC's TV show The Pretender. I have no money - I'm just an extreme Pretender fan. J

Caution - This story has a very dark beginning and will become lighter after a while. Reader be warned. jojarod50 This is part one of ? .

This begins at Iversonville airport at the end of Donoterase` - Season 3



In Pursiut Of Happiness
Part 1
by jojarod50






Jarod was appalled by everything that had just happened. He had expected some sort of complications, knowing he was dealing with the Centre, but nothing like this. Miss Parker lay on the runway cradled her dad's arms, after being brutally shot in the back during an attempted assassination of her dad. It horrified Jarod to realize that he must have been too preoccupied with excitement over being reunited with his dad and Gemini to consider all the variables. Was he responsible for this? Bridgett's gun had stopped him from getting her transported to a medical facility and his futile attempt of outrunning Raines' helicopter had gained him nothing. Miss Parker was in critical condition and now he was helpless to help her. He had watched with relief and bitterness as his dad, Major Charles, and the clone made their getaway leaving him behind. Now, the rest of his world was slipping away.

* * *

The Centre Helicopter landed on the runway near the wrecked motorcycle and Jarod who was sprawled on the ground. One of the Black towncars pulled up and stopped. The car doors flew open and Raines team made a bee- line for Jarod. Willie the sweeper helped Mr. Raines out of the Helicopter clutching his portable O2 tank. Jarod was inundated with waves of pain after being hurled from his speeding motor cycle. It took two painful tries for him to sit up. The pretender looked up at his captors still dazed as the reality of his capture came crashing in on him. Mr. Lyle, Willie, and Bridgett circled their prey. Raines hurried over to the injured pretender ecstatic to welcome him back to the Centre.

Jarod's heart sank Bridgett pulled back the hammer on her gun, as Lyle said, "Get up, Jarod, we're going for a little ride."

Jarod tried to get up, but fell back as pain radiated through his battered body.

He had torn up his knees, shoulder, and elbows pretty badly, not to mention his black leather jacket.

His palms burned painfully, as much of the first few layers of skin had been scraped away by the asphalt.

Lyle motioned to two of his sweepers to get Jarod on his feet. They yanked him upright and tightly cuffed his wrists making Jarod wince in pain.

"What about Miss Parker, Lyle? She's going to bleed to death!" Jarod managed to say before his knees buckled and he fell back against the sweepers who held him fast.

"Jarod, I'm so touched you care about my sister's well being."Lyle said with exaggerated feelings.

He motioned with his chin and the sweepers dragged Jarod to the waiting helicopter.

Off in the distance, Sydney looked on in horror.

He had been a fool for being a part of the Center and now he couldn't bear to think of what lay in store for Jarod.

Jarod struggled weakly against his captures trying to see what the others were doing for Miss Parker but was yanked back hard toward the door of the Helicopter and was loaded aboard. It was over.

Sydney forced himself to look away.

He had to help get Miss Parker to the hospital before it was too late and there was little he could do to help Jarod right now.

It was more than he could bear to think about his prodigy in the hands of Raines and Lyle.

Jarod had always managed to exist on the edge of emotional stability without breaking. How much more could Jarod endure before he had a total breakdown?

Jarod's screams came crashing through his whirling thoughts.

Sydney turned to see what was happening but they were already aboard.

He could hear the pretender's frantic cries and then his screams abruptly stopped sending a chill through Sydney's body.

* * *

Mr. Parker's voice demanded his attention as he and Broots were ordered to get Miss Parker into the car.

She had lost so much blood Parker feared he'd lose her.

"Broots, you drive!" he barked as he got in back with Sydney and his daughter

"Floor it!" he screamed angrily knowing a line had been crossed.

Was Bridgett in on it, too? He'd have to sort it out later. Survival was 1st priority.

Miss Parker lay there motionless and so pale.

Syd took her pulse. It was very faint, but still regular. There was still time.

They had gotten the bleeding under control, thanks to Jarod, and a hospital wasn't too far away. Broots drove like a madman. She was closer to him than anyone and though he was scared he was filled with raw determination to save her life.

As they flew down the highway they heard sirens coming up quickly from behind. Broots was reluctantly ordered to pull over and stop. The patrol car pulled up behind them, lights flashing.

"Damn, "Parker cursed, "we can't have center involvement. Let me do the talking."

The officer stepped out of his car and headed for the black Town car, as his backup finished phoning in the tags.

Parker spoke first through his opened window, "Officer, thank God! We've been the victims of a drive by shooting. My daughter was shot and is near death. For God's sake, help us!"

The officer looked in the back seat and saw Syd holding a cloth over Miss Parker's wound and the blood... so much blood.

The young officer raced back to his car and slid into the driver's seat grabbing the mike, "We have a medical emergency. Gunshot victim needs immediate assistance. Request permission to escort to Gardner Reese Medical Center."

Moments later, it was granted and they were on their way.

Mr. Parker shook his head. More problems to be sorted out later.


* * *

The Centre helicopter was heading straight back to Blue Cove.

The scene inside was very intense.

Jarod stared out of the window taking in every site, tears stinging his eyes.

He knew this might be the last time he saw the outside world.

NO! His mind screamed. There'll be a chance to escape and he'd take it.

Jarod considered Willie's gun trained on him - Be patient for a little while.

Jarod attempted to block out all thoughts about his dad, Gemini, and Miss Parker.

Don't think! Be ready to react, he told himself.

He cared deeply for Miss Parker and had tried so hard to get her to see the truth about the Centre, her dad's duplicity, and how much danger she was in by being involved.

He had failed to get through to her and now, if she'd die, he'd be as guilty as they would. Jarod again tried to clear his wandering mind.

Right after the sweepers had brought Jarod aboard the Helicopter, Raines had injected him with something, probably some variation of a strong tranquilizer judging by the effects.

They didn't sedate him. No doubt they'd vigorously interrogate him back at the Centre. The Centre. Jarod shuttered violently and shut his eyes as a tide of bitter memories flooded his mind.

When he opened his eyes he saw Raines staring at him.

The evil man looked over at him with beefy eyes, appraising him from head to toe.

"One Gemini out of all those tries.and now. we've hit the jackpot." Raines wheezed. "You've just made our prospective odds of new successes much better by joining us, Jarod"

"And what makes you think I'll co-operate with you?" the pretender challenged with a smirk on his face.

" Oh, you're going to co-operated. No one will stop me from succeeding; least of all you." Raines hissed in a low gravelly voice.

Jarod looked deep into Raines black eyes and saw death and Hades, but responded with bored disinterest.

He wasn't about to show Raines his fear, no matter what.

* * *

The Helicopter landed on top of the Centre at the heli-pad site.

Raines had phoned ahead for his private jet to be fueled and ready for a transatlantic flight.

This time Jarod would have no help escaping.

But first, they'd have a little talk with him.

Getting the DSA's out of the country at this time would be preferable.

"This turn of events couldn't have happened at a better time." Raines hissed.

"Get Jarod off the Helicopter and down to my private lab."

Willie untied the pretender and handcuffed his bloody hands behind his back.

Another sweeper came on board to help Jarod to the door.

Two more sweepers were there to meet them as they debarked.

Willie let him slip as he was transferred to the waiting dark suits.

Under the influence to the drug and with his injuries, Jarod could hardly walk and was literally dragged off the Helicopter.

Once off, they dragged him through the opened Centre doors, which were manned by heavily armed cleaners.

Jarod held his head up best he could and wore a defiant look masking his pain and fear. This was going to get ugly and he knew it.

* * *

Once inside, Raines headed for a brief meeting in the Tower while Jarod was "escorted" by two dark suits, Lyle, and Willie to Dr. Billy's lab.

They arrived without incident and Lyle punched in the code on the door lock relishing the moment.

The sweepers dragged Jarod to a waiting chair and set him down.

"Jarod, I'm personally looking forward to working with you, but first we need the location of the DSAs you stole from the Centre."

Jarod shook his head slowly side to side with an incredulous expression and simply said, "Now Mr. Lyle, you know me better than that."

"Lyle broke into an easy smile as if they were friends, "You're right Jarod, I guess I do." Lyle stood there with his eyes locked on Jarod's.

"Willie, come over here, please."

Willie walked over to Jarod and faced Lyle who kept his eyes riveted on Jarod's.

"Our pretender is having an attitude problem. I need to make a phone all. It won't take long. While I'm gone, I'd like you and your men to help Jarod remember what being at the Centre is all about."

"Yes, Sir!" Willie said.

Lyle smiled at his captive and turned to leave.

At the door, he turned to look at the pretender once more.

"You can't imagine how long I've waited for this, Jarod."

"Willie when you're done with him, strap him into that chair."

With that Lyle left.

"You're just wasting your time" was the last thing Lyle heard from Jarod as the door closed behind him.

Lyle peeked through the security window in the door to catch a glimpse of the helpless pretender as the sweepers advanced on him.

* * *

Mr. Raines still had several loose ends to tie up.

He was extremely pleased how everything was progressing.

Raines relished the thought of working without Sydney meddling into his affairs.

Poor Sydney just didn't have what it takes to make profound Scientific advances.

He was too soft.

He'd always been so protective of the prodigy, but now Raines would finally have absolute power over the pretender.

After about five hours, Raines headed down to his lab to check on Lyle's progress with Jarod.

Lyle had a way of getting things done for him, albeit, crude and unorthodox at times, but he usually got results.

This time, however, his efforts here were proving disappointing.

* * *

Raines had been observing Lyle with Jarod for 10 minutes.

Jarod had blacked out again and Raines was losing patients.

"Lyle we don't have much time left. Do what you can, but do it quickly or do I need to call someone else in. Failure here might warrant your removal from the Jarod project." Sometimes threats were needed for quicker results.

Lyle heard the unveiled threat and was beginning to wonder why he ever thought he could torture Jarod into revealing the location of the DSAs.

Jarod seemed hell bent on taking this secrete to his grave.

The crack was widening in Lyle's smooth demeanor as he selected an extremely strong short life stimulant off the tray and injected it into the pretender's upper arm.

Jarod moaned and his face contorted in pain.

He began to get the shakes as he surfaced again from oblivion.

"Welcome back, Jarod, we really do need a little cooperation out of you." Lyle said in a parental sort of way.

Jarod tried to focus on the man who had him strapped him to one of Dr. Billy's oversized lab chairs at his chest, arms, waist, and ankles.

If it weren't for the straps he'd fallen straight to the floor.

Jarod had been brutally beaten by Willie's men and he was livid.

Lyle grabbed the prodigy by his hair pulling his face within inches of his.

"Jarod, you missed the excitement - while you were in dreamland we intercepted your dad and Gemini."

Jarod's voice was weak but defiant. "Lyle, how can I trust anything a certifiable thug like yourself would say? You really should get some help."

Lyle's eyes narrowed. "Pictures never lie," he said, showing Jarod faked pictures of his dad and Gemini being apprehended by sweepers and several of them being confined at the Centre.

Jarod closed his eyes considering the evidence.

If it weren't for the stimulant he'd probably pass out from the physical pain and shear anguish he was in, but he was determined not to show weakness.

"You know those could have easily been faked. Only a fool would expect a pretender to swallow this."

There was now a noticeable wrinkle in Lyle's smooth demeanor.

Lyle laughed, "Jarod if I thought you were stupid, I'd say you were trying to provoke me."

Lyle's hand swiftly connected with Jarod's face slamming his head sideways blooding his bruised face.

"Your dad might die soon, I'm told, and Gemini should be on a plane to Africa within a few hours. It's over Jarod. You might as well tell us where you hid the DSAs."

Jarod realized that even if what he said was true, there was nothing he could do to help them or himself.

His guess was that they didn't have Major Charles or Gemini or they would have had the DSAs, too.

Jarod's heart was racing. He had to know the truth.

"You'll have to show me them before I'll ever believe you!"

Lyle knew he'd lost this round and became enraged picking up a scalpel.

"You know, Jarod, we have some unfinished business from the past to attend to. How does the saying go: a thumb for a thumb? Payback's a bitch isn't it!"

"Stop it you fool", Raines wheezed.

Lyle gave Raines a disappointed look and put the scalpel down.

"You're right, Mr. Raines, first things first. Jarod and I will finish our personal business later."

Grabbing Jarod by his bloodied shirt Lyle hissed, "No deals! I promise you, Jarod, you will never see Major Charles or the boy again."

"Take our pretender to the little room we've prepared for him, for his little twelve hour trip, NOW!"

Lyle grabbed a syringe and injected it into Jarod's arm.

"I'll be seeing you shortly, Jarod."

Two sweepers removed the straps and dragged Jarod out of the chair.

He hit the floor hard struggling against the pain.

Then they grabbed him and dragged him out of the room.

Jarod was panic stricken.

He was too weak to fight and was overwhelmed with helplessness and grief.

They dragged him as he vainly struggled against them, for what seemed like forever and then they stopped.

One punched in a security code and he heard the lock release.

They dragged him in and dropped him on the cold cement floor.

The sweepers were saying something he couldn't make out and he could hear the sound of something being lowered from the ceiling.

Lying there on his back, Jarod could see some kind of armature with various types of lighting devices being lowered down to about 3' from the floor.

The sweepers grabbed Jarod abruptly and dragged him to the far wall opposite the apparatus and attached him to it with the built in arm and leg restraints.

Jarod couldn't stand up and hung limply by his shackles.

He saw the hopelessness of his situation, but refused to give up.

He knew that if he didn't talk they were going to kill his dad.

Jarod shook his head.

No, there's no proof that they caught either of them.

But why had he just forgotten that?

He was experiencing overwhelming waves of confusion invading his mind as Dr. Billy's version of a hypnotic truth drug flooded his brain.

What have they done to me now?

Raines hoped Jarod's mind would become so fragmented that he would tell them where the DSA's are without even realizing it.

The effects would not be permanent, lasting about 12 hours, and their pretender would remain in tact.

Jarod was hallucinating now.

He looked up and saw the sickly green walls beginning to move as if they were breathing.

They seemed to be closing in on him rapidly.

Blinding lights across the cell came to life and flashed at an ever-increasing tempo until he could hear them pounding in his head.

"Why are you doing this to me?" he whimpered, barely able to speak.

Then he heard a small voice whisper; "they are trying to break me."

The flashing went on for several hours throwing him into a demonic nightmare world of his own invention.

Abruptly, the lights went out plunging him into unspeakable darkness.

The drugged pretender felt his mind slipping away as his world became a bottomless pit full of vile creatures.

He screamed in terror, as he hallucinated he was being buried alive.

Panicking he tried to get loose from the restraints and failed.

Hell was spinning now and he with it.

He heard voices all around him but couldn't hear what they were saying.

The restraints were cutting deeply into his flesh as he struggled against the invisible demons.

It had been 6 hours when Lyle entered the cell.

"Hi Jarod, having fun?"

Jarod searched for the source of that voice.

Slowly, the room became dimly lit and he struggled to focus on Lyle's face that was smiling wickedly at him.

"We're giving you the last chance to tell us where the DSAs are before we kill Major Charles. Save your dad, Jarod or he is going to die a slow and horrific death, because of you."

Jarod fought down the terrible psychotic thoughts he was having and feelings of shear terror.

He struggled to clear his mind and failed miserably.

"Show him to me." Jarod managed to whisper while gasping for air.

Abruptly, the door flung open and Raines slithered in wheeling his tank behind him. "Mr. Lyle, I need to talk to Jarod now."

Lyle craned his neck to see Raines and took in the sight of 4 sweepers with him.

"There's been a change of plans. We've been forced to move the schedule up 12 hours. You've got a meeting to go to."

"Escort Mr. Lyle to the Tower, Now!"

Lyle shuttered and pasted an overconfident smile on his face as he left with 2 of the sweepers.

Raines watched with satisfaction as he left then approached the Pretender who was sobbing quietly as he hung limply from the wall.

"Get him down now and hurry! We're moving him to SL 25 room 17."

The sweepers carried him swiftly to the waiting gurney, strapped him on, and had him on the elevator in no time.

Raines stood there a minute smiling and made his way to Jarod's new room where he would get him ready to transport.

Time was of the essence, as Mr.Parker would be back by the morning, but Raines would be long gone by then.

* * *

SL.25 room17: Jarod was fading in and out of conscienceness.

His mind was fried and the physical pain was overwhelming.

Raines entered the room and stepped up to the gurney where Jarod's prone body lay.

To the right of him was a small operating tray.

Raines injected the protégé with a strong sedative, as he lay there limp moaning quietly. Once sedated, Raines deftly made a small incision partway down his back and inserted a tracking chip.

As the old man quickly sutured the wound he rasped, "Jarod, you're too smart for .your own good."

He paused a moment to take a slow raspy breath. " I've had about all I'm going to take. from you."

Raines eyes danced over his work.

"Let's see if you can make up. for all the grief. that you've caused me. Now. you won't be able to get away!

"Get him to the Helicopter pad. I'll be right there."

Immediately, the sweepers wheeled him out to the elevator and headed to the roof-landing pad.

The helicopter was waiting with Willie and Lyle.

The Sweepers hoisted Jarod up and into the waiting seat where he was strapped down. Jarod was out cold.

Raines said, "You take good care of Jarod until I get to the airport. He shouldn't give you any trouble. He'll be out cold until we're on the plane and well underway."

Giving the thumbs up they were in the air and headed for a separate Centre airport. Raines headed for the elevator.

He and an old associate of his took off in a car from the Centre and headed to the waiting plane.

"It's ashamed. we couldn't get the DSAs. at this time, but with Jarod .we'll have plenty to do. and of course he will tell us
eventually,"Raines wheezed.

"Yes, that is too bad, Mr. Raines," Kilmmer said eyeing him carefully.

"I am so looking forward.to working with you .on the Jarod project, "Raines offered.

"I'm sure between the two of us, we'll convince Jarod of the importance of co-operating fully." Dr. Kilmmer said with a sparkle in his eye.

"I was.disappointed that our little experiment was cut short. Picking Jarod's brains while under the influence of our experimental drug would have been very interesting indeed, if not fruitful." Raines mentioned with a distracted look as he checked his watch.

"Will the labs be up and running when we get to Berlin, Dr. Kilmmer?"

"It's all just waiting for us to get there."

"Do you have any ethical reservations about this? I need to know now if you can't follow this to its logical conclusion."

Raines gave a maniacal laugh, " Oh, there will be no problem at all. It's my pleasure."

* * *

It was 4 am in the morning and the plane was ready to go when Dr. Kilmmer and Raines arrived at the airport.

The sky was full of ominous clouds, visible only when the violent lightning snaked its tendrils across the sky.

The low rumble Raines knoticed on the way to the airport was now replaced with the loud angry thunder and rain was beginning to fall.

"Are all the project files aboard and Jarod's medical records, etc.?"

Lyle spoke from his seat near the front of the plane.

"Don't concern yourself. The Tower provided everything necessary for the success of our project."

Lyle's eyes danced with anticipation of the cruelty he would soon inflict on Jarod in the interest of science.

He turned and glared back at the unconscience pretender who was heavily ensconced in his seat and flanked by two burly guards.

Most of the medical team and scientists were seated in the middle of the plane and engaged in a vigorous debate about ethics and unorthodox medical procedures.

Raines and Dr. Kilmmer were going over their schedule for the first week at the Offenheim lab as the plane engines powered up and they began to taxi down the runway. Raines knoticed how impressive the lighting display was as he heard another loud clap of thunder.

The plane paused in position as the pilot entered the cabin and walked over to Raines. "Sir, the weather is getting pretty iffy. The storm is causing a lot of turbulence up there and you'd be guaranteed a safer ride if you would delay at least an hour or so."

The captain stepped back as Raines wild eyes riveted on him.

"No delays. We go now. Do you understand clearly?"

"Yes Sir."

The pilot said breaking eye contact to look at his shoes.

He then turned and headed back to his work without further questions.

The wind had noticeably picked up and rain began to pelt the windows of the plane. Never the less, they were off the ground and in the air in no time and without a hitch. Raines smiled to himself as he visualized Mr. Parker arriving at the Centre and the look he would have on his face when he figured out his pet project had slipped through his fingers for good.

It had been about 10 minutes since takeoff, and Lyle was feeling a little queasy from the turbulence, but as usual was putting up a good front while talking with Dr. Janet Carter, who was endowed with much more then just brains.

It was obvious they had more of a history together than just this plane ride.

The captain came on the speakers,"Ladies and gentlemen, please remain in your seats, as we are going to attempt to climb above the storm. It's sure to get a lot more turbulent. Just try to relax. This shouldn't take long."

Suddenly, a blinding white light flashed and a ball of blue light diffused though the cabin as the plane violently jolted. They were going down! Lights were out and there was a hint of smoke in the air.

* * *


Sorry to leave it here - remember bad guys always get it in the end.. Please be patient. If you absolutely hate this - please be kind with your comments. J This is my 1st attempt at writing.